Sexuality is Not a Choice

DeletedUser

This is a response to a tangential statement made by WillyPete in another thread, when he was defending his faith-based condemnation of homosexuals ---

Regardless of what you say homosexuality is a choice

No Willy, it is not a choice. Preference is subjective and often oppressed by societal pressures, but it is clearly not a choice. Read on:

There are physiological/biological (DNA) differentiations that result in differing results and influenced by, and of, prenatal hormonal secretions. Since 1973, the bulk of the study has been performed by psychologists, because in 1973 the American Psychiatric Association, along with professionals in medicine, mental health, behavioral and social sciences, conclusively determined that homosexuality is not a disorder, nor abnormal. As psychiatrists focus on the treatment (usually through imposition of medication) of disorders, this decision by the APA effectively ended any further psychiatry-based pathology studies.

However, psychologists study all aspects of human behavior, not merely the treatment of disorders. In the decades since 1973, the American Psychological Association determined that same-sex sexual and romantic attractions, feelings, and behaviors are normal and positive variations of human sexuality. I.e., the standing, 40-year consensus in the professional fields are that homosexuality is a, "normal variation of human sexual orientation." [1]

In respects to same-sex marriage, the American Psychological Association, in a brief to the Supreme Court, concluded, "there is no scientific basis for distinguishing between same-sex couples and heterosexual couples with respect to the legal rights, obligations, benefits, and burdens conferred by civil marriage." [2]

Further, earlier studies were made by the U.S. military as far back as World War II, with the oldest recorded study affirming what has been consistently presented in their reports, consistent with present findings, which is that, "the homosexual leads a useful productive life, conforming with all dictates of the community, except its sexual requirements" and was "neither a burden nor a detriment to society." Fry and Rostow reported that, based on evidence in service records, homosexuals were no better or worse than other soldiers and that many "performed well in various military jobs" [3]

In all the valid studies, it was determined that homosexual and heterosexual early histories ("nurture") do not differ substantially as to warrant conclusive external causations. Early studies determined prenatal hormones to be a major factor in determining sexuality (and transgender status), but a DNA study back in 2003 found 54 genes associated with the expression of sex, indicating that while hormones are a factor, they are not the only "nature" determinate. Additional studies have since provided ample evidence that DNA and prenatal hormones play a markedly significant factor in determining sexual orientation. [4] [5]

Basically what this means is, quoting Dr. Bogaert of Brock University, "the environment a person is raised in really makes not much difference." [6]

and people have changed both to homosexuality and away from it.
Not true Willy and it sounds like you've been listening to the unsubstantiated claims of reparative therapy, which is the effort by some to impose therapy to change a person's sexuality. The APA is rather firm on this issue, which is that it is unethical because there is no supporting evidence of it being effective and there is evidence indicating it is potentially harmful. [7]

Reparative therapy groups, such as NARTH, are not advocated by APA and are, in fact, condemned by the greater majority of professional psychologists. Unfortunately, obtaining a degree in psychology is not necessarily a challenging endeavor and, for the most part, psychology is a field of interpretations as opposed to tried & true applications. This tends to lead to people with preconceived notions (religious or otherwise) baying overlay on their cognitive interpretation of issues and challenges. As a result, these sorts of groups exist because enough like-minded homophobes, with degrees in psychology, can and do decide to ignore the American Psychiatric Association's findings, the American Psychological Association's findings, and the emerging biological findings that pose in contra to their not-so-hidden agenda. As one activist, Wayne Besen, puts it, "(Reparative therapy) is a kinder, gentler form of homophobia." [8]

So, it is not merely genes, but prenatal hormones and other physiological factors which "cannot" be changed by a mental choice, anymore than you can change the diminutive nature of your <undercarriage> by staring at it and saying, "get bigger damnit!" If you're a heterosexual man, you are aroused by an attractive woman, and not aroused by a handsome man. From there, you cannot "choose" to be aroused by a man. Essentially, it's a biochemical issue, based on the biological makeup of your brain (the exception to this is physical stimulation, which I address in a later paragraph).

