Guide to Dueling

Has this guide been helpful?

• Yes, I am winning more duels than ever before.

Votes: 112 36.7%
  • Yes, it has helped turned my dueling failures into success.

Votes: 55 18.0%
  • Yes, as a new player, it has helped me to succeed at dueling.

Votes: 92 30.2%
  • No, my dueling ability remains unchanged.

Votes: 43 14.1%
  • No, I'm losing more than before.

Votes: 41 13.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

That's just telling you the results of the duel, it doesn't affect the outcome at all. The only ways to avoid duels is to either sleep in a hotel or not belong to a town (unless you're knocked out, that gives you 48 hours of protection.)

DeletedUser

Earlier today, I made a change to the Melee Resistance Build. I changed the AP and SP distribution. I'm not exactly sure what I was thinking before, but 100% in Strength is the best way to go. This opens up more SP to use and gives the most toughness/reflex, more than what I originally had there. I apologize for not seeing/fixing this sooner and hope players don't have to respec too much if you're following the guide.

For the resistance build, there have been questions as too what that build should look like now due to the new resistance cap. From what I've seen so far, though limited, it appears the build should still be a solid option and remain the same. Even though players who used to hit resistance duelers for 0 damage can now hit for like 30 damage per hit, the total damage inflicted should still be relatively low enough that 1 or 2 hits from a resistance dueler would still be enough to win. However, duelers with high shooting might now have a even better chance to win. Nevertheless, the resistance build should remain unchanged; however, moving some points from toughness into aim might be a good idea, seeing as how melee duelers have less vigor than range duelers have shooting. Basically, don't be afraid of the resistance build even with the damage cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Some time ago, after some discussions with *Doc Holliday* I decided to respec my pure hider into a melee dueler. So our plan is to move all mobility into strength. And then increase reflex to match toughness and the rest of the points will be almost evenly distributed into aim, appearance, tactics and vigour.

So what do you think? How successful is it going to be?

PS. I want to give all credit to Doc, he told me of this build even before the above post was made.

DeletedUser

pm'd you, but for anyone else...

You don't want to distribute points to all the dueling skills. It'll spread you out way too thin and make you an ineffective dueler.

For anyone who didn't notice, this got moved to Gem's Helpful Reference section. Anyway, it's back out in questions/guides for now so you can post in this thread again. Feel free to ask questions and also if anyone notices a build not fully optimized, please say something. Like a few days ago, I noticed the melee resistance build I had wasn't fully optimized to give you the most resistance, so I changed it. It was set-up so you had a little dodge, but a little dodge in a resistance build isn't really going to do anything.

DeletedUser

b00k's spreadsheet is really cool. It'll save you time and work since it automatically calculates your stats. All you have to do is type in your current level. Everyone should check it out!

I added the link to the first post as well.

DeletedUser

One thing you might want to do is add cells for extra AP/SP from quests. Just a suggestion, I do like it and repped you for it earlier.

DeletedUser

The spreadsheet is working fine right now, even after Google Docs messed it up a little. That's why I don't want to tweak it only for a few points. Adding those extra points would be a nice addition, but I really don't feel like doing it right now.

DeletedUser

The spreadsheet is working fine right now, even after Google Docs messed it up a little. That's why I don't want to tweak it only for a few points. Adding those extra points would be a nice addition, but I really don't feel like doing it right now.

You might want to upload it to scribd instead. It doesn't change anything.

DeletedUser

I will be making minor changes later this week to some of the builds because they don't look right to me anymore.

I'm not sure if I ever said this, but the builds I presented help set you up for when you reach a higher level. They are not necessarily the best to use to start off when you're a low level player. For example, the builds that involve tactics. I assume you have all of that high level duel gear for bonuses to go along with the base skill.

DeletedUser

I am a low level player that eventually wants to be a dueler. In order to gain experience quite fast while being low level I am thinking about not putting any points yet into skills that are not needed that much for jobs. Is there any advantage of going either melee or ranged when it comes to the speed of levelling?
Also, if I can ask a personal question do you think that a well-build ranged dueler would be able to defeat more players compared to a melee dueler? I got that impression from the "Range Dueler ( Regular - Soldier Class ) Effective against Regular and Resistance Duelers" template.

DeletedUser

Dueling is dueling. You can earn yourself quite a lot of experience from dueling. Melee or range shouldn't matter in terms of dueling other players to get experience. I have no idea how good any of the builds are for jobs though, but a range build is better for jobs because of shooting compared to melee.

I personally think that a well-built range dueler is the best. However, the melee resistance dueler is strong and you can win a lot of duels with that build, but there are certain duelers you can't beat and if they find out they can beat you easily, then you're in big trouble.

DeletedUser

another big advantage with melee resistance duelers are amount of duels you can do..
zero motivation dueling is far far easier by melee resistance as even if you loose you dont loose too many hps..

oh on that.. HNS did your melee in w-1 ever got k.o.'d (in duels?)

DeletedUser

Yea, what Neo-quick said. You can duel a lot more as a resistance dueler because you won't lose much HP in a duel.

I've only gotten KO'd when I faced players with very high shooting, but let's keep that quiet ;)
Then again, my build isn't right.

I tend to stay away from those high shooting players lol

DeletedUser

AS HNS said, u will get yourself a lot of experience from dueling and others dueler, so who know, we will figured out that there are many built out there that worth to try :)

DeletedUser

I noticed that melee resistance duelers are often the highest ranked for various worlds. Do you guys think it is because they are able to duel more often (because of hit points), because it is hard to find the right build to beat them, or some other reason?

DeletedUser

I noticed that melee resistance duelers are often the highest ranked for various worlds. Do you guys think it is because they are able to duel more often (because of hit points), because it is hard to find the right build to beat them, or some other reason?

You mean the other way around? Ranged weapon players are the highest rank in the end.

Yes sure melee is ranked high up until level 30 then they stay dormant. :nowink:

DeletedUser

Let the numbers speak for themselves. I checked the top 20 duelers from worlds 1-10 in the rankings. I wrote down whether they were melee or ranged and here are the findings:

-In newer worlds (6-10), where there are generally lower level players, ~70% of top 20 players are melee.
-In older worlds (1-5), where there are generally higher level players, ~60% of top 20 players are melee.

I am not sure if all of the high ranked melees are resistant build, but it shows that among the top players melees are generally higher ranked than ranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.