Lotaria: Divided

DeletedUser

Andren easily dodges the kick, standing and grinning at his assailant. "Reaper eh? Nice name..." He flips a blade and waves his hand. "My business is no business of yours, but I will humor you. I am searching for work, or maybe just a purpose for my life. I couldn't help but overhear of your journey to Aron. Could you perhaps be in need of another? Though I suppose that question would be better directed to the small woman... yes?"

He rocks on his heels again as he awaits an answer, his green eyes watching the fireball closely. Mages were unpredictable in his experience, and a swordsman mage was even worse. He knew not to trust anyone. That was something that had been ingrained in his mind. Trust only led to pain and dissapointment, and people stabbing you in the back.

DeletedUser

"If you were looking for work, you'd have come to me. Not her. She makes the plans. But you...hiding in the shadows. Watching. That's Shadow territory. Or assassin territory. Either way, it's something I know. Now, whos your employer? Tell me. Or I start throwing fireballs," Reaper said.

His sword started to swirl with fire next. Reaper smirked under his mask, but you couldn't see that.

"So, what ya gonna do?"

Deleted User - 819397

V dodged the question about Reaper and went straight to the magical music maker idea. He had no wish to voice his intense dislike of the man who was to accompany them. "If you give me about an hour...I believe I could do all the necessary forge-work that must be done at my forge...then I could do the rest during our travels...is that acceptable to you? I'd be happy to do it for you, but I have to start the work before we leave if I am to be able to make it."

DeletedUser

"My employer? I have had many... which would you like to know about?" He grins ferally and tilts his head. "Are you offering me a job? If so, I accept. I have been trained by The Scorpion. I know all there is to know about death. If it is revenge you seek, then I offer you my skills."

His blade flicks through his hand again. "Now... you can put away that ball of fire... it would make me feel much better." He grins again and tilts his head. "So what do you think? Need me? Or must I pass some sort of... test... to be accepted?"

DeletedUser

"A test would be nice. Hmm...for now, follow us. But stay hidden. But if you so much make a move at Aela, I will slit your throat, then burn you alive," he said coldly. He sheathed his blade, and the ball of fire disapeared.

"I'm putting you under blood oath. Put out your palm," Reaper said. He pulled out his knife and reached out with his left hand to grab the man's hand. To Reaper and the Shadows, the blood oath was also a strong form of service. It was also a tactic. Shadows had a knack for poisons. Reaper was one of them. In each of his blood oath, Reaper poisoned the dagger. But instead of a quick killing poison, it was a magic poison. One that would paralyze the target only if activated by a magic spell used by Reaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

"Fair enough." He said softly. And easy enough , Andren thought to himself with a slight smirk. "I swear it. She will not come to harm." He knew all about honor and oaths. It was an integral part of being an assassin. He holds out his hand for the man, not even flinching as he cuts a neat slice in his palm.

DeletedUser

Reaper smirked. "Smart enough to not let me do it for him. Might let this kid live if he doesn't try and mess with us," he thought.

He sheathed his dagger. "Go. Come and talk to me when the others fall asleep. Other than that, stay in the shadows. If need be, fight with us. But not actually ya know, fight. Fight from the shadows. But you are also under my protection. Remember that. I am Reaper, and that name comes with a burden. You say that to anybody that's a Shadow, they will kill you. This will be our secret between us two. As assassins," he said with a smirk. He pulled off his hood and mask. He jumped back down to the street level and motioned to his new assassin. "Go. When we set up camp, I will meet with you to talk," he said quietly enough for him and his friend to hear, but not enough for anybody else to hear.

Reaper walked down the street, his hands behind his back. He went to go meet up with V and Aela.

DeletedUser

Andren nods agreeably from the shadows. "As assassins." He binds his hand tightly as Reaper leaves the roof, then waits for him to get a ways away before pulling up his mask and hood and hopping down from the roof, padding after them silently. His mind was racing as he crept from shadow to shadow, dodging patrols and street lamps with ease. He remained far enough behind to not be felt, but close enough to be of assistance if any trouble was to befall the trio. What have I gotten myself into now... , he ponders with a wry smirk.

