Who, What, Why, When, Where & How?

Deleted User - 819397

Elizabeth had said little through this whole process. She felt fairly out of touch with everyone else in the group, as they either had some sort of training in fighting or had training in surviving...all she had was basic first aid training and a strong musical ability. The latter wasn't much help in the current situation though. She felt the best thing to do was to simply let those more skilled in these situations to make the decisions, and then help out however she could. Thus her quietness.

DeletedUser25825

MIDROS remained quiet during the journey, and eventually the green illumination of her lenses retracted to pinpoints and then to black. Only the regular movement of her breathing indicated she was still alive. The group traversed the open desert and entered the beginning of the foothills as the sun of the planet finally sank passed the horizon, washing the twilight with pink and purple hues. Without the sun, the two moons shone brighter than Earth's moon, and the group found it very easy to move through the terrain.

As they proceeded further into the rock formation, they found it to be cut into twisting and confusing channels. Sh'Siquar'Na moved ahead of the group, pausing occasionally as needed for them to catch up. She paused, looked over her shoulder at them and held a hand up, speaking in her own language for a moment, before looking up along the walls of the ravine. She ran, and leapt several feet upward, before grabbing onto the rock wall. She made her ascent quickly, looking much like a monkey as she used a combination of her hands and feet and, at one point, only her tail to swing from one point on the rock wall to another point as she navigated any firm hold she could locate. Once gaining the top, she crouched down and looked around.

She looked down at the gathered group and called out. Mandy heard the small whine of servos activating, and MIDROS stirred, before raising her head with fully illuminated lenses. She said, "MIDROS translate." Sh'Siquar'Na spoke for a few moments with several clicks and pops, and then began to climb down the rock wall. MIDROS said, "Sh'Siquar'Na says, aliens there is a cavern up ahead, which might be a good place to make shelter. It may be occupied by denizens of this planet, so it would be best to proceed with caution. MIDROS translation of the words of Sh'Siquar'Na complete."

The alien dropped away from the rock wall, and landed gracefully. She straightened, pulled the metal rod from its sheath and moved forward along the rock channel. As she moved, the rod elongated fluidly into the battle staff she'd wielded earlier. She moved around a bend in the channel and slowed to a stop. She looked over her shoulder at the humans and spoke for a moment, which caused MIDROS to announce, "MIDROS translate. Sh'Siquar'Na says, aliens cover your ears, and watch the tunnel entrance."

Sh'Siquar'Na watched the humans for a few moments, until they had complied with her commands. She then turned toward the tunnel entrance as well, crouching down defensively and began to sing. Even with their ears covered they could hear the song, which sounded as if three different voices were creating the music. The sounds layered together, fluctuating between melody and harmony, and even with their ears covered the humans began to feel themselves becoming unnaturally curious and wanting to investigate the song, even though they knew its exact source.

Sh'Siquar'Na continued her song for a minute or so, and each human found themselves slowly moving in her direction, and found themselves completely distracted from what they were supposed to be doing. Sh'Siquar'Na stopped her song, and it was several moments before any of the humans were able to feel completely in control of their conscious will. Sh'Siquar'Na straightened, as her battle staff fluidly shrank back down to the short rod, which she slid back into the sheath on her right thigh. She spoke for a few moments and moved toward the entrance. MIDROS said, "MIDROS translate. Sh'Siquar'Na says, aliens it should be ok to enter the tunnel. If there were something of intelligence within, it would have answered my mesmer. MIDROS translation of the words of Sh'Siquar'Na complete."

As Sh'Siquar'Na walked toward the entrance, she gathered as much drift wood and other small items of vegetation she could. She disappeared into the darkness of the entrance.

DeletedUser

Tawfiq expressed his greatfulness to the Irishman as they stumbled along getting ever closer to the rocks. However as it got darker it was clear that they had been closer than they appeared. However the group had reached them and Tawfiq was pausing to look around. Then he suddenly heard a beautiful, melodious tune. Giving no thought to his situation he found himself approaching their alien guide who was producing the music. Then suddenly it stopped and that Automaton MIDROS had explained that the creature was merely inspecting the cave for life. What an interesting concept Tawfiq had thought to himself.As they entered the cave Tawfiq paused to consider the plausibility of setting the plastic explosives. He decided for it and decided to quietly set up the charges, after all no one needed to know but him. After all a hasty trigger man might easily trap them...

