Dn5's video game of the week - "Fallout: New Vegas" (2010)

• Thread starter DeletedUser8950
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Fallout 2 ehh? I got one thing to say about that. I <3 Dogmeat.

DeletedUser

Yes fallout 1 and two are for pc but two of your others were for 360 so i just figured. Heavy Rain wasn't really fun at all. It was not a game it was a movie that i got to press buttons to. I borrowed it form a friend and struggled to finish it.

DeletedUser8950

New pic, leaving the sci-fi/futuristic genre, but not yet the RPG genre.

Oblivion_360.jpg

Consoles: 360, PC, and yes PS3
Players: Single
Genre: Action-RPG
Age rating: M (originally T for teen), 15+ and 16+
My rating: Teen
Average score (metacritic): 9.3
My score: 8.8
My review: Wow, this is an interesting game to pick.
I chose action-rpg, but that is generous. This game has next to no control over the story, dull characters, besides the really insane ones (despite Sean Bean being involved), a cliche plot. No big choices, when there's plenty of opportunities (Dark brotherhood quests much?) for this. This takes out my immersion of enjoying an RPG, as it's about Role-playing, and there's not a whole lot to be had.

There is a lot of classes, and a few guilds, though two-dimensional stories I'm afraid. Some new from morrowind, other's from morrowind are gone.
There is still a decent inventory system, good transit, fun fighting and such. But that's not what makes it anything above 5/10 for me.

The graphics...this is still a beautiful game, but when I first played, it, I was blown away by some of the views, particularly the water and grass. All the characters, races and enemies are realistic and well-defined. The environments, buildings, everything is amazing.

Add to that a good soundtrack, the huge world to explore, and a whole lot of quests, and this game is very good. TESV needs more story control and character development, then I can rate this game up there with the other heavyweights.

Opinions? I chose a game also available for PS3, as I had complaints about that.

DeletedUser

Here's how much I loved this game:

Summary: It's a hyped up piece of garbage.

DeletedUser8950

Here's how much I loved this game:

Summary: It's a hyped up piece of garbage.
Hyped up, maybe, but it is a very good game:razz:
Generally, the best games are the ones that aren't hyped that much. And 'sides, compared to COD 6 this game isn't really hyped up at all.

DeletedUser

Hyped up, maybe, but it is a very good game:razz:
Generally, the best games are the ones that aren't hyped that much. And 'sides, compared to COD 6 this game isn't really hyped up at all.

It's still a heap of dung.

The conversation system seen in Oblivion is a joke.
Games 10 years older have better convo systems.

The way your enemies scale with you is deeply flawed as well.
Whilst it is a good idea in theory, the execution is horrible.

I spent 40+ hours playing that game until my frustration grew too large to ignore.

I could go into a lot of detail on why the game is so much less than it claims to be, but with my 40+ hours of playtime I don't see why I should.

DeletedUser8950

The conversation system is moderate, but it's a huge improvement from morrowind, and it's ALL voice acted, which is impressive. THe fact people interact with each other is aso very cool.
Agree with the enemies levelling. If all those bandits have full daedric when your level 25, why haven't they overthrown the empire lol.

DeletedUser

Hehe, I hacked into it and played as a god. Can't really say much for the rest but, after that fun, it was boring. :p

DeletedUser8950

Well, ironically this seemed to generate more interest then Fallout 2 and Halo 3 put together have, though for negative reasons.
JAMES!! WHERE ARE YOU?! He's the one who requested oblivion lol, he can argue it's case.

DeletedUser

The conversation system is moderate, but it's a huge improvement from morrowind, and it's ALL voice acted, which is impressive. THe fact people interact with each other is aso very cool.
Agree with the enemies levelling. If all those bandits have full daedric when your level 25, why haven't they overthrown the empire lol.

Whilst the conversation system has seen huge improvements for Morrowind, they are still sub-par. Let me once again point to games 10 years older with superior conversation systems.

As for it all being voice acted; once again the intentions are good, yet
the execution is still mediocre. Just look at the bloody start of the game, and whom dies for Onions sake!

(I shall not even start with all those beggars talking like nobles and vica versa).

Don't even get me started on how people interact with each other...

