Rise of the Sentinels

• Thread starter DeletedUser28032
  • Start date

DeletedUser25825

Busana listened quietly to the sneak thief, and did not betray any thoughts she may have about what was shared. After Dalliance had finished telling the information she wished to know, she simply nodded. She looked at Ragnar, and jerked her head toward the door. Dalliance sat up, about to protest, until Busana flicked her eyes toward him, causing him to rethink what he was about to say and sink sullenly back against the seat.

She exited the room, and walked toward Gunther. He looked up at her, and she stated, "You need to clean your house. There's a group of unauthorized assassins working within it, probably the tunnels. It's bad business, when you fail to get your cut of the profit. Don't you agree?" The fat man narrowed his eyes slightly, and then nodded as he waved his hand in a bored manner. Three of the individuals lining the walls, pushed away from them and slunk off toward the exit.

She continued, "Your eyes and ears are blind and deaf to the people I'm looking for, so my guess is they're also in the tunnels. Got a map by chance?" Gunther bellowed out in laughter and shook his head as he said, "Sorry Busana. Nobody goes down there for long enough to map out. The only one that knows those tunnels, isn't here... and quite frankly I haven't seen him for the last day or so." Busana nodded, and folded her arms as she asked, "Would you perhaps know of the entrances? It's been a while since I've been in the stink hole of a city. I know there's an entrance near Magpie... where are other entrances in the vicinity?" Gunther scratched his chin thoughtfully with the tip of a dagger, and smiled as he asked, "What's in it for me?"

Busana unfolded her arms, and asked, "What is the information worth to you... and I'll let you know if I agree to pay." Gunther stared at her for a few long moments, and then muttered, "The usual. I still don't have enough gall to demand much more of you. You're not much into the whole counter-offer thing I hear. Something about a lot of your disagreements end poorly for those involved against you." Busana shared a chilling looking smile, and Gunther nodded as he said, "Yup. The usual then." Busana reached into her cloak, pulled out a small leather purse and tossed it to the guild master. Gunther didn't bother to count it as he said, "Ok, around Mapgie... there's Plynth St to the north, Galvenston St to the west, and Kilbarn St to the east. South... well that's where we are." Busana nodded, tucked her braid into her cloak and raised the hood as she said, "Thank you."

Gunther lifted his eyebrows in surprise and stuttered, "Y..you're welcome Busana. You're always welcome to come work for me you know." He grinned, revealing his nasty yellow teeth, as Busana shook her head and replied, "I think I'll stick with free lance, but will remember the offer." She nodded for Ragnar to follow, and led the way out of the cellar. As they climbed the steps up to the alleyway she whispered, "I say we go to the Plynth cover. Galen and Mark would be traveling north, and it's the most likely exit they'll come to."

DeletedUser28032

"Aye sounds like a plan...you realise that if we are dealing with the Red Rose then Gunthers men don't stand a chance" Ragnar wasn't all too sure they stood a chance twenty years ago when he had killed the last one yes but now?
They ran silently through the deserted alleys like shadows in the night eventually reaching Plynth street, hauling the heavy wooden cover from its housing Ragnar recoilled from the stench emanating from below "By the Gods, now I rememeber I why I live in the woods" checking his sword was still in place Ragnar slowly climbed down the filth smeared ladder into the stinking mire bleow, he would have to track them in the dark though hopefully that shouldn't be too hard after all how many people would be in the sewer?
Ragnar moved slowly following the trail in the sewer floor, his eyesight rapidly adjusting to the dark.
after about five minutes of walking ankle deep in flith Ragnar heard the distant ringing of steel on steel "I think we've found them unfortunately so have they" no longer ineed of sign Ragnar began to run hopefully they would arrive before it was too late.
-----------------------------------------------
Mathelds Crew
Matheld hung back and let her men do their work she had watched as the thief had landed a swift blow to Alaine under his arm pit causing him to fall screaming into the floor his blood mixing freely with the sewage in which he lay.
Meanwhile the hunchback had managed to pin the priest up against the slimy tunnel wall, his long butchers knife only inches from his robes.
Matheld saw her moment Guido had managed to turn the thief so that his back was to her, gripping her blade tightly she ran swiftly towards his unprotected back intent on driving the blade down through his neck, the theif turned wide eyed in time to see her blade rise his eyes filled with the knowledge that there ws nothing he could do to stop it.
Matheld allowed herself to smile as she brought the blade down for the kill.
There was a flash of pain, nerveless fingers releaing the blade that moments ago she had been gripping, she stared horrified at the arrow that protruded from her wrist, she screamed in pain and outrage as the two figures came running out down the tunnel towards the ongoing melee. Gripping her wrist tight she fled into the dark, this fight was lost and she had no intention of dying in these stinking sewers.
--------------------------------------------------------
Alayen Northman
Alayen's blade wrang against Ben's, his men cheering him on and no doubt gambling their sparse wages on him.
They had come to like each other finding common ground through warfare at first but soon discovering they had other interests. It had started with Ben proclaiming the merits of throwing knives although Alayen had swiftly pointed out that although they were good against an unarmoured opponent they would be useless against a shieldwall.
Ben rained several blows at him, Alayen barely able to block them all, the sparring sessions were close, they always were.
"Captain Northman...Captain Northman, Ascenti raiders in the valley!" Alayen stopped in mid swing turning to face the panting man "How many?" "I don't know sir around twenty on horseback?" Alayen nodded it sounded like a raiding party all right "gather the men we ride at once, Ben you interested in seeing how real soldiers fight" he asked as his men dressed in leather and mail armour, another man appeared leading several horses ready for the men to mount up, this would be the first real fight Alayen woud have had in the best part of a month and he was looking forward to it