DeletedUser28032

Accepting Tawfiq's thanks, James introduced himself to the Arabic gentleman before he continued on through the mountains. The pale light given off by the twin moons easily illuminated the twisting caverns, though James knew that without their alien guide they'd all have been lost within minutes, forced to wander the labyrinth of bare rock until they starved or were killed, a grim prospect either way.
Walking for what seemed like the best part of an hour James was soon lagging at the back the swift pace set by the alien causing his ribs to hurt. James was far from happy the stress of the fight with the Erametin had caught up with causing him to be jumpy and paranoid, the snake hadn't helped matters any either he’d only hit the thing by the barest of margins and if he’d missed….Well it didn’t bare thinking about.
He was also mourning the loss of his guitar; the others would have thought him mere a stupid boy to be worrying about something as trivial as a “Guitar” but they didn’t understand how much that guitar meant to him, how that guitar had been the first thing he had ever bought with his own money, honest money, not money gained through theft or violence, and in all truth that guitar had probably saved his life. If James hadn’t bought that guitar and left for Dublin to seek his fortune he’d most likely be in jail now or dead.
The brooding silence of the mountains weighed down on him heavily deepening his melancholy though he found that humming helped and pretty soon he found himself singing quietly to himself “In my time of dying…I want nobody to mourn…“James wasn’t a singer by trade but he could sing well when he wanted to, his soft bluesy voice carried its way gently through the caverns as he walked “Well, well, well now I can die easy…” James suddenly stopped the song on his lips dying instantly upon him hearing that song. The others had stopped, covering their ears in an attempt to block out the sound however James who had been so engrossed in his singing and the personal hell that he was currently residing that he didn’t notice until he had practically walked into the back of Elizabeth and Ziv. He could tell by the look of pure bliss on everyone’s face that despite they’re attempt to block out the aliens song that they could hear what he could. James sat mesmerised by the alien’s siren song all of his previous melancholy forgotten and James knew that if she asked he would happily cut out his own heart and give it to her just so he could listen to that song and then all of a sudden she stopped. James mood crashed back into the depths despair, like a junkie who had just come down from his fix. He had to hear that song again, Hell he needed to hear that song again.

DeletedUser25825

Sh'Siquar'Na entered the cavern and stopped after a few meters. She turned and gestured the humans in further. She pointed at Mandy, who was carrying MIDROS, and spoke in the clicking and popping language. MIDROS turned her head forward as she responded in the same language, and the illumination of her lenses intensified until the cavern was lit by the eerie green light. Sh'Siquar'Na looked over at Tawfiq, as he messed around near the entrance, then around the cavern. She pointed to a large fissure further back, which was wide enough for any of the beings in the cavern to fit through. She spoke for several moments, and as she finished MIDROS said, "MIDROS translate."

MIDROS remained with her head facing forward, lighting the cave, as she said, "Sh'Siquar'Na says, it is inadvisable to travel further into the shelter. I see no signs of anything residing within here, but we should keep an eye on the entrance, and that back tunnel. For now, we should make a fire for warmth for the aliens, and decide what you will need for an extended stay on this planet. MIDROS translation of the words of Sh'Siquar'Na complete." MIDROS then advised, "MIDROS power level 20%"

Ziv found herself extremely tired after the day's events. She sat down as she watched Sh'Siquar'Na begin to build a small pile of the wood and small debris she had gathered before entering the cave. The alien moved around, occasionally stooping down to pick up a various rock, study it, and then drop it back on the rock floor. She finally kept one and moved back to the pile. She knelt down next to it, drew the rod out of its sheath and struck it against the rock. A fragment of the rock broke off, with a tremendous amount of sparks, all of which landed within the pile of wood. She leaned close to the pile, and blew gently on several glowing rock fragments, until small tendrils of smoke began to rise. She straightened and moved away from the small fire as she slid the rod back into the sheath. She sat down near the back tunnel and watched the humans. As the light from the small fire began to expand, the intensity of the light provided from MIDROS lessened as she announced, "MIDROS power level 15%, mandated shut-down." Ziv watched as the small cyborg's lenses went black and she slumped down.

Ziv looked at the others as she moved closer to the fire as it began to engulf more of the vegetation the alien had gathered. The warmth felt close to the greatest feeling she'd experienced in a long time. She glanced at the others and asked, "Alien is right. Good idea to figure out things needed. Water and food first choice I think. Keep MIDROS operating, but not knowing I am very well what she is needing. Tools for defense also important." She frowned and untied the bun at the back of her head to release her long black hair, and rubbed her scalp as she thought some.

