• No

Votes: 15 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser3515

A well thought idea and I like it.

I have a half baked thought, I'll throw it away and see what the responses are.
Maybe when a quest says "15 wooden boards" you don't neccessarily have to accept it all, you can only accept "5 wooden boards" and make the merchant list change to "10 wooden boards". The larger part of the quest you accept the bigger your reward is. The quest will disappear from the merchant's list when it is finally fully accepted.
After collecting 24 wooden boards once, I doubt I'd go for a merchant quest that requires a large number of products. It may become boring again (a whole week of picking tomatoes, how exciting can it be? :p).

DeletedUser

Good idea to have a quest giver merchant.

Some ideas:
- merchant up to level 10, new town has no merchant, each level needs 100*level construction points;
- each level offers 2 quests. Once one quest is accepted by a town member, it's grayed out. If the quest is canceled, it is re-offered. If the quest is completed, another quest is offered. If the quest is not accepted in a week, it is retracted and another quest is offered.
- level 1 merchant offers quests requiring products of jobs up to difficulty 30; level 2 offers (in addition to those offered by level 1) quests requiring products of jobs up to difficulty 60, and so on. The 10th level will require either products of jobs up to difficulty 300 (so players levels ~50 can do those), or of any difficulty (if it requires canvases, tough luck).
- (optional) some quest can require products from multiple jobs of different difficulties; for example, bring a confederate and a union flag; or bring a cigar and 5 tobacco; or 3 salmon and 3 trout; or 1 hammer, 1 saw, 10 nails and 4 planks of wood, etc.
- (optional) keep the reward unknown, at least for some of the quests.
- (optional) for high difficulty quests (like bring 2 handcuffs), the reward could be some bonus skill points.

Paying back a percentage to the town treasury is not a very good idea, once the town is maxed out the money in the treasury just sits unused. Instead, pay more (+25% was suggested, and some XP) to the player completing the quest, he can deposit it if needed.

Some supervision from the town management is needed. If a player accepts a quest and doesn't complete it quickly, it blocks quests for other players. The management will have to convince the player to give up the quest if someone else is able to complete it. Dismissing that player is an option, to be used as a last resort.
Not accepting the quest until you have the products has the drawback that someone else might grab and complete it before you.

DeletedUser

Hehe, forgive my poor English, it is not my mother tongue.

What I meant is that only the really hard quests will give people trouble, like robbing trains and the others in that league. Quests like trading, silver mining, buffalo hunting and those can be done by a large number of players, so they will be done.

Eventually, even if there happen to appear 3 really hard quests, there should definitly be a mechanism that removes un-accepted quests after 3 days, or a week. The annoyance will then be minimal. How hard could that be? (Technical: quests will all get a timestamp, which will be used by the server to determine how old they are. Not flagged as accepted and linked to a player, and 3 days old? Delete! Easy :) )

And about those whine about the quest being to hard: more motivation to try harder to get those jobs :)

OK, I think the problem was that you used the phrase "fairly difficult" to mean "moderately difficult", whereas we use it to mean something much closer to "very difficult".

I understand your point now, and it's intuitive (and thus I agree with it ;) ).

BTW, your English is generally extremely good. I thought you must be an English-speaker living abroad!

(optional) for high difficulty quests (like bring 2 handcuffs), the reward could be some bonus skill points.

You were doing pretty well until that part. :p

DeletedUser

Some ideas:
- merchant up to level 10, new town has no merchant, each level needs 100*level construction points;
- each level offers 2 quests. Once one quest is accepted by a town member, it's grayed out. If the quest is canceled, it is re-offered. If the quest is completed, another quest is offered. If the quest is not accepted in a week, it is retracted and another quest is offered.
- level 1 merchant offers quests requiring products of jobs up to difficulty 30; level 2 offers (in addition to those offered by level 1) quests requiring products of jobs up to difficulty 60, and so on. The 10th level will require either products of jobs up to difficulty 300 (so players levels ~50 can do those), or of any difficulty (if it requires canvases, tough luck).
- (optional) some quest can require products from multiple jobs of different difficulties; for example, bring a confederate and a union flag; or bring a cigar and 5 tobacco; or 3 salmon and 3 trout; or 1 hammer, 1 saw, 10 nails and 4 planks of wood, etc.
- (optional) keep the reward unknown, at least for some of the quests.
- (optional) for high difficulty quests (like bring 2 handcuffs), the reward could be some bonus skill points.

I really like the combined item quests. It would allow you to give some meaning to the products you need. 10 Saws is rather odd, but combined with lots of wood, a hammer and nails it already sounds like a much more likely quests. Giving skillpoints however is a very definite no-no for me. That would give people a permanent advantage over others, and should be avoided.

Paying back a percentage to the town treasury is not a very good idea, once the town is maxed out the money in the treasury just sits unused. Instead, pay more (+25% was suggested, and some XP) to the player completing the quest, he can deposit it if needed.

If forts come into effect, and are destroyable, then they are a permanent money-sink, requireing an endless supply of money.

Some supervision from the town management is needed. If a player accepts a quest and doesn't complete it quickly, it blocks quests for other players. The management will have to convince the player to give up the quest if someone else is able to complete it. Dismissing that player is an option, to be used as a last resort.
Not accepting the quest until you have the products has the drawback that someone else might grab and complete it before you.

Keeping accepted quests visible and allowing others to see who has it might indeed be a good idea. That way town management has the option of allowing a more fair distribution between quests.

I find your ideas an excellent addition!

DeletedUser

Originally Posted by Dj Storm
(optional) for high difficulty quests (like bring 2 handcuffs), the reward could be some bonus skill points.

