Lockerbie Bomber's release:Justified or not?

DeletedUser

This post is a mickey -take right?
I mean firstly, prison IS meant to rehabilitate because without it the only logical course is death for all prisoners regardless of crimes.
Rather obvious you're not familiar with the correctional system. Because, if you were, you wouldn't be making such inane comments. Rehabilitation is an afterthought in most countries, including the U.S. Do you truly believe putting a person in prison with a bunch of other prisoners, so they can swap ideas/approaches, reaffirm anti-social behaviors, and generally behave in gang-related fashion, is rehabilitation? Prisons serve as a punishment and, through fear of incarceration/reincarceration, deterrents. That's not rehabilitation and you would be hard-pressed to convince most sane folks otherwise.

Also, posing an extreme alternative does not make for a good argument. It merely demonstrates the weakness of your foundation.

Secondly, what danger is a terminally-ill man going to pose to the US or UK. Do you think that he might try to plot agian (if he did in the first place).
Yes. Do you think being terminally ill somehow exonerates someone from the crimes they committed, or REHABILITATES them, de-facto? The man has less reason to live now then he did before. Assuming the charges made against him, and for which he was found guilty, are true (and that's a reasonable assumption even in your Bizarro-world), then he's no less likely to commit a heinous crime now than he was then.

But, and maybe this sort of escaped you in this whole weak-stance bit you're pulling here, a greater concern is the symbolism. Or maybe it completely slipped by you that he was treated like a "hero," paraded through the streets in a limo?

like being in a hospital bed in Libya will speed his recovery!!!!!!
Which is a totally irrelevant comment. We're not talking about recovery here --- we're talking about justice, potentiality for recidivism, and symbolic malfeasance.

Please, I beg you people. THINK before you post.
Ditto. Put some time into thinking before you pose your arguments, because they are shallow, devoid of continuity, and generally missing the boat.

Whether he did or did not do it - and the Jury is out on this apparently (no pun intended) - real politik rules.
Actually, the jury was not out. He was found guilty. You keep thinking that, just because he had yet another appeal pending, this somehow exonerates him, infers innocence.

As I previously posted, just about every person in prison files appeals, over and over and over again. That doesn't make them innocent, it makes them looking for a way out, hoping for some sort of wild hair of luck to release them from a life of imprisonment (in the rare cases where an appeal gets granted, it is due to technicalities and not necessarily guilt or innocence. His first appeal was denied for lack of evidence and he retracted his second appeal, so I guess we'll never really know if he might have gotten off on a technicality).

Before Americans start boycotting scotch whisky in a misguided protest (like they ever would), think about the lives lost in Iraq/Afghanistan etc. and then try to incite a complete boycott of Haliburton-owned products.
And here is where you really start losing your footing. You think to exonerate this guy because of the wrongs committed by United States?!? You honestly believe him killing 200+ people, by blowing up a commercial airliner, is justified?

It's REAL POLITIK. If I had lost a family member I would be angry at the murderers but does letting an old and possibly innocent man out of prison to die really help me with my grief? Better to take the oil deals and then benefit from the tax dollars that flow to me and/or my family. It's a case of the greater good and has been going on for thousands of years of diplomacy.
And here is where you're confusing profiteering with "greater good." Wow, seriously, wow! Exactly how deep do you want to go down the rabbit-hole of distorted perceptions?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This is in response to Hellstromm's post above. Forgive me as I haven't learnt how to multi-quote yet! :sad:
His points are in itallics.

Rather obvious you're not familiar with the correctional system. Because, if you were, you wouldn't be making such inane comments. Rehabilitation is an afterthought in most countries, including the U.S. Do you truly believe putting a person in prison with a bunch of other prisoners, so they can swap ideas/approaches, reaffirm anti-social behaviors, and generally behave in gang-related fashion, is rehabilitation? Prisons serve as a punishment and, through fear of incarceration/reincarceration, deterrents. That's not rehabilitation and you would be hard-pressed to convince most sane folks otherwise.

Also, posing an extreme alternative does not make for a good argument. It merely demonstrates the weakness of your foundation.

Firstly, let me say that I do try to make my points without resorting to personal attacks. If I ever do it, please pull me up on it.

Thankfully I am not familiar with the penal system having never served time, but I am aware that deterrence is the least likely outcome of a custodial sentance. Most criminals are re-offenders, and first-timers have obviously not been deterred in the first place! Also, you seem to believe that rehabilitation is not possible and prison is merely a punishment. Although it is true that they are excellent crime academies, your sweeping statement gives no hope that any inmate can reform which is patently not true. This is scary perspective you have on life. I could talk about the death penalty as a deterrent but that's a whole new can of worms.

