Sexuality is Not a Choice

DeletedUser

Okay. I don't want to get too off topic, so I am going to make this as simple as possible so that your underdeveloped brain can understand it so that we can move on.

I follow the evolution theory. You may say "Well it is just a theory". But it isn't. The only reason it is called a theory is because EVERYTHING in science is called a theory.

It has nothing to do with whether it is "proven" because NOTHING in science is ever considered "proven." Gravity is still stated as a theory, so unless you have some ridiculous idea that God is holding all of us down to this planet you should agree that Gravity although still presented as a theory is very real. And so is evolution. In fact there is more evidence to support Evolution than there is to support the idea of gravity. We understand what causes evolution. We don't know what causes gravity or mass yet. We know how long it has taken for most species to evolve. Our common ancestors and all of the genetic and environmental factors that can cause evolution to happen. We can look at each others genes and even edit them to influence evolution in our own way. We have fossil evidence of animals that failed to evolve quickly enough and died out through natural selection and we have found many remains of less developed human beings. And even completely different species of the human species that evolved differently due to different diets.

Meanwhile over at the creationism camp... God made heaven and earth in 7 days... okay. Now what is your evidence to support that? Or any other ridiculous creationist theory you have.

If you really want to insist that creationism is a valid belief then open up a thread. I will happily point out the many short comings in that crack pot theory.

I was not the one who opened up the topic of creation vs evolution it was you.
Originally Posted by yidboi
"If everyone was homosexual then evolution would have developed a way millions of years ago for us to procreate... we didn't really come from Adam and Eve and all that other creationist rubbish that the bible preaches."

First evolution has not been proven and it never will be because its false. Second the fossil evidence can and has been interpreted in many ways and scientist who believe in this crack pot theory can not even agree on the fossil evidence. Third, the bible does not actually say how long the "days" are. The word translated to "day" meant a period of time. The days could not have been 24 hour literal days as we are still in the seventh "day." There are many examples of this in the scriptures of the word "day" being used to describe a long period of time.

Genesis 2:2
New International Version (©1984)
By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.

Hebrews 4:10
for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his.

God's rest is continuing as is the seventh day.

As for evolution (and science for that matter) it has not even explained how life actually started. It cannot even explain why thing could have evolved as quickly as they appeared. Also living things need fuel, structure, and to be set in motion. You cannot get this from random events. The explanation that "it must of happened because it did" falls flat in the face of reason.

The theory of evolution is not proven or even possible.

DeletedUser

So no reply to [my] post that your compassionate god created such screwed up genetics that give us cancer, MS, CF, ALS, etc, but the idea of homosexuality being genetic is just repugnant? That's one sick twisted deity you have there.

Romans 5:12

Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned--

Screwed up genetics are just a symptom of sin, and the final result is death. This is not God's doing.
"but the idea of homosexuality being genetic is just repugnant?" Never said that, just that genetics is not an excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Most of you are activists and no one will change your mind in what you believe right or wrong.
In my opinion (not that it will be welcomed or acknowledged), there are hormones that attract even hetrosexuals to the same sex but that doesn't mean you need to sleep with them.
How many times have we seen big obese people blame their weight on genetics, then say they eat what a family of 5 would eat in a whole day, they have for breakfast.

It is partly a choice, not that it is a sin or anything like that, just there is always a choice weather we give into desires, I'm not saying it is right or wrong.
It goes deeper though, then these gay people want children, if we accept they are gay then why can't they accept gay couples can't have children of their own (2 males especially), it is all messing with genetics, pumping testosterone into women that want to be men, then they decide they want to give birth as a man years down the line, now that is playing with nature.
End of the day male-male female-female is not wrong nor is it right, the human race like any other species on this planet is engineered to breed and continue our existence, everyone turning gay isn't going to help an awful lot......
I am married have 3 kids, have gay civil married aunt (which I accept on the grounds possessions are secure if her or her partner die), no religious beliefs and always try to give an honest account of myself.

