Dn5's video game of the week - "Fallout: New Vegas" (2010)

• Thread starter DeletedUser8950
  • Start date

DeletedUser8950

(( Mod insert: Every week a Video Game is presented for discussion. Stay On-Topic and discuss the video game of the week (as presented by the host of this thread), not just any video game. Additionally, this thread is not subject to the 10 page rule, as the topic changes periodically. ))

To add to the above, if I am absent for a long period, feel free to post in lieu of me, as JR has already been doing. -DN5

Seeing as there is a thread for music and films, and there was originally a video game thread before it died, I have decided to make one myself.

Without further ado-the original Pokemon Silver/Gold! (Pretty much same game, just different unique pokemon)

pokemon-gold-and-silver-banner.jpg

Console: Gameboy colour, but will also work on Gameboy advance
Players: Single player game, but you can multi-player battle your pokemon
Age rating: ESRB E for everyone-as ESRB are strictest, any more ratings are redundant.
My age rating: I agree there is nothing graphic and is suitable for all, though younger people may find it difficult.
My score: 9/10
My Review: This game is a classic. It has levels of fun and detail that so many games today don't, and it's on a console that fits in your hand.
I have yet to play the remakes, but I loathe remakes generally.
A very fun game that I can assure you will enjoy if you play, even if you may think it is childish-I know plenty of people who play it as a guilty pleasure.
A long, lengthy review does not suit this game at all. It's fun and generally simple, although you have to adapt your style at certain points, and there's plenty of added minigames and such-but horror of horrors, they're actually fun.
That's all I can think to say, besides play the game.
Extra info: So, i herd you liek mudkips...

Choices so far and my rating out of 10

Original pokemon silver/gold: 9/10
Mass Effect 2: 9.7/10>>Lair of the Shadow broker 10/10>>Arrival 6.5/10
Halo 3: 9.3/10
Fallout 2: 9.7/10 Review here
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: 8.8/10
Tetris: 9/10
Red dead redemption: 9.4/10 (no review-still open if somebody wants to write one)
Battlefield 1942: 8.2/10
Sid Meier's Pirates: 9.5/10
Gun: 9/10 (needs review+info!!!)
Dragon age 2: 7/10 (additional post and replies from me)
Portal: Still alive: 9/10
Kotor II: 9.5/10 (with the restored content mod)
Mass Effect 3: 8.75/10

Games chosen in my absence
Warcraft III
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl

Competitions so far

Best Strategy game
Civilisation (Silver=Company of heroes) (Bronze=Empire Earth)

Best RPG series
Fallout (Silver=Kotor (Knights of the old republic)) (Bronze=Mass effect/Diablo/Final fantasy)

Upcoming reviews

• Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • Deus Ex
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Telltale's The Walking Dead
  • Journey
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Planescape: Torment

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

Thanks for the review though Dn5.

DeletedUser8950

I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

Thanks for the review though Dn5.
Hey, Totodile disapproves.
On topic, I will have a variety, but I thought most people would be expecting me to do a Bioware game and fill the thread with that and bethesda games, but I want to do my best to keep the genres and developers varied, thus the region Pokemon is first. And it owns.

DeletedUser8950

Post in wrong thread, ignore.

DeletedUser

Yeah, I played pokemon once.

Wait, there are different versions? What the hell?

DeletedUser

Yeah, I played pokemon once.

Wait, there are different versions? What the hell?

yah I know once they left the original 180 it got stupid.

blue and yellow all the way for me.

yellow was the main story unlike blue and red it followed somewhat the story of the show.

DeletedUser

yah I know once they left the original 180 it got stupid.

blue and yellow all the way for me.

yellow was the main story unlike blue and red it followed somewhat the story of the show.

Well, I meant that they (like zelda) remade the same game over and over again, but WTF.

DeletedUser8950

Time for a new game.

I think it's pretty obvious I'm a huge bioware fan, and a huge fan of this game, so this choice will come as no suprise.
masseffect2.jpg

(Old cover, not the actual one you'll see, but this one is so much cooler.)

Platform: Xbox 360 and PC
Players: Single
Game type: Action-RPG
Age ratings: BBFC 15+ ESRB M PEGI 18+ OFLC MA 15+
My age rating: 15+
Average review score: 96
My rating: 9.7/10
My review:
Mass effect 2 is, obviously a sequel to the popular first game, which I would say is the best combination of the TPS (Third-person shooter) and RPG genres, until this game.
The plot isn't as strong as the first, and some of the RPG elements are diminished, but in every other way I can think of this game is improved. It's a more fun and challenging shooter, to the point where it's actually pretty decent just as a shooter. There's an actual ammo system in place this time.
Heavy weapons have also been added, increasing this factor.

