Roadmap 2011 Feedback

DeletedUser

would be nice knowing how the gamemakers think when they come up with the idea of the removal of the 48th hour peace and quiet when you get koed. already there are people who are terrorised by psychos who hits them over and over and over again. i know some who have left thanks to those kind of xxxxxx's will you see anymore leave? just keep the psychos left playing?

DeletedUser9470

would be nice knowing how the gamemakers think when they come up with the idea of the removal of the 48th hour peace and quiet when you get koed. already there are people who are terrorised by psychos who hits them over and over and over again. i know some who have left thanks to those kind of xxxxxx's will you see anymore leave? just keep the psychos left playing?

au contraire, taking 48 hours away will allow people to retaliate. builderkillers are the ones who should fear this 48 hour removal!

Deleted User - 1278415

Where was the idea of lifting the dueling block created and discussed.

I have to say that ideas can be voted on and submitted to the developers to let them consider them. It doesn't mean it is going to get implemented regardless of whether we vote pass/reject an idea or not. But don't always cry foul about not getting a vote on idea or concept when it happens. IE enhanced premium world changes.

The developers have their own vision/version of how they want the game to be made projected to their paying/viewing audience.

Its a game. Granted they do listen to the comments of the Cm's of how the communities react to a feature and if it doesn't go over well then that feature can be suggested to be changed.

Also just because something is in the road-map doesn't mean it will happen in the next update or ever. Best example the Inventory limits idea. That was rejected by a coding issue so they redid the whole inventory and now there is something like a 2xxxxx limit on stacked items. Problem averted.

So don't get your knicker-boxers up in a twisted knot, cause it may or may not happen.

I mean building deterioration was on the 2010 road-map, and it didn't happen.

I look forward to some of these changes. Looks promising.

DeletedUser29831

You got to be kidding me.

If they are going to be able to attack duelers after they got ko'd they are going to have to be able to attack everyone after they got kod to be fair..not just one class.

No, I wasn't kidding. If you choose dueller, I guess you like duelling. So hit each other, and the rest uf us can do what we like. Would remove the biggest irritation with the game for me. ;-)

As to -Neo-, how do you suggest a HP tank or a pure builder should be able to retaliate against a dueller 25 levels higher?

Noonian: Spot on, although I think some duellers are more than 15.

Dart Maul: I'm sorry, I didn't understand your last post.

DeletedUser9470

the best dueller is not the strongest one but the most annoying one.

DeletedUser22685

I think some people are misunderstanding. The developers did not announce that the 48 hour KO period will be removed, it was Darth Maul's proposed idea. Don't get your knickers in a knot just yet :p

DeletedUser29831

From the road map:
Health points and dying chances
Players hurt themselves more often and worse during work. Duels also cost more health points. Passing out will be weakened a bit. Energy will not be lowered as much, the duel block will be lifted.
Would be nice with a clarification of what it meant.

And I always go commando, so my knickers have no problems. :p

DeletedUser

on the dutch board what ties into the higher damage is elixers/food costing nuggets,i dont understand why that wasnt mentioned in the original post post?
so you could ko someone and they could come back at you almost right away,bit of a massive inbalance tween prem and non premium players and i seriously doubt what gets said by a forum or anyone here has any influence on inno's business descions on there game set up ,if it did ,not exactly a company id buy shares in,i really like a lot of the ideas,ive really liked a lot of the recent inclusion,but to chamge dueling so you can sell people lil health potions is madness

DeletedUser22575

No, I wasn't kidding. If you choose dueller, I guess you like duelling. So hit each other, and the rest uf us can do what we like. Would remove the biggest irritation with the game for me. ;-)

As to -Neo-, how do you suggest a HP tank or a pure builder should be able to retaliate against a dueller 25 levels higher?

Noonian: Spot on, although I think some duellers are more than 15.

Dart Maul: I'm sorry, I didn't understand your last post.

How about you go find a non dueling game to play instead of joining one that is then whining ? :laugh:

DeletedUser

How about you go find a non dueling game to play instead of joining one that is then whining ? :laugh:

and how about you don't post any post, if you don't have anything smart to say

this is same answer in same agehood manner you used, and it is not nice, is it

the west is advertised as RPG game, is it not?
i think you will find gold banner developers proudly stating that it recived gold medal as best browser RPG game for year xxxx

if dueling block is removed, it is not RPG game any more, bar none, no discussion needs to be commented any more

Last edited by a moderator:

Diggo11

For the redesign, keep netbook limitations in screen size (height) in mind. If navigation becomes too difficult or impossible, as it is in some game, you'll lose players.
I play on a 1024x768 CRT, they'll know if they don't accommodate hehe. Fortunately though, if you look at the image in a separate tab, you'll see the screenshot was taken in a 1024x768 sized window ;)

Also just because something is in the road-map doesn't mean it will happen in the next update or ever. Best example the Inventory limits idea. That was rejected by a coding issue so they redid the whole inventory and now there is something like a 2xxxxx limit on stacked items. Problem averted.
Indeed, inventory limits are gone once and for all. However that was not due to a coding problem during implementation, it just a great example of how constructive criticism pwns. Ever since it's announcement in 2009 (iirc) there has been page upon page, thread upon thread of whinging and whining, to no avail.