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31931

As the raiders appeared Ben smiled "mind if I come with you. I could help." and the captain agreed. Ben ran to the stables and collected Lightning and rode to the front gate. He met Northman there and they spotted the raiders. Ben estimated there were 25 on horse back 20 swordsmen and 5 archers. Ben told the Captain and he told his archers to ready themselves. As they shot off the first volley of arrows the gates opened and all the horsemen charged through swords drawn. Ben pulled out a throwing. Having taken Alayen's point he was going to show him that a knife could take the opponent by surprise and fly past his shield into his stomach. The knifes were sharp enough to pierce armour. Ben threw the first one off and one of the riders fell. Ben drew his sword and charged in. They met with a thundering clash of blows and Ben was in the middle of it all. He spotted Northman holding off two men at once. Ben thrusted through his opponent and galloped over. He charged into the first causing him to turn and to fight Ben. This gave Northman the opportunity to go on the offensive and he attacked them with power. Then he stabbed one and Ben turned to help him with the other. The man was beaten but he kept on fighting. Ben smashed his sword into the side of the man's head and called over a soldier. Ben quickly tied the man to the horse and told the soldier to take him to the prison and lock him up in maximum security. As the soldier rode off Ben and Northman charged back into the throng. Men were falling left right and centre with both men hacking and slashing on all sides. Ben smiled and good and proper fight. It was all over soon and the slopes were returned to quietness with only the birds singing and the neighing of horses. three of Northman's men lay face down one of whom was still alive. The took them all back to the city to find out that the man was locked up. Northman's man was sent to a healer and as Ben went back to sparring with Northman he promised that tommorow he would interrogate the man in the cell.

DeletedUser28032

Captain Northman
Alayen waited patiently as the Ascenti approached the undefended village on the southern bank, it was more for show that to cause any actual damage but a show of arms would be required.
"mind if I come with you. I could help." Ben asked joining the men as the left the forts southern gate "Have you ever fought in a shieldwall before? your fancy sword play won't work there" however there was no time for an answer as the handfull of bowman shot at the distant enemy their arrows falling woefully short this would be a test of arms it appeared.
Seeing the galloping horses approach the Ascenti warband hastily formed into small shield wall, their oval sheilds displaying a white bull on a blue field.
Ordering his men to dismount Alayen formed his own wall and advanced upon them steadily, he outnumbered them heavily it would be quick and bloody.
The shields met with thunderous crash, men screamed and died amidst the pushing, the Ascenti broke and then it broke into a free for all, Alayen was glad to see Ben more than hold his own in the fight, even managing to capture one of the men.
The skirmish took all of ten minutes the Ascenti mounting up and fleeing leaving seven dead to Alayens two, a minor victory but a victory all the same.
Upon returning to Rithe Halla Alayen congratulated Ben on his performance on the field, though was forced to laugh at the mention of interrogating the prisoner "interogate him? to what end the man is a peasant he'll tell us nothing of use...No he'll spend a couple of weeks in the dungeon and then we'll trade him for one of ours thats how it works" Alayend muscle's ached from the fight, like his men he'd spend the rest of the day resting, in a few days time they'd lead a counter raid and thus the cycle would continue.

DeletedUser25825

Busana slipped down into the sewers alongside Ragnar, and hurried through the muck. As per usual, she did not complain, as this was par the course for her. Anything to accomplish what was set out, the little things mattered not. Her ears quickly picked up the sound of battle, and she followed Ragnar through the side tunnel the sounds originated from. She saw dancing torchlight and heard the cries of men in pitched battle.