Yes. Do you think being terminally ill somehow exonerates someone from the crimes they committed, or REHABILITATES them, de-facto? The man has less reason to live now then he did before. Assuming the charges made against him, and for which he was found guilty, are true (and that's a reasonable assumption even in your Bizarro-world), then he's no less likely to commit a heinous crime now than he was then.
"Yes.The man has less reason to live now than he did before ". Seriously, you are just trying to wind me up here with a ridiculous argument devoid any base of reality aren't you? I will ignore that statement for what it's worth, which is little. I doubt he will be doing much plotting from the Intensive care bed that he currently resides in.

But, and maybe this sort of escaped you in this whole weak-stance bit you're pulling here, a greater concern is the symbolism. Or maybe it completely slipped by you that he was treated like a "hero," paraded through the streets in a limo?

Symbolism is the only argument of yours that holds water. I can't really argue against that. You just have to decide how important they are.
The homecoming was regrettable but probably necessary for the Libyans to save face when we screw them during negotiations for their oil. :dry:

Which is a totally irrelevant comment. We're not talking about recovery here --- we're talking about justice, potentiality for recidivism, and symbolic malfeasance.

I think you may be repeating yourself here as any good rant would but like I said, he won't be doing too much plotting from his death bed. I really think you can sleep safely tonight.

Ditto. Put some time into thinking before you pose your arguments, because they are shallow, devoid of continuity, and generally missing the boat.

They are none of these things and I think you mean "missing the point" not "missing the boat". I wasn't aware that I was too late for this discussion. ;)

Actually, the jury was not out. He was found guilty. You keep thinking that, just because he had yet another appeal pending, this somehow exonerates him, infers innocence.

You know that this is a phrase commonly used to express doubt about something right? If not in the US, then certainly over here.
e.g. "What do you make of X's new girlfriend". "Hmmm The jury's out on that one".
Also, did you miss me say "no pun intended"

As I previously posted, just about every person in prison files appeals, over and over and over again. That doesn't make them innocent, it makes them looking for a way out, hoping for some sort of wild hair of luck to release them from a life of imprisonment (in the rare cases where an appeal gets granted, it is due to technicalities and not necessarily guilt or innocence. His first appeal was denied for lack of evidence and he retracted his second appeal, so I guess we'll never really know if he might have gotten off on a technicality).

I really don't know if he was one of the plotters or not but many of the British victims' families do not think he was. There has been talk of retaliation for the USS Vincennes incident and many think that Iran were the bombers. I doubt we will ever know.

And here is where you really start losing your footing. You think to exonerate this guy because of the wrongs committed by United States?!? You honestly believe him killing 200+ people, by blowing up a commercial airliner, is justified?

Did I say that killing 200+ people, by blowing up a commercial airliner, is justified? Please show me where I said that. Also, where did I exonerate him? Again, please show me.
I was merely pointing out that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones when it comes to taking the moral high-ground. Do YOU believe that Americans should boycott Scottish products as a protest? And what do the Lockerbie victims do if they disagree with the decision? Drive to England every time they want to go shopping?

And here is where you're confusing profiteering with "greater good." Wow, seriously, wow! Exactly how deep do you want to go down the rabbit-hole of distorted perceptions?

Well we have to believe that our Governments are acting for the "Greater Good" (to not do so is another debate completely and one I am happy to talk about with you). If a deal was done, it was done in the National Interest. If you disagree with that and believe it to be profiteering and probably corruption of officials, then the similarities with Halliburton and Iraq are obvious. Like I say, it's RealPolitik. Unfortunately ethical foreign policies are like moneytrees. We'd all like to have one but it doesn't actually exist!

DeletedUser

I believe the Lockerbie Bomber's release was good. Whether it was Just or not, I can't say something which would sway you, because what may be Just for you is not for me.

I believe it was Just because the man was near death and had been locked up for a long time. It is a practice I believe for some countries/prisons to release people serving a life sentence a couple weeks before thier death, kind of how in America prisoners get last meal before they are executed ... though they're plugged up so when they die the food doesnt come out so to speak.

About the same time, if not the same day the Lockerbie Bombers release was announced another article popped up:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8215556.stm

Why has no one screamed over this man and what has he has done? Is it because he is white? He is American? Because he was in a uniform? Because he is sorry ... oh wait very sorry? 500 people murdered in a village. No proof of helping the Vietcong or NVA. Yet 500 people were lined up and shot. This man was supposed to get life. Instead he got 3 years of house arrest ...