She said, "Maybe is good idea we tell our names and what help we can be giving? I start. I am Ziv Ne'eman. Lived Israel. I am Israel Defense Force soldier. I know very basic first aid, knife fight, and shoot. Not soldier long, or very good. Before soldier, I am graduated student of Hebrew Union College Jewish Institute of Religion. I wanted become Rabbi." She looked around the cavern with a wan smile, before looking back at the others and said, "Seems God having other plans for now."

DeletedUser

Mandy leaned MIDROS against the cave wall, close enough to the fire to keep her warm, but not to burn. She, herself, walked up to the fire and spread her hands. The robe she was wearing reflected the heat of the fire. It was so effective, that when she pulled herself completely within the robe, she couldn't tell that there was a fire. Mandy sat down and opened the robe towards the fire. It soon became apparent that the robe was an excellent insulator as well. She quickly became very warm and had to close the robe to stay comfortable. She pulled up its hood and backed away from the fire.

Mandy sat and listened to Ziv's introduction. It was relieving that everyone spoke English. They would have enough problems communicating with the aliens, let alone with one another.

Mandy spoke up, "My name is Mandy Li, and I lived in Honolulu, Hawaii. I am a police detective. I have a degree in criminal science; I know how to use firearms and I have always been very athletic. I've been trained to analyze and use stealth.

"I suppose that we will have to scout around for water, since we've lost communication with Sh'Siquar'Na through Midros. I would like to go back to the spaceship too, and see if we can gain anything valuable. I wonder if Erametin are done with it."

DeletedUser28032

James overwhelming need to hear the alien sing lessened gradually as he sat by the fire, he had breifly attemptd to hum the tune but soon realised that he lacked the vocal range required to sing it though he could probably play it if he were to ever to find a guitar. After Mandy and Ziv had finished talking he decided an introduction of his own was in order "My names James O'Reilly and I am a Belfast lad, up until recently I was the lead guitar for Concrete Nails. I can play guitar, Sing and I am an experienced street fighter, Knives, chains and garottes. I don't do guns" Guns in James experience got you killed no matter what end of the trigger you were on, besides with only a limitted supply of ammunition they'd be useless soon enough. "So all in all unless you're in desperate need of a song or need someone beating up, I am pretty useless I am afraid"
Outside was getting colder pulling his leather jacket closer around himself in an effort to keep warm James thought through their situation they'd need food and water that was much was certain but James was a city boy so foraging was out of the question for him which left only one option
"I think tomorrow morning a small group of us needs to check out that ship, see if we can scavenge any food or supplies that the Erametin have missed"

DeletedUser

Tawfiq completed his mission of setting up the charges, he was relieved that no one came to ask him what he was doing. He then approached the fire listening to the conversation stepped up and said...

"I'm Tawfiq Arafat and originally lived on the west bank of Gaza" His eyes momentarily wandered to the Israeli soldier before continuing. "I'm relatively capable in the engineering and explosive fields, though I regret to say I have no idea how I can aid you all right now."

DeletedUser

Darek crawled up next to the fire. It was the first pleasant feeling he had felt since leaving Earth. He found it strange that Ziv appeared to be Jewish, but her first language was apparently Arabic. That was certainly a rare occurrence, but he figured he'd sound like a complete jerk if he pointed it out. After Tawfiq finished his short piece, he played along: "As some of you already know, I'm Darek, and I'm from Poznań. I'm a bartender, but I used to be in the military. I served in Iraq, and saw things far nastier than any of us have since leaving Earth. I can fight with pretty much anything, but guns probably aren't the best option, since we're critically low on ammo." He felt like there was more he could add, but he didn't feel the need at the moment.

DeletedUser

Once inside the cave David went to the back wall and sat on the floor close enough to the fire to stay warm and be able to see all his companions and both entrances. He leaned against the wall with his legs stretched out and crossed with his ball cap pulled low over his face but high enough he could watch but to low for the others to see his face. He listened quietly to the others introduce themselves and figured he might as well do the same but not tell them to much seeing as none of them knew him and he didn't know them yet so they hadn't earned his trust yet and thought it safer not to give to much to fast because allot of people jumped to the wrong conclusion when they found out what he did. "The name is David, Retired U.S. Army and now im a private contracted security Operator, specialty in firearms, survival, stealth and security so i guess i might come in useful sometime" "as for supplies from the ship i'm going first light so anyone wanting to tag along is welcome just be ready real early." David closed his eyes and rested staying awake listening to the conversation with his M4 still in his hand with it laid across his outstretched legs.