DeletedUser25825

Aela listened to V actually agreeing to make the object. She frowned throughtfully and then shrugged. "It doesn't make sense to me, as it's really just a foible. But, it IS true we could be dead this time tomorrow. If you are ok with it, then yes. I accept!" She hugged herself, stood up on her toe and spun in a pirouette, much like she had before this whole business started.

She smiled at V for a moment before it slowly faded. At first it could have been mistook for something she saw suddenly about V, but her eyes were no longer watching him but past his shoulder. Her smile returned and she called out, "Hey Reaper. We going to live?" She turned back to V and shrugged slightly. "I'm sorry I actually don't know where you operate, so lead the way and we'll follow.

Deleted User - 819397

V nodded. He gestured for them to follow, then went to his house. He went out back to the forge and started the fires up. Unlike a normal blacksmith's forge, no bellows were needed since the fire was magically powered. Likely to Aela's and Reaper's surprise, he didn't put gloves on. Gloves were something a blacksmith used, but for a magesmith, anything in between the smith and the work lessened the results. He went into his storeroom and came out with a small ball of gold. He placed it on the forge and began to mutter under his breath.

He pulled a stone out of the pouch he had indicated held most of his forging tools and began to pass it over the gold ball. His chanting was incessant as he worked, and his eyes were alight with joy; it was obvious he loved to make anything. Each time the stone passed over the ball, while never touching it, the ball of gold flattened out and became duller. Eventually, the gold resembled a pancake and was as dull as an unpolished stone.

Apparently satisfied, V put the stone away and pulled out a staff. Unlike his normal one, this one was headed in bronze; the traditional metal for magesmith work. He began to tap the gold in various places, muttering even faster than before. This time no visible change happened in the gold occurred, but V did not seem deterred. He pulled out a second tool without halting in his muttering and tapping. This one was shaped like a hook. He began to cut away some sections of gold. Invariably, when the strips were cut away, they burst into flame and seemed to add themselves to the forge's fire.

V's voice began to rise, becoming audible for the first time. He was not speaking in any language that would be recognized by anyone but another magesmith. Not even a normal mage knew this language, as the magesmiths considered it their greatest secret. In a climax of his chant, he stabbed the center of the shape made of gold with the staff and sliced several times with the hook in rapid succession. The fires swelled, enough to blind anyone who was watching. When the flames had died away back to what they were, V was back working with the stone, but this time the stone was placed in the center. As Aela and Reaper watched, the stone seemed to glow and grow. With a sudden spurt of extra quick words in the chant, the stone became a beacon of light that evaporated and sank into the gold. V chanted for about thirty seconds longer, then stopped suddenly. The fires immediately went out.

In the absence of the roar of the flames and V's voice, the world seemed silent for a moment. V waited for 5 minutes, not moving, watching the piece, then picked the gold up. It was in the vague shape of a bird. V smiled, then grabbed a pouch off the rack next to him. Although the pouch seemed far too small to accommodate the gold, it seemed to have a spell on it, like the three V had shown them earlier, because the piece slipped in without a problem. V then turned to Aela, grinning both from the fact that he had vastly enjoyed plying his craft, as he always did, and that both Aela and Reaper had stunned looks on their faces. "That's all I have to do here at my forge...the rest I can do on the road. Should we go?"

DeletedUser25825

Aela remained still and speechless for some time. She nodded slowly and smiled slightly. "You know V, my friend. I still have no idea why you intend on following a fool's errand. Look at what you can do!" She brushed her hands gently over the exterior of the forge. She shook her head and looked at the two staring at her and blushed to her roots as she muttered, "Um... yes. Let's go." She looked at the forge once more and then headed towards the exit. She paused, and looked out into the street. Light was beginning to dawn toward the east horizon. She waited for the others to join her and then began walking along the cobblestones.