Hehe, I hacked into it and played as a god. Can't really say much for the rest but, after that fun, it was boring. :p

Odd that. :p

DeletedUser

Oblivions rocked. Simple.

Lots of choices. Big plus. I can be an archer, a thief, a warrior, a battlemage, a regular mage, a healer mage, a barbarian. You can also customize your class, and with how I did it, I came out with interesting character combinations. I made a death knight in one play through who was a powerhouse who used destructive spells to damage his enemys armor/health. I made an assassin who could use invisibility spells to come up and kill you from behind in one hit, even IF your in ebony armor (no one hit kills fighting a fully daedric armored character :sad:).

The guilds, they each have there own history and depth. The Mage Guild isn't simply a place mages go to to sling spells. They go there to learn magic, to have comrades in arms who understand them, and to learn knowledge. Though some of the storys sucked (The Dark Brotherhood. Your ending sucked. Terribly), they still are fun little side quests. I espically loved the Fighters Guild and the Thieves Guild questline.

The story? Epic. I loved it. I was honestly sad when Martin sacrificed himself to save Tamriel. Once you get into it, even though every character sounds alike, you can honestly make friends. Martin, Jaufree, Baurus, The Gray Fox, each of these characters I felt came to LIFE!!! Even the Arena Fan who you wanted to decapitate everytime he respawned to annoy you felt alive.

The armor and weapons? Ill. I loved the sytem. They were nice. However, I hated the helmets. They felt really ugly and I hated to wear them. Except the Daedric helm. It was epic.

The leveling system? For the character, they were ill. For the bandits and stuff, not so much. Bandits were made to be BANDITS!!! They don't have access to freakin' daedric and glass armor. They don't have millions of gold to spend like I do because Im a BA adventurer.

While I'm talking about enemys, they were cool. They were fun to fight and they looked awsome. I loved fighting liches and the undead. Those made my day. They however, didn't prove much of a challenge. Unless you were on the hardest difficulty. When they were hitting 400 every attack and it was overkill. On you.

The additional content? Very nice. I loved Sheogorath in The Shivering Isles. He was one funny dude. Buy the extra content if you have Oblivion because talking to him is hilarious.

The voice talent? Nice. I just hated that everytime I talked to an Orc was that they sounded THE SAME AS A NORD!!!! COME ON!!!!! If you can get people to voice an Orc, get somebody else to voice the Nord. Come on Bethesda.

The music? Ill. I don't need to explain it. Listen to it yourself and you'll agree.

The visuals? Like art. It's awsome. I could stare out from Dive Rock and look at Tamriel forever.

My rating? I gave it a 9/10. Some of the game parts sucked, some of em ruled. I loved the game. I also loved it's predecessors. They were epic. The game should be called the Epic Scrolls because thats what the game is. Epic.

DeletedUser

I liked Oblivion. It was fun i picked up the game of the year version for 20 bucks last year. The story sucked but i had already gotten far before i finished it. The sidequests are the real gem of this game. There is quite a few of these and they can take a few hours to complete. Same with guilds and all that. The best part of this game for me was the dark brotherhood quests were you assassinate people. The thieves one was pretty cool also.

DeletedUser8950

Time for a new game!

A classic, too:
108-1.jpg

Platform: Gameboy
Genre: Puzzle
Age rating: N/A
My rating: 3+
Average rating (metacritic): Couldn't find, but I'd imagine fairly high. Most the newer versions are over 80/100
My rating: 9/10
Review: There is no need to give a review, really. This game is a classic, fun, and whilst may seem simple, annoyingly difficult game.

C'mon, everyone here's played tetris, right?

DeletedUser

WHAT?!

How could you rate it a sad 9 out of 10?!

It's TETRIS for crying out loud!

10/10.

Easy.
Pure genious.
Hell, it even sparked controversial debate once upon a time. ;)

Summary: You can't go much more classic than Tetris, and it is a must play for every gamer.

DeletedUser

Tetris is a lasting classic. I can even play it today and enjoy it as much as I did when it first came out. I had a GF who wouldn't touch a video game if her life depended on it, and I had her try tetris, she became hooked (unfortunately, she became hooked on me too, so I had to cut the line *smirk*).