Deleted User - 819397

Elizabeth sighed, then spoke up. "I'm Elizabeth. I'm a professional musician, though unlike James I specialize in more of an orchestral background. I know first aid fairly well, and I used to be certified in CPR. However, beyond that I don't think I'm going to be much help...music is my whole life..." She looked down, embarrassed. She felt horrible that she wasn't going to be much help. It was only a small consolation that she wasn't the only one like that, as it only made things harder for the rest of the people. She unconsciously drew her legs up to her chest and rested her chin on her knees, something she only did when truly stressed. She had loved her lot in life...it had been ideal...until now. Now she was only dead weight.

DeletedUser13682

Rolf looked in mock horror at the robed woman, but he was a little taken aback at her comment. "I don't care that you think America wants everybody to be equal. In my life, the best win, those that can't make it do something else! They don't get help, they don't want help!" He walked off with everybody else, brooding over the insolence of the American woman, but that was America for you. They loved making the talented go down to the level of unskilled, and thought they were the best. But, of course, as always, they would have to get along if the human population of this planet was to survive.

Rolf, arriving at the cave after everybody else, didn't hear the warning, but heard the song, it was only the total capacity of his will that kept him from flying up and tackling the alien. It was only a few moments after the song ended that Rolf found himself about halfway up the wall, in the direction of the alien. He was very embarrassed when he climbed up the rest of the way, after the all clear had been given.

But, instead of going in the cave right away, Rolf waited outside for a bit. He wanted to get this thing figured out a bit before entering. The cold air, which was becoming increasingly colder, helped out a bit. He didn't get much through before deciding to head in, and noticed a curious site. There were a few packets on the ground, closer inspection revealed them to be plastic explosives, the detonators a clear giveaway. Somebody must be trying to trap them. Rolf acted, discreetly removing the detonators when there were no witnesses, putting them in his pocket, and joining the group.

They were around a campfire, talking about where they came from. He joined the group during the telling of the private contractor. He listened to the contractor, then the musician, the orchestral one. Then, during a moment of silence, Rolf decided to speak up. "I am Rolf Blauvelt, from East Berlin, Germany. I own, run, and operate Neue Ostbau, the biggest construction firm in Europe. There's at least one of my buildings in every major city on every continent. I also deal in weapons, firearms and explosives. That M4 that the private contractor has right now, most likely came from me. Very interesting job, some things you'll never want to see. I got here during a routine deal, well, not so routine, it was a lot of capital."

DeletedUser28032

James felt sympathy towards Elizabeth's plight after all with his ribs broken and his own musical background he himself wasn't exactly useful to them "Don't beat yourself up about it Lizzie, none of us are exactly suited to surviving here, We're just going to have to work together, beside first aid is going to come in handy...And if it comes to it I can teach you fight, though to be honest thats a part of my life i'd hoped to leave behind"

The fire crackled in the quiet of the cave, outside the night was split by the distant screech of an unknown animal, another reminder that they knew nothing of this planet.
Turning to face the David, his baseball cap pulled low over his eyes so as James was unsure as to whether or not he was still awake "Hey David, if I am not awake tomorrow morning give us a kick I am going with you to the ship, theres some things I am going to need" with that said James started to settle down for the night though he doubted he'd get any sleep.

DeletedUser25825

Sh'Siquar'Na moved out of the cavern and stood in the small area before the entrance. She looked up at the night sky, and then at the channel that they had all traveled through to reach this area. As she stood there, her breathing condensed in the frigid night air. She moved to a small bush, full of large purple leaves, and dragged her fingertip over its bark. She drew the rod from its sheath on her right hip. She turned it in her hand, as the form wavered and looked to melt, before grabbing it in both hands as the metal elongated and flattened out into a thin three by three square which tapered to a slight depression in the center of the object. She set the object on the desert sand. She moved to the nearby plant and jerked several large leaves from it, and moved back into the cavern.

She looked at the humans for a few moments and then sat down nearby. She creased the leathery looking leaves and set them down in a row. She looked over at MIDROS, and then back at the humans. After a quarter of an hour or so, she stood and moved back out to the object. She picked it up and carried it into the cavern. The object was covered in frost, and steamed as it entered the warmer area. She moved to the fire, crouched down and held the object over it. The frost quickly condensed, and a small puddle of water formed in the depression at the center. She moved to the leaves and poured the puddle into one of them. She returned the metal object back outside.

