Lotaria: Divided

DeletedUser

Reaper looked as Aela took down the stalker. He smiled. Instead of fighting the other one, he turned around. He ran towards where they had once come. He grabbed Aela around the waist and threw her over his shoulder. He continued to run. "I'm sorry my lady, but I think we need to get V. He can help us, if he's still alive that is," he said. He continued to run, and saw V. The stalkers were right behind them. He put Aela down and kneeled next to V.

"Come on, ya bum. Get up!!!" he yelled in his ear.

DeletedUser

Athos Remidigous sat in the coach that was slowly jostling it's way up to the front door of the great Degrass estate. With the prince dead, the queen in mourning and the king slowly killing himself with the drink, Duke Degrass was trying his best to ease some of the wounds by hosting a party in celebration of the life the prince lead. What would the good duke think if he knew the man who was instrumental in the current state of the kingdom would be coming out at the very party he helped to cause. How ironic. Athos thought, as the carriage pulled to a stop in front of the front door to the massive estate.

Dressed in the latest fashion, Athos Remidigous stepped from the coach and onto the cobblestones of the front walk. Almost immediatly, a finely dressed man came to him, his shoes making ringing sounds against the stone of the walkway and his perfect stride causing him to appear to levitate off from the ground. The man asked Athos his name and his title, so he could be announced to the estate, as he entered and Athos told him.

As the little man walked with Athos to the front doors, Athos' mind went back to a lesson his master Yzo had taught him early in his apprenticeship. "Azo," he had said "people look far ahead of them, without looking directly in front of them. The greatest place for a shadow to hide is in plain sight. Our very purpose is to be seen, but to not be noticed. Remember this lesson, boy, for one day, your life will depend on how well or badly you can walk.". Tonight was the night Athos would see how well he could walk.

"Announcing Count Athos Remidigous of Forestry!" the herald cried, as Athos stepped into the great hall that opened up from the front doors. People barely even noticed him, but for the few that sat at the high table, those who had no intrest in the drinking and general frivolity. The king, sitting upon the highest seat in the middle of the table, Duke Degrass sat beside his leige and the queen sat, dressed in black to the right of her husband. The king was rapidly becoming drunk, anyone with an eye for the drunkenly dangerous could see. His voice was growing louder and his attitude angrier.

Athos mingled for a time, he introduced himself here, smiled and flirted with all the right ladies and shook hands with the correct men. He ate, but did not drink, he had never drank before and doing so tonight would be both out of character and dangerous for his cover. It was on his way to the great buffet table, that he bumped into a tall man with gray hair and a gentle smile. "By the god, boy you startled me!" the man said, as he recovered. Then, there was a moment of recognition in his eyes and a look of horror mixed with the need to pass along information.

"I am sorry, Duke Trelini." Athos replied, as he bowed low, having caught the look on his conversation's face. As the new noble stood, he continued "I truly hope I did not hurt you or cause offense."

"No, no, boy you didn't do anything of the sort." Duke Trelini replied, motioning for Athos to follow him down the buffet line. The duke grabbed food from the table in front of him and the plate in front of him high with all the delicasies it would hold, before he continued to a table, where three other nobles sat about, chatting, joking and laughing.

Not knowing that with these were the first steps to his destiny, Athos Remidigous followed the Duke to his seat.

Deleted User - 819397

V was heartened to see Aela and Reaper run toward him, but he now worried for their lives just as he feared for his. Still, he jumped up. "Just trying to stay alive, my good man. They thought me dead...I saw no reason to change their thinking." He left it at that, and launched into the fray.

The three of them fought long and hard. Reaper was predictably the strongest force, as he managed to take out over 7 Stalkers. V was less masterful, since the Stalkers continuously avoided his spells, but still about 4 fell to him. Aela managed to kill at least 2...maybe 3 (V lost track). Still, after a half hour of intense fighting, the Stalkers were still coming. About half of their force had been taken out. All three of them had been wounded several times, and they were all tiring. V knew it was time for an all-or-nothing attempt. He hit the ground with his staff, sending out a controlled shockwave that knocked the Stalkers of their feet. He ran over to Reaper. "No time for questions, get Aela and get a ring of fire around the two of you...don't interfere for any reason!" With that V deliberately jumped into the center of the recovering Stalkers. He sent another shockwave out, then began a long chant.