Give people an inch, they will want a mile.

DeletedUser

As for evolution (and science for that matter) it has not even explained how life actually started. It cannot even explain why thing could have evolved as quickly as they appeared. Also living things need fuel, structure, and to be set in motion. You cannot get this from random events. The explanation that "it must of happened because it did" falls flat in the face of reason.
*Nzzzt* Wrong, but thanks for playing.

Apples & Oranges
Evolution is about the process of biological change over time, not the beginning of life.
Religious creationism is a non-scientific postulation on the origins of life
Abiogenesis is the scientific study into the origins of life.

Abiogenesis and evolution = apples and oranges.
Abiogenisis and Creationism = apples and wannabe-apples.
Evolution and Creationism = oranges and wannabe-apples.

The explanation that "it must of happened because it did" falls flat in the face of reason.
No, the explanation that "it must of happened because God made it so" falls flat in the face of reason.

First evolution has not been proven and it never will be because its false. Second the fossil evidence can and has been interpreted in many ways and scientist who believe in this crack pot theory can not even agree on the fossil evidence.
Create another thread if you want to tangentialize on the topic of evolution (typical fare for you, never willing to stay on topic).

A reminder that a scientific theory is not a guess, nor a belief. It is a conclusion based on heavily researched analysis of available data. In many respects, a scientific theory is as close to fact as evidence permits.

Willy, what you don't seem to understand is religions are the filler for ignorance. What we do not have answers to, that is ignorance. It's okay to be ignorant, it's okay not to have all the answers, and it's okay not to be satisfied with not knowing all the answers. The problem comes about when people are not okay with their ignorance, are not okay with not knowing, but are unwilling to work, to research, to study, to investigate, to obtain answers. It is this that helps to propagate beliefs, as a means to fill those gaps in knowledge, they take the lazy route. We do not know, so *poof*, some ultrapowerful entity made it all and we don't have to know.

In the case of evolution, it is both fact and theory, this we *know* and no *poof* is required to take us to fantasy land.

Fact
We have watched, measured, even influenced factors to capture evolution in action. This is fact, it is indisputable. Bacteria, fruit flies, even dogs and horses. In fact, breeding is the man-made exploitation of the natural evolutionary processes.

Theory
We have plenty of data on prehistoric creatures. From examination of DNA, bone structures, and other collections of data from different time periods, we are able to extrapolate, resulting in a theory that is very heavy in supporting data. I.e., human evolution, horse evolution, etc.

Third, the bible does not actually say how long the "days" are. The word translated to "day" meant a period of time. The days could not have been 24 hour literal days as we are still in the seventh "day." There are many examples of this in the scriptures of the word "day" being used to describe a long period of time.

Genesis 2:2
By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.

Hebrews 4:10
for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his.
Oooo, look at that, you quoted the Old Testament. *smirk*

Anyway, you seem to have a problem with understanding the difference between past and present tense. "Just as God did ..." Not does, not is --- but did, as in done. As in got up and said, "okay, rested for my day, time to go take a shower."

The presentation of "did" is in the NIV, NASB, NRSV, RSV, NKJV and other Bible transliterations. It is rendered as is written in the original Hebrew version. Reinterpretation on your part is incorrect, as asserted in the essay posed at the "Answers in Genesis" website --- http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/tj/v13/n2/rest

It is also affirmed in the Bible -- In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” ~ John 5:17 (NIV)

there are hormones that attract even hetrosexuals to the same sex but that doesn't mean you need to sleep with them.
This is incorrect. Please review the information I provided in the original post.

How many times have we seen big obese people blame their weight on genetics, then say they eat what a family of 5 would eat in a whole day, they have for breakfast. It is partly a choice, not that it is a sin or anything like that, just there is always a choice weather we give into desires, I'm not saying it is right or wrong.
Irrelevant and demonstrative ignorance. First, just because someone blames it on genetics doesn't make it true. Second, each and every obesity issue has a different causation and your sweeping comment fails to address this. Be it a physiological abnormality or a psychological malady, these do not make it "genetic," but instead put it into the category of disease. As is presented in a multitude of detailed peer-reviewed reports and studies, homosexuality is 'not' a disease.