To add, there is the issue that it isn't a homo vs hetero equation. It's not ones and zeros. It's not, "you're gay, I'm straight." The measures for such are based on your genetic makeup, prenatal hormonal influences, and other physiological factors that could present you anywhere on the spectrum of sexual orientation. So you could be predisposed slightly, or largely, to persons of the same sex, depending on where on that spectrum you land. I.e., consider it variables. From one extreme to the other, and everyone in the middle of those two extremes. In fact, you could consider it two variables:

99.9% same sex aroused ----------------------------------------- 0.1% same sex aroused

99.9% opposite sex aroused -------------------------------------- 0.1% opposite sex aroused

A person with a low same sex and opposite sex arousal would very well be gender neutral, whilst someone with high arousals from both sexes would be bi-sexual. However, more commonly, one arousal pattern firmly dominates with the opposite sex pattern being the genetic norm. So yes, a predominant interest in same sex is abnormal, but it is nonetheless suspected to be a natural process due to environmental responses (high population, secondary/tertiary males from the same womb, etc). Just to clarify, environment does not translate to "nurture," it translates to the environment in which a child is born in (not brought up in) and of changes occurring within the womb, or prior, as a result of signals received from the progenitors. I.e., pre-birth changes induced by environmental factors.

In fact, as a 60 minutes (made for lay television viewers) report indicates, "Psychologists used to believe homosexuality was caused by nurture ... but that theory has been disproved. Today, scientists are looking at genes, environment, brain structure and hormones. There is one area of consensus: that homosexuality involves more than just sexual behavior; it’s physiological." ~ 60 minutes article (2006)

Finally, there are the instances of sexual addiction and of misinterpreting sexual stimulation as arousal preference, which is a sort of psychological distortion, or confusion, due to a traumatic event (or series of events). As I wrote in another thread:
"You can be sexually stimulated by either sex, but that's not the same thing as arousal, and it is this confusion that hits victims of molestation or rape, in that they are confused by their having enjoyed the encounter to some degree, thus start questioning whether it was rape, was molestation, or in the case of same sex incidents, whether they are homosexual. As such, some victims of young age same sex molestation/rape can travel the route of bisexuality for having experienced sexual stimulation long before experiencing arousal. This, in turn, would result in their seeking sexual satisfaction in relationships (sex addiction), as opposed to love/attraction."
It is also the above that you are misinterpreting as, "changed to homosexuality and away from it," in which said events are not truly environment, but incidents of psychological (and physical) trauma which could result in a person attempting to come to terms (adverse healing) with the events they experienced and the manner in which their sexual organs reacted to said experience(s). Without the proper tools, the knowledge, to understand there is a difference between sexual stimulation and sexual arousal, a person could heal incorrectly. Adverse healing is an issue that can be addressed through therapy with a trained (and informed) psychologist. However, if there are no incidents of sexual molestation and/or rape, it is universally held that therapy is totally inappropriate.

[1] http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/therapeutic-response.pdf

[2] http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/courts/...er_Psychological_Assn_Amicus_Curiae_Brief.pdf

[3] Allan Bérubé, Coming Out Under Fire, 1990, pp. 170-171

[4] Friedman RC, Downey JI. Homosexuality. N Engl J Med.1994; 331 :923 –930 <Free Full Text>

[5] Stronski Huwiler SM, Remafedi G. Adolescent homosexuality. Adv Pediatr.1998; 45 :107 –144 <Medline>

[6] Bogaert, A.F. (2006). Biological versus nonbiological older brothers and sexual orientation in men. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), 103, 10771-10774. <USA Today article>

[7] http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/facts_changing.html

[8] http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/reptherapy.pdf

(( oh, and in case you're wondering Willy, the only person I plagiarized here was myself. ))

DeletedUser17143

I completely agree with Hell on this one.

