Worst President of the 20th Century

DeletedUser

Who do you think the worst US President of the 20th century was? Please disclose your reasons for your choice.

I'm going with Ronald Reagan - War on Drugs, Central America, supply-side economics, SDI, deliberate hamstringing of the conservation movement, wanting to test a nuke in the Tasman. Not to mention he screwed us down the line for many generations to come.

Go!

DeletedUser

Aside from the Gulf War, I do find it kind of funny that he was pretty much one of the least active presidents of all time.

DeletedUser

Theres a good reason he was only pres for one term. That being said, I have noooo idea how his son got the second term. (well, I have an idea, it's called cheating)

DeletedUser

Theres a good reason he was only pres for one term. That being said, I have noooo idea how his son got the second term. (well, I have an idea, it's called cheating)

No, the first term was called cheating. The second term was called lying, a.k.a. politics.

DeletedUser

The second term was called hopeless, uneducated, nostalgic, and red-neck Americans.

Or I suppose 'Republican' is the all encompassing term for the description above (oh, burn, I know).

DeletedUser

Whew, I was scared what you were going to post for a second, being a Texan and all. :p

DeletedUser

Elmyr doesn't claim Bush as a Texan. At least we know Elmyr and the Dixie Chics aren't stupid!

DeletedUser

How do we know Elmyr isn't a Dixie Chick? Ever seen them in the same room together?

Admittedly I cannot say if there were worse Presidents before Carter because I was too young, or not alive at all, and never personally felt any of the bad policies that must have existed. I suppose it could be said that even Kennedy was a bad president but ultimately the question is subjective and no real answer can be found.

DeletedUser

Reagan + AIDS = FAILURE!!!

I don't care what any of the other presidents did. To me the Reagan legacy is a booming mortuary and pharmaceutical business.

DeletedUser

They aren't Texans. :p

George H.W. Bush: born Milton, Mass.
George W. Bush: born New Haven, CT.

I do respect the first Bush though. His presidency was uninspiring for the most part. At least his war was caused by a direct provocation, whether it was actually about oil or not, and it was quick.

I loved his "Voodoo economics" criticism of Reaganomics.

He ran for the Senate against Lloyd Bentsen, but lost because Bentsen was more conservative.

When he was a Congressman, he supported the 1964 Civil Rights Act, upsetting his constituents, but he convinced them it was the right thing to do and he was still re-elected.

When he joined the Navy during WWII, he was the youngest naval aviator up until then. His Avenger was hit by anti-aircraft fire and caught fire, but he still completed his mission and was able to return to the water to bail out.

I know none of those things really relate to his presidency, and I was always suspicious of him because he was head of the CIA, but I do respect him.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

How do we know Elmyr isn't a Dixie Chick? Ever seen them in the same room together?

Admittedly I cannot say if there were worse Presidents before Carter because I was too young, or not alive at all, and never personally felt any of the bad policies that must have existed. I suppose it could be said that even Kennedy was a bad president but ultimately the question is subjective and no real answer can be found.

If you're not feeling the sting from Reagan's policies then please let me in on your secret. Lord knows I've been hurtin' and so has my federal student financial aid, that's for sure. (Indirect, I know, but still).

DeletedUser

No, I was saying I couldn't really say that I felt any bad policies BEFORE Carter. Not that Carter was bad.

Also, reason for saying Bush Sr. is the worst is because of his son. Because of Bush Sr. demon seed we are now screwed well into the 21st century.

And yes Reagan was bad, but c'mon, he was in Bedtime For Bonzo!

DeletedUser

Ah, I see, gotcha.

And just for the record, I really have nothing against Republicans, so don't drag me out into the streets because of it.

DeletedUser

Well honestly, what were people thinking was going to happen when they elected an actor?
I do not support either party, I am a pedestrian, I would rather walk away. (ftr I support individuals, not parties)

DeletedUser

The two-party system is a joke anyhow but I'm not going to get started down that road. Not tonight.

DeletedUser

sorry I'm going to have to side with the historians on this one Herbert Hoover is the worst 20th century president. Promised prosperity in the face of a looming financial crisis. Ignored the environmental disaster in the middle of the country (which helped the financial ruin)....on a side note for those who believe that man can't possibly be a contributing factor in global warming look at the human contribution to causing the Dust Bowl and what the first steps taken under Roosevelt to fix it(i.e. having a wind break of trees planted down the center of the country essentially)

DeletedUser

The Great Depression followed only eight short months after his term. That's gotta mean something.

DeletedUser

I think to call one president the worst is oversimplifying things. Better to have a worst for economy, environment, foreign policy, domestic issues, etc. then try to name one person as the worst president ever. More realistic as well since they all have their achievements and failures.