This forum: Finally getting our genders straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Let's put this in off topic please people. It gives no merit to this idea.

DeletedUser

Gender identification? Pfft.
I would like to see a "noob"* identifier. And then I want the ability to ignore those posters.

*"noob" is not the same as a newbie. Newbies have the ability to mature.

Deleted User - 819397

Well, but you have to admit it's a good idea. the gender id thing, I mean. It really would clear up a lot of confusion and prevent anger.

DeletedUser14280

Ahem...I'm back to resurrect this thread to tell you about something in off-topic.

You know, it was Furryicecubes's birthday a day or two ago.
Cake, happy birthday-ing, you know the deal.

Now, I was under the impression that Furry was female, but apparently she...sorry, he isn't. He's male instead, despite evidence to the contrary (his avatars).

It's this sort of mix-up that I want gender icons for.
I certainly don't want people to know my gender. I used to use a non-specific username because of all the men on the internet piggybacking females. Now, it won't happen here as I am a moderator however in every other game I play I do not tell anyone I am a girl.

This is a private thing to know about someone, and should be given with trust, not because you have to. There is always a chance someone would lie anyway (like the popular tactic -- pretend to be a girl to get people to be nice to you, or to sucker some guys in).
I wouldn't think that gender is so private.
If you meet someone in the street, one of the first things you notice about them is whether they're male or female.
Similarly on the internet, when you meet someone, you make an assumption about whether they're male or female.
Not telling people your gender won't help, because they make their own assumptions and work from there.

I've suggested this idea because it's convenient.
Instead of making the assumption that say, HotNSexy is female (someone else I was confused by),
I could look at the little symbol and know for sure that he's male, saving us both a little bit of embarrassment.

DeletedUser529

Ahem...I'm back to resurrect this thread to tell you about something in off-topic.

You know, it was Furryicecubes's birthday a day or two ago.
Cake, happy birthday-ing, you know the deal.

Now, I was under the impression that Furry was female, but apparently she...sorry, he isn't. He's male instead, despite evidence to the contrary (his avatars).

It's this sort of mix-up that I want gender icons for.

I wouldn't think that gender is so private.
If you meet someone in the street, one of the first things you notice about them is whether they're male or female.
Similarly on the internet, when you meet someone, you make an assumption about whether they're male or female.
Not telling people your gender won't help, because they make their own assumptions and work from there.

I've suggested this idea because it's convenient.
Instead of making the assumption that say, HotNSexy is female (someone else I was confused by),
I could look at the little symbol and know for sure that he's male, saving us both a little bit of embarrassment.

Sending kisses to another guy assuming he was a she could be embarrassing....lol

DeletedUser

Since everyone on the internet is a guy I am against this. My favourite rule is not to believe anyone he is a girl, because he is actually a he.

DeletedUser14280

Since everyone on the internet is a guy I am against this. My favourite rule is not to believe anyone he is a girl, because he is actually a he.
Hey, if this is implemented and someone sets their thingy to male or female, that's what we'll call them, no problem.

If anyone here is on a forum where something like this has been applied, can you tell us how it's worked out?

DeletedUser

Hey, if this is implemented and someone sets their thingy to male or female, that's what we'll call them, no problem.

Not really. I've seen people who try to establish themselves as females pointing it out whenever possible or writing posts such as "hugzzzz", "/kisses" and so on. I just disregard them and I am 99,99% sure I won't be mistaken.

The only females I actually consider to be females are the ones extremely popular. Like Gem or a moderator, someone who would be mature enough not to mess with fake genders.

DeletedUser

Here is the way I see things.... does a persons gender affect a persons ability to play the game? Answer No... So In my opinion it is not important. A person should not been seen as male or female but gender Neutral. This way it avoids people having sexist opinions towards a player even if they are not openly sexist. And this also extends towards a persons age. And generally speaking anyone who tries to emphasis certain gender traits is most likely a fraud. Most people don't chat like that normally so why would they feel the need to do it here.

DeletedUser

I've never made a secret of my gender, even going so far as to point out that I am male in some of my posts, however I used to use a female avvy as I liked it, and the current one was made for me when I requested an avvy in the graphics section.

I don't see what the needs if for this, as has been said assume everyone is male, unless you know for sure otherwise, (pix or it didn't happen rule :D )

DeletedUser14280

does a persons gender affect a persons ability to play the game? Answer No... So In my opinion it is not important.
Of course it isn't important. I want a gender thingy simply as a convenience.
A person should not been seen as male or female but gender Neutral. This way it avoids people having sexist opinions towards a player even if they are not openly sexist.
I believe I covered this; if you don't tell someone your gender, they'll just make assumptions about it and work on those.

Come on, people, you're worrying about nothing.
If you meet a stranger in the street, you can see quite clearly (most of the time) whether they're male or female.
I simply want to translate that ability to this forum.
It doesn't have to be mandatory, either. If this is introduced, you can just leave your gender field blank.
I just want the option to be there.

DeletedUser

Since i havent hide my gender anytime, so i would agree with you, Cel:)

DeletedUser16628

Good grief,I could care less about who is what gender I have run across some males that were females in 1 world and males in another which can confuse things sometimes I prefer to let all know right off the bat I'm a big bull!!!!!!!!Celxius idea is not all bad though it could help with some of the awkwardness that many of us feel in some conversations.

DeletedUser14280

If I can just make something clear, again:
I have no intention of forcing people to select a gender.
Now that I know of the existence of a gender field option, I just want that enabled so that we can say we're male, female, or leave it undisclosed.

And for those of you who still think that this is a bad idea, let me remind you that we already have the option to display our date of birth.
If you have no objection to that, you have no objection to this.

Diggo11

I really don't see why it's necessary. As far as adding an icon by the user's name goes, I don't think it would be possible in vBulletin without using a hack. For the rest, a mock-up isn't necessary because it would just require enabling the gender field in profiles.
There, it isn't happening. Now all you lot go spam OT instead:
Let's put this in off topic please people. It gives no merit to this idea.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[sarcasm]Well, why didn't you say so from the beginning? Diggo!! This idea is ready for the development stage!![/sarcasm]

:rolleyes:
Ok!

/me tries to move but accidently hits lock button

Status
Not open for further replies.