Tell me who got more Justice ... the family and friends of the Lockerbie Bomber or the family and friends of those who died in My Lai? He is soon to die anyways, liekly before the 'Jury' makes a decision or the Libyan Government will stall until he dies and so "Oh well, we were just about to give him over to."

DeletedUser

The Vietnam killer was a terrible man. It happened in 1968, though: its old news. That was just the news circulating this story again because he was apologizing. He should have been executed: my dad agrees and he fought in Vietnam. Many people in the USA found this appalling. Seriously, find a better comparison.

DeletedUser

It is about oil. British and Amerikan oil companies are in talks with Libya because it has the largest untapped oil reserves in Africa.
He should have been put in a plane and thrown out of it at the highest altitude possible with no parachute over Libya.
He was not the actual bomber but he was involved in buying the timers in Germany.
So where are the rest of them bombers ?????
Justice is only as deep as your bank account.
As a native Scot I find this despicable.

DeletedUser

Rather obvious you're not familiar with the correctional system. Because, if you were, you wouldn't be making such inane comments. Rehabilitation is an afterthought in most countries, including the U.S.

In the UK its thought to be one of the cornerstones actually, rehabilitation to prevent reoffending.

Considering the crime rates in both countries however I'd say neither approach works as intended.

DeletedUser

Surely the mercy that a society is capable of showing its most hated criminals is a good thing. When we have every reason to feel nothing but hatred and yet can show compassion, it is a sign that society is progressing, evolving, and not falling into decay and despair.

OMG Take this bull somewhere else.

The reason people are imprisoned is not merely to punish (definitely not to rehabilitate them), but also to protect the citizenry. The broken assumption is that people who are eventually released will not.

Why cannot everyone be so logical? (I added the bold) But Hellstromm, why can we not take it a step further and condemn certain criminals to death?

Compassion trumps revenge, releasing the man may save more lives in the long run. (we hope)

Explain to me, please, exactly how this move will save lives? Don't spew emotional crap unless you're read to logically defend it.

Well we get the moral victory :/

No. Scotland has done what the terrorists wanted. Ergo, we have aided in the victory of evil.

Only if the executioner is killed, and the person who killed the executioner, etc. And if we did that, everyone would end up dead.

"An eye for an eye, and soon the world goes blind." - Gandhi

Otherwise, your logic is void.

The value of a human life is beyond measure. If I steal $50, "justice" demands that I pay back $50, plus interest. If I take a human life by murder, my own life is forfeit. Period. The suggestion that I can "pay back" by any other means, necessarily cheapens the life of the victim.

You make some kick-butt points sometimes, Hellstromm. ;)

Do you think being terminally ill somehow exonerates someone from the crimes they committed . . . he's no less likely to commit a heinous crime now than he was then.

QFT

DeletedUser

Why cannot everyone be so logical? (I added the bold) But Hellstromm, why can we not take it a step further and condemn certain criminals to death?
Because even though the system (of many countries) relies on a notion that people are found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, in most cases there still remains some doubt, and it would be far better to let a wrongly accused man serve the rest of his life in prison, in the hopes evidence may one day exonerate him, than it is to execute him and remove any hope of exoneration. I think your inclination to travel the route of a death penalty stems from a loss of faith in the justice system's integrity. Anyhow, this particular tangent is best left for a different discussion, which exists here ---Discussion on the Death Sentence

No. Scotland has done what the terrorists wanted. Ergo, we have aided in the victory of evil.
I agree 99% (1% being reasonable doubt, hehe).

*bows*

DeletedUser

OMG Take this bull somewhere else.

In America you can in certain States. In the civillised world we take a dim view on playing God.

Explain to me, please, exactly how this move will save lives? Don't spew emotional crap unless you're read to logically defend it.

If you are trying to build relationships with a hostile adversary and turn them into a partner in commerce and possibly geopolitics, then you offer them a gift. If they view the West (the geopolitical definition and not the game ;)) as partners and not a threat, then they might not bomb us. How's that? Unemotional enough for you?

lol. The aim of a terrorist organisation being to free it's foot-soldiers (if he was actually involved) from prison of course! (that's sarcasm btw, I can't be sure you understand)

The value of a human life is beyond measure. If I steal $50, "justice" demands that I pay back $50, plus interest.

I appreciate that human life cannot be measured (that's a whole different argument that we can have), For muslims, charging interest is forbidden. Moreover, what does justice have to do with anything anyway? A lendor might make an interest-free loan for whatever reason, is that justified?