She walked silently as she watched the city slowly come to life. They reached the gates just as they were being pulled open for the day's business. She was going to proceed through when a young girl's voice called her name. She blinked and looked around. Her face broke into a wide smile as she saw a young girl no more than ten dressed in the foppish manner of a court courier, and the blue and green identified her as serving House Mayer.

Aela looked at the two and tossed her sack toward V. She called out, "Hello Fern my friend!" She sprung forward onto her hands and moved over in the small girl's direction. Once next to her she balanced on one hand, twisted in a tight circle, and dropped one leg down in the splits, bending her body until she touched a toe onto the cobblestones. She pushed away from the cobblestones and stood normally. She smiled as the small girl clapped her hands excitedly. She leaned forward and embraced the small girl in a tight hug. She spoke to her for a few moments, causing the girl's color to change as she covered her mouth and gasped. Fern looked at Aela with a look of resolve on her face and nodded. Aela smiled, hugged her again and shooed her off.

She rejoined the two and took her sack back. "Ok, let's get out of this place before we never get out of here." She passed through the gates and looked at the rolling hills of the serfdom surrounding the city. She frowned and moved closer to the two traveling with her as she shook her head. "I can't believe we're doing this." So saying, she headed off toward the south.

Deleted User - 819397

V stepped up to Aela as they left the city. "When this is all said and done, we can always return...this does not have to be the last time you see Halien..." leaving it at that, he fell back slightly. He looked to Reaper and shrugged. V couldn't read what Aela was thinking, and any attempt to try to help her through the pain might backfire. Instead, he contented himself with looking around at the vibrant life all around them. THis was why he had volunteered...to see the world.

At length V spoke again. "I should probably teach you guys how to use healing stones in case I'm unable to use them myself for whatever reason." he rummaged in his pouch and pulled out two stones. One had a simple design on one side, the other had a very intricate design. "The more complicated the design, the more it can do. The one I have that isn't as complicated is good for minor cuts and scrapes, whereas the other one I'm holding is for major wounds." He put them away. "Now, using them is simplicity itself. All you have to do is touch the side of the stone with the design onto the person who is injured...you don't have to place it on the wound...and say heal. Then don't remove the stone until it stops glowing, no matter what happens to the person...if the wound is severe enough...the person can react in odd ways while their body is healing...it is VITAL that the stone does not leave the person's body until it's work is done no matter what. That's about it. Also, these all work fine...I specialize in healing stones...it's what got me such a nice forge so fast..." he smiled modestly.

DeletedUser25825

"So", Aela asked, "do these stones steal the user's life to heal the other person? I always was made to believe magic was wielded by people that were trained as were it their trade. What's to stop any person from gathering up a magical implement and becoming a mage?" She frowned thoughtfully as she continued to walk. She looked up at the sky and switched the sack from one shoulder to the other.

The continued on through the serfdom and entered a more wild area of the kingdom. Aela definitely appeared to be out of her element and stuck close to either V or Reaper, whichever one happened to be closest at the time. She was thinking of asking about lunch, when a tremendous, and terrifying roar erupted from the forest. Aela looked in the direction it had come from, and then at V and Reaper. The roar sounded again, and she drew her daggers from within her sleeves while saying, "Um, either of you know what makes that kind of sound?"

Deleted User - 819397

When Aela had asked the question about the stones, V shook his head. "Healing stones are one of the few exceptions to the general rule of magic, which is the fact that you must be trained in the arcane arts to use it. Healing stones get their power when they are forged, rather than the power coming from the person who casted it or the words that are spoken at the moment of casting. This makes them easy to use for anyone...of course, we don't tell people this very often, since it would make people reckless and they might try for something that you DO need to be trained for...that would cause disaster."

When the roar came, V jumped and quickly pulled out his staff, making the length of wood shoot out so that he could use it. He raised the staff and the silver side of the ball glowed. A round nexus of light surrounded himself, and two others enveloped Aela and Reaper. "No...I don't know what that is...but whatever it is, it's angry...I put a Shield around you all, so that most attacks won't hurt you." He looked around the area and saw nothing helpful about the terrain except a large rock behind them. He sighed and prepared for battle. The beast roared again, this time sounding slightly familiar. He placed the sound and the color drained from his face. "Gods above...it's a Vraal." Before he could explain what a Vraal was, it jumped out at them.