As he chanted in the language of the master mage, V knew the dangers of what he was about to attempt. He remembered the words of his master...Only use any pure elemental spells when there is no other hope. So many things can go wrong, it is almost never worth the risk. Still, they had come to this...V could think of no other solution but to unleash the Eternal Ice. The Eternal Ice was just what it sounded like...ice that could not melt. V planned to encase the Stalkers in said ice. The ring of fire V had told Reaper to make would negate the ice around them...as the only time you could melt the ice was when it was first forming.

The wind began to howl...the temperature dropped fast. Snow began to fall, slow at first, then faster. Ice began to coat every surface, but it was focused around the Stalkers, with V in the very center. V's robes were billowing behind him...although he hadn't intended it, it was very impressive-looking. Ice began to slow the Stalkers down as they stood up again. Sensing the danger, they tried to attack V, but V only chanted stronger and faster, keeping them at bay with the wind and snow. Long, spiraling shapes billowed out from around V, and as each one touched a Stalker, it became encased in ice.

As the spell continued, V noticed that the ice was starting to creep up on him as well. He tried to keep it away, but it continued to grow. He finally remembered a forgotten lesson...Any pure elemental spell requires a sacrifice in order to stay in the format you wish it to be in...if a mage does not name a sacrifice, the spell interprets it as the mage being the sacrifice. His master had told him this, and he had forgotten. He could sense realization coming from Reaper, that he knew what was going to happen. Not breaking his chant, V sent a mental shout in the general direction of him. Don't interfere...if you do you'll kill us all...I won't die...my life force will keep the ice frozen for all eternity...V continued his chant, ignoring the ice that was growing on his body. He reached the climax just as the ice encased his face.

The wind and snow both stopped, but the results of the spell were all too obvious. The ice formed a roughly spiral shape, each end of the spiral ending with a frozen Stalker. In the very center, in the largest block of ice, was V. He was unmoving, but since his body was still in it's original position, it was obvious he had not faltered in his resolve. A weak mental thought emanated from V. Go...good luck...you two...Reaper...I trust you now...heh...

(OOC: I have plans for V yet...he's not gone for good...however, please recall that the ice IS eternal...there's only one way to break the spell now...and it's beyond both Reaper and Aela.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Reaper was holding onto Aela. The fire protected both of them. He could see everything that had happened. He looked at V. "We will bring you back my friend," he whispered to himself. When the snow and wind had stopped, he had stopped the ring of fire. He stood up, holding Aela. He had injured his left leg in the battle. He hung onto Aela's shoulder for support. He looked at the mage. A block of ice, unwavering, unfaultering. He looked at Aela.

"A true hero. I am sorry he had to go this early in the journey," he said to her. He looked back at V then said,"We cannot lose now. We must get to the city. If you still wish too. I am bound to your service, and now with his sacrifice, I am bound ever more so."

DeletedUser25825

Aela looked at the frozen mage and shook her head sadly as she stated, "There stands a man more noble than most all the men that hold a title." She shook her head and looked up at the sky. "Why do bad things happen to good people?" She looked at Reaper, and then down at his leg. She stated the obvious, "You've been hurt." She looked to V as her thoughts immediately went to the bags of healing stones. "She smirked and looked back at Reaper saying, "I guess we'll have to fix you the common way."

She insisted Reaper sit as she examined the wound. "I think you're going to live as long as the rot doesn't take you." She looked around, and shook her head continuing, "I don't think it's a good idea to linger. Who knows how many more of those things are lurking about. I'll wrap your leg up, we'll hobble on, and hopefully find a town to stay at where we can more properly attend to that wound."

