Script Several GM scripts

DeletedUser

Is it possible that the notepad script asks you to confirm when you choose to delete a note? Clicking on the cross straight away deletes the note and if someone accidentally clicks on the cross instead of the edit button, then they may lose important notes.
Great idea!

DeletedUser

Try, please, if the notes are really visible, if the hosting saves data, if editing and deleting works right.. And then write here a feedback, please :)
Hi, I read the 'hosting' part and then briefly looked trough the script code to look for confirmation. Why do you store the notes on your server?
Ok, sure, people tend to play the game at work and at home. But I'd just use LocalStorage to store the notes.

I'm not sure whether any bookmark/cookie 'backup' addons also store the relatively new LocalStorage data (it can become quite large). If not, you could always add the option to backup/recover the notes from your website (possibly asking the user for a secret key on first use - stored in LocalStorage).

DeletedUser

would it be pushing it to allow some bbcodes in notes?
Very good idea, I'll look on the game code if it's possible to do also the [player] etc. tags.

Sorry to advertise a competitor in your thread Shulik, but I just want to point out that West Calc's notepad does include BB code, including the [town], [fort], and [player] tags.
Hey! You advertise me here!! I'll kill you!!

No, I'm just joking. I think it's good if users can choose between more scripts.

But if you mentioned this script here, I'd like to write here some differences (the differences, where's my script better :laugh:):
  • The WestCalc-notepad doesn't use GreaseMonkey. You've to put the javascript into the adress bar always you want to use notepad (or you can of course make a bookmarklet). It could be annoying.
  • WC notepad use cookies to store the data, so you lost your notes when you delete cookies. You also cannot use it if you don!t have enabled not-session cookies (well, I think it's possible to make an exception). My script uses special GreaseMonkey storage space or my hosting (you can choose).
  • My script will have an alarm in next version (soon).
  • You can use my script only with Firefox 3.5, but WC's script with all browsers, I think. Here is the WC script much better, if you don!t have Firefox 3.5.
  • My script supports more notes, in WC you can have only one
  • With WC's script you have to use the javascript always you can open notepad. In my you have a menu button.
So to sumarize, each script has something better and something worse.

Hi, I read the 'hosting' part and then briefly looked trough the script code to look for confirmation. Why do you store the notes on your server?
Ok, sure, people tend to play the game at work and at home. But I'd just use LocalStorage to store the notes.

I'm not sure whether any bookmark/cookie 'backup' addons also store the relatively new LocalStorage data (it can become quite large). If not, you could always add the option to backup/recover the notes from your website (possibly asking the user for a secret key on first use - stored in LocalStorage).
You can choose where you want to save notes- rightclick on the monkey, choose "User scripts menu commands" and click on "Change disposal site for notes".

Backups for local-stored notes is a good idea.

DeletedUser

I have used both and I find yours to be better. Mainly for the reason that I do not have to paste the script in the url and then refresh everytime and also because of the other features you mentioned such as multiple notes. I guess the only important function you've missed is the bbcode.

DeletedUser

Very good idea, I'll look on the game code if it's possible to do also the [player] etc. tags.

It has to be possible if the competitor I won't mention again can do it, right? ;)

You could always just do it quick and dirty and make the user look up the idea and type it as [player=532835]Elmyr[/player], or any epithet they choose to give me, and convert it to a javascript link to show the profile.

I have used both and I find yours to be better. Mainly for the reason that I do not have to paste the script in the url and then refresh everytime and also because of the other features you mentioned such as multiple notes. I guess the only important function you've missed is the bbcode.

You don't have to paste the script, just make a bookmark...

DeletedUser

It has to be possible if the competitor I won't mention again can do it, right? ;)

You could always just do it quick and dirty and make the user look up the idea and type it as [player=532835]Elmyr[/player], or any epithet they choose to give me, and convert it to a javascript link to show the profile.

Oh, that was just a joke, I do these scripts for free so I like competition. They can get the good things from my scripts and add their functions to make better script (of course under GNU general public licence rules).

