Homestead for non duelers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

The West is a game based on the Wild West in fictional films and books, not a replay of history.

There is at least one poster in these forums who feel that it needs to be as true to 19th century realism as possible. i.e. that [suggested idea] couldn't happen in the real west.

I haven't seen any fictional books that depict The-West as allowing duelers/snipers to go around freely and shoot people while they are working. No doubt there is at least one out there, however that is not how things were in the west, fiction or not.

Even in fictional films and books, duels were pre-arranged, even if only 'main street at high noon'

BOTH parties had the opportunity to prepare and put their cutest, most effective outfit on. As it is, a sniper can see what outfit a victim has on and dress themselves accordingly to resist what they have on. ie. victim has a melee weapon, dueler/sniper can put on melee resistant clothing, etc.

I think that is a great idea to pre-arrange duels.

Make a date for a duel instead of sniping them cuz you visited their town. Bring flowers for the funeral. Even a player from a homestead (OP) could arrange for a mutually agreeable duel if they so wished.

Again, I reiterate.....since there are so many who want to duel as it is, the majority rules (although I am not sure that is the majority) have at it.

Just call it what it is. (it ain't dueling and it isn't the wild-west) Don't be calling a thorn-bush a rose.

DeletedUser

BOTH parties had the opportunity to prepare and put their cutest, most effective outfit on. As it is, a sniper can see what outfit a victim has on and dress themselves accordingly to resist what they have on. ie. victim has a melee weapon, dueler/sniper can put on melee resistant clothing, etc.

I think that is a great idea to pre-arrange duels.

Make a date for a duel instead of sniping them cuz you visited their town. Bring flowers for the funeral. Even a player from a homestead (OP) could arrange for a mutually agreeable duel if they so wished.

You need to re-think this. Not everyone plays at the same time. Some players play when others are asleep etc.. You would have people saying 'No, I just want to hug my teddy bear in peace'..

Try switching to defensive clothes after you queue your jobs... it works wonders.

You keep trying to compare a game to real life and it just won't work. Stop taking it so seriously and have fun, money is so easy to come by that there should be no complaints like these. If you are concerned with your record, know that EVERYONE loses duels at some point.

DeletedUser

you need to re-think this. Not everyone plays at the same time. Some players play when others are asleep etc.. You would have people saying 'no, i just want to hug my teddy bear in peace'..

Try switching to defensive clothes after you queue your jobs... It works wonders.

You keep trying to compare a game to real life and it just won't work. Stop taking it so seriously and have fun, money is so easy to come by that there should be no complaints like these. If you are concerned with your record, know that everyone loses duels at some point.

qft.

DeletedUser

All this talk and boohooing about duelers???? you go to saloon see list of who you can duel and duel them! thats part of game dont like it then dont play game! (have characters on all worlds but 10 and yes builder in one world and dueler in another.)

DeletedUser

All this talk and boohooing about duelers???? you go to saloon see list of who you can duel and duel them! thats part of game dont like it then dont play game! (have characters on all worlds but 10 and yes builder in one world and dueler in another.)

It is the duelers who do the most whining, you have to read between the lines. They conceal it with angry words. Kindly do not tell me what game to play or not play. You are not the boss of me.

You might want to point out where I said I didn't like dueling. I don't give a rodents backside about dueling. That is not what I was writing about. If you are going to jump in with a yayhoo comment, please do read the entire posting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kingslinger ~

Elmyr is the one who has commented the most on realism in the game, nay-saying an idea because 'it wasn't like that in the real west'. Outside of the ATM machines in various locations idea, (not my idea, but not a bad one hehe) I agree with him. I am just paraphrasing him in that comment about the realism of the game compared to the real 'old west'. One of his posting similar to this, is in this very thread.

Oh and gosh, yes, I know its a game. I enjoy the h*ll out of this game. No worries on that account, but thank you for your comments ~ I'm not taking it too seriously, if so that would be time to leave it.

I'm just giving my opinions just like everyone else ... amazing how riled up the duelers get, isn't it? That is the whining between the lines.

DeletedUser

You are not the boss of me.

Lol.

I'm just giving my opinions just like everyone else ... amazing how riled up the duelers get, isn't it? That is the whining between the lines.

It's not duelers whining, it's duelers so sick of people making threads like this saying they are not honorable or this isn't fair, that should be changed etc etc etc.

When I first started playing there were rarely threads like this. I remember all the complaining was put into ONE thread and it was mostly about duelers hitting workers. Now you get 10 threads a day from the whiny sim crowd looking to change a game that is not broken.

DeletedUser

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Dueling is fine.

EOD.

(sure, minor tweaks needed, but making people off-limits is not a solution)
i can't find anythin in dueling that doesn't need fixing.
1. People can be 4 levels lower than you in dueling level and get 40s while you get 5s
2. You are forced to accept it which makes no sense!
3. People can duel you over and over and over.

i think it's funny how duelers have convinced themselves that they are the victims. They say everyone else is whining, yeah some people do but others are trying to level the playing field but the duelers just cry becuase then if it becomes fair they will have to work for their money like everyone else instead of getting easy money.

DeletedUser

Sorry, I disagree. I'm not an active dueler on most worlds and I have a worker who's been hit much more than any whiny worker I've seen, plus another builder on Beta. I'm much more of a non-dueler than a dueler, and I've never been big on PVP in any game I've played, but y'all are wrong. Non-duelers whine more.

Non-duelers whine much more than duelers. Duelers whine when changes to the game threaten to take away their livelihood: motivation affecting earnings, resistance being nerfed, and any suggestions which threaten to do the same.

Even if you don't take into account all the whiny threads on being dueled, builders whine every bit as much when their livelihood is threatened, such as when it was planned to change the skills used for construction: http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=10092

DeletedUser

Even in fictional films and books, duels were pre-arranged, even if only 'main street at high noon'

BOTH parties had the opportunity to prepare and put their cutest, most effective outfit on.

I take it you haven't seen many westerns.

DeletedUser13636

Can one of you moderators just close this thread please? In fact if you can just delete it all together that would be even better. I take it all back already. My apologies to you all for starting yet another thread that seems to be just another waste of time arguing about dueling. I love dueling just the way it is and I hope they leave it as is. For those of you who do not like to duel, maybe it would just be best if you stay out of a town until you are ready to start dueling or just keep your money in the bank. Dueling is the best and most fun part of the game as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Elmy, with reams of respect, if a player doesn't have a choice to accept or not, to prepare or not, how is that equal? In a true duel, you knew who and when your opposition was and when to meet them. If someone shoots you in the back, while you are working, that is a sniper attack.

Tell that to Bill Hickok who was gun down in a saloon while playing cards.

DeletedUser

Tell that to Bill Hickok who was gun down in a saloon while playing cards.

I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment. Tell what to Bill Hickok?

Yes, he was killed in a saloon while playing cards. Are you saying that this was a duel? (it wasn't, it was murder, undoubtedly provoked by Wild Bills' actions)

There is a fascinating article about him in Wikipedia.

DeletedUser1105

I can't believe this thread is as long as it is.

This idea will never be implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.