The Vraal would have been a ten foot tall lizard if not for a few things. One, it was on two legs. Two, it's feet were hooves. Three, it had deadly claws on it's hands and spikes on it's back. Four, it's teeth showed it was quite carnivorous. It licked it's awful lips and looked at what would be its next meal with evil anticipation, it's yellow eyes glowing with malice. With a third roar, it leapt at them.

It first targeted Aela, who it deemed to be the weakest of the three. Every time it tried to slash at her though, it was stopped by V's shields. Each time a claw connected with the shield, V winced, and it soon became apparent the shield's power came from V. The Vraal was intelligent, and it soon realized this. It ignored Reaper, who was futilely spending time trying to pierce the armor around it's legs, and didn't seem to feel the jets of magic V was sending at it. It changed tactics, and lunged at V.

V was suddenly too busy to do anything but dodge...his energy was running too low to make him feel confident about his Shield anymore. He saw Aela and Reaper trying to get to him to help, but the Vraal was keeping them back with it's deadly tail. The Vraal finally tired of slashing randomly, and it stabbed all 6 of it's claws at V while sending its tail around to slam into him as well. With a bang like a cannon shot, V's Shield exploded and he was hurled backward. He only stopped when he slammed into the large rock...HARD. There was an audible crack, and V screamed in agony. He fell to the ground like a limp doll, his back bent at an impossible angle. He could feel himself going into shock. "My legs..." he moaned. "I can't...feel...my legs..." with that, he fell gratefully into unconsciousness.

Roaring in triumph, the Vraal, turned back to it's other two foes. It would feast soon enough...things were to be much simpler now that the mage was out of commission.

DeletedUser25825

Aela hunched down slightly as the Vraal turned to face her and Reaper. It first lunged toward Aela, its original target. She arched herself backwards, onto her hands as it thrust at her chest, and kicked her legs up, striking its hand away from her as she swung her legs over, planted her feet and swung herself upright. The Vraal swiped its arm at her again, and she arched her body to the right, dodging the swing. "Come on Reaper! Do your thing!!!!" She screamed as the Vraal twisted, swinging its tail at her. She leapt upward, placing her hand on the things tail, and pushed upward allowing the momentum of it's swing to give her the speed needed to flip sideways and land.

She threw her sack at the Vraal and sank into a splits, hugging her chest to the ground as the tail whistled past her head again. She rolled backward, sprung off her hands and landed on her feet again, noting the Vraal was no longer interested in her, and began to focus on Reaper.

She hurried over to the unconscious form of V and looked at the Vraal and Reaper. She began digging through V's pockets, to find the stones he'd been talking of earlier. She shook bags, until the two stones he'd talked about tumbled out. She looked at them both and picked up the more intricate of the two designs. She pulled V's tunic aside slightly and pressed the stone on the bare skin of his shoulder and commanded, "Heal!"

DeletedUser

Reaper stared at the Vraal. He sheathed his sword, and pointed both is palms at the creature. "Time to show you a thing or two about pure magic," he said. Fire started to swirl around Reaper.

The Vrall quickly knew what was happening, it started to retreat, but it was too late. Fire surrounded Reaper as he began to scream, like he was in pain. Fire shot from his palms at the creature, and fire soon engulfed it too. At first the creature was fine, but as it burned through it's thick hide, the creature quickly was creaming in agony. It fell to the ground, as it tried to reach towards Aela.

"NOOOOOO!!!!!" he yelled. The fire around Reaper pushed away from him and again another waves of flame engulfed the creature. The creature fell back in pain, dieing from the extreme amount of fire poured onto it. The fire stopped. Reaper fell to the ground. He fell on his knees and his hands, and looked up. The creature was still on fire, but was now dead. Reaper smirked. "Next time, focus more on offense," he said as he collapsed due to his loss of fatigue.