Being attracted to those of the same sex or opposite sex will never be a choice. It is a natural occurrence based on ones life and experiences and possibly even genetics if what is written above is all accurate (I'm not disparaging the sources whatsoever, by the way. They are very enlightening.)

Choosing to not accept other peoples lifestyles is a choice, and always will be. It all comes down to whether you are happy for people to be able to think and act for themselves, or whether you want everyone to follow the same path of monotony and live very boring lifestyles.

I won't say I'm pro heterosexuality, homosexuality, Bisexuality or anything else of this sort, because I'm not pro anything to do with sexuality. I am pro choice though. And I think that everyone has the right to choose their own lifestyle. A gay person has just as much right to choose to live a lifestyle of homosexuality as a heterosexual person has the right to live a life of coitus with the opposite sex.

If you don't like the idea of gay sex, marriage, relationships or just general lifestyle, then don't have any of the above with someone of the same sex. But don't stop others doing it just because you are too ignorant to allow others to have their own freedom.

DeletedUser16008

Yet another thread on Homosexuality ? :rolleyes: I know this one is actually in support of it but honestly do we need yet another pointless arguement from the god squad or moral brigade yet again ?

Meh they have been trying to "cure" manlove etc since the dawn of time, ain't never going to happen.

I'm sure we've had this convo before... matter of choice or not ?

Sexual attraction is determined mostly by the time you hit puberty absolutely, but its not 99% although it is very high.

My own experience of people ive known is actually both, but it swings about 80% towards just a sexual reaction.... and the other 20% ? well thats a whole lot more complicated but mostly its to do with environment, work, popularity, fashion, culture and good old financial consideration.

Its also not uncommon throughout the animal kingdom btw...especially with non dominant males etc... same can be found in various human cultures.

End of the day it is a physical action concious choice over a sexual reaction.

So as usual there is and there isnt a choice here.... no different than the urge to hurt someone being actually carried out is a choice.... in one respect we have become lenient and yet in the other intolerant. Funny old world sometimes.

Nature is as nature does, leave it alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Until the moral brigade reaches moral perfection, any attempts to root out homosexuality is hypocritical. Shall we start calling them Pharisees? :p

DeletedUser

Yet another thread on Homosexuality ?
I'm sure we've had this convo before... matter of choice or not ?

I agree, this has already been discussed. Genetic predisposition does not excuse behavior, but that is another discussion entirely.

DeletedUser

I'm going to have the audacity to speak for him Hell :) He is saying that homosexuals should live their lives like heterosexual people. They should deny their true feelings and live a lie.

DeletedUser

And yet you still define it as a choice... why?

I'm going to have the audacity to speak for him Hell :) He is saying that homosexuals should live their lives like heterosexual people. They should deny their true feelings and live a lie.

No, what I am saying is that genetic predisposition in not an excuse. If it was such a great defense, all a pedophile, killer, rapist, or any other criminal would have to do is say they are genetically predisposed to that behavior and you should accept them as they are. I created a separate thread if you want to continue to discuss genetic predisposition.http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=50305

DeletedUser

Sorry but I have read your posts and maybe you don't realize that's what you're saying, but it is. Genetic predisposition is a nature vs nurture controversy which will not end up changing what you are saying.

Your comments have been clear.

1. You don't deny that homosexuals exist or that they want to live their lives based on their needs and desires.

2. You don't believe they should be allowed to live their lives based on their needs and desires.

3. You don't believe homosexuals should be allowed to marry each other, because they already have the right to marry people of the opposite sex and they should do that rather than live their lives based on their needs and desires.

Which means that basically you are saying that homosexuals should live their lives like heterosexual people. They should deny their true feelings and live a lie. Will you deny that this is what you have been saying?

