Do you think a 50% cap on damage reduction is acceptable for dueling?

Do you think a 50% cap on damage reduction is acceptable for dueling?

• Yes. This change is absolutely needed to balance resistance dueling.

Votes: 1,125 47.3%
  • No. This change would destroy dueling and unfairly singles out resistance duelers.

Votes: 494 20.8%
  • No. I agree a change was needed, but a 50% cap is excessive.

Votes: 488 20.5%
  • Undecided. It doesn't affect me because I don't duel and don't get dueled.

Votes: 272 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

i do agree that something needed to be done, but this is excessive. i really don't want opposition to this possible change to cause the devs to change their minds, but it also wouldn't be fair for them to implement a cap of 50%. i think that a damage reduction limit of 85% would be sufficient, because as you add more skill points to resistance skills, the effectiveness of each new point decreases. the major problem with resistance was that both skills were used no matter what type of weapon the opponent had, however this is a unique property of resistance that should not be removed. the cap is one way of solving it, however it favors half resistance duelers too heavily, as they aren't affect by neither the cap on damage nor resistance. maybe the effectiveness of each point in resistance could be reduced slightly, so that all resistance is limited. this way it will still be possible for resistance duelers to heavily reduce the damage they take, but it will require more skills. the fact that both resistance skills are used would even out the effects of a reduction of effectiveness, and make the playing field more fair. a reduction of effectiveness to 90-85% would work well i think.

DeletedUser

50% seems a bit too much but unless someone comes up with a better idea I think devs so implement this change.

DeletedUser

Maybe I'm a bit thick, but I really don't see the big deal.
Both reflex and toughness are affected. If one was favoured over the other, then people would have something to complain about.
If your reflexes and toughness are so bloated that you've neglected the other dueling skills, then you're not out dueling. You're waiting to be dueled and hoping to win by having the least amount of damage done.

DeletedUser

Maybe I'm a bit thick, but I really don't see the big deal.
Both reflex and toughness are affected. If one was favoured over the other, then people would have something to complain about.
If your reflexes and toughness are so bloated that you've neglected the other dueling skills, then you're not out dueling. You're waiting to be dueled and hoping to win by having the least amount of damage done.

i dont know what your talking about. i go attack people with a resistance build all the time, and do just fine.

im not sure how familiar you are with resisatnce build but its generaly accepted that to pull of resistance you cant waiste skill points in dodge

DeletedUser13020

Yup, resistance builds are made specifically for goin out and dueling. since toughness and reflex kinda suck for jobs.

DeletedUser

I voted for option B:
No. This change would destroy dueling and unfairly singles out resistance duelers.

Because it's true. But I could have also chosen option C:
No. I agree a change was needed, but a 50% cap is excessive.

What tipped the scale in favor of option B was that I think dueling is fine right now. Nothing needs to be done that will dramatically change a sound concept of this game. You can argue that half of this game needs changes, so dueling shouldn't be singled out. Many things need little tweaks here and there, and they should just leave it alone right now until a reasonable change is decided upon. Spending time and effort to fix those minute problems shouldn't be the devs concern right now. They should finish the forts because at the rate they are going, can we expect forts to be 100% complete before 2010?

However, I do think that eventually, changes should be made to dueling and not just to the resistance aspect so dueling will be perfected. If the devs want to change resistance, any sort of cap is not the way to go. I believe they should reconfigure the damage formula so that resistance correlates much more accurately to shooting/vigor levels. That's what I think should be the change to resistance if anything, not a cap.

DeletedUser14280

I picked option C, myself.
I think a minimum of 20%, or maybe 10% would be best.

Then, in a duel, 10 points might be lowered to 2 points, 50 would become 10, etc.

DeletedUser

DEVs! Please do not listen to these people (just as you always have not :p) and pump that delicious update into the game ASAP :D

DeletedUser14280

DEVs! Please do not listen to these people (just as you always have not :p) and pump that delicious update into the game ASAP :D
I suspect sarcasm...

Oh, and check your sig? It's nice, but I think it breaks one of the rules.

In all seriousness, more than 2/3 of the voters so far think that this shouldn't be done.
Even if I thought it was the right thing to do, making such a change when half of the forum is against it, would be foolhardy.

DeletedUser

Indeed. 2/3 think the change is the wrong thing to do, but also 2/3 think something must be done about the imbalance of resistance builds. Option #3 FTW!

DeletedUser14280

I'll refer you to what I said a moment ago:
I think a minimum of 20%, or maybe 10% would be best.

Then, in a duel, 10 points might be lowered to 2 points, 50 would become 10, etc.
Just to clarify, I mean that if you have a full on resistance build, you would only take 10% or 20% of the damage that you would take if you had no defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

i like hotnsexys idea of simplifying and redoing the damage formula, makes it more even but still makes it totaly viable

DeletedUser13636

First it was the motivation and now we are going to be restricted as to how well we defend ourselves in a duel. I am not a resistance dueler myself, but even I have a problem with this change.

DeletedUser

Wouldn't surprise me if the devs decide to reverse this change and tell everyone it was a longtime ignored "bug" ;) lol

DeletedUser14280

Why do the devs follow this pattern anyway?
They do something, half the forum raises a stink about it, they change it back.

DeletedUser

This reminds me of the planned change to construction awhile back. The devs did listen and did not make the change. I am hoping that will happen here.

DeletedUser14006

I am not 100% sure as I did not read anything on the forums at the time, probably before I started but I think I remember someone saying once they were going to change the sum of five skill requirements so that instead of CONSTRUCTION X3 + Repairing + Leadership it was going to be CONSTRUCTION X2 + Repairing + Leadership + another skill

DeletedUser14280

For that to happen there'd need to be a few more construction based jobs.
And builders would need to get even higher level to finish their towns.

Think about that second one. Where would that leave the small towns, compared to the big, already finished towns?
There'd be no room for free enterprise anymore (I always wanted to say that)!

Back on topic, more people are saying that they approve of the new change, but they're still only 1/3.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Lets not hijack this thread with old news. Lets stay on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.