As she rounded the corner with Ragnar, she spied Matheld raising her dagger to kill Galen. She reached inside her cloak, and drew her hand crossbow out. She stepped up onto the narrow ledge that lined the channel of muck, placed the crossbow quickly across her other arm which she had raised to steady her aim, and fired. The bolt whistled through the darkness and sunk into Matheld's wrist as it arced downward for the killing blow, causing the assassin to drop her blade. She heard Ragnar cry out, "Nice shot!", even as she splashed back down into the gong to continue forward. She growled, "I was aiming for her throat. Her wrist got in the way."

She ran the last few meters through the tunnel, drawing her dagger in the process, and slammed bodily into the hunchback who had been pinning Mark to the grimy wall. The man backpedaled from her strike, and tripped backwards into the filth. She glanced toward Ragnar, noting he and Galen were now facing the other assassin, and returned her attention to the hunchback who rose with murder in his eyes. She grinned at him, and lowered her center of gravity as she switched her dagger grasp from stabbing to a loosely held slashing grip. She lifted her chin and taunted the man by saying, "You should have stuck with getting people lost in here Jafeth. This vile air will be the last you breathe." The hunchback screamed at her and charged. She easily sidestepped the man's awkward jab at her torso, rewarding him with a deep slice across his bicep, as she twirled out of his reach. Jafeth screamed in rage, and ran off down the tunnel clutching his profusely bleeding limb. Busana looked toward Mark, Galen, and Ragnar, expecting to see them having finished off the last remaining attacker. She moved back to where she recalled Matheld having stood, and sunk her hand into the river of excrement to fish the assassin's blade out. She didn't bother to look at it, as she waited for the others.

DeletedUser

Galen wiped the blood of the second assasin off his blade, he turned round and faced Busana.
"so we meet again. thanks for saving my life." he said grudgingly.
she did not reply, as she was busy examining the eyepatched woman's blade.
even though it had only been in the filth for less than a minute, it was already covered in excrement.
he sheathed his sword and dagger, waiting for a response.
realising that he probably wasn't going to get one, he turned around and faced Busanas companion.
"have we met? i don't recall your face." he asked.
" i am Ragnar."
"ah, yes. i remember you now. you were the one who found me." Galen said.

DeletedUser28032

"Saved your skin more like, what is it...twice now?" he said wiping the blood from his sword, he'd damn nigh severed the mans neck with his first blow the second had only been for show the man had been dead before he'd hit the floor.
It was true he had been the one to see Galens potential all those years ago, staying Busana's hand in the process was no mean feat in itself, now it was time to see if his decision had been a good one "I trust word of the kings summons had reached you?" he said returning the long heavy blade to its scabbard, Galen nodded his head in reply to the question, good so they wouldn't be completly on their own "In which case I sugest we go to Rithe Halla with all due haste...lead the way Galen, I've had enough of these damn tunnels" Once out of the sewers it take them all of a days travel to reach Rithe Halla and discover once and for all why they had been summoned and also why some one else wanted them dead.
However it was as he was about to leave that he noticed the blade in Busana's hand, he recognised it as belonging to the one eyed woman before she'd been forced to drop it, Ragnar smiled as he remembered the look on her face. Moving to stand beside Busana he studied the blade as best he could in the dark. It was a slim bladed short sword that tapered to a point, he figured once they got it into the sun it would shine brilliantly blade like that always did "Correct me if I am wrong but...that looks like a Chasind blade to me" he spoke quietly, the girl with her short blonde hair was clearly not Chasind so it did beg the quetion how did she get it? "Come along Busana we'll be able to see more once we get outside"

DeletedUser

seeing Ragnar go over to Busana, Galen started speaking.
" if i am to lead the way then i suggest that we stick together, otherwise it will lead to separation and certain death."
turning his back once more he began to move through the sewer tunnels, he could hear the others behind following him.
he stopped.
"what is it?" Mark asked.
there should be an exit around here somewhere...
"are you lost?" piped up Busana.
"no. i just seem to have lost my bearings."
"you are lost then." said Ragnar.
"nope." replied Galen as he once more set off.
after several minutes of walking through the gagging filth. he saw the end ot the tunnel, and with that; the exit ladder.
"Aha!" he exclaimed. and moved towards it, as he reached it he turned around. "here is the exit! told you i wasn't lost." he said smugly.

