Sector Capitols

DeletedUser

Oh that is a good idea. Having another minimum job hours worked requirement. Added that to the original post as an option. Nice one.

Actually, have the work hours counter reset to zero when the player leaves the Sector Capitol. That would probably be the simplest way of doing it. I wonder if increasing the work hours needed to rejoin would be the way to go as well?

From what I'm reading, you want to try and kill rotation; so increasing the work hours required each time you leave and want to rejoin would be good. That would encourage people to stay in the capitol and to adhere to the capitol's rules on donations and activity if they knew they had an increasing work counter each time they leave or get kicked.

DeletedUser

Send it in to the Dev's!

BRILLIANT!!!!

It's a shame that we lose such a good experience-giver class.

DeletedUser

What about making it so that if you leave the County Capital you can't come back at all?

I mean, think about it ... for those that join, they are interested in joining because they want to retire from dueling, or they have completely built up their own town, or they don't want to be dueled and have not joined a town because they could be ... what would be the advantages to them for leaving? They'd be losing out on all of the "privileges" of being a member of the County Capital and they'd not be able to rejoin. This would completely remove the "hit and run" duelers from the equation.

And those that joined the CC because they have built up their own town as far as they could aren't likely to leave the capital that they can build to infinite levels to start another town they know can only go to a certain level, so why would they want to leave?

Leaving the CC doesn't make any sense other than for the "hit and run" duelers, so if you join and then leave, you shouldn't have the option of rejoining.

Or that if you are kicked, you have to be "voted" back in by the current members of the town (if there is an available space) based on your previous contributions to the Capital. (For example, BartBot is a member of the capital for 29 days, has kept up on his "taxes" and has done everything necessary to ensure the success of the capital, but got into an accident that required him to be away from his computer for several weeks. He's kicked for failing to pay his taxes or contributing to the town for those several weeks. He can reapply for membership -provided there is space- and the members of the town can look at his previous contributions and make the decision that way -in this case likely in his favor due to his absence being beyond his control and his previously exemplary behavior)

Also, there would need to be some kind of checks and balances for those within the CC for "paying taxes". For example, if you set the tax at 1% of their weekly income, then you risk the chances that someone is not going to work very much so that they don't have to pay much in taxes, or for builders to not go out and earn money by using the excuse that they are "building up the capital" instead.

I would think that a set amount, for instance, $500 a week (a week being 7 days) would be the way to go, because then if a player hasn't contributed that much, they can be "let go" from the Capital to make room for someone else who is willing to "play by the rules".
Also, builders might get a "bonus" and be required to pay slightly less taxes in return for a certain number of hours being spent on building up the capital. For instance, instead of the $500 tax they pay $300 per week but have to spend at least 10 hours working on building up the Capital. (This could be a sliding option allowing for them to choose from week to week which option would be better for them, but they would need to meet the requirements of one or the other to remain in the capital).

Also, by setting a definitive tax, it would remove from the Capital those only wishing to join so that they can go on vacation or be absent for some other reason for an extended period of time but yet maintain the benefits of being in the capital (being in a town with a bank and not being dueled).

I think this idea is a spectacular one, and if all of the details can be worked out, I think it's going to be a fantastic new addition to the game.

DeletedUser

What about making it so that if you leave the County Capital you can't come back at all?

I mean, think about it ... for those that join, they are interested in joining because they want to retire from dueling, or they have completely built up their own town, or they don't want to be dueled and have not joined a town because they could be ... what would be the advantages to them for leaving? They'd be losing out on all of the "privileges" of being a member of the County Capital and they'd not be able to rejoin. This would completely remove the "hit and run" duelers from the equation.

And those that joined the CC because they have built up their own town as far as they could aren't likely to leave the capital that they can build to infinite levels to start another town they know can only go to a certain level, so why would they want to leave?

Leaving the CC doesn't make any sense other than for the "hit and run" duelers, so if you join and then leave, you shouldn't have the option of rejoining.

People may leave for a variety of reasons. One of the most common would probably be to buy gear they can't get in the capitol. Or a builder might leave to help a friend finish a town. They may leave one capitol to found or join another. I'm sure for every person that joins a capitol and leaves they will each have a good reason for it. I'm not comfortable saying they can never join a capitol again.