She searched out her sack and opened it up. She took out one of her few articles of clothing and tore it to strips. She rolled one of the strips, pressed it against the wound and bound it with several others. "There. Crude, rudimentary, but at least you shouldn't bleed out." She looked up at the sun and then pointed, "I think that's the way we were heading. We should be able to find a town. they dot the countryside fairly frequently if I'm remembering the maps I've seen."

She offered a shoulder and headed off in search of lodging. "You know... we're going to have to find some money, or something. With V's sacrifice we've lost transportation, food, and more all in one shebang."

DeletedUser

"Pickpocketing. I'm good at. Now come on, let's go," he said. Reaper was tired. It had been a long day. And he was an old man. Not old, old. But still, old enough that this stuff was tiresome to him. He clung onto Aela like a clutch. Not tight, but strong enough to support himself and to show how weak he was right now. "If we can get some gold...we can get a room for the night. I don't know if we can get enough for a single room or two rooms. We'll...figure it out as we go," he said.

Deleted User - 819397

V, in his semi-conscious state, could not see, hear, smell, or taste anything. He could feel the ice, but it felt...warm. He supposed that this was due to the fact the spell was feeding off of his body. He remembered the lesson about the pure elemental spells clearly now.

Pure elemental spells are both the most powerful and the most dangerous kind of spells there are...you are summoning the strongest form of a natural force, and that is not to be trifled with. Now, you MUST remember this fact. Every pure elemental spell requires a sacrifice. If you do not name a sacrifice, the spell infers you are to be said sacrifice. Depending on the element, the life force of the sacrifice is used as the driving force or the maintaining force. If it is the driving force, the sacrifice will die. If it is the maintaining force...there awaits a different fate. The sacrifice will stay alive forever, not awake, not asleep. They cannot move. They cannot do anything but maintain the spell. In order to keep the maintaining force alive, the spell itself will leech power and energy from the nearby land to keep it's own life alive.

V realized that he was now a maintaining force. He would not die, but he would not truly be alive either. Although he did not know it, there was a way to end the spell, but it was beyond him...and indeed, most beings. Resigning himself to a LONG wait, he turned inward and began pouring over his memories...analyzing them.

DeletedUser25825

Aela moved along as quickly as Reaper was able to, while she maintained a close eye and ear open to the surrounding area. She was somewhat relieved when she smelled burning peat on the air. It meant they were close to a hamlet, but it also meant they were peat farmers. The people who cut blocks of peat for a living were a strange bunch from breathing the peat smoke all the time, but Aela figured they didn't have much chance on the open road with an injury, and possibly more of those insects.

They topped the next rise and she pointed at the small village of farmers. "Here we go then Reaper", she commented. She scanned the buildings as they continued on, and spied what was likely a tavern. "Peat farmers. They're a strange people, but not dangerous. I have to say I'm uncomfortable with the thought of stealing from any of them, as they have to cut fragging peat to survive."

She looked around as they entered the hamlet, nodding at people who were loitering around staring at them as though they had lobsters crawling out of their ears. She nodded toward a larger building with a wooden sign with an image of grapes, cheese and ale painted upon it. She pushed the door open, and they entered. The smell of peat was very strong in the main room, most likely due to an issue with the flue. She left Reaper for a moment as she moved over to the keep, who was busy scrubbing down the counter with a greasy rag.

Aela spoke to the keep in hushed tones for a few moments. He looked at her dubiously, and then shrugged and nodded. Aela smiled, bowed slightly and returned to Reaper. She said, "The keep agreed to allow us to stay the night with meals if I entertained tonight. Small price I say. Let's go." She assisted Reaper up the stairs, and moved to their room. She pushed the door open and entered.

"Reaper", she advised, "sit on the bed and rest for a bit. I'll go see if I can get some water and supplies to properly tend to that wound before it festers." She didn't wait for a response as she turned and exited, while closing the door behind her.

DeletedUser

Reaper followed. He laid on the bed. He saw Aela rush out and smile. "Amazing..." he thought. He smilled at himself and the thought of his new companion. He took off his equipment. He put the sword and dagger and crossbow on the side of the bed. He pulled off his shirt and cloak and laid it down on the foot of the bed. He slipped out of his boots and laid down on the bed. He looked at the ceiling and closed his eyes. He started to doze off while he waited for Aela.