DeletedUser

Andren had waited patiently atop the roof of a building near the mage's forge, idly biding his time while they talked and prepared. He checks his own supplies as he waits, realizing that perhaps he could use a few more things. He looks to the forge, then argues with himself in his head. He didn't want to miss their departure, but he needed some stuff, most notably food. He had enough gold to last him a lifetime, but was short on edibles. He had no idea how far they had to go to reach Aron.

He looks again at the door to the forge. They seemed to still be busy, so he leaps down and pulls off his mask and hood, quickly blending with the emerging townspeople as the sun rose. He stops by a few vendors, who had just begun hawking their wares. Purchasing some loaves of bread and a few pieces of fruit, he then stops by a small weapons shop, perusing the many blades before purchasing one, etched with foxes that danced about the hilt, ruby eyes gleaming. He then stops at a meat vendor, purchasing some dried rabbit and pork, packing them away in his small pouch.

He checks the position of the sun, which was now nearing the top of the long walls, and easily strolls through the stream of people, heading for the gates. It was about time that the trio would be heading out, and he had his duty to uphold. He reaches sight of the gates in time to see the small woman hugging a girl, who then scampers off with a serious expression on her face. Andren lifts an eyebrow and watches her path through the throng, then turns his attention back to the trio, who were now stepping from the gates.

He wanders after them, still attempting to blend with the people, which was hard, if anyone was actually paying attention. His cloak covered his clothes, which were far too fancy for the normal people, and his boots looked too clean. His features, now unobscured by the mask, were quite handsome, with a strong angular jawline and dark eyes that watched everything. His hair was dark and slightly long, held from his face by a thin silver band. About his neck, he wore a medallion, bearing a large ruby, surrounded by foxes and a scorpion.

Once out of the gates, Andren follows a small group of merchant's guards who were just leaving, then trails behind them quite a ways as they leave the serfdom and wander into the forest. He kept out of sight, but close enough to keep eyes on them. He thought as he walked. He had been doing a lot of that lately it seemed. He thought on the past, and on the future. Of what his life was to be like now, in the employ of this man, Reaper.

His thoughts were cut off at the roar, causing him to run closer, still silent, even on the forest floor. His sword is drawn without thought, but he pulls up as he gets close. Reaper had instructed him to fight from the shadows, and as much as he wanted to run in and protect the woman, who he now knew as Aela, he had his oath to uphold. So he waits, keeping himself hidden in the shadows of the trees, watching and waiting for whatever creature he must kill.

The Vraal leaped into view, and Andren gives a wry snort. "One of those again..", he mutters to himself, drawing out several small daggers, tipped with poison. He had just experienced a recent run-in with one of these creatures, on his way from Halien. Nasty creatures, with a lust for blood and flesh. He sighs and creeps closer, watching the ensuing battle for an opening.

The creature suddenly breaks through the mage's shield, sending him flying. The mage lads in a crumpled heap, and Andren's heart skips a few beats as the Vraal focuses on Aela. She dodges it gracefully, he notes with admiration, before Reaper finally get's it's attention and she scurries back to help the mage. Andren breathes again and takes his opening, while she is distracted with healing the wounded man. Reaper has started throwing fire, but Andren was all for the direct approach.

He darts in, pulling his shortbow out and sending a poison-tipped arrow through it's right eye, then pulls out his blades, which fly from his hands, seeking weak spots under the large lizard's scales. It swings at him with it's large talons, and he dodges, but not fast enough, receiving a wicked gash on his side, which he ignores. His sword slashes a hind leg, bringing it down to it's knees, and he jumps easily to it's back, clinging to it's spikes as he makes his way to it's head. He pulls out his shortsword as he reaches the top of the creature, then drives the blade down between it's eyes, just before it is engulfed in fire. It falls with a screeching, defiant roar, and Andren leaps quickly from it's head to land lightly on the forest floor once again. The creature kicks and thrashes, the poisons already wreaking it's body with convulsions, but Andren leaves it to be finished off by Reaper's fire.