Or that if you are kicked, you have to be "voted" back in by the current members of the town (if there is an available space) based on your previous contributions to the Capital. (For example, BartBot is a member of the capital for 29 days, has kept up on his "taxes" and has done everything necessary to ensure the success of the capital, but got into an accident that required him to be away from his computer for several weeks. He's kicked for failing to pay his taxes or contributing to the town for those several weeks. He can reapply for membership -provided there is space- and the members of the town can look at his previous contributions and make the decision that way -in this case likely in his favor due to his absence being beyond his control and his previously exemplary behavior)
I don't know about everyone else but I don't like these voting ideas. What a pain in the butt that would be to code. First the devs have to come up with a way in game for everyone to vote, then there has to be a way to set up the parameters of the vote (how long will voting take place, majority rule or unanimous, minimum number of votes must be cast, etc). So many problems come with an in game voting system it isn't worth it. When I say in game that means the game has to recognize what you are voting on and then allow changes within the game based on the vote. (I have no background in coding so if I am wrong about this someone speak up)

Also, there would need to be some kind of checks and balances for those within the CC for "paying taxes". For example, if you set the tax at 1% of their weekly income, then you risk the chances that someone is not going to work very much so that they don't have to pay much in taxes, or for builders to not go out and earn money by using the excuse that they are "building up the capital" instead.

I would think that a set amount, for instance, $500 a week (a week being 7 days) would be the way to go, because then if a player hasn't contributed that much, they can be "let go" from the Capital to make room for someone else who is willing to "play by the rules".
Also, builders might get a "bonus" and be required to pay slightly less taxes in return for a certain number of hours being spent on building up the capital. For instance, instead of the $500 tax they pay $300 per week but have to spend at least 10 hours working on building up the Capital. (This could be a sliding option allowing for them to choose from week to week which option would be better for them, but they would need to meet the requirements of one or the other to remain in the capital).
I have never belonged to a town with taxes and no one has brought up mandatory taxes to belong to a capitol. But let's backtrack here and combine three of your ideas. Say there are mandatory taxes of $500 a week and someone goes on vacation. They are booted for not paying their taxes while on vacation even though they weren't playing the game and making any money. Now either they can never be let back in (per one of your suggestions) or they have to be voted back in (per another suggestion of yours). Never being let back in would be highly unfair and I've already shown how voting would not be feasible for the devs to implement.

In addition, the option for players that construct in a town to pay less taxes will encourage those that are not qualified to build to waste treasury money. I can see a melee adventurer deciding if he only does 10 hours of constructing this week he'll get a break in his taxes. The problem arises when his 10 hours add less than 1/2 in building points that a qualified builder could add in 4 hours of construction time. That is one sure way for a town to go broke fast.
Also, by setting a definitive tax, it would remove from the Capital those only wishing to join so that they can go on vacation or be absent for some other reason for an extended period of time but yet maintain the benefits of being in the capital (being in a town with a bank and not being dueled).
People that go on vacation or absent for some time don't need to be in a town at all. If they don't want to be dueled they just leave their current town and get an invite to rejoin when they come back. There would be no reason to join a capitol as you stated. If you are townless your money is safe.

The biggest problem I see right now is councilor/founder rights and powers over town members. I don't think any one person should have the power to kick someone from a capitol since the rejoin penalty will be harsh. The hierarchy of the town definitely needs worked on.

DeletedUser

In addition, the option for players that construct in a town to pay less taxes will encourage those that are not qualified to build to waste treasury money. I can see a melee adventurer deciding if he only does 10 hours of constructing this week he'll get a break in his taxes. The problem arises when his 10 hours add less than 1/2 in building points that a qualified builder could add in 4 hours of construction time. That is one sure way for a town to go broke fast.

To answer this, in my original post, I stated "Also, builders might get a "bonus" and be required to pay slightly less taxes in return for a certain number of hours being spent on building up the capital." This would apply only to builders, and not to any other class. You already risk non-builder classes to build in towns, there is no way (without the dev's disabling the option for them), so you would still run that same risk in the Capital. However, it would stand to reason that those who would be joining the Capital are experienced enough in the game to understand the detriment to the Capital as a whole should they decide to construct buildings. They are not likely to be stupid enough to do so just to get a break on taxes (if they were mandatory).

As for the other points in my post that you countered, I thought that this was a thread to come up with additional ideas, I did not realize that they would be as unwelcomed as you have made them seem. Perhaps next time I should simply keep my ideas/suggestions to myself.

DeletedUser

Wendy, if only builders get the tax break then it is a bit unfair to others who contribute to the town in as equally important ways.