DeletedUser31931

Ben watched the men train. He felt happy that they had finally got decent training. After seeing some appalling training techniques he had written up a proper training method and presented it to Northman. He had read it and nodded his head. After getting the counsels approval he had a the new training method implemented and they all trained properly now. Ben was now training magic with Hannah and finding how to do new spells every day as his magic improved. Training was vital, Sending untrained troops into battle was almost like saying: "Here come kill our troops. We don't mind at all!" and Ben didn't want that. He now trained all the time. The king had said when at least three sentinels were present he would announce the mission officially. Unofficially everyone who wasn't a civilian knew the mission. Ben had also been speaking to Northman. Northman had agreed to accept Ben as a commander once the mission was over as long as they came back. Ben was hoping to train more Sentinels and make an elite force. He wanted to call them Devil Killers. (by elite force I mean sentinel type thing so don't shoot me up on that please, I put it into modern terms for better understanding)

DeletedUser25825

Busana shook her head as she followed Galen through the sewers, at last they arrived at a ladder. She allowed the others to climb before her, as she watched the sewers warily. As Ragnar cleared the entrance, Busana narrowed her eyes and looked into the darkness. She still had that feeling of hostiles staring back at her, but dismissed the feeling for better maneuverability should the group be attacked by the unseen menace.

She aptly scaled the ladder and pulled herself up into the street. She slid the cover back over the opening, and looked at the assembled group. She announced, "I believe we are still being followed, and I suggest we get moving out of this accursed city. These streets are too well known by the thieves and assassins, which may very well be what's after us." She looked at the muck covered blade in her hand and moved over to a rain barrel. She dipped the ladle into it, and poured the water over the blade.

She studied the blade, and narrowed her eyes. She stated, "This is a Chasind blade. It belonged to Ovidegn. I had always wondered what happened to him. I look forward to feeding this back to his killer." She stuffed the blade into the back of her pants. She tucked her braid back into her cloak and raised her hood. She said, "We should hurry now. It's still dark, and we can escape the city before we're noticed if we go now. We will have to take a detour to the stream near here. We smell bad enough that tracking by sight wouldn't be necessary. Ragnar, mind Mark. I'll lead. Galen watch our tail." She moved off into the streets, staying with the shadows.

DeletedUser28032

Matheld
Lurking in the sewers deep shadows Matheld watched as the woman scaled the slick ladder and closed the hatch before she made her move.
Afraid that she'd become lost in the labyrinth of tunnels beneath this accursed city Matheld had followed the group of Sentinels as the thief had led them back to the surface, several times she had been forced to duck back into a side tunnel to avoid detection, the woman was good always alert almost to the point of paranoia, this must be the Busana that he speaks so highly about.
She felt her gut clench in fear at the thought of her master, failing to kill her targets was bad but losing his blade was unforgivable. A single tear rolled down her cheek, Matheld had been killing people for years, hardened to the cruelties the world had to offer meaning few things scared her, but her master...She was scared to death of him.
Pausing at the ladders top she listened silently to the sound of footsteps receding into the night good they're gone.
Lifting the heavy cover with some difficulty, Matheld went her own way into the night, clutching her wounded wrist to her chest although that would be the least of her problems after he was through with her. Failure wasn't taken well in the Red Rose's.
------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at the dishevelled priest Ragnar wondered how such a man ever made it into the ranks of the Sentinels let alone survive the tests "Stay close to me boy, we're going to be moving quick and I don't want to be held up" the priest nodded staring up at the brooding ranger, he was a long way out of his comfort zone and his recent brush with death was still hanging over him like the stench of the sewer.
Moving quickly through the twisting alleys the group exited through the south gate, the guard remembering nothing but a cough and a fist when he came to the following morning, grateful that it hadn't been a blade instead.