As she was walking back, she stopped suddenly and looked up at the sky. The humans heard what drew her attention. It sounded like a large jet engine. Sh'Siquar'Na moved to the entrance, and continued watching the sky. The area began to shake gently, as the sound got louder and closer. Sh'Siquar'Na stopped any human that tried to leave the cavern, and said something in her own musical language. She looked back up at the sky as a large ship flew slowly passed. The ship was smaller than the one the humans had crashed in. It rumbled passed in the direction of the Kalemia. Sh'Siquar'Na looked at the humans and spoke again in her own language for some time. She then sat down and leaned against the wall.

DeletedUser

Darek tried as best he could to prepare himself for the alien night. Since he was no longer on Earth, the rules of this planet were completely up in the air. The night on the alien world could last anywhere from a few hours to several months. When Sh'Siquar'Na began her musical spiel, he tried to poke his head out of the cave to take a look at whatever she was seeing, only to have her block him stubbornly. Curious as to what Sh'Siquar'Na was saying, he elbowed MIDROS and barked, "hey MIDROS, did you catch any of that? What the hell is she saying?". He realized he was being a bit huffy, and tried to calm himself down.

Deleted User - 819397

Elizabeth looked over at James. "Please don't call me Lizzie." she said fairly shortly. She then softened and smiled. However, I appreciate your trying to cheer me up. I'm a bit rusty with my first aid, as I haven't had to use it in years...but that kind of thing never goes away completely...similar to learning to play an instrument, actually. Also...thank you for the offer to teach me how to fight...I'd prefer not to if possible, but I'm not going to refuse if it's necessary..." Although it was fairly obvious James was hitting on her, Elizabeth was comforted by the fact that someone was being friendly...since outside the cave they were in nothing was friendly.

DeletedUser28032

Holding his hands in mock defense, a smile coming easily to his lips "Ok whatever you say darlin' Elizabeth it is" he was happy to see her smiling at last, she had such a pretty smile in fact in another time and place, say a Belfast bar he would have plied her with strong drink and tried his luck however out here in this god forsaken hell hole he was happy just to have someone to talk to. Losing the smile on his face jsu as quickly as it came James proceeded with the next part a little less eagerly "I don't blame you not wanting to fight, its not a part of my past I am particulary proud of...I'd much rather be remebered as the guitar player than the guy who gouched that blokes eye out...and yes I really did that" he watched as Elizabeth involunatarily flinched though he couldn't tell if it were out of shock or disgust. It was better to be honest with her he decided she'd find out about him eventually, better she decide to hate him now rather than after she got to know him. "You'll have to tell me what instrument you play sometime, after all were the only muscian's on this damn rock"
Outside the cave something not unlike a jet screamed over head shattering the silence of the night sky, he watched as Darek rushed over to investigate only to find his way blocked by the alien "Hey Darek what the hells happening out there?"

DeletedUser

Darek barked back at James, "your guess is as good as mine! Probably more aliens, and I doubt these are the friendly type." He looked again at MIDROS, who still wasn't responding. "Didn't she say something about 20% power a while back?", he thought. He cursed aloud in Polish. The idea that MIDROS' batteries might be out was more than a bit disappointing. Without her, they could never understand what Sh'Siquar'Na was saying, or what was going on.

DeletedUser

Mandy opened her eyes and rubbed them. Some of the others were stirring as well, they had planned to go find out what was left of the Kalemia. She intended to go with them. Standing up, she tied the ends of her cloak up and jumped up on top of the rocks outside the cave. She could see the ship in the distance, but couldn't make out any details. However, she could also see which way to go from here. Instead of weaving her way through the rocks below, she bounded from one to another, making quicker time.

DeletedUser28032

James awoke as dawns early light flooded into the cave, in truth he'd barely slept at all, a combination of extreme cold, sore ribs and adrenaline had kept him awake most of the night. Slowly getting up off of the cold, stony floor of the cave, James made his way outside, a bit of fresh air would do him good besides he wanted to head back off to the ship.

Once outside he could see the ships remains in the distance it wasn't far...two maybe three miles tops. He watched as Mandy's lithe figure darted across the top of the rocks, normally James would have followed her, more than capable of traversing the rocky ground if not quite as fast or elegant as Mandy could, in order to save a bit of time, however with his ribs starting to ache already he decided to take the long route through the rocky ravine below, it'd take longer but his boots were thick and he stood less chance of plunging to his death this way. Taking a deep breath of cool morning air he started off on his journey, hell maybe he'd even sing to pass the time...

Last edited by a moderator: