Lotaria: Divided

Deleted User - 819397

V smiled and nodded in appreciation of Aela's abilities, then returned to polishing the bird. He was very careful not to rub, as that would dilute the magic. He worked all through the training session, and by the time they were done the gold gleamed brighter than it had when it had been a lump. Satisfied, V put away the cloth and pulled out what appeared to be a tiny straw. He carefully inserted it into the bird's beak, then muttered a few lines of the odd dialect he had used earlier. The bird began to inflate and expand of its own accord. When V considered that the bird was the right proportions for a bird, he muttered a single word, then pulled the straw out of its mouth. He then approached Aela, who was resting after the training. "Sing." he said, and the bird animated, moving around, chirping almost exactly like a bird, but in a more melodic manner. "Cease." V stated, and the bird returned to it static position. Grinning, V held the bird out to Aela. "It's all yours," he told her.

DeletedUser

Reaper smiled. "You have talent, I can see that. You have the moves, but now you have to learn how to kill," he said. He held out his hand and took the dagger back. "I'll let you use the short sword so you can get used to the weight."

He stood next to Aela and started to talk. "First, you must learn how to block. If an attack comes from below," he said. He swung the dagger downward, as if to block a attack. Then he pulled the blade upward very quickly, which in real life, would have cut through the opponets stomach, then lung, then finally the throat. "After you learn how to block, you can move into counterattacks and attacks. If you can successfully block attacks, then you can win in any fight. It's all about a defensive offensive, as I like to call it. However, if your sneaking behind an opponent, it's about stealth. Sneaking up behind or above an opponent, then going in for the quick kill. Usually that is slitting a throat or shooting an arrow through the heart or the head," he said.

He showed Aela defensive moves, including blocking upward, downward, and side attacks. He then stood in front of her. He held his dagger in hand, put his hands at his side, and bowed before her. "To show respect to both student and teacher," he said. He then stood in an attack stance. "I want you to only defend. If you see a chance to upset my balance and go for the kill, go right ahead. But this is a defensive lesson more than anything."

DeletedUser25825

Aela listened attentively to Reaper as he explained his defensive strategies and methodology on killing. She nodded as she listened and when asked to defend herself she took a step back and retained the short sword in her left hand, holding the hilt loosely at waist level with the tip pointing at Reaper.

"Ok. I think I understand most of what you explained. I'm ready when you are."

DeletedUser

"First, you must bow. It is to show respect to your opponent. We can't start till you bow," he said with a smile.

"Another lesson then. In a duel or a training session, you always bow or show respect to your opponent. The only people who don't show respect in a fight is lowlife and scum. Even I, an assassin, show respect. When caught and forced to fight, I show respect by bowing. If they charge at me during the bow, then by all means, they don't deserve a respectful death. When assassinating a target, I show respect to them by going in for a quick kill. Then, I pray for them. And if I can, I close their eyes and take a quick moment of silence for the target. After all, they are human. They deserve the same respect as anybody else would," he said.

DeletedUser25825

Aela tilted her head to the side and shrugged after a few moments. She slowly bowed and then resumed her defensive stance as she stated, "Sure seems odd to me... that you would steal the ultimate thing from a person... yet have a code of ethics about it."

DeletedUser

“We don’t have targets, Azo. Targets are for assassins, assassins are sloppy and worthless. The nobility keep them around, like trained pets, to murder each other with. No, we are not assassins, boy, we are Shadows.” Yzo sat in his chair, his feet upon his desk and spoke to his apprentice. “Assassins have targets, Azo, we have Deaders. Assassins have targets because they sometimes miss. We have Deaders because we never miss. From the moment we take the contract, the Deader is dead, he may not know it, but he is. Calling the Deader a target is assuming it’s possible to miss him. Remember that, boy, for in the castle there will be a different kind of violence, one that will make you very useful to the nobles. Now, tell me again, what is your name, boy?”

Azo gulped hard on the bile rising in his throat, it was so bitter it almost brought tears to his eyes. He felt betrayed, as though this past decade he had merely been a nuisance to his master and now he was throwing his apprentice away, like the human waste the lined the streets of The Lowers. Azo, no he was no longer Azo, he was Athos now, wasn’t afraid of the violence, no he had grown up in it, fought in it, starved in it and had believed he would die in it, he was simply afraid of abandonment. No matter how harsh Yzo had been to his apprentice, Athos considered him to be his father, a harsh, hard drinking and violent father, but a protector none the less. Athos swallowed his gorge and began to speak. “I am Athos Remidigous, son of Richard, heir to the lands of Forestry to the west.”

“Those morons in the palace won’t know the difference, that old ***** taught you well.” Yzo replied, as he dropped his feet to the ground and stood. “Azo,” he said “You will need weapons. That is why I have taken the liberty to give you a exact duplicate of my armory and the safe house to put it in. After tonight, we will be separated for many months, perhaps years, so remember all I have taught you and do not screw it up. If you mess up, the Dugku will hold me responsible and I will hold you responsible. Am I perfectly clear?”

“Yes, master.” Athos Remidigous replied, as he turned and walked to his filthy bed made of rags and laid down. His eyes were so heavy, filled with sleep and tears. Then, he silently began to weep, as night came and Yzo retired to his drinking. Tomorrow, Azo died, tomorrow, Athos Remidigous came into being, but tonight, Azo wept the tears of his pitiful existence.

DeletedUser

"It's...complicated. I'll explain it after our duel," he said. He inverted his dagger and looked at Aela. "Begin," he said.

He came in with his dagger. He kept his left arm at his side and his right upwards. His knife was pointed downwards, like a fang. He came in from above, like a snake. But at the same time, he came in with a quick jab from his left hand towards Aela's stomach. If Aela did not defend herself, she would be stabbed and punched in the stomach.

DeletedUser25825

Aela stood still as Reaper closed in, her eyes attentive and discerning. She saw the incoming simultaneous attacks threatened by Reaper. She raised her right hand, and stopped Reaper's downward thrust by the dagger at the wrist with surprising strength for such a small woman, as she stepped forward and twisted to his right to dodge the blow coming at her stomach from his left fist. She dragged his right arm backward by controlling his wrist in her strong grip as she twisted, and slashed out with her left hand at Reaper's exposed back, twisting the blade in her hand so the flat of the blade slapped, rather than sliced, across where his kidneys and spine in line with them were located. She released his wrist with a toss away from her body as she continued to spin.

She continued her twisting motion until she faced away from his back, sprung forward in a dive, tucked and rolled as she landed, and stood up out of her roll facing him about fifteen feet away with the short sword held loosely in her left hand and in front of her.

DeletedUser

Before Aela did all those fancy moves, she forgot about his other two weapons. His feet. He stomped on her right foot with his foot. Anybody would grab their foot if they got their foot stomped on. He spun around and with his other foot kicked her back, which would have sent her flying back onto her back on the ground. He smiled. "Your good kid. I'm glad I got a challenge," he said with the same smile.

DeletedUser25825

Aela stood on her left foot, watching him launching a spin kick at her. She maintained her balance on her left foot, and swung her bent right knee at his incoming kick, batting it away. She bent her left knee slightly, and twisted on her left foot, leaping upward to launch her own spin kick at him as she swung her short sword at his throat.

DeletedUser

With his dagger, he blocked the sword. With his hand, he grabbed her leg. He spun the sword around with the dagger, and twisted it away. It flew from from her hand and landed next to V. "Sorry about that," he said. He held her foot, and moved his hand up to her thigh. He spun his knife back around and held it upright again. He used his forearm to smash into her chest, hard, but light enough not to bruise her, just upset her balance. She would then have presumably fallen onto her back, with her thigh still held by Reaper's hand. He then held the side of the dagger to Aela's throat.

"You worked to much on your offense. You left yourself open. You need to remember. Defense is your best offense," he said with a smirk.

DeletedUser25825

As Reaper slid his hand up her thigh, and she lost her sword to his disarming technique, Aela reached up and grabbed his hand in both of hers. She held onto his wrist in both her hand, lifted herself up in a slight leap, and tucked into a pendulous ball with her body, using his hand as the fulcrum as she swung bodily down into his legs, crashing into them while pulling him off balance with her arm held tightly in her hands and between her thighs.

As she crashed into his knees, her weight pulled him forward and they crumpled down into a pile of limbs. She laughed and shook her head as she worked at catching her breath, "Ok... ok... I think that's enough training for now." She let go of her grip on his wrist and disentangled herself from him. She hooped to her feet and held her hand out to him, "That was enlightening... we'll have to do that again soon." She looked at V and grinned. "Not bad for a Jester eh?"

Her eyes widened as she noticed the golden bird perched in V's hand! She squealed girlishly and clapped her hands in excitement as she bounced over to him. She reached out to take it and hesitated, "Are you sure that you can give this freely to me? I have no way to repay you other than friendship I guess. Someday if I become rich and famous I'll pay you real money."

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 819397

V nodded. "All yours." he said with a smile. "This one's on me...I won't accept payment...consider it an apology for not being able to help you stop the second shadow in time...stupid blood made me slide across the room and I whacked my head on a low ceiling..."

Over the next few days a pattern was established. V would cast the 7 league spell in the morning, where it would wear off at lunchtime. He'd cast it again, and then once more, so that they stopped as the sun was setting. Every time V fell slightly behind Reaper and Aela, being in worse physical shape then them, but this didn't affect travel at all. In the evenings Aela would be tutored by Reaper in the ways of the sword, V watching with a detached interest. During the night they took turns watching out for Stalkers. Aela had insisted on taking a watch, but nothing was ever seen during the night.

On the day they expected to reach Aron, V cast the spell as usual. He was wary, knowing the last stretch was the worst Stalker area. An hour into the spell's length, he thought he saw a flash of white and turned to look. All at once, a very peculiar sensation struck his back. It was not pain, but an utter lack of feeling. He fell soundlessly to the ground, shaking slightly. My back isn't fully healed then... he thought. With their next step, Aela and Reaper vanished from view. Since he was slightly behind them as normal, he doubted they saw him fall.

Just as he could feel sensation coming back into his back, his worst fears became reality. Several Stalkers leaped out of the nearby trees. V lay perfectly still, knowing his only chance was to pretend to be dead. Stalkers were intelligent as to how to stalk their prey...nothing else. His ruse worked, and they grabbed him roughly, running back to where they had come from. V fervently hoped the four Stalkers he saw were the only ones...he might be able to fight them off or sneak away. Much to his dismay, he soon saw a group of Stalkers about 20 strong. He was thrown to the ground, then his captors ran off again, presumably to look for more food. The other Stalkers made it impossible to escape...one would notice him if he ran, and that'd be the end of him. V fervently hoped for a miracle...otherwise he'd surely come to the end of his life.

DeletedUser25825

Aela walked a few more steps before she became aware V was no longer with them. "We've got to stop", she called out. "V is not here. Did you know when he dropped away from us?" She waited until Reaper was ready and stopped walking. She looked around, though she knew he would not be any where near them. She looked at Reaper as she frowned, "Maybe we should turn back and walk the other way. I would guess that the spell's still working, as we're obviously pretty far off still."

She took a few steps in the opposite direction, trusting Reaper would follow, and found he had. Or, rather, hadn't. It was she who only took a few steps. She shook her head. "I hope he didn't drop too far... it's going to be a very far run otherwise." She began to jog in the direction they had come from, not waiting for Reaper to respond.

DeletedUser

It seemed the trio had successfully left Andren behind, with the 'Seven League' spell, which left him more than angry. Reaper had promised a meeting, and had done nothing to make it happen. With a seething mind, he made his way into the next small town, which he had turned East to find. He knew where the trio was heading anyways, and he could purchase a horse and make it to Aron in good time, if he wanted to hurry. Which he didn't.

His anger at Reaper was well-justified. Assassins held to their word, always. To not do so was against all honor an assassin could carry. Reaper should have known such a thing, and to ignore it only made it worse. Did he even know the Assassin's code? Did he even know what it was to be an Assassin? Andren scowls and shakes his head in annoyance as he slips into the small town, heading to the inn there.

He inquires about a horse, and is informed that there were a few for sale in the stables. He heads over and looks them over, selecting a long-legged gelding of good breeding, which was chestnut in color. He purchases it for several gold pieces, along with a bridle and saddle. He then goes back to the inn for the night, requesting that his meal be delivered to his room.

He spent the night, and the next morning mounted his horse and turned it towards Aron. He set it to a steady, ground-eating trot. This left him much time to think again, heading down the road to his goal.

DeletedUser

Reaper followed Aela. He thought to himself. I must talk to the assassin. Hmm...I must leave a note behind. He stayed behind Aela a little bit and pulled out a scroll. It was magic, and on it, he could think the words and write whatever he wished. He thought quickly so he could catch up with Aela,

Assassin,

Forgive me for not talking to you soon. I must keep this partnership of ours a secret. For now. I will let you reveal yourself when we get to Aron. For now, continue to Aron. Then, go to the deserted house behind the inn. Go through the window on the 2nd floor. Then, go down. Go into the basement, then through the tunnels. The door is unlocked. Wait for us there. Then you can reveal yourself and we will let Aela decide if she wants to have another assassin on board.