DeletedUser25825

Aela returned within a short amount of time. She carried a bottle of wine, bowl of liquid, and a square of linen. She sat down on the floor and began tearing strips from the linen as she hummed to herself. "What do you think happened to V? Do you think he knew that he was going to sacrifice himself with that spell?" She bit onto the linen and tore another strip as she lifted her eyes toward Reaper.

She shrugged and began rolling the strips into bandages. "I liked him. Good in a fight, great friend, and overall traveled well." She hopped up to her feet, picked up her items and moved over to Reaper. "Ok... let's get to this. " She folded two strips of the linen she'd left unfolded into to squares. She set them aside and unwrapped her previous bandage.

She looked at the gaping wound on Reaper's leg, probing it gently around the edges. "It's not red, so I don't think you've gotten the rot yet. She dunked one of her squares cloths in the bowl and began wiping at the wound. "Sorry if this doesn't feel the greatest, but you've gotten muck in their from the fight." She watched the wound as she continued to dip her cloth in the bowl, wring it out and then clean the wound. Once done, she bit the cork in the wine bottle, tugged it out with her teeth and upended it over the wound, pouring a generous amount of the wine over the wound.

She took a swig from the bottle and offered it to Reaper. She dug into a pocket and pulled out a small container. She opened it and dug a white paste out on two fingertips before smearing it across the other square cloth she'd made. The salve emitted an invisible vapor that smelled medicine-like and drew tears to her eyes, much like an onion's vapor would. She smeared the paste evenly over the cloth and set it on Reaper's wound. She then began winding the bandages around the cloth to keep it in place. She tied a tight knot over the cloth and brushed her hands as she said, "Ok then. I think we're set."

She tucked the container back into her pocket and picked up the sack she'd been carrying. "I'll be back in a bit. Stay off the leg yeah?" She exited, and returned shortly thereafter dressed in a surprisingly revealing outfit. It was a motley colored peasant's dress with a matching corset and no bodice, which left her shoulders bare and revealed more than it concealed. She blushed as she observed Reaper take her appearance in. "Well, I guess I chose right guessing by your reaction." She giggled and sat on the floor. "I figure I can sing for supper and lodging, but might pick up some tips to carry us a bit further as well." She shrugged.

DeletedUser

"I will miss V. And no, I don't think the sacrifice was on purpose. He would have figured out something else out before resorting to one of those eternal spells," he said. He shut up after that, grinding his teeth from the pain. The woud was not that bad, but deep. At least a good inch in. But he held on and kept tough. He daydreamed as she cleaned and addressed the wound. He thought of the first time he was hurt. The first time blood was drawn in a fight.

Running. Panting. The guards were right behind him, chasing him. He slid down the street, running quickly into an alleyway. He jumped and grabbed a flagpole hanging from one of the walls to his right. He climbed up it and jumped onto the roof of the building it was connected too. He had reached the top of the roof and stood, but when he did, he felt a shot of pain come from the back of his right ribcage. He put his right hand there, and felt the arrow protruding from his back. He pulled it out qucikly, and snapped it. He ran across the roof, the injury bleeding from his side heavily. By the time he had reached the safe house, he was being carried in by his fellow thieves. He would wake up the next morning, gauze covering his side, and his first love and fellow thief watching over him by his bedside...

When Reaper started to pay attention to his surrounding, it was when Aela was undressing into her jester costume. Looking at her and her figure, he was shocked. He turned red from embarrassment as she spoke up about his reaction. "I uhh...you look pretty," he said very quickly. He looked away and then back at her as she spoke again, and quickly regained his composure.

"Whatever you prefer my lady. I will rest here and wait for you to return. If I hear something, I will come down. This is a tavern full of drunks. Dressed like that, I wouldn't be surprised if some drunk tried to reach out for you," he said plainly. He looked at Aela with compassionate eyes. After all, he had to protect Aela. Not due to just his oath, but because of V. Because V had given his life to save theirs, and espically hers he thought. So he would protect her, not just for his sake, but for V's sake also.