Yet, it was just three simple paragraphs that turned the entire situation around. One of which I quote:
"Very good for the servers - very bad for the people on those servers, who've spent alot of time, effort and possibly money actually collecting these items. Plus, the servers could be fixed alot of other ways, such as fixing the back-end way items stacked. If you stored code smarter rather than sparingly, for example items as [ i#x4 ] rather than [ id#, id#, id#, id# ], that wouldn't really be an issue."​

DeletedUser22575

and how about you don't post any post, if you don't have anything smart to say

this is same answer in same agehood manner you used, and it is not nice, is it

the west is advertised as RPG game, is it not?
i think you will find gold banner developers proudly stating that it recived gold medal as best browser RPG game for year xxxx

if dueling block is removed, it is not RPG game any more, bar none, no discussion needs to be commented any more

I didn't say I agreed with the dueling block being removed. I said whining about being dueled in a dueling game is not the answer.

As far as the RPG..you seen any of it in this game ?

DeletedUser

Here is MY take on what I read, to me it looks like a lot of sideways developent.

I am trying to be contructive below.

OVERALL very depressed to hear the changes proposed, changing the look/feel, and not the game play, VERY BAD.

Biggest problem with games today 80% looks 20% game play.

I like the duelling system basicilly as is, here is the only change I would like to see, less XP for the dueller when duelling an un armed player. This is realistic and allows for players to decide if their focus is duelling or not. Damaged caused and money taken can remain the same.

HERE is my biggest change desired!!! Shopping passes or better yet, an ordering system. With an ordering system you can order any item, that is allowed for that shop level. The order can take 24 hours or if it is ordered from another town the distance from that town. Also will have a 10% - 25% extra fee.

HERE is my second!! The proposed changes to the jobs is a little better. But what would be WAY more realistic is jobs to appear and dissappear. If you you have a newspaper it makes it even better. Here is an example: Branding cattle will appear in a location and will last 36 hours. After the time is up it is moved to a new location. Jobs will have different times and locations. Rare jobs may appear for less time and be further apart. Post these jobs in the newspaper, time offered, etc... The other change is same job but different difficulty ratings, maybe 1 to 5. This will allow player to do more jobs but for less or more return. Example Level 1 Branding has slightly less skillpoints needed, and reurns 30 XP, level 5, needs more skill points and returns 80 XP. So even BIG jobs can be done earlier with less return. Another example Perform with Buffalo Bill at level 1 may only need 340 points, this would be like a rodeo clown, level 2, 540 points, like a stable hand, etc... This would take the 120+ jobs and equal to 600+ jobs.

Here is my third! A railroad system (this can slowly develop as the world grows.) Also a stage coach system. It can bring new items to shops, used for tranportation.

Here is my fourth. More buildings [Actual Houses or Ranches(to live in and store stuff) Doctor, Saloon, Livery, Train Station, Stage Coach stop, etc...]

While still on my soap box. VERY dissappointed to hear so much effort on looks and not game play. You will get far more players and long term players if there is MORE game to play. Looks may get them to start, but something to do will keep them coming back.

DeletedUser22685

HERE is my second!! The proposed changes to the jobs is a little better. But what would be WAY more realistic is jobs to appear and dissappear. If you you have a newspaper it makes it even better. Here is an example: Branding cattle will appear in a location and will last 36 hours. After the time is up it is moved to a new location. Jobs will have different times and locations. Rare jobs may appear for less time and be further apart. Post these jobs in the newspaper, time offered, etc... The other change is same job but different difficulty ratings, maybe 1 to 5. This will allow player to do more jobs but for less or more return. Example Level 1 Branding has slightly less skillpoints needed, and reurns 30 XP, level 5, needs more skill points and returns 80 XP. So even BIG jobs can be done earlier with less return. Another example Perform with Buffalo Bill at level 1 may only need 340 points, this would be like a rodeo clown, level 2, 540 points, like a stable hand, etc... This would take the 120+ jobs and equal to 600+ jobs.
This would make it nearly impossible to work your best jobs. Not only would it take time to scroll through the map to find the level of job that would equal the return of what was given previously, but you would then have to travel to one of these scarce locations and then, by the time you get there, it could have timed out and disappeared to another location completely. You will then need to again search, travel and hope the job stays put long enough for you to make a decent profit/exp gain out of it. It would drive people away from the game rather than bring them to it!

