Lockerbie Bomber's release:Justified or not?

DeletedUser

I cannot believe I even supported those BP pigs for 1 minute after the Gulf accident... It was on purpose.

DeletedUser

To sum it up the Lockerbie Bomber is to be released from prison on compassionate grounds due to being terminally ill with cancer. Personally I think that letting a murderer out on compassionate grounds, especially after serving less than a decade in prison, is baloney. He killed over 200 people mercilessly and he deserves to be given no mercy at his own death. So what do you think? Is it just to let this man spend his last days free?

Yeah, that's total crap that they released him. Terrorists like him should be executed, much less given a "pass" on prison.

DeletedUser

I hear he was somehow involved in dat golf explosions thing with the oils but dat's just spekulation. I think the Scottish health system and pallative care is more culpable don't you?

DeletedUser22575

Further shame goes to the British Government for even catering to it and for blatantly lieing to the U.S. Government about the details of this entire exchange.

Yes, shame to the British Government for catering to it.

As far as lying to the US government, I can't get to upset over it. The US government lies to other government on a regular basis just about as frequently as it lies to its own citizens.:mad:

DeletedUser

Wow we all agree on something here! BP is ratting us all out for more money.

DeletedUser

Yes, shame to the British Government for catering to it.

As far as lying to the US government, I can't get to upset over it. The US government lies to other government on a regular basis just about as frequently as it lies to its own citizens.:mad:
Well, yeah, but so do a lot of governments to differing degrees. That's pretty much how politics works ;).

What I am upset about is that, while lying to the US government, they also lied to the American people, who have reason to be upset about this seeing that 2/3rds of the passengers aboard the flight were Americans.

DeletedUser

Well, yeah, but so do a lot of governments to differing degrees. That's pretty much how politics works ;).

What I am upset about is that, while lying to the US government, they also lied to the American people, who have reason to be upset about this seeing that 2/3rds of the passengers aboard the flight were Americans.

englisch peeps are upset about lying Bush that killed lots of englisch soldiars in iraq. "yet he without sins cast the first cruze missile" or somethin likes that.

DeletedUser

Yes because i'm so sure the higher ups in British government and armed forces didn't know the real reasons behind it. Bp is an oil company why is anyone surprised when they do something bad for people to make money.

DeletedUser

englisch peeps are upset about lying Bush that killed lots of englisch soldiars in iraq. "yet he without sins cast the first cruze missile" or somethin likes that.
You seem to be forgetting that he also lied to us and sent a lot of our boys to their deaths. You're also forgetting that it was Blair who went along with the lie and sent those British troops to Iraq. But most importantly,

Mohandas Ghandi said:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
I'm surprised you support this sort of retributive justice, considering that you oppose the death penalty. Going along with an injustice as perceived retribution for another injustice doesn't make things right- it just creates two injustices. So you do get your quasi-revenge for the war in Iraq; BP goes off scot free , Megrahi's out there as a potential threat, and the war dead aren't coming back anytime soon. If the British government had told the US govt. and people about the proceedings truthfully we could have at least had a chance to prevent BP from tampering with justice and give them their duly deserved punishment. The bombing victims won't come back, but BP gets taught a lesson and a potential killer remains safely behind bars.

DeletedUser

Yeah, that's not going to be happening. But worst, it demonstrates a derailment of the more important issue, which is the punishment/penalization that should be given to all offending parties (including BP officials, the GB participating government officials, and Scottish participating officials). And I say it's more important, because almost nothing can be done about the fact this man has been freed to his country, whilst plenty can be imposed on a corporation and on government officials of decidedly "allied" nations.

DeletedUser9470

the guy got 21 years in a scottish prison, thats far more than any of the world terrorist organisation leaders will ever get.

as far as i am concerned getting petrol rights for the exchange of a dying guy whos spent 21 years in prison is a no brainer!
not only that Libya paid $2.7 billion compensation.
again i don't see the world terrorist organisation paying a penny to countries like Irak (95000 civilian deaths minimum)/Iran(cant be bothered to look up how many civilians died there)/Kuwait(or there)/Afghanistan(or there)/ Israel(or there)without mentioning quite a few African countries and if we look further into history: Vietnam...

if we compare compensation/death ratio between lockerbie and irak basing on smallest numbers 270 deaths is $2.7 billion so 95000 deaths $950 billion compensation owed to Irak by the US of A!!!!!!!
and that could be 10 times worse according to other surveys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if i was working for BP i would be laughing my head off!

as far as Panam are concerned it was a huge embarrassment for letting a bomb get on a plane so easily. nice one panam!
since then US have instigated measures: now when a foreigner enters USA he is asked a series of questions:
-"are you a terrorist?"
-"are you a member of the nazi government of germany?"