The sun rose slowly, silhouetting the walls of Rithe Halla in the distance, they would follow the river to its southern gate and from there they would head straight for the great hall at the hills summit.
Wringing out his shirt on the rivers bank he watched the priest as he tried his best to remove the stench from his robes, the boy had done well, there’s a core of steel in that one Ragnar thought to himself replacing the still damp shirt over his body "What’s your name boy?" the sudden question causing the priest to jump "Mark" Ragnar nodded to himself "Have you ever killed a man Mark?" Marks eyes grew wide with shocked horror "No, it is written that to take a life is a sin" Ragnar laughed at the mans obvious discomfort and pious response, his own gods had no such qualms about death "You may have to learn to live with a little sin because I fear there will be a lot of it where we're going"
It would take them most of the morning to reach Rithe Halla following the rivers course and the sooner they got moving the better “One of you see if Busana is ready to move off…Oh and shout first, if you saw her unclothed she’d cut your eyes out”
He couldn’t belief he was finally home, crossing the border in the night, he gazed up at the castle the suns light seemed to make the towers glow, a few more miles along the river was his fathers hall though the old man was no doubt dead his hall would still remain under the care of one of his brothers if they hadn’t marched to war already there was a history of violence in his family many a Wulfric had marched at the head of an army and many more had been sent to the halls of Valhalla on a funeral pyre.
--------------------------------------------------
Alayen Northman
Close your eyes and hear me say….One last long goodbye….One last song before you spread your wings
Alayen awoke as the songs melody floated up through his window, it had been a long day and Ben’s insistence on the constant training was beginning to even tire him although admittedly the men had improved in skill if not temperament.
Dragging a shirt over his head Alayen opened the shutters, the sudden introduction of light causing him squint down at the girl perched on the wall below. “Salut, you are Captain Northman, no?” she asked smiling up at him, she was quite beautiful her long dark brown hair cascaded down her back perfectly framing her brown eyes and flawless complexion “I am who are you and why are you outside my house” Alayen asked a little flustered to find such a beauty singing outside of his window, had he known he would have taken the effort to shave first before meeting her “C’est Idiote!” she exclaimed her hand flying to her forehead embarrassed at her imagined breach of etiquette “My name Kaella Isabetta L’Amour, I arrived this morning with the soldiers from Breton I am…what do you call it?...A Sentinel?”
Alayen studied the girl wondering if this was some kind of a joke she can’t be a Sentinel surely? Alayen studied the girl’s slight build and short stature; she was dressed in a white blouse and wearing a pair of trousers, slung across the dark blue cloak she wore there was a small harp nestled beside her pack, no she definitely didn’t look like a Sentinel to him but then again appearances could be deceiving “Wait there I’ll be down in a bit”
Turning away from the window Alayen listened in wonder as she began to sing once more, changing quickly he went to meet this mysterious woman “I apologise for being late Captain Northman…They haven’t left without me have they?” the girl looked at him genuinely worried it was as she was brushing aside a lock of hair that Alayen saw the daggers, lots of daggers it then all started to become clear “No you’re only the second to arrive, now if you will follow me I’ll show you the citadel” taking his arm Alayen led the girl up towards the kings hall to await the others arrival.

DeletedUser31931

Alayen ran up to him breathless "Ben! you have to come now! The second sentinel has arrived!" He almost shouted. Ben was thankful that another sentinel had arrived at last. "What's her name?" he asked excited.
"Kaella Isabetta L'armour" he replied and Ben fell into fits of laughter, "what?" said the captain confused "She's the healer of the sentinels. A well trained mage. It's just you should probably call her Isabetta. Nothing on your part it's just it brought back some fond memories." Ben had stopped laughing by now "anyway I'll head up to see her straight away. Which room's she in?" and so after getting directions from Northman he set off arriving at her room about five minutes later. He knocked on the door and heard "come in!" and entered. Isabetta had just taken off her knife belts and Ben closed the door and sat down in a chair opposite her. "So then what have you been up to for the last seven years? you tell me your story and I'll tell you mine."

DeletedUser28032

Kaella
Kaella looked up as the man entered the room, her hand instantly producing a fine stiletto blade from behind her back, she had learnt long ago that it payed to be armed even when inviting someone to enter your room, however upom seeing the man was unarmed she returned the blade to its hiding place "I am sorry Cheri...But I think you have me confused, No?" she said raising an eyebrow, confused herself by this mans apparent knowledge of her, perhaps he had seen her play before?
Captain Northman...Alayen rather as he had insisted she call him had found her a room in one of the taverns, she preferred the bustle of the town to the citadels high walls.
Sitting back down on the hard bed Kaella studied the man, remembering Alayens description of the only other Sentinel to arrive "You must be Ben? My name is Kaella Isabetta L'amour a pleasure to meet your acquaintance" she spoke in a strong Breton accent*.
"You should join me downstairs I am going to...How do you say?...Sing for my supper" she said the last bit with a smile as she lightly plucked the harp from off of the bed, leaving the knives where they lay, she wouldn't be needing them any time soon.

Kaella's music floated across the taverns dark interior her harp accompanying an angelic voice that never failed to produce coin from the taverns patrons pockets.
Got to be honest, you got to guarded, sure I am going to say... Right on the inside that is hardest...The hardest game to play
They sat and stared, enchanted by the sweet singing voice of the girl as she played her song so full of soul and longing.
Music was Kaella's life and she had made money playing her harp throughout the land, from lowly taverns to the great halls of kings and noblemen. It was through this talent and her ability to use it to gain access to nearly any where that she had met the Sentinels who had quickly recruited her as a spy and ocassional assassin when the need arose, although if you were to ask Kaella about her job she would simply reply "I am a troubadour, a raconteur and a bard"
Once the strings of her harp had stilled she turned to Ben, a nervous smile on her face "Did you like it?" with the music now finished the tavern returned to normal as if a spell had been lifted although no magic had been employed here. Scooping up the small collection of coins from the floor Kaella bought herself a drink and sat in the corner of the tavern quietly content with her lot in life.