You were doing pretty well until that part. :p

I defend my idea.
The December quest gave 1 skill point for working 3 hours. Getting 2 handcuffs requires on average 100 hours of guarding prisoners; by waiting for motivation to rise, 100 hours mean 60 days. I thing awarding 4 skill points is not exaggerate.
If you think 4 skill points aren't worth the effort, you're right. However, once your character is high level, and needs several weeks to a month to gain a level, working the same jobs, looking at the next job which is 50 labor points away, getting bonus points will matter.

On the other hand, this is just a brainfart added to an idea, and the idea has first to gain popularity, then submitted for voting, then accepted, and by the time of implementation it will be slightly or completely different from its current form.

DeletedUser

The december quest was for everyone. With the random quests you run the risk that the mayor kicks everyone when one pops up just so he can get it. Skillpoints are worth much much more than anything else, because you can't get them that easily. Especially on high levels.

This could create a serious imbalance in skillpoints between players, and that is not what I want to accomplish with this suggestion.

Balance was one of my key considerations, since imbalancing suggestions will most likely not make it.

DeletedUser

OK, maybe there's a way to make the skill points quests so hard that it wouldn't throw off gameplay, but I can only imagine that those quests will be 50 times more desired than any other, since they add a permanent inherent boost to your char where all the rest only add to the wealth in your pocket.

Once level 99 is reached, that kind of quest would be the one you'd always want.

DeletedUser

OK, maybe there's a way to make the skill points quests so hard that it wouldn't throw off gameplay, but I can only imagine that those quests will be 50 times more desired than any other, since they add a permanent inherent boost to your char where all the rest only add to the wealth in your pocket.

Once level 99 is reached, that kind of quest would be the one you'd always want.

OK, I've done the numbers:
The best 4 jobs (where 'best' is the sum of money, experience and luck rating) are:
Robbing trains (difficulty 505, sum=246, best experience, best overall)
Ambush stagecoach (diff 475, sum=221, best luck)
Bounty hunter (diff 425 sum=203, best money)
Burglary (diff 517 sum=195, lowest danger of the 4 jobs)

Best clothing for the jobs are:
* Robbing trains: Golden buffalo -15, Fancy slouch hat -18, Fancy waistcoat -30, Fancy work shoes -21, Precise smith'n'wesson -4 (Athos' foil -6, but that one cannot be bought), total 88 bonus skills
* Ambush stagecoach: Black shawl -22, Yellow top hat -19, Black coat -41, Black boots -33, Precise shofield -7 (Bowie's knife -9), total 122
* Bounty hunter: Brown shawl -23, Fancy slouch hat -18, Fancy coat -28, Fancy riding boots -22, Sharp lumberjack axe -6 (Bowie's knife -9), total 97
* Burglary: Brown shawl -18, Green top hat -18, Fancy leather jacket -33, Fancy boots -38, Precise shofield -7 (Belle's deringer -8), total 114

The best way of distributing the 99 attribute and 308 skill points (for a level 99 player with all the quests giving skill points, including the December one) is:
Charisma 73
Dexterity 26
Stamina 146
Shooting or Setting traps 97
Hiding 65

With this setup (and wearing the best gear money can buy for each job), the labor points for the jobs are:
Robbing trains - 16 labor points
Ambush stagecoach - 40
Bounty hunter - 15
Burglary - 15

There might be some quests above level 50 giving out skill points, I don't know about those. But even without those, the labor points are enough (barely) to do those jobs without being knocked out, so I agree that giving out skill points is not such a good idea I previously thought.

DeletedUser

Of course those quests will be desired the most. Skillpoints are permanent, and therefore a safe reward that isn't dependant on anything else. You can always keep and use a skillpoint; that is what makes them more valuable than items and especially dollars.

I oppose the distribution of skillpoints, because it is too exploitable. Characters can grow too powerfull by gaining too many of them, making the game inbalanced. Just adding more wealth to the game adds both more loot for duelers and a more lively economy (towns growing faster, forts growing bigger).

DeletedUser

wouldnt mind the additional skillpoints but as long as its related to what job your doing (like the december quest whereby u did wood cutting to get vigor points) i would support it. let the game allocate the skill points and not us.

yeah i know u can just pay $50 to get it back but hey it would cost money.

DeletedUser

Waiiiiit... what about temporary skill point boosts?

Say you complete a quest to gather resources to make a potion, and the potion gives you +3 to a skill for maybe 2 days? I don't mean you'd get a potion item in your inventory that you could use any time, since that could maybe be abused. I just mean the quest reward would *say* that you were given a potion and that you drank it, and now your skill is increased for the next 2 days (or however long is right).

Heh?

DeletedUser

can we hold the potion until we want to drink it or is it after complete quest it's immediately drunk?

DeletedUser

can we hold the potion until we want to drink it or is it after complete quest it's immediately drunk?

I don't mean you'd get a potion item in your inventory that you could use any time, since that could maybe be abused. I just mean the quest reward would *say* that you were given a potion and that you drank it, and now your skill is increased for the next 2 days (or however long is right).

Red Falcon

Wow! I really like this idea and I have something to add onto it. If there is going to be a time limit on getting the required items, then the luck of those jobs should also be increased, thus making the items relatively easier to get. If the luck cannot be increased, then simply increase the time limit to say two or three weeks. I'd say up to a maximum of one month to complete the merchant quest. And also, the price of such products should be increased, even if it is only very slightly. If not, then increase the reward. It all depends on how difficult the job/quest is.

DeletedUser

Wow! I really like this idea and I have something to add onto it. If there is going to be a time limit on getting the required items, then the luck of those jobs should also be increased, thus making the items relatively easier to get. If the luck cannot be increased, then simply increase the time limit to say two or three weeks. I'd say up to a maximum of one month to complete the merchant quest. And also, the price of such products should be increased, even if it is only very slightly. If not, then increase the reward. It all depends on how difficult the job/quest is.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.