Americaaaa :censored: YEAH!

im for sure never using an american company to fly especially nowadays with their casual aircraft maintenance.

i dont think any American can complain about anything that has to do with lockerbie.

Especially when they have 11000 deaths/year on their own soil from guns alone.

DeletedUser

Way to go to being obnoxious... and wrong.

the guy got 21 years in a scottish prison, thats far more than any of the world terrorist organisation leaders will ever get. as far as i am concerned getting petrol rights for the exchange of a dying guy whos spent 21 years in prison is a no brainer!
No, he served only 8½ years for the organizing of an action that directly resulted in the death of 270 non-combatants.

As to the rest of your comments, I have mixed feelings, but will refrain from commenting as it is off topic and warrants its own thread.

DeletedUser9470

so how many years are the usa citizens getting for killing 95000+ civilians in Irak?

so you can go round killing thousands of civilians children and women... but when someone gets a plane down and kills 270 people out of your own companies neglect you cry out for injustice!!!?
get a life!

DeletedUser

so how many years are the usa citizens getting for killing 95000+ civilians in Irak?!
So you're saying that even the anti-Iraq, anti-Bush folks here (me included) should be locked up too? Currently, those in opposition to Iraq sit at around 65% of the American population (http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm). Due to the law of average, many of the victims of the Lockerbie bombing would have gone on to oppose the war. Also, don't forget that 1/3rd of the victims were not Americans.

For more, see my rebuttal to Bendos' argument.

DeletedUser

I don't think it is jusitifiable to persecute every US citizen for the ill-judged decision made by the government. If we decide to put blame on a group of people collectively for the actions of an individual then wouldn't all germans, for example, be responsible for the holocaust or wouldn't all muslims be responsible for the 9/11 and 7/7 attacks?

Back to the topic- I like the fact that people are able to show compassion to those who have done wrong by others, however, I believe that the justice system should 'toughen up' a bit more. I believe that if a person was sentenced to 20 years in prison, for example, then they should serve the full sentence no matter what ( unless they die before their sentence finishes ofcourse). My view may be old fashioned but I strongly believe that if a person is given a punishment then they should carry it out fully- if that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

so how many years are the usa citizens getting for killing 95000+ civilians in Irak?

so you can go round killing thousands of civilians children and women... but when someone gets a plane down and kills 270 people out of your own companies neglect you cry out for injustice!!!?
get a life!

Depends how many years are citizens in the following countries getting :
United Kingdom, South Korea, Australia, Poland, Romania, Denmark, El Salvador, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Latvia, Albania, Czech Republic, Mongolia, Lithuania, Armenia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Estonia, Macedonia, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Fiji, Hungary, Nicaragua, Spain , Dominican Republic, Honduras, Philippines, Thailand, New Zealand, Tonga, Portugal, Singapore, Norway, Ukraine, The Netherlands, Japan, Italy ,Slovakia
All those countries have been in Iraq.

Plus Britians reparations to India from the 1800s. Plus the countless civilians killed in the middle ages. Bottom line is take your Anti-American crap elsewhere, and learn some facts before you talk about how bad we are.

Now back on topic. They had a terrorist in custody and they let him go to get oil rights. There is no way to justify that. In essence it is trading money for lives which has become common place in the modern era.

DeletedUser

get a life!

Neo brings up a good point...
When the USA has innocent civilians killed, the killers are terrorists.
When the USA kills innocent civilians, we're not the terrorists.

DeletedUser

Again take you anti American crap elsewhere and get your facts straight. The US does not purposefully kill civilians. The civilians are killed as a result of the terrorists tactics. They fight in cities and wherever they can, they are not clear from the enemy. You think the soldiers enjoy accidentally killing civilians? If you do then you are ignorant.

Sorry for taking this conversation off topic but i'm not going to sit by while people ignorantly spout off about America.