In other words, horrible comparison.

It goes deeper though, then these gay people want children, if we accept they are gay then why can't they accept gay couples can't have children of their own (2 males especially), it is all messing with genetics, pumping testosterone into women that want to be men, then they decide they want to give birth as a man years down the line, now that is playing with nature.
Did you know that halting diseases, treating illnesses, is "playing with nature?" If you wish to argue against the notion of "playing with nature," we would all be dead by the age of 24.

Anyway, women who want children need only become pregnant; there are gay women. Men who want to have children can adopt; being they are straight or gay is irrelevant.

End of the day male-male female-female is not wrong nor is it right, the human race like any other species on this planet is engineered to breed and continue our existence, everyone turning gay isn't going to help an awful lot......
Considering we're dealing with a population issue on this planet, with 20,000 children dying every day, over 15 million every year, it is not unreasonable to think focusing on "procreation," as an argument against homosexuality, is a disconnect. In the other direction, there are millions of men and women who are simply incapable of procreating, and they're heterosexuals. To argue against homosexuality on the basis of procreation is looking at this from a very narrow, and selective, perspective.

I am married have 3 kids, have gay civil married aunt (which I accept on the grounds possessions are secure if her or her partner die), no religious beliefs and always try to give an honest account of myself.

Give people an inch, they will want a mile.
How does the former sentence in any way relate to the conclusion you presented? That's a fallacy of presentation right there homey, not to mention the slippery slope fallacy you presented in your closing sentence (give women the right to vote and the next thing you know, they want equal pay, equal rights, equal opportunity, omg!!!!).

DeletedUser

WillyPete, all your arguments and ideas are from the Medieval Age. You probably still believe that the Sun is spinning around the Earth and that the dinosaurs never existed.

Please educate yourself.

Thanks.

DeletedUser

WillyPete, all your arguments and ideas are from the Medieval Age. You probably still believe that the Sun is spinning around the Earth and that the dinosaurs never existed.

Please educate yourself.

Thanks.
Time time span for bible days are unclear; however if you take into account creatures were created first then there would be plenty of time for dinosaurs to have come and gone before man's creation. These paragraphs are written from God's perspective, and time is different for him.

2 Peter 3:8–9 reads:

‘But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.’

Not literally 1000 years but "like" a 1000 years. God's day is a milestone for his purposes not to be interpreted in human time because God exists outside of time and is not bound by it.

PS: I am well educated.

DeletedUser

Hellstromm what the hell are you on son, your the biggest activist on the forum..... I'd even go as far as saying your the biggest activist sitting behind a computer...... actually your probably the biggest activist on the planet.

You take things completely out of context all the time and there is no way you ever reason with other people's thoughts, you just seem to stubborn to have a discussion with, I'm not even going to bother replying to your quotes on me, go work for a newspaper lad, you'd probably fit right in.
I actually think you do it on purpose to get a rise out of it.
No hard feeling though ;)

@Eli Makepeace....... sorry I was just being a little sarcastic.

DeletedUser

*Nzzzt* Wrong, but thanks for playing.

Apples & Oranges
Evolution is about the process of biological change over time, not the beginning of life.
Religious creationism is a non-scientific postulation on the origins of life
Abiogenesis is the scientific study into the origins of life.

Abiogenesis and evolution = apples and oranges.
Abiogenisis and Creationism = apples and wannabe-apples.
Evolution and Creationism = oranges and wannabe-apples.

No, the explanation that "it must of happened because God made it so" falls flat in the face of reason.

Create another thread if you want to tangentialize on the topic of evolution (typical fare for you, never willing to stay on topic).