As an RPG, people hated the invetory so much they removed it completely, a step too far in my opnion. They also severely limited armor options, although each armor now has a different model, and N7 is custmomizable. The mako was a poor system, but mining has next to no "exploration."

Those are the only complaints I can think of. It uses the import utility, allowing you to directly import your character from the first game throufh, with decisions made affecting the story.

The story in this game is still decent, the characters are full of depth, their backstories are interesting, it has replay factor. This game looks, and feels, beautiful graphically, and is very streamlined. Their is real detail in the writing and background of the game-on Omega, in the background of shops you can even see people cutting up meat.

The sheer amount of voice acting in this game is very, very impressive, especially with the import feature.

The suicide mission in the end is unlike most "suicide missions" in games-you and your whole team can die, making import to the 3rd impossible. It makes you much more careful and allows you to take it more seriously, and adds much more suspense.

This game is the best RPG Bioware have produced since KoTOR without a doubt, and is definetly worth playing, even if you aren't a fan of the shooter or RPG genres-if you like the Sci-fi genre, this and the first game are must haves. I loved it, and it's one of my favourite games.

DeletedUser

Gawd, I loved that game to death.
I kinda feel like playing it again now... :D

Great choice!

DeletedUser8950

Are me and JR really the only two to play this magnificent game?:huh:

DeletedUser

I've never played it before Dark, but you have got me interested. Is Mass Effect anything like Borderlands? Sounds alot like it being an RPG/shooter.

And if I would make a suggestion for our next game of the week, I would say Red Dead Redemption. It's only been out for about a month now, but It's an extremely good game and being a western game I'm sure that it would fit in nicely here.

DeletedUser8950

I've never played it before Dark, but you have got me interested. Is Mass Effect anything like Borderlands? Sounds alot like it being an RPG/shooter.

And if I would make a suggestion for our next game of the week, I would say Red Dead Redemption. It's only been out for about a month now, but It's an extremely good game and being a western game I'm sure that it would fit in nicely here.
I have only played borderlands briefly, but it wasn't that similar. But yes, it is an RPG shooter.:)
I was thinking of that, but I'm torn between it and fallout 2. I might go with Red Dead simply as everything so far has been more RPG oriented, where as Red dead is much more shooter, and is related to the western theme of this site anyway.

DeletedUser

OMG!

Do Fallout 2 seriously.
Best game in the history of gaming.
Hands down.

DeletedUser8950

OMG!

Do Fallout 2 seriously.
Best game in the history of gaming.
Hands down.
Hahah. Thought you may say that. It also gets brownie points for having Dirty Harry's "do you feel lucky" speech as the description for the magnum ingame :p
'tis a very good game, but I'm torn. I may ignore all suggestions and choose something different.

DeletedUser8950

I'll be busy tommorow, so one day early, diverting from the RPG genre but not the sci-fi theme:

halo3boxart.jpg

Platform: Xbox 360
Players: Up to four player co-op story, more so online
Game type: FPS (First-person shooter)
Age ratings: BBFC 15+ ESRB M PEGI 16+ OFLC MA 15+
My age rating: 15+
Average review score (metacritic): 94
My rating: 9.3/10
My review:

Halo 2 was, for me, a dissapointment in many ways. The story was weaker. Vechile-based combat was more dull. The graphics were over-bumped opposed to improved, and there were plenty of plot holes and other failing points.
I still enjoyed the game a great deal, and whilst duel wielding was unbalanced, it was still a good addition. I was really hoping Halo 3 could improve on Halo 2, and I wasn't dissapointed.
The graphics were, and still are, pretty damn good. Duel wielding is balanced. The brutes, who seemed out of place compared to the other covenant species, were developed more and given a more fitting appearance. More weapons were added, and weapons were balanced.
The story ended in a satisfactory manner, whilst leaving room for development, and each level was unique and didn't feel too long or too short.
Customizable spartans is interesting and makes achievements worth getting, besides being able to display your l337ness. Whilst I was dissapointed the armor pieces gave no bonuses, it was still a good move.
But more important-this game is very fun! Sure, the brute chopper is slightly out of place and quite OP, but it's fun as hell to drive. Splattering somebody in a mongoose, of all things, is priceless. A firebomb can wreak all sorts of havock.
I could go on, but I think I've rambled enough. This game is just as good as the first of the series, albeit more weapons, vechiles and improved graphics. If you're a fan of shooters or sci-fi's, don't miss this one out.

DeletedUser8950

Either nobody's played the game, or it's so blatantly obvious this game should've been picked, nobody's bothering to comment. I'm dissapointed.
Anyway, my next choice will be one of a few choices I have-all of which are different from my choices so far, in that they haven't generally been that well heard of

DeletedUser

Not everybody has got the 360, you should pick a game which is available for all or at least for the most platforms :)