I don't want to do the BB-code so, it'd be very annoying for users. I hope there's a better way (I think the WC notepad uses the way, but I don!t want to look at its source - I want to find the way self, I don't want to anyone tell me I'm a thief.).

//EDIT: I found something very interesting: In settings - editing user profile is for parse BB-codes used AJAX request to server. I hope I can use it in notepad too.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

When we are talking about bb codes, would it be possible to have them for town forums and telegrams, using a GM script?

DeletedUser

When we are talking about bb codes, would it be possible to have them for town forums and telegrams, using a GM script?

It would definitely be possible, but the poster and the viewer would both have to have the script. It's still a good idea though.

DeletedUser

Maybe I'm stupid and I understood something you didn't mean, but I'm sure BB-codes are in forum and messages enabled, so I think that D. Saint meant just BB-codes shortcuts. Or not?

DeletedUser

Not all BB codes are allowed in forums and telegrams, like strangely in the former and in the latter.

You might even include a message in telegrams that you can't see everything without the script. Nah, nm...that would just be obnoxious.

DeletedUser

Aye, if you add a message bar feature to town forums and telegrams, similar to what we have here in the forums, it would be nice, but Elmyr is correct that the menus would have to be different (or at least some of the buttons disabled), since the bbcodes allowed in the town forums are not the same as those allowed in telegrams.

bbmenu.jpg

DeletedUser

Maybe I'm stupid and I understood something you didn't mean, but I'm sure BB-codes are in forum and messages enabled, so I think that D. Saint meant just BB-codes shortcuts. Or not?
You are certainly not stupid, but I was being a bit unclear. :)
i am indeed talking about BB 'shortcuts' for the BB-code already active in telegrams and town forums. What I am suggesting is adding a functional BB-interface, like this one taken from the town profile:
bbshortcuts.jpg

They are all active in telegrams and town forum posts already (I am pretty sure).

One addition could be adding
for town forum posts, but not in telegrams as they do not work there.

DeletedUser

I uploaded a new version of notepad script now. It's a relaseCandidat version, there could be some bugs, but I hope now.

Tomorrow, I'll (hope) add shortcuts to BB-codes, maybe add some special BB. You can use now all BB-codes supported in player profile such as [player], [town] and so.

There is also added a new funcion, alarm. It's in begining now, so if you want to use alarm, you should write into the right input not the time, wen the alarm should rign, but after how long should the alarm ring (in seconds).

For example: It's 20:00 now. I want my alarm to ring at 21:00. So I write into the input "3600". I'll made it more user friendly in some of next versions.

Full changelog tomorrow, now I'm going to go to bed. Good night, my friends :laugh:

DeletedUser

I updated the notepad script.

Each time I start I get two error pop-ups saying:

west-net says

Don't ask me what it means, but with the windows 'dong' sound that comes with it, it is a bit annoying.. ;)

Thanks for the great work, though. Reps given.

DeletedUser

The prommised changelog: (I rate as a previous version the version without saving notes to foreign server. The dev version was just for helping me with texting.)

• Absolutely changed the method to keep notes during your using West. Before the script took data by GM_getValue, now all data are downloaded when you open The-West and then the script works with them as with objects. (Yes, I know, terrible English used in this paragraph. I hope you understood and if not, it isn't anything important for users.)
  • Text which is only in Czech is now used for all countries (in previous version was instead of not-translated things not-saying-and-ugly 'undefined'.
  • Added possibility to save notes to my hosting. It relates with a lot of things:
    • If you write a note and want to save it to my server, the maximal length of the note is 600 characters (or do you think it isn't enough?) - this is used just for saving notes to foreign server, if you want to save them to local computer, you can make them much longer :)
    • You can get notes saved to my server from all computers with notepad.
    • To use this, you must sign up to my website abou The-West - http://tw-help.net
    • If you don't want to sign up, close the "context window" with the form to log in and then change disposional place for notes (ho to do it is in the help part)
    • After you log in into The-West, all notes have to be downloaded from my server. So don't worry if you click on notepad icon directly after login. Just wait a moment, notes will be there :laugh:
  • Added something like "console". If you delete the two slashes (//) since the 'consola();' in source, line 903 (or somewhere there, it will be changed) and refresh West, you get a little javascript console to access notepad program. You can send the javascript written into the textarea by pressing Ctrl+Enter.
  • Added new function - alarm (but I wrote the code for alarm before short time, it isn't tested enough isn't very much user-friendly):
    • If you want to be noticed to an event ant if you are sure that you will be connected to The-West at the time, you can use alarm (how to is in the help pars).
  • Added possibility to use BB-codes (the same as in the user profile) in note body. How to in the help part. Because of BB-codes is the note preview loaded a bit longer time.
  • The textarea where you write the note body is now bigger.
  • If you want to delete a note, you're now asked whether you really want.