(*Breton is essentially French, also the song she is singing is Honest by Band of Skulls)

DeletedUser31931

Ben was surprised she didn't remember him and then he thought. Oh of course! he hadn't thought at the time he had been under the name Samuel Forester (traditional Medieval name, Guess why?). He had been running from some particularly vicious pirates when he had run into her. Had hadn't been able to afford to trust her and to keep his disguise up he had pretended to be Samuel Forester (she better remember me this time!) to her as well. After she finished her singing (which was still as beautiful as he had remembered) he knocked on her door and came in again. "nice singing." he said complementing her "sorry for the confusion you know me as Samuel Forester although my true name is Ben Andrews."
"Samuel!" she cried in delight and then upon realising what he had said frowned "why did you have to lie to me?" she asked puzzled. As Ben explained she nodded "I understand what you had to. I forgive you for a that huge breach of behaviour Sam, no sorry Ben, although I seem to remember you never had much time for manners" she said jokingly. "you may find that they have improved since you last saw me" he replied "so anyway how are you? No first let me tell you about my life. Doesn't the man always go first?" he said chuckling and he began to his story right from when he left her.

DeletedUser28032

Kaella
"Samuel" she cried in mock delight still having absolutely no idea who this man was or who he thought she was. She had quickly learnt to go along with whatever people said in order to avoid unwanted confrontations, she had quite a knack at saying the right things at the right time which was probably why she made such a good spy, that and the way men drooled over her willing to spill their inner most secrets in the vain hope that she'd spend the night with them, she never did.
She patiently listened to the mans story, its beginning some seven years previous Seven years ago, I was ten years old at the time and living in a convent she thought to herself, her hand inched towards the dagger hidden up her sleeve for it was becoming more and more apparent that the man was lost in his own fantasy, a fantasy involving pirates and a girl by the name of Isabetta well that might explain the confusion its is my middle name but I barely use it once introductions are over.
Deciding that it would kinder to use brutal honesty Kaella gently interrupted the man and speak firmly and clearly said "I do not wish to offend, but I am not the girl you speak of...I am sorry but I have to go" Grabbing her things from off of the bed Kaella left the tavern she'd find somewhere else to stay it wasn’t the first time she’d had to flee the unwanted attention of a man, such was her life.
-----------------------------------------------
Matheld
He walked back and forth the campfire illuminating his tall gaunt frame, his eyes glowed evilly and that wasn’t just from the campfire “You…lost…My dagger” biting her lip Matheld nodded her head not daring to speak lest her voice fail her.
Whirling round with a sudden burst of speed the scarred man grabbed Matheld by the throat screaming with a fury unknown to any other man “you stupid girl!...do you know what you have lost? That was a gift” Matheld stood in his grip trembling, her eyes begging the other men gathered around the fire to help her. The men however made no such move they had already witnessed one of their number drowned in the dead marsh by this man after he had lost Ragnar’s trail they were not about to risk this mans wrath for her.
“I should cut out your eye and give you to my men…they would enjoy that…and once they have had their fill with you I will then leave you blind and naked for the wolves to feast on” the voice delivering the threat was low and menacing, tears rolled down Matheld cheek as he explained what he would do to her with such relish.
“…However I am in a good mood today…we have killed four Sentinel dogs already and I could use a capable if somewhat careless individual as you” Matheld sighed with relief as he released his grip about her throat “Instead I going to just settle for this” Matheld felt the blow to the back of her knee’s causing her to collapse in a heap and then watched in horror as he preceding to grab her wounded wrist and lower it into the cooking pot “No…no…please…no” she pleaded feebly struggling to release her wrist from his grip. she started to scream high and piercingly as she experienced such sweet agony as her fingers plunged into the pots boiling water, the rest of the men simply watched they knew their place and now she would know hers.
------------------------------------------------------

The journey to Rithe Halla had been swift and uneventful arriving at the southern gates at midday the sun was high in the sky with not a cloud in sight, earlier that morning they had watched as a column of men had entered the castle displaying the Fleur de lys of Breton on their banner no doubt much needed reinforcements.
“Halt and state your business” the sentry challenged as the four of them approached the southern gate, their boots covered in mud from the surrounding marsh “We have been summoned by the king out business is with him” the sentry looked the group of heavily armed travellers up and down before allowing them to pass “The kings expecting you go straight to the keep” Ragnar nodded once in understanding before leading the rag tag group of Sentinels on.