If I take a human life by murder, my own life is forfeit. Period. The suggestion that I can "pay back" by any other means, necessarily cheapens the life of the victim.

Ah, let's hope that you and your kind are the victims of miscarriages of justice and find yourselves looking at a chair with a gazillion volts running through it........
Actually I don't wish that on you, or on anyone.

(sigh):nowink:

DeletedUser

lol. The aim of a terrorist organisation being to free it's foot-soldiers (if he was actually involved) from prison of course! (that's sarcasm btw, I can't be sure you understand)
Actually, he was deemed to be one of the Generals, in that he is said to have planned/coordinated the attack. He was also, at the time, a Libyan agent.

So, not a foot soldier.

DeletedUser

Actually, he was deemed to be one of the Generals, in that he is said to have planned/coordinated the attack. He was also, at the time, a Libyan agent.

So, not a foot soldier.

Let's assume you are right as you have obviously had access to CIA files (and let's assume that they are right for that matter although that is a big assumption), so what? Pawn or general, the man is incapable of speach now, will die shortly, and unlikely to be plotting terrorist activities (hang on - did I say terrorist, I meant freedom fighter) if he ever did to start with. Really, attitudes like yours where you constantly seek to demonise without any understanding of the reasons why other nations/peoples might detest you is exactly why they detest you in the first place.

DeletedUser

Reawakening this debate, I'm not sure how many of you have heard the latest. Seems the doctor who pronounced he was going to die in three months (and thus the reason for his early release) has --- miraculously --- determined he will live for at least another 10 years. And this all without ever seeing the patient again. Amazing what psychic medicine can do, aye?

So, anyone smelling a Swiss bank account? Or, at the very least, a political 'convenience?' *

*(those of you who were cheering that government's mercy, what are your thoughts now? When will you learn? Pinochet's alleged dementia, who eventually died six years later of an unrelated heart attack, with full mental capacity and no diagnostic evidence of dementia, should have clued up the citizenry of the politics associated with these so-called medical pardons.)

DeletedUser

Looks like some more circumstances surrounding the situation have been revealed: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38256677/ns/world_news-africa

Yep, it's our old friend BP at it again. I usually don't buy into conspiracy theories, but BP has actually started to admit to this one (albeit slowly).

Any more thoughts?

DeletedUser1121

This is just what BP could use.
Usually i am against kicking a man (company in this case) but these guys had it coming.
It is just deadwrong what they did. Putting money over millions of people's feelings.

DeletedUser

"LONDON — The oil giant BP faced a new furor on Thursday as it confirmed that it had lobbied the British government to conclude a prisoner-transfer agreement that the Libyan government wanted to secure the release of the only person ever convicted for the 1988 Lockerbie airliner bombing over Scotland, which killed 270 people, most of them Americans." ~ http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/16/world/europe/16britain.html

For those of you struggling to understand what that means, it means BP has confessed to having pressured (and likely paid) the British government to have the Lockerbie Bomber released.

DeletedUser

The oil giant BP faced a new furor on Thursday as it confirmed that it had lobbied the British government to conclude a prisoner-transfer agreement that the Libyan government wanted to secure the release of the only person ever convicted for the 1988 Lockerbie airliner bombing over Scotland, which killed 270 people, 189 of them Americans...

...BP’s statement on Thursday repeated earlier acknowledgments that it had promoted the transfer agreement to protect a $900 million offshore oil-and-gas exploration deal off Libya’s Mediterranean coast. The British justice minister at the time, Jack Straw, admitted after Mr. Megrahi was repatriated and freed that the BP deal was a consideration in the review of his case...

...BP’s response to the senators’ challenge came in a statement released Thursday, in which BP stuck to its claim that its lobbying was focused on the prisoner transfer pact, not on Mr. Megrahi himself, and that the company had nothing to do with the decision by Scotland to release him.
“It’s not for BP to comment on the decision of the Scottish government,” it said. “BP was not involved in any discussion with the U.K. government or the Scottish government about the release of Mr. al-Megrahi...."

Um, does BP think the public's that dumb, or does BP just have a bad PR department? It doesn't matter whether the outcome was a prison-transfer agreement or a release; all that matters is that BP was manipulating the British government in the proceedings leading up to the agreement, which they have fully acknowledged. Shame on them.

Anyone think there's a chance that BP's right to drill off the Libyan coast will be revoked anytime soon?

DeletedUser

Further shame goes to the British Government for even catering to it and for blatantly lieing to the U.S. Government about the details of this entire exchange.