His dark eyes seek out Aela first, sliding over her as she tends to the mage's wounds, oblivious to him. He then nods silently to Reaper before retrieving his many blades from the corpse and slipping once more into the shadows of the forest. He had fulfilled his purpose there, and had managed to not be seen by Aela or the mage. It had all been executed swiftly and precisely, without error. Hopefully Reaper would be pleased, despite the fact that he could have been seen. There would have been no other way. Flinging daggers from a distance didn't get the job done. But he was pleased with his own work, except for the gash that burned his side.

He retreats to a far tree, out of sight and hearing of the others, sitting against it's trunk. He doffs his cloak and pulls his tunic off, bearing his chest. If one were actually there, they could see the many scars that crisscrossed his back, testament to the beatings inflicted on him when he had managed to be caught once. He binds his side tightly with some long strips of cloth he procures from his bag, tying it off and re-donning his tunic and pulling his cloak back on. The wound burned, but he would have to wait until they reached the next village or city to get it properly tended. For now, he cleans and sharpens his blades, then re-sheathes them before picking himself up and padding back towards the trio, ready to follow them further.

DeletedUser

Reaper was slipping in out of consciousness. Son of a...he could've been seen! An assassin? No. A fool, he thought. He tried to stand up, but failed.

When I get my hand's on him, I sware...

Reaper was fatigued, yes. But he was able to stand. He got up, walking very slowly, like a limp, to Aela's side. "He ok?" he asked.

Deleted User - 819397

The stone began to glow the minute Aela said the word heal. The light became more and more intense, but it was a soft light, a calm light. Suddenly, V's body jerked. His limbs twitched spastically and his head jerked about inanely. His back contorted, uncontrolled. Every so often there'd be a loud CRACK as a vertebrae mended and snapped back into place. When the last one fixed itself, V's eyes flew open. His eyes...his irises were no longer invisible, but a bright, piercing green. His eyes rolled around unseeingly as his limbs continued to jerk. Finally he stilled, the healing done. The stone's glow went out and the stone itself crumbled to dust. V's eyes were still open, and the irises slowly lost their color again until they were back to normal. V then blinked, stirred..."What...what happened?" he muttered. His eyes flicked over to Aela and Reaper, both looking at him in concern. He started to get up, but his limbs failed him as he tried to move. "ah...that's odd...healing shouldn't leave me weak..." realization came to him. "My eyes..." he said softly, then repeated more urgently. "My eyes! Did something happen to them while I was being healed?...and what about the Vraal?"

DeletedUser

“Do you realize what you’re asking me to do, Yzo?” Loth sat in a high backed chair behind a huge desk heaped high with paperwork. Loth was a small man, even smaller then Azo, who was only five feet eleven inches tall, with shifty eyes and a white smile that failed to touch his dark brown eyes. Loth’s paperwork wasn’t publishable, even leaking one of the numerous documents on his desk would cause a huge scandal. The man sitting behind the desk was the man you went to see when you needed to cover something up, everything from abortions for courtesans to making you disappear entirely, Loth was the man to see. So, to put Azo among the court’s nobility, Loth was the one The Dugku had spoken with. “You are asking me to put a commoner inside Castle Atore, even if he could camouflage with the nobility. You’re asking me to create a totally fictional noble that will be able to walk right into court, that’s too much to ask of me.”

Yzo grimaced and let his hand fall to the hilt of his Hand-and-a-half-sword, Justice “You’ve done it before, Loth, I was there. Now do your job, before I take my business elsewhere.”

An expression of abject horror spread across Loth’s face, as his eyes trailed down to the implied threat of the hand holding onto Justice. “You don’t understand, when I slipped Duke Terini into the nobility, the kingdom was just righting itself, it was simple to create someone out of thin air. What you are asking here is for me to turn a boy into a noble, with merely a piece of paper and some phony stories about chasing rabbits as a boy? It can’t be done.”