Your opinions are welcome. I believe I took a logical approach in telling you why I don't believe those ideas would work. It certainly wasn't a reflection of what I think of you personally so don't take it that way. As stated in the original post, this is a huge idea and all elements of it have to be in harmony with each other. If you see a flaw in my logic regarding the rebuttal of your ideas then please feel free to state what those flaws are instead of feeling hurt by their initial rejection.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I didn't see this mentioned, but I apologize if it was and I just missed it. One of the first questions I had when I read this the first time was - if no dueling is allowed there, would people be able to duel someone who was visiting the town for one reason or another?

That's one thing that I can't make work in my exhausted brain. If it is allowed, then it seems that the members of the town can't prevent duels which goes against the reason members can't duel or be dueled; if it's not allowed, it would most likely be used a lot like hotels are now.

DeletedUser

It would not be allowed. There are very severe restrictions on who can join a capitol and how often. A players character can only join the capitol if they have over 600 hours of job time completed. Once they are a member, should they ever leave, they will either have to complete another 600 hours of job time or wait a month, or some other sort of penalty, before they can rejoin. No one can just pop in and out of the capitols like regular towns.

DeletedUser

So, nobody is allowed to enter the town unless they're a member? I guess I misunderstood a lot of what I had read before. I wasn't asking about members dueling, you already covered that.

DeletedUser

I don't understand what you mean by 'enter the town'. Nonmembers can shop there but pay out of town prices, they can sleep in the hotel. What else is there to do in a town?

DeletedUser

What I asked was - would it be possible for someone else to challenge a non-member who happened to be in the town? Maybe it's a question that only makes sense to me.:huh:

DeletedUser

I think it only makes sense to you. If they aren't a member of the capitol but are a member of another town regular dueling rules apply. The challenger has to go to their town to cue a duel against them.

DeletedUser

Ok, it was this part that made me wonder.
You can think of it as the Capitol of that area and the other towns are frontier towns. SC's will have more law and order therefore no dueling allowed.

Sometimes I get carried away with wanting realism; it's one reason I never finish a lot of my artwork too. Carry on and just ignore me.

DeletedUser

True like what you said, its gonna take a lot of development similar to the forts update. I am presuming that buildings in the SC will be different in figure. For example, the town hall should look big and have a dome and pillars. This should look entirely different on the map as well.

DeletedUser

I think this was touched on, but I don't remember seeing a final answer about it. How would people become members? Would they have to be invited by a founder or councillor like a normal town? If so, that would most likely mean that some people would have little or no chance of ever becoming a member, which seems a bit unfair to me. Is there any other way to allow someone who meets the criteria to join if they don't have friends already there?

DeletedUser

You have to do 200 hours community service to get in as said before and have $1000 (peanuts imo), it should be much harder to get in, it should be like the holy sanctuary, more like a certain experience (15,000) because if you choose a level cap it would be unfair on new players, a lot of cash for an entrance fee($10,000 minimum) and loads of community service (600 hours), something to work at, a long goal in the game.

I like the general idea, just think it's a bit easy to get in there, I play this game every day and know the goals set are extremely easy for most of us, building buildings should be 5x harder than they are now in normal towns (as in construction points) as great builders just zip through building sister towns (to easy).
It will be like the holy grail to be there, you gotta make the player feel special about it and that they have achieved something really big, it should be all most untouchable unless you are in the elite, that is my thinking on this.

Good idea basically, just sound to easy to get in.

DeletedUser

I understood about the requirements for joining, but I'm a bit confused about what you'd do once you could meet them. Would you just click on an icon to join the town and have the system check your credentials, or would you have to ask someone for an invitation? I wouldn't be likely to join anyway, but I'm still curious.

DeletedUser

Haven't worked out the details on the town hierarchy yet and the invitation system. If you don't meet the minimum criteria which is 600 hours of working on jobs (that is just an example, it could be higher and we can leave that up to the devs) then you can't get in. If you do meet the criteria then you would have to apply for membership to the capitol. Again, the town hierarchy has to be worked out and I would be comfortable with letting the devs figure that out if this is an idea they are interested in. The major points are 1. to reward long term players with a safe haven, 2. add a new dimension to the game, and 3. make leaving a capitol unattractive to ensure it isn't used as refuge for someone who wants to duel then duck into it. I don't expect every detail to be worked out and expect the devs to put their own spin on it.

DeletedUser

It's obvious that you put a lot of thought into the idea. I'm just one of those people who always seem to latch onto what's missing or what doesn't belong rather than just appreciate something for what it is. Nice job on it.