DeletedUser25825

Aela smiled and nodded her thanks to Reaper, and then headed out the door. She climbed down the stairs, ignoring the hoots and hollars from the patronage. She moved to a place in the main room, where everybody could see her and went about her entertaining business. Hours later she entered the room quietly, shut the door, and flopped down on the floor. She yawned, stretched, and rolled onto her side to sleep.

The next morning, she changed back into clothing more suitable for travel. She insisted on checking Reaper's wound, nodded as it didn't appear to be going foul, and re-wrapped it. She informed Reaper that she had made a few coins in tips while singing, but was ready to leave the hamlet and get back on the road. Of course, only if Reaper was able to travel.

DeletedUser

"Of course I'm ready my dear," he said with a smile. He got up from the bed and stood in front of Aela. "I feel fine," he said with a smile. Of course, a smile couldn't hide the scars on his face. Nor the scars on his chest and arms.

"I've been hurt before Aela. Another scar won't hinder me anymore than a sword did when it almost gutted my stomach, nor did a mage stop me when he almost burned me to death. Luckily, all he got was my right shoulder here. That took split second timing to miss that fireball. And I'm lucky it didn't take my arm off!" he said with a chuckle. He put a hand on Aela's shoulder. He smiled again, this time, to show his gratitude in taking care of him.

"Come, let us go." He grabbed his clothing, got ready, and re-equipped his weapons. As he sat down on the bed to put on the blackened steel plates for his shoulders, shins, and arms, he spoke up. "What do you wish to do from here now Aela?"

DeletedUser25825

"My intentions remain the same", she responded before continuing, "our path still leads to Aron." She picked up her clothing and stuffed it into her travel sack. She opened the door and curtsied flamboyantly saying, "My lord, lead the way. Oh! And let's grab breakfast for the road." She followed behind him. She paid the keeper for the lodging, and bought two loaves of bread and some cheese.

She tore one of the loaves into halves, handed one half to Reaper, and stuffed the cheese and other loaf into her travel sack. She walked through the morning fog and peat smoke, green eyes alight with adventure, and an underlying alertness more befitting an alert guard expecting trouble, rather than a simple girl, as they constantly moved in a scanning pattern of the quiet cottages. She grinned at Reaper and commented quietly, "At least we'll get out of this stink. Did I tell you how much I dislike the smell of burning peat?"

The two walked out of the hamlet and on toward Aron. About mid-morning, she dug her golden bird out from within her tunic. She set it on her palm and smiled before asking it to sing. She grinned at Reaper as the bird began to merrily chirp for her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 819397

The snow had stopped where V was encased in ice, but it had not melted...the air was frigid. It did not bother the sole being looking at V, smirking slightly. How...perfect...it was that the mage should take himself out of the hunt for him...and instead of keeping his companions safe, he had ensured their downfall! The figure laughed softly, then pulled out a cursed knife. The ice couldn't be melted...but it could be cut, and this knife had one purpose; to cut through enchantments. The being began to cut, slowly, ever so slowly...

A few hours later V's body was freed from the ice. His body was beginning to bring itself about, but the figure who had cut him out had other plans...he could not truly posses the young mage, as he did have his own body...but he had other means of controlling V. He laughed as he bonded V to himself...the foolish girl had thought to track him down and kill him? He, who was the strongest shadow in millennia? He would kill her for her foolishness...after he offered her an impossible choice...

V felt his body begin to come round. He groaned...how had the ice melted? It should have been impossible...he grunted as a powerful force struck him in 5 places at once...his arms, legs, and the back of his head. To his horror, he could not move, cry out, or do anything he wished to do. He felt a malevolent mind crash into his own, forcing his consciousness to the very edges of his mind. Gods above...it's the Shadow we were hunting...he thought. He felt himself rise, saw his arms and legs move experimentally. I've become a puppet...a human puppet...that's magic so dark I thought it was lost. V realized. He could do nothing but watch through his senses as the Shadow became more masterful at controlling his body, until no one would be able to tell the difference. The ice would melt now...deprived of its sacrifice, but it would still take a while.