Ragnar stared up at the great halls high ceiling marvelling at the intricate carvings within the stone. Palace guard stood on both walls fully armed and armoured keenly watching the group of unarmed Sentinels for any sign of treachery on their part, there was seven of them in all a young girl who couldn’t have been much more than seventeen and a man he didn’t recognise either of them and they displayed no recognition of him either although the girl was making an effort to avoid the other man keeping her gaze firmly fixed on the daze in front of them.
Dropping to his knees upon the king’s entrance, Ragnar realised that he had been foolish to expect king Aeric; it was Carfel’s brother Arcturus that now held the throne and had done so for many years. Arcturus was an old man of similar years to Ragnar, his once pitch black hair now long and grey as was his intricately plaited beard.
The old man waved his hand irritably signalling the Sentinels to rise “As you may or may not know my daughter Isolla was taken captive by my treacherous son Tristan and taken into the realms of the Ascenti, I wish you to bring her back to me safe and unharmed…I offer a full pardon to all Sentinels and my eternal gratitude to you” the king paused fighting back the waves of emotion forcing their way out of his very soul at the thought of his beloved daughters peril “Captain Alayen Northman will accompany you in the mission he has a strong sword arm and experience of the Ascenti countryside and will prove invaluable to you” a tall man dressed in full armour stepped out from his position along the wall into the middle of the hall to join the other Sentinels, Ragnar realised immediately that this man was the kings man and he would be watching their every move.
“If you have any questions speak now and I will try to answer them as best I can” the hall went silent as the king awaited a response from his final hope of seeing his daughter again.

DeletedUser25825

Busana moved along with the group, and glanced at the other Sentinels who had returned for the call. There were hardly but any, and the others she knew not. They were all so young seeming to her, and she wasn't even close to Ragnar's years. She lowered her hood and pulled her braid out as she entered the great hall of the king. She dropped to her knees, as the others had, though felt no conviction in her action, which showed through her emotionless features.

She stood with the others, narrowing her dark green eyes as the king made his request, and named the reward. She folded her arms, as she turned her attention to the fully armored watch-dog the king sicced upon the group. She had no doubt he was capable in a pitched out fight with legions of men hacking at each other. She seriously doubted anything more than hinderance from the man on a clandestine mission, which she felt this one would be.

She quietly said, "No armored man will be invaluable, as you say, to this cause. I do not doubt his prowess on a battle field, but I seriously question a born and bred soldier being placed with us." She pointed at Alayen as she continued, "A man of his rank and stature was raised to rely on his armor, not his wits of the moment and unprotected. He'll be out there clanking along, and alert any sentry to our presence. Take his armor away, and he's just as useless, because it's been his constant companion. Ragnar is a man of the wilderness, and quite capable at handling ANY countryside we're sent to, and where he is unable I can aptly fill. The Sentinels have been trained from day one of our initiation in the ways of staying hidden, because of your brother's treatment of our society, and while we may not know each other personally, we know every Senitinel's ambitions and cause when it comes to protecting this kingdom. Yet, now you place an unknown into our midst, and expect us to succeed? It would have been better presented, if you had just said he's coming along because you don't trust us and been done with the whole charade."

She ignored the angry murmurs from the surrounding court, pushing her chin out defiantly as she continued, "It seems folly to me to call us here, and then put hobbles on our legs so we're nearly sure to fail. Which leads me to another concern. There are only six of us, and yet I know there are many more, or were. How is it as soon as the call for Sentinels to come out of hiding was made, there were Red Rose assassins suddenly coming out of the woodwork to remove our threat? Woodwork, which arguably, shouldn't even exist seeing they were supposedly wiped out years ago? Were you any other man, and only with the full knowledge that the Princess Isolla was indeed in the hands of your enemies, I would say this was just your elaborate means to an end of the Sentinels." She again ignored the murmurs of the crowd around her, as she watched solely the king's reactions to what she was saying.

DeletedUser31931

(@braetwalda: WHY?! I ASKED YOU NOT TO!)
Ben just felt annoyed. He sat down as she rushed off. She had been lying. He could tell from her voice. A lifetime of lying had taught him how to know a if someone was lying. He sighed and set back off to Northman's training grounds. He had promised to teach Northman unarmed combat and it's uses. He walked in and immediately pulled out his sword and ducked leaping into a front flip and landing perfectly turning around to meet Northman's blade. They parried. Northman was surprised at Ben's reflexes and tested them whenever he could. "So then. How was Kaella?" He asked putting his blade away. Ben just sighed and shook his head, "She doesn't remember me, but that's no surprise she was quite young at the time." and then with the flick of the wrist he cut of Northman's sword belt and his sword fell to the floor. "DEFEND YOURSELF!" he shouted. Northman dived for his sword but Ben was faster. Catching up with Northman the second he grabbed his sword and then Ben put his sword to Northman's head. "dead." he said "Now lets try again. This time neither of us wields a sword" he said casting of his sword and picking up Northman's sword and chucking it next to his. And so the fight began...

