Worst President of the 20th Century

DeletedUser

I have a personal hatred, yes hatred for Reagan. Maybe if I had lived during Hoover's administration I would be dragging his virtual carcass through the mud. But for me it is Reagan.

DeletedUser

Divest said:
If you're not feeling the sting from Reagan's policies then please let me in on your secret. Lord knows I've been hurtin' and so has my federal student financial aid, that's for sure. (Indirect, I know, but still).

That's the problem with non-Conservatives. You don't understand that the government shouldn't do anything for anybody.

Government, get out of my way! I don't want your help, darn it!

When you take something from anybody, you become their slave.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
That's the problem with non-Conservatives. You don't understand that the government shouldn't do anything for anybody.

Government, get out of my way! I don't want your help, darn it!

When you take something from anybody, you become their slave.

The government is a system we set up ourselves, you sound like a hermit with the anti-cooperation :p

We would have systems like this even in anarchy. Conservative is all about reluctance to change anyway, so I wouldn't expect much progress towards any new ideas.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Kennedy. Botched the Cuban Communist revolution, let the North Vietnamese occupy the eastern portion of Laos, and allowed the permanent division of Germany with the construction of the Berlin wall.

DeletedUser13682

I'd go with Johnson. He was too focused sending our soldiers into Vietnam, that he didn't care about anything else, mostly. But he did pass the Civil Rights Act and Voter's Rights Act, before he got too concentrated with Vietnam. But he let the war take over his presidency, and let the 'Great Society' programs go the way of the dodo. If he had cared more about the 'Great Society', then most of the inner city riots wouldn't have happened.

DeletedUser

Kennedy. Botched the Cuban Communist revolution, let the North Vietnamese occupy the eastern portion of Laos, and allowed the permanent division of Germany with the construction of the Berlin wall.

Since when is it the task of an US president to deal with actions made by and adressed to people and governments outside of the US?

DeletedUser

Since when is it the task of an US president to deal with actions made by and adressed to people and governments outside of the US?

Because it is US foreign policy to be involved. Our sphere of influence is the entire globe, and has been so for quite some time.

DeletedUser

Re: Kennedy

1) The Bay of Pigs invasion was a leftover from the Eisenhower Presidency and was pushed by the CIA

2) He manned up when the bad plan went awry unlike Bush Jr.

3) Re Vietnam: Kennedy sent advisors.....Johnson got us involved in an undeclared war (also from fabricated evidence much like GWB)

4) Averted nuclear holocaust (see Cuban Missle Crisis)

DeletedUser

Because it is US foreign policy to be involved. Our sphere of influence is the entire globe, and has been so for quite some time.

So everytime any country invades another and everytime a revolution takes place, I can blame the US president for it, because it's subject to foreign policy?

PS:
Besides, the German division wasn't permanent btw.

DeletedUser13682

PS:
Besides, the German division wasn't permanent btw.

Thank God for that.

Reagan had a big part in that. He helped influence the tearing down of the Berlin Wall, and he reduced prices of gas from $12 a barrel to $4 a barrel, which hurt the U.S.S.R. so much, that they had to reform, because almost everything in the U.S.S.R. was funded by what was then high oil prices.

DeletedUser

Yeah, Ronald Reagan and David Hasselhoff with his song "Looking for Freedom" played the most important part for the fall of the Wall and Germany's reunion. I don't understand the hype about the people participating in the monday demonstrations either. Way too overrated...

@Divest:
Sorry that this topic has gone a bit well...off-topic. How about I start a thread "worst German President of the 20th century" and you can debate for 1 page on topic and then change it slowly but steadily as it happened here?

DeletedUser

I'd say George W. Bush was the worst president America has had. He's ruined too many peoples lives

DeletedUser

I'd say George W. Bush was the worst president America has had. He's ruined too many peoples lives

and yet the topic was worst president of the 20th Century GWB was the First President of the 21st Century

DeletedUser

Well so far GW is the worst president of the 21st century. I think we can all surely agree with that statement :D

DeletedUser

Because im British :laugh:

20th = Stanley Baldwin
21st = Gordon Brown

DeletedUser

I dont think Bush was the worst. There have been worse. But all presidents mess up. Reagan with AIDS, Bush with Iraq, Kennedy with the Bay of Pigs, Clinton with his huge sex scandal, ect. It just hugely depends on what our perspective is. With me, it was Nixon. With anybody else, it depends.

DeletedUser

Clinton with the sex scandal? Oh come on, he gave that young woman an opportunity to become a millionaire. I think that is great. Imagine, someone that is so famous that just by performing an act you become famous, now that is cool! Also, Kennedy had his indiscretions as well, it's just that 1) He got to have one with Marilyn Monroe, and 2) America still cared about the sanctity of the office and 3) there was enough other crap going on for that to not even really be an issue.