“What about the western regions? They are primarily uncivilized, we could say Azo came from Forestry, throw in some class and some fake stories and, with everyone’s minds worried about the war in Aron and Halien’s strength, he will be able to move among the courtiers with little or no difficulty.” Yzo replied, as he sat the hand that was resting on the pommel of his blade upon the desk in front of him. “Let’s just skip the haggling, how much, Loth?”

“One hundred golds, Yzo, and not a copper less. Do you realize how much scheming and bribing I will have to do too get your apprentice amongst the nobility? I might as well walk on water, if he actually lives through his stay in the court.” Loth answered, as he stood and crossed to a bookshelf.

“One hundred golds is outrageous!” Yzo objected, slamming a fist onto the paperwork crowded desk “Hell, I could buy all of The Lowers for that kind of money!”

“But, you could not slip a boy of common birth into the court for any less, more than three quarters of it will go to bribing nobles to keep their mouths shut. The other part will go towards putting the mark of nobility on the boy. I will have less than a single gold for my troubles!” Loth replied, as he took a book from the shelf and went back to his desk, opening the book, Loth looked through it “Your boy’s name from this day forth shall be Athos Remidigous. Now give me my gold or you will not get your noble.”

“May all the gods curse your name and send you to your just reward.” Yzo replied, as he reached into a vest pocket and withdrew a bulging bag of gold “The Dugku will have my head for this, Loth, that is the maximum amount they gave me to spend on the boy.”

“You’ve always worked alone, Yzo, what caused you to even take the boy?” Loth asked, as he took a quill from a vial of ink and began to trace intricate lines onto a sheet of parchment. It would take at least three days to finish the document that would cement Azo into the court and another two weeks of tutelage from The Dugku’s Mistress of Pleasure before Yzo’s apprentice would be able to walk amongst the courtiers as one of their own.

“I’ve never thought about why I took the boy, Loth. When I found him, he had just been raped by his Guild’s master and was laying in a pile of excrement outside the guild hall. He knew my name from the tales told of my exploits and when he saw me, he asked me to become my apprentice. I told him that if he could kill his Guild Master and then bring me proof, I would take him. He had a week and then, all bets were off.” Yzo’s eyes clouded over, remembering the pitiful sight of Azo, before he had become the ruthless killer he was today.

“So, the boy is damaged goods?” Loth asked, as he sat a pair of small glasses upon the tip of his nose and continued his work.

“About as broken a human being can get. He isn’t like all the others, he has two things they don’t, Talent and a love of his work. Sometimes he sheer joy, as the knife slides in, scares even me.” Yzo shook his head in wonder “His first kill was a pregnant woman, he stabbed her in the stomach and left her and her baby to bleed to death.”

“You’ve trained him well, he has no qualms then, hmm?” Loth had sat down the quill and looked into Yzo’s cold and infinitely sad eyes.

“I did not want to train him, I’ve wanted to kill him just about every day since he was nine years old. Now, all of it seems to be paying off and I will be shed of him soon.” Yzo replied, as he sat the bag of currency upon the table in front of Loth “Thank the gods.”

Meanwhile, across The Lowers, inside one of the multitude of *****houses, Azo sat with a beautiful older woman, as she told him how to walk and talk. The Mistress of Pleasure was both, gorgeous and ugly at the same time, while her features and soft voice spoke of love and care, the actual words were as cold as they could get, before they froze in the air in front of her. Her name was Adrianna, Azo was not given a last name for her, but he suspected, like him, she had no last name.

“Azo listen to me!” She cried, before slapping the heavy book she was rading upon the crown of Azo’s head “You have not heard a word I have said, have you?” The eyes of Azo strayed to her cleavage, which was nearly pushed out of her dress by the violent motion she had used to smash the book against his head.

“You were telling me of the proper way to talk to a lady of the court.” Azo replied, his eyes still locked upon the Mistress of Pleasure’s chest.

“Stop that and listen to me, Azo.” Adrianna cried again, before she continued her lecture on courtly ways.

“It’s nothing you haven’t done before.” Azo said, looking for once into her face. He was surprised when he caught a momentary flash of hurt across the Mistress of Pleasure’s eyes, before it was clouded over by her working face.