DeletedUser9831

the pass out timer is important for some people like workers,, so taking it off might not be as good,, maybe reducing it for duelers and soldiers?,,,

And i would be great if you can improve the visials,, like making the charterer and the characters duels more realistic (making them wear their actual clothes and weapons, or something like that)....

DeletedUser

I didn't say I agreed with the dueling block being removed. I said whining about being dueled in a dueling game is not the answer.

As far as the RPG..you seen any of it in this game ?

sure, basic concept of RPG is ability, to develop character in manner you please, currently west offers that opportunity cuz you can choose worker class for example and make build in wich ever manner you want, you can make default builder with construction, or enything else like melle dueler, or go for advanturing skills with soldier or go for any kind of skill/attribution points distribution with any class

sure, west is not open ended RPG with opend ended quests, like real RPGs, but just ability to develop any class in any kind of manner, AKA skill/attribute distribution is opened, is one of main qualities of RPG

if people will be able to duel anyone all the time, nowone who is not skilled in dueling defence will not be able to do jobs/quests/fort fights

imagine very simple situation where couple people/or one person decides to duel you constantly and keep you KOed all the time, you would need to be skilled in dueling defence to just walk from your town to any job location/fort fight/quest giver location/market where you purchused item etcetc

basicly, live players will have ability to stop you from playing game if you are not skll/attribute points designed, to sustain their attacks

wich by default, constitutes that you dont have free choice to play game as you please, sure you can be townless, but that also by default constitutes you are loosing large part of the game which is by default designed to be player/town interacting game

for example, on Briscoe, i am lvl 110 in dueling cuz of high level, probably not very easy target for most of people, but my character build is fort fight, and i love to do quests, and even so ... for months i am not able to do proper job/quest/fort fight unless i am under 48 hours dueling block

now imagine people who will spend no skill points in dueling skills, but skills that will enable them to be builders, or to do high level jobs/quests etcetc...they wont be able to move arround map, if they are part of some town with mortitian.....without dueling block, people will be forced to make certain kind of builds, or to be townless, ... in any case free will and ability to enjoy most parts of the game will be taken from them by other players

DeletedUser22575

sure, basic concept of RPG is ability, to develop character in manner you please, currently west offers that opportunity cuz you can choose worker class for example and make build in wich ever manner you want, you can make default builder with construction, or enything else like melle dueler, or go for advanturing skills with soldier or go for any kind of skill/attribution points distribution with any class

sure, west is not open ended RPG with opend ended quests, like real RPGs, but just ability to develop any class in any kind of manner, AKA skill/attribute distribution is opened, is one of main qualities of RPG

if people will be able to duel anyone all the time, nowone who is not skilled in dueling defence will not be able to do jobs/quests/fort fights

imagine very simple situation where couple people/or one person decides to duel you constantly and keep you KOed all the time, you would need to be skilled in dueling defence to just walk from your town to any job location/fort fight/quest giver location/market where you purchused item etcetc

basicly, live players will have ability to stop you from playing game if you are not skll/attribute points designed, to sustain their attacks

wich by default, constitutes that you dont have free choice to play game as you please, sure you can be townless, but that also by default constitutes you are loosing large part of the game which is by default designed to be player/town interacting game

for example, on Briscoe, i am lvl 110 in dueling cuz of high level, probably not very easy target for most of people, but my character build is fort fight, and i love to do quests, and even so ... for months i am not able to do proper job/quest/fort fight unless i am under 48 hours dueling block

now imagine people who will spend no skill points in dueling skills, but skills that will enable them to be builders, or to do high level jobs/quests etcetc...they wont be able to move arround map, if they are part of some town with mortitian.....without dueling block, people will be forced to make certain kind of builds, or to be townless, ... in any case free will and ability to enjoy most parts of the game will be taken from them by other players

I am opposed to the dueling block being lifted.

But I also think if you knowingly join a dueling game (remember those gunslingers where you sign in) then you have to expect to be dueled, and learn how to deal with it. Not expect to "be able to do what you want and not be dueled".

If thats what players expect..to be able to play and never be dueled then they are playing the wrong game. You have to play the game the way it is..not join it the way it is and then expect it to be changed to suit you. Sort of like going to a Ford dealer and buying a Ford and then demanding they make it a Chevy if you know what I mean.

Red Falcon

What I like and what I dislike about the 2011 roadmap...