A reminder that a scientific theory is not a guess, nor a belief. It is a conclusion based on heavily researched analysis of available data. In many respects, a scientific theory is as close to fact as evidence permits.
The evidence is that many species appeared in a relatively short period of time according to fossil records. "Micro-evolution" failed to account for this, so a new theory of "macro-evolution" was adopted to account for this. Macro-evolution is the idea the species do not slowly evolve over time but rather jump quickly from one species to another. While micro-evolution could be described as creatures adapting to their surroundings, there is not enough evidence to conclude macro-evolution; in fact the evidence strongly suggests that macro-evolution if false.
Fact
We have watched, measured, even influenced factors to capture evolution in action. This is fact, it is indisputable. Bacteria, fruit flies, even dogs and horses. In fact, breeding is the man-made exploitation of the natural evolutionary processes.

Theory
We have plenty of data on prehistoric creatures. From examination of DNA, bone structures, and other collections of data from different time periods, we are able to extrapolate, resulting in a theory that is very heavy in supporting data. I.e., human evolution, horse evolution, etc.
You "fact" is measuring change of organisms not from one kind to another but within a kind. You cannot bread two different kinds of animals.

Your theory is not supported by the evidence.[/QUOTE]

Oooo, look at that, you quoted the Old Testament. *smirk*

Anyway, you seem to have a problem with understanding the difference between past and present tense. "Just as God did ..." Not does, not is --- but did, as in done. As in got up and said, "okay, rested for my day, time to go take a shower."

The presentation of "did" is in the NIV, NASB, NRSV, RSV, NKJV and other Bible transliterations. It is rendered as is written in the original Hebrew version. Reinterpretation on your part is incorrect, as asserted in the essay posed at the "Answers in Genesis" website --- http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/tj/v13/n2/rest

It is also affirmed in the Bible -- In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” ~ John 5:17 (NIV)
As I stated before the old testament is still valid but not as a law to enforce on others.
God rested from creation not from activity.

Edit:
"Create another thread if you want to tangentialize on the topic of evolution (typical fare for you, never willing to stay on topic)."

I was not the one who brought up this topic, Yidboi is.
Typical...attack and then when the opposition defends call it off topic...

DeletedUser

This topic is about Sexuality not being a choice. It is not about God creating the world in 7 literal or figurative days. It is not about microevolution/macroevolution. It is not about me getting back into journalism. It is not about Danzeman's daddy complex or WillyPete's wife.

Once again, this is about "Sexuality not being a choice." If you cannot debate the topic at hand, make a new thread. Better yet, I'll do it for you. Here we go:

Time time span for bible days are unclear <blah blah>
Seven Days: Literally or Figuratively?

The evidence is that many species appeared in a relatively short period of time according to fossil records. "Micro-evolution" failed to account for this, so a new theory of "macro-evolution" was adopted to account for this.
http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?p=631055

I was not the one who brought up this topic, Yidboi is.
It doesn't matter who started it, continuing it for two pages is the issue. Take it to the threads I started, take it out of this discussion. Focus on the topic of this thread and stop repeatedly derailing discussions at every opportunity presented by you or presented by others. Take responsibility for your participation in this and just get off the "derailing" habit. Thanks.

Oh, and Danzeman, if you want to start a new thread to discuss me, by all means do so... otehrwise, debate the topic at hand, thanks.

DeletedUser

It doesn't matter who started it, continuing it for two pages is the issue. Take it to the threads I started, take it out of this discussion. Focus on the topic of this thread and stop repeatedly derailing discussions at every opportunity presented by you or presented by others. Take responsibility for your participation in this and just get off the "derailing" habit. Thanks.

Hypocritical much? As if you did not reply to my post and further derail the topic..."Take responsibility for your participation in this and just get off the "derailing" habit."

DeletedUser

nice try, that post I deleted was intended for the other thread (had them all open at the same time). It is now in the correct thread. Stop being so damn juvenile and stay on topic.

DeletedUser

Ok for sure.