Plans to near future:
  • Add a bar with BB-code shortcuts
  • Make setting an alarm user-friendlier
  • Add posiibility to delete more notes together
Did I forget something?

Plans to distant future:
  • Add possibility to get help, info about author, report a bug and so ingame.
  • Add possibility to edit notepad interface a bit.
  • Add possibility to make your own BB-codes.

And finally, the promissed HELP (well, not really help, just hints to new functions):
  1. How to change disposal site for notes?
    Rightclick on the monkey on the right bottom bar, choose "User scripts menu commands" and click on "Change disposal site for notes"
  2. How to set an alarm?
    It's quite user-enemy: Open new (or edit) note. Then check the checkbox next to "Switch alarm on:". And into the area named "After how long should the alarm ring (in seconds)?:" (could someone tell me better name?) write the time in second after that should the alarm ring.
    For example: It's 20:00. I want to alarm ring in 21:00. So I write there 3600 (one hour is 3600 seconds).
    Another example: It's 1.1.2010 08:00. I want to alarm ring on 12.1.2010 10:00. So I write into the input 957 600 (I hope it's calculated right :laugh:). Quite uncomfortably, isn't it?
  3. How to use BB-codes i note?
    I unfortunatelly don't have an interface to easily put BB-codes into note (I'm working on it). So you have to write BB-codes manually into the textarea. BB-codes are allowed just for the note-body. Supported BB-codes are the same as in the player profile. I'll once add some more. :laugh:

Hope no more help needed.

And now, I'd be very happy if you help me with following things:
  • Checking English in the notepad. Correcting mistakes
  • Translating the notepad into more languages.
  • Finding more understandable names for functions and so (e.g. "After how long should the alarm ring (in seconds)?:" - I think it's horrible)
  • Write a brief and understandable help, ideally with some images. I'd like to use it in planned ingame help, here and with translation in other countries. I'd of course write into credits who helped me with what :)
  • Telling more people about this scripts. Put it into town forum, your ingame profile, signature and so.
  • Writing here new ideas what to do in this scripts.
  • Finding and writing here found bugs.
  • Give me reps :D:D:D - just a joke, I don't do it for reputation. :)

I'd be really grateful for any kind of help. And in the version where will be credits, I'd of course put there your name, contact info or whatever you want.

I hope I didn't forget about anything important and hope that the English is understandable, too.

//EDIT: Sorry to moderators for doublepost, but this is important and if I'd just edit the previous post, maybe someone wouldn't notice it.
This is also something informative, so it shouldn't be together with excusing for a bug.

DeletedUser

Just a reminder to everyone. When you update the script to its newer version, your noted in the older version will get deleted so if you have something important, copy/paste them somewhere or keep a backup however you want. This is if you keep notes in the foreign server. If you choose to keep them in your own computer, just change the disposal site as instructed and you will get back your old notes.

@Shulik: could you make the spacing work a little better?
For example, in one of my notes, I have made a list of items I want to sell when I need the cash.
I put the name, add some space and then put the selling price. Then I move to the next line, put the item name, move to the bottom of the earlier item's price and put the next item's selling price under it.
But after I save it, all the spaces are removed and the sort of tabular form gets distorted.
Can this be changed?

Sorry if you didn't understand what I'm trying to say. I'll rephrase it if you want.