Poker (1.31)
Players can use their cash to participate in a game of poker at any time. (This can presently be tested on the Public Beta.) I like this because poker can be a fun game and it can be a great way to reduce your stress after a hard day's work or it can be something fun to do if you're bored.

Health points and dying chances
Players hurt themselves more often and worse during work. Duels also cost more health points. Passing out will be weakened a bit. Energy will not be lowered as much, the duel block will be lifted. I do not like this, because this means that because of the increased chances of dying, this brings more risk into the game, and risk is not always a good thing to have in a game.

New Duel System
The current system (attack zones, dodging) will be replaced by a new system. Each duel round has one attack and one movement action. The higher the dueling level, the more rounds are fought (3-12 rounds).

Attack action: The attack action is by default a hit/shot. With added skills other actions can be learned.
Movement action: Players to move to the optimal distance to the opponent and by that to cause more damage or to dodge an attack. With added skills other actions will be available.

It will be balanced so that skills and attributes are equally important to actions. Ranged and close combat will remain comparably strong. The current dueling skills will be less important for the hitting chance and damage calculation, but they will be more important for the dueling actions. Luck will be minimized. The equipment and weapons will take a bit role in the calculation of the earned experience points to constrict duel pushing. I am not sure about this one. In my opinion, the dueling system is fine the way it is now.

Towns
Certain buildings will have unlimited construction levels, offering some (but minimal) advantages and something to do for builders. Constructing buildings above level three will consume resources. These high level buildings will deteriorate over time. This idea is not to good, because this means that you'll have to work in order to find resources for your town. And if your town is already fully built, then you'll have to waste your time trying to keep your town in good shape, since you'll have to worry about your buildings deteriorating over time. Not good at all.

Higher Character Class Bonuses
Character class bonuses will be improved. We are considering creating 'so many' bonuses per class and allowing them to select one upon reaching every tenth level. More diversity and balance will be created. I definitely like this plan. It will certainly help if any of those not-so-good things are going to be introduced.

Newspaper
A newspaper will be released every 3-7 days. It will hold statistics, a horoscope and short player statements. To read the newspaper a symbolic payment has to be paid.
Statistics: Fort battle results, finished towns, Players that have reached a milestone level, best dueler, etc.
Player statements: Player can write short statements into the newspaper. There is a limit to the amount of statements posted. Each player offers a certain dollar amount for each article. The players with the highest bids are printed. Sounds like another good plan. It's small, but it will make the game more interesting.

For 2011:

Crafting
Players can use recipes to craft new items. Characters can specialise for crafting purposes. Possibility of the introduction of skill trees. Another good game plan. But I thought something like this was already implemented before. And if it was, does this mean you can now combine items to create new products?

New Screendesign
A fresh new design will be included for both the game frame and windows. It will optimise the UI for ease of use and less clicks, plus it will appear more aesthetically pleasing through the use of free floating elements. Good idea, but no comments for this one.

Content (Balancing)
The levels and requirements for various elements of the game will be adjusted so the follow one progression curve. Not sure what this one is supposed to mean...

Town Customisation
The town page will be redesigned. It will allow for free positioning of both existing and new buildings and miscellaneous items such as statues, trees, etc. The layout of the town may provide different advantages and disadvantages. This would be good if my idea was integrated into it. Check out the Ideas forum to see my idea.

Randomized Items
Existing items, new and unique items can be found or created with random bonuses. This will generate a far greater diversity of equipment. Sounds good, but no comments for this one...

New Map
A new map will be created, based upon the real US topography. Jobs will be zoned and location dependant to reflect where different types of work would be available in the real Old West. Multiple jobs will be available from more sparse "works" locations. Sounds awesome! No comments needed.

Character Customization
It will be possible to customise character appearances, ie avatars. Possibly done through the use of sliders to alter hair, scars, eyes, etc. I definitely like this and can hardly wait to see what this 'Character Customization' will look like in the game.

My overall score on this roadmap is...7 out of 10 stars.

DeletedUser29831

I am opposed to the dueling block being lifted.

But I also think if you knowingly join a dueling game (remember those gunslingers where you sign in) then you have to expect to be dueled, and learn how to deal with it. Not expect to "be able to do what you want and not be dueled".

If thats what players expect..to be able to play and never be dueled then they are playing the wrong game. You have to play the game the way it is..not join it the way it is and then expect it to be changed to suit you. Sort of like going to a Ford dealer and buying a Ford and then demanding they make it a Chevy if you know what I mean.

As I have stated several times before, I accept the duelling system as it is today. I don't like it, but I accept it as part of the package for playing fort fights. But if the 48-hour blockis lifted, it no longer is the game I signed in for. My comment about let duellers just duel duellers was just my wet dream, nothing I seriously expect. But I expect a poll about several of this sugestions before implementation.