Sexuality is Not a Choice

DeletedUser

Yeah, they will still call you a bigot insist you are out to kill all gays, I have already been down this road...;)

LOL, that's ok. Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and beliefs.

However, the ones that insist on labeling (who claim Christians are all intolerant bigots) those with views like I posted are quite likely the intolerant ones.

I'll be the first to admit that I enjoy being around some people more than others, but I'd never avoid contact or a dinner invitation because someone who is gay might be there. I've had many gay friends and acquaintances over the years and I truly liked them personally. Their lifestyle (for want of a better term) was never a problem for me.

Anyway, the Bible teaches a way to live, a set of values. We all need a code to live by (like treat everyone the way you want to be treated) and the Bible is as good as any.

I remember the furor when Dan Brown's DaVinci Code came out. The church called him a heretic! Hey folks, its a work of FICTION and upon reading it a darned fine piece of work that kept me turning the pages. I suppose the premise of the book may even be plausible, but I have no real opinion other than that it's unlikely. The Bible really didn't speak to that issue (Jesus married to Mary Magnaline, having kids, etc), but I won't dismiss it out of hand either simply because the Bible doesn't tell me so.

See? Some Christians can actually have an open mind. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser16008

Yeah, they will still call you a bigot insist you are out to kill all gays, I have already been down this road...;)

Actually no one has said any such thing Willy, bigot yes but out to kill ? no thats just you being dramatic. The topic was choice or i guess hard-wired already. Whether or not its a sin is irrelevant to the aim of the topic but rather of what is the reason behind being gay.

Religion did not even have to factor into it at all, tip Willy would be to become a little more open minded that everything does not revolve around a faith for everyone or even a particular version.

When you become intolerant of another way of life you will find others instantly become the same of you. In reverse tolerance and open dialogue leads to better relations and egro respect and some understanding of the others opinion if not agreement.

I can respect someone's personal belief but not if they start trying to apply it to everything and/or everyone around them, which amounts to a lack of respect to them and usually finds the same returned.

DeletedUser16008

I remember the furor when Dan Brown's DaVinci Code came out. The church called him a heretic! Hey folks, its a work of FICTION and upon reading it a darned fine piece of work that kept me turning the pages. I suppose the premise of the book may even be plausible, but I have no real opinion other than that it's unlikely. The Bible really didn't speak to that issue (Jesus married to Mary Magnaline, having kids, etc), but I won't dismiss it out of hand either simply because the Bible doesn't tell me so.

See? Some Christians can actually have an open mind. :D

I would highly recommend The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln 1982. It is what Dan Brown mercilessly ripped off for his book 25 years later and far far more interesting and serious in its attempt to answer some questions and follow the trail where ever it may lead.

No theres nothing remotely gay about it and im a bit off topic but this thread has about come to its end I think.

A choice or Hardwired in already ? it would have been cool to have a first hand point of view but it has been an interesting ? topic.

DeletedUser

My apologies for going OT on this.

As for Choice or Hardwired? Can I choose Gender Confused instead?

DeletedUser

Capt. Caveman;632613The Bible says in Leviticus that we are not to have sex with members of the same sex....[/QUOTE said:
I'm with you so far, but .....

.....and God calls it abomination (ie; a sin). The same Bible ALSO says that God hates the sin, but loves the sinner. We're all sinners and in His eyes we're all pretty much in the same boat headed down crap creek without a paddle.

As for me, I'll stick with God's view on the topic and hate the sin but continue to love those that sin. Which means all of you whether you be gay or not.
Your suppressed premisses there are:
1. There is a God.
2. He endorsed the Bible.
Neither of which really work for me.

Btw. I got talking to some Muslims the other day and they were just as fervent and convinced that the Koran held God's word as any Christian fundamentalist would be about the Bible. I did what I usually do and just smiled and nodded, but inside I always wonder what it must be like to have a mind that works in such a way. It's a total mystery to me.

DeletedUser

I'm with you so far, but .....

Your suppressed premisses there are:
1. There is a God.
2. He endorsed the Bible.
Neither of which really work for me.

Btw. I got talking to some Muslims the other day and they were just as fervent and convinced that the Koran held God's word as any Christian fundamentalist would be about the Bible. I did what I usually do and just smiled and nodded, but inside I always wonder what it must be like to have a mind that works in such a way. It's a total mystery to me.

Suppressed? Ya lost me there. Supposed perhaps?

If we're going to debate a religious topic then of course I will speak based on my faith that God exists.
All three major groups (Judaism, Islam and Christianity) maintain that God AUTHORED the Bible, Torah & Koran so I guess He would also endorse them.
All three groups also recognize their Book as the inerrant Word of God as well and is the final Authority.
And btw, all three groups revere the same God of Abraham and are actually related to each other, with Judaism being the eldest of the three. And further the three major groups all teach very similar tenets with regards to conduct and daily living. Its a shame we can't all get along any better than we have.

Sorry if it doesn't work for you or fit your particular set of beliefs, but again you can't have a debate with only one point of view.

Oh and I hold my faith in my heart rather than my mind which works the same as most folks. No big mystery there. It's just simple Faith is all.

DeletedUser

Suppressed? Ya lost me there. Supposed perhaps?
If you're not a philosopher, Google'll put you straight.

If we're going to debate a religious topic then of course I will speak based on my faith that God exists.
All three major groups (Judaism, Islam and Christianity) maintain that God AUTHORED the Bible, Torah & Koran so I guess He would also endorse them.
Each or all three? The latter would be kind of awkward for Christians since the Koran denies the divinity of Jesus or that God had a son.
All three groups also recognize their Book as the inerrant Word of God as well and is the final Authority.
Yep, that's the problem.

Sorry if it doesn't work for you or fit your particular set of beliefs, but again you can't have a debate with only one point of view.
For me it's less about belief than reason.

Oh and I hold my faith in my heart rather than my mind which works the same as most folks. No big mystery there. It's just simple Faith is all.
I guess I follow my head, then. :)
Oooh! Off-topic - better watch out!