Intelligent design? or Evolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Alright, this was fun.... I think I've said enough, unless I have some help rather than me being on the creation side and 30 people being on the science side I'm going to stop... by the way the science side is the minority... just a majority in this forum (-=

Let me correct you on that; You are on the crazy team, the rest of us (atleast plenty) are on the rational team.
Start rambling incohrently, we'll do our best to listen.

In the words of Dara Ó Briain:

"Science doesn't know everything, but that doesn't mean you can fill the gaps with whatever crazy story takes your fancy!"

Oison, glad to see you are still around, and I love your quote.

DeletedUser

In answer to the initial question, it is possible to agree with both. Evolution is how it happened. Intelligent design is about why it happened.

DeletedUser

In the words of Dara Ó Briain:

"Science doesn't know everything, but that doesn't mean you can fill the gaps with whatever crazy story takes your fancy!"

I did that all the time when I was drinking. :unsure:

DeletedUser

Let me correct you on that; You are on the crazy team, the rest of us (atleast plenty) are on the rational team.

There is no "teams" here. Just because I don't buy into intelligent design, and accept evolution doesn't mean I am not a believer. Also to think anyone who is science-based, or a scientist is a non-believer is a major assumption.

Many famous scientists were/are religious. Current scientists are split, with a little more than a majority leaning towards agnostic based off of surveys done in 1997. Not sure if there is a more recent one.

DeletedUser

Many famous scientists were/are religious. Current scientists are split, with a little more than a majority leaning towards agnostic based off of surveys done in 1997. Not sure if there is a more recent one.

Whatever the percent is, the percentage of scientists that are non-religious is far greater than the general population. But, this kind of reasoning is a fallacy, too. All of the scientists may be incorrect and the layman on the street correct.

DeletedUser

For once we agree Adelei. Well, maybe more than once. The only thing I know for sure in terms of faith is there is a lot I don't know or can't explain. It's a personal choice-and for some who have chose otherwise-its funny how they take it personal that someone else does believe.

Ironically, I find it amusing that many atheists spend so much time discussing their disbelief in a God. I think for some of them, its thoughts of a guilty conscience.

Either way, this fruitless thread must continue...

DeletedUser

Ironically, I find it amusing that many atheists spend so much time discussing their disbelief in a God. I think for some of them, its thoughts of a guilty conscience.

And another fallacy.

I discuss all kinds of things from abortion to gun control to politics to whatever. I discuss stances that I don't believe in. No guilt. Just the willingness to teach the ignorant.

DeletedUser

Abortion, gun control and politics are all actual events of substance you can discuss.

And while my statement may or may not characterize you-it certainly does some. I find from some atheists I know that they are the first people to bring up discussions of God. It's one thing to interject in a discussion, its another to seek conversations about something you don't believe.

Just the willingness to teach the ignorant.

To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant.

You should learn more about the wisdom of humility.

DeletedUser

I do belive humility is considered a virtue, rather than "a wisdom", but thanks for playing.

DeletedUser

Abortion, gun control and politics are all actual events of substance you can discuss.

So you admit that the Bible and "God" are not actual events of substance... Well, you're making progress.

In any event, I also discuss conspiracy theories, Santa, aliens and other things I have no reason to believe in. Again, not out of guilt.

You should learn more about the wisdom of humility.

What I find is arrogant is to assume that those who don't believe as you do, talk about it out of a "guilty conscience".

DeletedUser

I think for some of them

Quit generalizing comments. For some that is the case. They want affirmation that they are right about what they think and they aren't completely sure of their atheistic beliefs.

Thats not you, rest assuredly. And I don't assume, I can only judge the conversations that I have with people in person, and those that I know beyond an internet forum.

Rose-there is wisdom in humility, being humble is a virtue.

DeletedUser

Quit generalizing comments. For some that is the case. They want affirmation that they are right about what they think and they aren't completely sure of their atheistic beliefs.

Your proof? Or, should I be able to make similarly arrogant statements like, "I think some believers secretly feel guilty about what they have done in life and only believe because feel 'God' will give them absolution".

I take your statement of belief on face value. I do not try to assign an alterior motive to your belief unless you state one yourself.

DeletedUser

If you had repeated conversations with people in your life where they obsessed about the discussions, and weren't even persistent on their own thoughts or beliefs, I would suspect you to be able to draw your own conclusions.

There is a psychology to some people who claim they're agnostic or atheist. There is an attention seeking behavior of wanting the attention from people trying to convince them they are wrong.

Is that you, everyone or a majority who is an atheist? No. But it happens to be about 3 people that I know personally. And I am sure they aren't the only 3 in that particular situation.

DeletedUser

So, no proof. Just you assigning motives to their stances. Perhaps I should assume that you assign these motives to those atheists because it makes you feel better about yourself and your religion...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The background and cultural belonging of said persons would come into play about the guilt part.

Personally, I have never felt guilty about not beliving in god.
THere simply was no reason to belive such a fairy-tale to be the truth.
The more I learn about religion, the less I fathom that people actualy belive.
I get the whole comfort, strength, and guidance thing, but rationaly speaking;
How can one accept the logical fallacies in the dogma?

DeletedUser

hey John, was their ever a point in your life that u beleived Santa Claus existed, be honest ????

DeletedUser

hey John, was their ever a point in your life that u beleived Santa Claus existed, be honest ????

I am confident you have some kind of clever point planned, so let's skip the foreplay and get to it.

Plenty children belive in the magic man whom knows when your'e naughty, and knows when you're good.
All of them grow up, and stop beliving.

However plenty of adults cling to child-like beliefs of a similar magic man, whom also sees all you do.
Good or bad, and the scale of punishment has risen from coal in the stocking to eternal damnation.
What's more; What you do doesn't even matter, as long as you kneel and worship the bugger.

DeletedUser

My point being is most of us at some point beleived in a fairy tale, some of us still do and it may not be a fairy tale after all.

P.S. I am NOT referring to Santa Claus here.

DeletedUser

My point being is most of us at some point beleived in a fairy tale, some of us still do and it may not be a fairy tale after all.

P.S. I am NOT referring to Santa Claus here.

Why not refer to Santa Claus? It may not be a fairy tale after all, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.