I will add to what I said earlier in this thread then, just save you getting bored Hellstromm.

A penis is supposed to be used for reproduction, a vagina is also used for reproduction, an anus is supposed to be used for ridding of waste from the body.
That is how we were designed to use them I believe, so if someone can't bring themselves to using their given tools the correct way that would make them NOT normal wouldn't it?
Don't get me wrong (like you normally do), it does not bother me in the slightest if a person is gay or not, I am just posing a few questions.

I also THINK that pheromones and chemical changes in the body DO play a part in sexuality, for example you can often (not always) tell a gay man from a very young age because of the way they talk (accent in their voice) and their body language, we've all grown up and said to our old pals from school "I knew that that Hellstrom would grow up to be gay" (just using it as an example).

As for the choice part, if you think about it, I mean really think outside the box (not your own little bubble), there is living proof that some people will stay in a relationship, a hetrosexual relationship for years, even have kids, then eventually say "I'm gay, I want a divorce, knew I was gay..... no no I'm gay end of story".
This is what I would call, desire, sexual urges and then DECIDING to give into them by CHOICE and I'd be more likely to say that was a midlife crisis because some have even gone back to their wife/husband some time down the line.

I know they wouldn't choose to have these feelings and desires, I agree with that....... what I'm saying is I think some people use the sex part of it to fulfil a desire or fantasy and therefore choose to be gay or bisexual for a short period of time (hate that expression, your either gay or straight).
There is no harm in this, I am not a detractor of gays, I am simply saying if biologically a gay person is engineered to be gay, then they are not normal (biologically), again no harm in that.
Most would know that otherwise society would accept it and they themselves would come out of the closet straight away and some would probably even choose NOT to be gay because of this even though they get them desires.

DeletedUser17649

Correct me if I wrong but I don't think the bible takes a stance on whether someone is born as a homosexual or not. It's just the act (among others) that the bible frown upon.
Apparently one commit sodomy but not be a sodomite (according to my lecturer.

If that's so, why can people get orgasms from anal sex? Because ting should be enjoyable or is it the dumb ass again?
Anyone who's perfectly normal will be abnormal due to the fact that pretty much everyone's weird in one way or another, and that of course depends on the situation, doesn't it?

The question is how gay those people really was then, isn't it?
Or perhaps they had other reasons to go back?

No you're not either straight or gay, some people find both genders attractive, think of it as a scale...
I agree, they're in a minority and by definition not normal.

DeletedUser

Correct me if I wrong but I don't think the bible takes a stance on whether someone is born as a homosexual or not. It's just the act (among others) that the bible frown upon.
Apparently one commit sodomy but not be a sodomite (according to my lecturer.

I don't mean we were designed by a being, I am not religious in any way if that is what you are getting at, what I am saying is the circle of life is designed that a man and a woman use the penis and vagina as tools to try to reproduce, the majority of humans I "presume" should be born with a natural instinct even if not taught sex education.

If that's so, why can people get orgasms from anal sex? Because ting should be enjoyable or is it the dumb ass again?
Anyone who's perfectly normal will be abnormal due to the fact that pretty much everyone's weird in one way or another, and that of course depends on the situation, doesn't it?

Well it is also possible to have an orgasms without even penetrating anything at all, as I said this is a sexual desire or urge, it doesn't mean you are gay if you like anal stimulation, especially if your a woman :D

The question is how gay those people really was then, isn't it?
Or perhaps they had other reasons to go back?
Well that is the question, "how gay is that person", how can they define being gay to an extent? Sexuality is not a choice, that is the topic, obviously these people have the ability to change their sexuality based upon their desires.[/QUOTE]

No you're not either straight or gay, some people find both genders attractive, think of it as a scale...
I agree, they're in a minority and by definition not normal.

Ok bisexuals are living proof that sexuality is a choice, they can frit between one sex to the other willy nilly, or are they just stuck in the middle of a genetic imbalance?