The Shadow began moving V towards the town he knew the girl had stayed in, unaware that they had already left. He therefore didn't notice that one thing had changed in V's appearance since he had possessed him...his eyes had come back, but instead of green, they were red...the mark of the possessed.

DeletedUser

Reaper walked down the road. He walked next to Aela. He grabbed the loaf she gave to him and ate a little chunk of it. He saved some, and put it in a pouch on his belt. He looked at Aela and smiled at her joke about the peat. He keeped walking silently till she pulled out the bird.

"A nice sound to hear. Like your voice," he said with a chuckle. "While you were paying attentin to making us some coin, I came down the stairs to listen to you sing a little. You have a great talent with that voice. Like a bard. The beautiful assassin, who would enchant you with her voice and body, bed you, then kill you as you slept. I met one a long time ago. She did that to me. Almost worked too," he said with a laugh. "I was a fool then. Falling for girls like that. I learned from that mistake though."

DeletedUser25825

Aela grinned as she listened to the bird, and Reaper's tale. She blushed as he commended her singing, feeling she was only passable at best. She said, "I doubt I have a murderer's drive, but I'll keep it in mind if I've ever hard up for the need to kill somebody." She laughed musically and popped Reaper's shoulder with a playful punch. She returned her attention to the path as she stuffed the bird back into her tunic. "Have you ever been to this part of the world then?" she asked. "I was born in The Lowers, and bought fairly early in life. It's odd to want to return."

DeletedUser

"Yes. It's been a long time. I was born here. I was a street urchin. I lived on the coin I could make for the day. And I did alot of things to make money. Mugging, pickpocketing, it was a hard life. But I toughened up and survived. Then when the time came, I became an assassin. That part of the story is for another time however, as it is dreadfully long and I'm sure would be dreadfully boring to you," he said with a smile and a chuckle.

He continued to walk next to Aela, looking at her every now and again. She made him have purpose again. Gave him hope and made him smile. He owed this girl alot more than just his service. He smiled and said,"But you've heard the tales of me my lady. That part of my life is over. I am simply a man, who killed a couple hundred people, not including their guards, families, or pets, and became somewhat of a legend. A household name thats used to scare little children into behaving. And now, I am yours. That is all." He smiled another time at her and chuckled a little on the inside.

DeletedUser25825

They continued on their course for the remainder of the day, once agian entering the wilder area of in-between towns and hamlets. As before, she lost her carefree manner as they walked the more uncertain pathway. As her eyes roved constantly, pausing on areas Reaper would have chosen for ambushes were he to do so, before moving on to different areas she asked, "Why did you decide to leave the old ways then? I mean, I guess I could understand when something becomes boring or overrated, but to just up and quit? Different."

DeletedUser

"It was boring. And I killed a target that made me change my thinking," he said to her. "I did not know who the target was. I was left much in the dark after that. But they hired me for that job for one reason. I was the only one who could kill her. I killed...my wife." He kept silent for his second. He stopped, and Aela stopped with him. He started to walk again and began to speak again.

"It was a dark night. Raining. I was on the rooftops. I was chasing her. The target. I had not pulled out my crossbow. I wanted to have some fun. She jumped over an alley and I did the same. She almost slipped and began to fall back when she had jumped over. I jumped on top of her and pulled out my knife. She turned over and before I could stop myself, I had put the blade through her throat. She was gushing blood. She looked at me, her eyes tearing up and turning red. I pulled out the blade. What had I done I thought to myself. I grabbed her. I was telling her how sorry I was. She told me it would be ok. She said I would see her in Valhalla. Heaven. She kissed me one last time. Told me...told me..." Reaper stopped again. His eyes teared up, but he did not cry. He kept his composure.

"She told me that she knew that I would not do this on purpose. That I should get back at the masters anyway I could. I promised her I would. And now, here I am."