Reaper

The note was finished. He pulled out his crossbow. He attached the note to a bolt and put it in the crossbow. He fired the bolt into the tallest tree he could see. The bolt was very obvious if you had the eyes for it. He put his crossbow away and ran after Aela.

DeletedUser

Andren rode towards Aron at a steady, non-faltering pace, eyes constantly watching the land as it rolled by. Through the forests and along the roads, he kept away from any more populated areas, even skirting small farms and homesteads for miles to avoid notice. His horse was steady, and covered good ground.

He only traveled on the road when it was clear, and any sign of approaching parties had him off the road and in the forest quickly. He reasoned it was good to avoid eyes, especially when attached to mouths that would talk. He didn't need to have someone waiting with a knife. Probability was that he would never have a problem as such, but it was better to be safe.

Upon reaching the road at one point, he couldn't help but notice the crossbow bolt in a tall tree, with what looked like parchment attached to it. Maybe a note from that Reaper, he mused, and dismounted his horse, tying it to a low branch before leaping up the tree on agile feet. He climbed from limb to limb quickly, scurrying up the tree. When he reached the top, he pulled the bolt out and scurried back down, then read the note.

He gives a satisfactory nod and folds it, shoving it in his shirt pocket and remounting his horse. He continues back down the road, then off as he sees a dust cloud in the distance, which meant travelers; merchants guards most often than not. He takes the far route once more traveling for two days more, until the city of Aron lays spread out before him. He stands atop a small rise and waits for dusk to settle, then lopes down and enters the gates just before the evening watch is sounded, and the huge gates creak shut.

He followed the instructions on the note, leaving his horse at the inn, then going behind it to find the abandoned house. He climbs up the side to the second story, pulling himself through the window. He is on full alert, sword at the ready. He didn't sense anyone, but he wasn't one for taking chances. He situates himself in the lower room, enveloped in the shadows in the corner of the room. And there he would wait, for Reaper and the woman and the mage.

DeletedUser25825

Aela continued to run down the path and slowed as she started looking at the path. She pointed at several unfamiliar markings to her. She turned her head to look at Reaper and asked, "Do you recognize these? I'm no good with ground scratches. I..." She frowned as she lifted her head and tilted it to the side. "You hear that? " She looked around and pointed at tree canopies shaking, though there was no wind.

"I see movement there", she shifted her gesturing to another tree closer, "and there. You hear buzzing?" She frowned and drew her daggers out from within her sleeves.

DeletedUser

"Sadly, I do hear it," Reaper said. He pulled out his short sword and his knife, and prepared to fight the attackers. He heard it from behind him and he turned around quickly. More rustling in the trees. He walked backwards and stood back to back with Aela. "Ready when you are my dear," he said with a smirk on his face. He inverted his dager in his left hand and kept his short sword in a regular position in his right hand.

DeletedUser25825

Aela's eyes widened as the first of the stalkers emerged from the forest, buzzing at them. She gasped, "Wow those things are big!" The stalker moved in toward the two incredibly fast, snapping its front legs almost greedily. Aela threw her right dagger at the stalker with a practiced flick of her wrist and groaned as it bounced harmlessly off its carapace.

"Well... that's just splendid. How are were supposed to kill these things?" She ran at the stalker as a second one came out from the opposite side at Reaper. As the first stalker swiped its grabbing front legs at her, she dropped into a slide down between its legs, holding her dagger out to drag it along its more spindly looking legs. She twisted to stand up on her feet and looked at the stalker, which she still hadn't damaged.

She turned and ran as the stalker chased after her. She threw her dagger up into the tree in front of her, sinking the blade far up the trunk, as she leapt upward. She grabbed a low hanging bough, swung up onto it and began to expertly climb the tree as the stalker followed her. She continued to climb quickly, finding what she wanted as she slid her body between a sturdy bough that forked into two branches.

Just as her foot cleared the tight space the stalker jammed its head between the fork, snapping its mandibles at her. The stalker continued to try to press itself upward, but was unable as the bough held. Aela looked up, found her dagger not to much further up, and snatched it from the trunk. She looked down at the stalker and thrust the dagger downward into its multiple faceted eye. The creature screeched, as she pulled her dagger back and thrust it in its other eye.

The creature roared in pain and fury as it flailed about, while it plummeted downward to the ground. She held onto the bough watching the thing writhe about on the forest floor.