DeletedUser

1. You don't deny that homosexuals exist or that they want to live their lives based on their needs and desires.

2. You don't believe they should be allowed to live their lives based on their needs and desires.

3. You don't believe homosexuals should be allowed to marry each other, because they already have the right to marry people of the opposite sex and they should do that rather than live their lives based on their needs and desires.

Which means that basically you are saying that homosexuals should live their lives like heterosexual people. They should deny their true feelings and live a lie. Will you deny that this is what you have been saying?
1. The behavior does exist, and those who engage in that behavior are often called homosexuals.

2. Not all desires are rights. The ability for gays to live together as they please is not in question. The governmental view on what constitutes a marriage is.

3. I don't believe the relationship of those of the same sex constitutes the requirements for marriage. And Marriage to who ever you want in its self is not a right. In some places you can get married at age 15 or 16 because the laws allow for that. Other place the laws are different. Calling it a right does not provide a shortcut around the law.

I said that if the government does not recognized gay marriage that is their right to expect citizens to follow their rules as it is not a protected right. If they allow it then so be it.

DeletedUser

Sorry but I have read your posts and maybe you don't realize that's what you're saying, but it is. Genetic predisposition is a nature vs nurture controversy which will not end up changing what you are saying.

Your comments have been clear.

You can't reason someone out of something they were never reasoned into. :(

DeletedUser16008

Yes lasarstar thats exactly what willy has been saying for months.

DeletedUser

No, what I am saying is that genetic predisposition in not an excuse. If it was such a great defense, all a pedophile, killer, rapist, or any other criminal would have to do is say they are genetically predisposed to that behavior and you should accept them as they are.
No Willy, there is no genetic predisposition to be a pedophile and it is a grossly flawed argument to try and make such a correlation to that of homosexuality, particularly when the vast majority of pedophiles are heterosexual. Also, all of the above examples are intrusions and/or unwanted violations of another, and thus it is criminal in that respect. Homosexuals participate in consensual relations, just as do heterosexuals. A person who does not, a person who molests or rapes, kills or mutilates, is performing an act against consent and no amount of "genetic predisposition" would argue you out of being determined guilty via the laws of Man.

2. Not all desires are rights. The ability for gays to live together as they please is not in question. The governmental view on what constitutes a marriage is.
No, wrong again. Your congregation makes it abundantly clear that gays living together is unacceptable, that they are sinning. As to what constitutes a marriage, that is a legal issue pertaining to individual rights, not genetic predisposition. But nice try...

Calling it a right does not provide a shortcut around the law.
The laws of Man are subject to change, as what has occurred in 6 U.S. States and other parts of the world. Attempting to argue what rights in partnership are allowed by law is intentionally avoiding addressing the issue that sexual orientation is not a legal argument.

DeletedUser

No Willy, there is no genetic predisposition to be a pedophile and it is a grossly flawed argument to try and make such a correlation to that of homosexuality, particularly when the vast majority of pedophiles are heterosexual. Also, all of the above examples are intrusions and/or unwanted violations of another, and thus it is criminal in that respect. Homosexuals participate in consensual relations, just as do heterosexuals. A person who does not, a person who molests or rapes, kills or mutilates, is performing an act against consent and no amount of "genetic predisposition" would argue you out of being determined guilty via the laws of Man.
So you proved pedophilia has no genetic traits? Not everything that is illegal is an "intrusions and/or unwanted violations of another." Society usually deems what is legal. And the laws of man are not the highest authority.

No, wrong again. Your congregation makes it abundantly clear that gays living together is unacceptable, that they are sinning. As to what constitutes a marriage, that is a legal issue pertaining to individual rights, not genetic predisposition. But nice try...
A lot of people are sinning whats your point? No what legally constitutes a marriage varies by jurisdiction, but nice try... QED see below.
The laws of Man are subject to change, as what has occurred in 6 U.S. States and other parts of the world.
Yes, no one is arguing otherwise.

