[SaltineJesus] Western Week of NonViolence and My Journey

DeletedUser

Thank you, and good luck to you, too.

(I now have the feeling you'll be coming after me) :p

DeletedUser

Haha! :D I've made some friends!

Let me real quick address some of the things said in my absence:

No one sees eye to eye with me? Now I simply can't believe that to be true! Let me list the stands I have taken in my time here:
- The world would be a better place if folks cared for each other's well-being more and harmed each other less
- Children should not be taken advantage of sexually
- A person ought be judged by his goodness and not the color of his skin
- Faith as understood in the Christian concept is not, as such, a necessity in reaching higher understandings of the Ultimate (reason can and ought to be employed)

Now, you may charge that I am naive, but that's a totally different topic. I think most of us value these things - or am I wrong?

As far as my methods, that response could be interpreted in any humorous number of ways - especially with Halloween so close! Any person who asked me to join their town got a response to participate in the week of nonviolence. The only exception to this was Hefty and Whistling as I attempted to broker a cease fire with somewhat mixed results. As they say in Romania, "Incercarea vina n-are," or "Doesn't hurt to try."

BJ, you have taken a fondness to me, it seems, and so I have to you! In spite of this, you don't figure quite that high in my list of priorities to inundate you in requests to be reasonable. That's your decision and responsibility. Threatening to report me for that is somewhat silly and, I think, disingenuous that you would suggest I would stoop to that.

DeletedUser

BJ, you have taken a fondness to me, it seems, and so I have to you!

Chills. I have the chills.

In spite of this, you don't figure quite that high in my list of priorities to inundate you in requests to be reasonable. That's your decision and responsibility. Threatening to report me for that is somewhat silly and, I think, disingenuous that you would suggest I would stoop to that.

Oh, come on, serious-man. We were just joking.

I already know you'd never continue an argument if you could help it.

DeletedUser

As I've said before, the issue you and I have is that at the base of things we hold very different assumptions about life, the universe and everything. That means that when we get into the messy details we are effectively speaking different languages and no common understanding is going to be reached. I've carried on discussions with plenty of people, but you and I just flat out have different foundational values. How long would you argue with someone in English if they only spoke Chinese? It's not that either of you are terrible people, it's just that nothing will come of it.

DeletedUser

So, how is this thread doing? I think tention is starting to build up in this thread, am I right?

DeletedUser

Nah, this is pretty typical. It always confuses me that people react with such negative emotion to topics that seem on their face to aim unquestionably at the Good, but such is life.

DeletedUser

Haha! :D I've made some friends!

Let me real quick address some of the things said in my absence:

No one sees eye to eye with me? Now I simply can't believe that to be true! Let me list the stands I have taken in my time here:
- The world would be a better place if folks cared for each other's well-being more and harmed each other less
- Children should not be taken advantage of sexually
- A person ought be judged by his goodness and not the color of his skin
- Faith as understood in the Christian concept is not, as such, a necessity in reaching higher understandings of the Ultimate (reason can and ought to be employed)

Now, you may charge that I am naive, but that's a totally different topic. I think most of us value these things - or am I wrong?

As far as my methods, that response could be interpreted in any humorous number of ways - especially with Halloween so close! Any person who asked me to join their town got a response to participate in the week of nonviolence. The only exception to this was Hefty and Whistling as I attempted to broker a cease fire with somewhat mixed results. As they say in Romania, "Incercarea vina n-are," or "Doesn't hurt to try."

BJ, you have taken a fondness to me, it seems, and so I have to you! In spite of this, you don't figure quite that high in my list of priorities to inundate you in requests to be reasonable. That's your decision and responsibility. Threatening to report me for that is somewhat silly and, I think, disingenuous that you would suggest I would stoop to that.
You forgot to mention me. I invited you to our town but you refused it. Every thread you ever make end up very long. Its all about faith, religion,race, and philosophy. Never mention that this is just a game and we are not really required to make too much peace here. I mean come on SJ, where is your sense of competitor ship? Do you think that in the game of football nobody gets hurt? Its a sport but people injure their legs from it.

DeletedUser

It seems I did, I hope you'll forgive that oversight.

The bottom line with this is that it was a symbolic gesture representative of brutally real situations that millions of people suffer daily. Participation was not mandatory, no prizes were even offered. Those of a like-mind could sign on, those of other opinions could perhaps ponder the issue as it applies to them. One might argue that it was too small in scope or not properly organized, and in this case constructive criticism would have been welcomed. Those who instead choose to deride the idea on the face of it should really sit down and ask themselves why. Not everyone in this world is so blessed to be able to pick beans or sell newspapers for two hours and then return to a safe home with people who love them.

My sense of competition is such that I do not believe it necessary for one man to be harmed or killed in order for another to profit in any real way. Repeated and intentional acts of violence move the ideal of happiness ever closer to the unreachable horizon in both the inflicter and the victim. Comparing the preconditional violence in football to that of the woman who suffers beatings at the hands of her alcoholic husband offers us nothing and marginalizes her situation. This week was symbolic.

In any case, this is the last day and I wanted to express my gratitude to and admiration of those who opted to sign the list, those who choose not to but to live the tenets of nonviolence in other ways in their lives, and those who entered in discussion here with the honest intention of us all coming closer to the truth in the matter.

Not everyone here takes me real seriously and not everyone thinks this a proper medium for such a message, but I say this in all honesty and hope that if anything comes of this attempt it's the following:

Be good to you and yours. May none of you ever suffer the hurled stones or insults of souls lost in angry ignorance. Blessed be you all.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Nah, this is pretty typical. It always confuses me that people react with such negative emotion to topics that seem on their face to aim unquestionably at the Good, but such is life.

Hmm, so everything is doing fine in this topic, good. Hope this topic will prosper. Anyway, goodluck on making this topic long!