DeletedUser28032

"Still your tongue girl...Remember your oath!" Ragnar growled at Busana's outburst the guards flanking the hall nervously reaching for their weapons only to be waved down by the king "You are quite correct in your assumptions, Alayen is indeed to keep an eye on you, after my brothers untimely death within your ranks i find it rather difficult to trust you...However...if you are willing to swear a blood oath to me then I see no reason for Alayen to accompany you" the Sentinels shifted uneasily for to take blood oath was a serious thing and to break one would not only bring harsh punishment in this life but in the next one also. For Mark it would mean eternal damnation in the fires of Hell and for Ragnar to lose his place within the ranks of Einjar in Valhalla.
The heavy silence within the hall was broken by Mark as he stepped forward "I Mark Sunder hereby pledge my blood to King Arcturus son of Aeric" Ragnar smiled he had been right, the boy was brave and loyal he would take the oath seriously.
Using the pin on his cloak Ragnar pierced the skin of his hand before stepping forward, the shedding of blood wasn't essential but it was how he had been taught "I Ragnar Wulfrik hereby pledge my blood to King Arcturus son of Aeric" the king turned to face Ragnar "So you are the Ragnar she speaks so highly of? well i know a man of honour when I see one...Very well two oaths will suffice they will be lifted upon your return...Captain Northman you may return to your post" the armoured man bowed briefly to his king before leaving the hall amidst the angry mutterings of the Eorldarmen, thankfull that his presence wouldn't be required on the mission he had his doubts as to its success.
Returning his attention to Busana the king studied her as he contemplated his answer, discovering that the Red Rose assassins were once more active within his kingdom troubled him, also the fact that they appeared to be actively hunting the few remaining Sentinels down was of great concern to him, How could Tristan have known he would seek their help? Sighing deeply the king gently massaged his temples before looking back at the rag tag assortment of theives and holymen to which he was pinning all his hopes of ever seeing his beloved ddaughter again.
"I fear Tristan may have been somewhat more...resourceful than I originally anticipated...I did not know of their return and like yourself I had expected more Sentinels to arrive despite your long absence...but alas time is running short and we must act quickly...is there anything else you wish to ask?"
The young girl stepped forward and curtsied before in heavily accented English proceeded to speak "May I ask your daughters appearance my liege?" the king smiled as he fondly recalled his daughter "You may...Isolla is about your size and build with long golden hair in a single braid and eyes of the deepst blue" Kaella curtsied once more before returning to her place.
With all pertinent questions asked and time running ever more short Ragnar signalled the others that it was time to leave "We will bring her home my liege or die trying" Ragnar spoke bowing one last time to his king.
Walking down the hill back towards the town Ragnar addressed the others as they walked "We'll stop breifly at one of the taverns and gather any provisions we need before setting off..Are we all agreed?"

DeletedUser31931

Ben had finished training with Northman and retired to his room and word of the other's arrival did not reach him until later. When a breathless messenger stumbled into his room and delivered the message Ben told him to go get a glass of water and rest. He had done his part. Ben immediately (pausing to grab three throwing knives and his sword) ran to the hall bursting as Ragnar finished speaking. The king saw him. He sighed, "so then, the first to arrive is the last to gather. We were just having a discussion about who should go with who. Busana here does not want to go with Northman but she has to. You need to go with someone as well. May I suggest you go with Busana and Northman?"
"of course my liege. Anything that makes you happy. So you're Busana. When I wrote to your master he always spoke kindly of you, He said you were one of the best students he ever had. Which is high praise coming from him. Do not betray his faithfulness now by being stubborn to your elders. Of whom, I may include, I am one." he spoke, his voice betraying none of his concern. Why hadn't he been told earlier. What has happening? "We will meet at the training grounds tommorow morning if that is ok?" he said " oh and Ragnar you need not worry. She will be safe with me and Northman" he said noting the concern on his face

(P.S. What is going on?! The story had gotten rather odd. Does anyone care to explain to me what is happening?)

DeletedUser28032

Ragnar entered the dimly lit tavern, ducking to get through the low door a common drawback of being so tall it was another reason why he preferred the wilderness.
He watched as Kaella and Mark stood by a table carefully divided the food and waterskins amongst the groups baggage they would have to travel light if they were to catch up with Tristan and remain undetected.
"I've just spoken with our Friend Alayen Northman, it would appear Tristan went east towards the Gevaudin pass, we'll have to move quickly if we're to catch him before he reaches it" Ragnar hoped that it wouldn't prove too difficult for them to catch up, even with a three day head start a thousand men moved slowly and left a trail that a blind man could follow. Once they caught up with the army it would be a simple matter of infiltrating the camp and snatching the princess in the dead of night, simple that is if they reached them before they hit the pass.
"If theres anything you require get it now I want to be out of the city before sundown" to remain here too long would only give Tristan a further lead and the Red Rose longer to set an ambush for them.