DeletedUser

So you proved pedophilia has no genetic traits?
It doesn't work that way, the proof is dependent on showing what is, not on showing what isn't. As it is, you made the assertion, you're tasked to provide supporting evidence. You have to prove that there are genetic/chromosomal/ characteristics particular to pedophilia. However, you're in for an uphill endeavor, as the situation with male/male or woman/woman attraction is a biochemical difference resulting in arousal from different excreted chemicals, while the same pheromones that make a man attracted to and/or aroused by a woman exist in a girl, but in a far smaller scale.

Not everything that is illegal is an "intrusions and/or unwanted violations of another."
You posed pedophilia, rape, murder and homosexuality all in the same argument. If you want to argue traffic tickets, we have a different debate altogether.

Society usually deems what is legal. And the laws of man are not the highest authority.
The Courts deem what is legal and the laws of Man are the laws of Man. If you want to argue the laws of God, take it up with Him when you die because it's stated quite clearly in the New Testament that "enforcing" the laws of God is not the responsibility of Man beyond him/herself.

DeletedUser17649

While I'm on the 'it's genetic' side, hey other species does it too ;)
I just have to ask, what difference does it make, really?

As long as participants are willing and it doesn't harm anyone, why should any third party care?

DeletedUser

While I'm on the 'it's genetic' side, hey other species does it too ;)
Yep, over 1500 documented animal species display homosexual behaviors/activity. ~ http://www.nhm.uio.no/besok-oss/utstillinger/skiftende/againstnature/index-eng.html

I just have to ask, what difference does it make, really? As long as participants are willing and it doesn't harm anyone, why should any third party care?
Exactly my point, but unfortunately many religious groups do care and actively seek to restrict, oppress, penalize and even kill people identified as homosexual.

So it makes a difference that we, as a society, prevent such bible-toting bigots from espousing their hating ways onto our respective societies, particularly on our youth. Homosexuals, bisexuals, and transgenders aren't doing anything to the followers of these bigoted religious beliefs, so leave them the frick alone. Let them live their lives, allow them to marry, to adopt, to thrive and enjoy the fruits of their labors within society.

This is one of those issues where pushing back needs to come not only from the victims, but from the bystanders. The attitude of so many in this society, that of, "it's not my problem" is what gives these bigots the room they need to continue with their hatemongering. Bills to institute civil marriage, or to prevent such in various states and nations, is hampered by people who don't bother to show up at the ballot boxes when such issues come for a vote.

You see, while I agree with the idea that homosexuals, bisexuals and transgenders should be left alone, unfortunately there's a sizable population out there (a population substantially greater in number and influence than that of the lgbt population) that is not interested in leaving them alone. As a civil society, it is our responsibility to defend the rights of all. So, while we can and should leave the lgbt community alone, we can't leave the issue alone. Just as in the days of white supremacy, where both blacks and whites had to ban together in order to end the oppression, just as in the days of feminine oppression, where it required men to join their ranks in order for women to obtain the power to vote in an alleged democracy, it is the responsibility of all of us, at all times, to defend the rights of minorities, to fight back against those who consider it their mission to deny equality.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Exactly my point, but unfortunately many religious groups do care and actively seek to restrict, oppress, penalize and even kill people identified as homosexual.

There are already laws against such things in the majority of the world. There are unfortunately places where this is not true and ppl are killed for a variety of reasons to include gays.

So it makes a difference that we, as a society, prevent such bible-toting bigots from espousing their hating ways onto our respective societies

Your anti-theist ideals are clear. You want to "actively seek to restrict, oppress, penalize and even kill people identified as" religious.

DeletedUser

Your anti-theist ideals are clear. You want to "actively seek to restrict, oppress, penalize and even kill people identified as" religious.
I can't let you get away with that.
You are full of it, dude, and I don't mean Christian love and humility.
Yours is a sick and debased mockery of the values of Christ and I pity you.
Other people's sexuality is no interest to me. If it fascinates or freaks you out so much you need to look at yourself and figure out why.