Deny Everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Why Do Most People In This Forum Deny Everything That Isn't 100% Proven.

Y'all Don't Beleive In God, Aliens, Ghosts Etc.
I Don't Mind This.
I Do Mind You Posting That These Things Are Definately Not True.
I Do Mind You Arguing With People Who Do Beleive In These Things.
I Do Mind You Saying That Things Can't Be Real Unless You've Actually Seen Them.

I'm Guessing That Most People Haven't Seen The Egyptian Pyramids.
Probably Quite A Few Haven't Even Seen An Elephant.
You Believe In These Things.

Why?

DeletedUser

[spoil]I Do Mind Your Way of Posting.[/spoil]

There's a difference between believing in an elephant and believing in a ghost. (I'm not going to talk about religion today, not in the mood). You see, I have seen an elephant. On TV. I have read about elephants. In a book. I also saw ghosts on TV and read about them in books. But I was reading a science-fiction book when I read about ghosts. And I was watching a movie on Sci-Fi channel when I saw one on TV. I have never seen a documentary about ghosts and people interacting with them. I have only see vague pictures. Yet I have seen elephants in documentaries and I read about them in non-fiction books. And yes, I sometimes deny stuff that isn't 100% proven. But ghosts are 0.00001% proven. And elephants are 99%

That's why I believe in elephants and not in ghosts.

DeletedUser

You Get Non Fiction Books About Ghosts And Documentaries Too.
I Respect Your Right To Not Believe In Them But I Get Kinda Annoyed When People Post Stuff Like "Why Do People Beleive In Ghosts With No Proof?"
This Thread Is Really A Retaliation To That Kind Of Post.

Wouldn't It Be Cool If Elephants Turned Out Not To Exist?

DeletedUser

I Don't Mind This.
I Do Mind You Saying That Things Can't Be Real Unless You've Actually Seen Them.

Why?

I completely agree. Beliefs should be kept out of the forum completely. That means no daily gospel and no onion. I dislike Godsquaders pedalling their rubbish and I am disappointed of the childish way in which people have responded by creating their own religion in a Pythonesque parody. This isn't the place for that IMHO regardless of my personal views.

Your argument vis a vis Pyramids and Elephants, however, is the most ridiculous one I have ever encountered on this forum and that is a pretty low bar to be sure. :blink:

DeletedUser

I Don't Mind This.

Get over it.

Again, get over it. It takes two to tango. No one is forcing believers to argue with non-believers. No one is forcing you to read posts either for or against belief in a "God" or set of gods.

I doubt that many people actually say this. What they do say is that unless there is positive evidence of a "God" or set of gods, that they should be treated as any other entity or set of entities that we have no positive evidence for...such as Santa, the Great Marshmallow, invisible purple dragons doing the tango on my forehead, etc....

Neither elephants nor the Egyptian Pyramids are anywhere near the scale of ridiculousness that a "God" or set of gods are. Make a valid comparison. Compare them to things like pink unicorns, leprechauns, fairies and the like. Then you will have your answer.

Why are you asking if you don't want to hear the answer?

You Get Non Fiction Books About Ghosts And Documentaries Too.

Er...you know that there is a difference between a work that is deliberately created as entertainment and not supposed to be true (fiction), a work that might have been created to be factual but is false (false non-fiction) and a work that was both created to be factual and is true (true non-fiction).

I Respect Your Right To Not Believe In Them But I Get Kinda Annoyed When People Post Stuff Like "Why Do People Beleive In Ghosts With No Proof?"
This Thread Is Really A Retaliation To That Kind Of Post.

Then don't read those threads. No one is forcing you.

Wouldn't It Be Cool If Elephants Turned Out Not To Exist?

Wouldn't it be cool if the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster, intelligent mushrooms living in a cave somewhere on Mars and Zeus exist?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Deny? First off, nothing is 100% proven, however there is sufficient evidence for us to apply common sense and readily determine whether something is valid or invalid.

Fred, your problem here is in confusing things as belief in things and belief in the denial of things. These are irrational dichotomies. Why? Because they are both beliefs.

I don't "believe." I don't believe in a God. that does not translate to mean I believe there is no God. It merely means God is a facet of belief, and I am unwilling to cling to unsubstantiated fantastical stories that go well beyond the realm of reason and scientific plausibility.

I do mind you posting that these things are definitely true.
I do mind you arguing with people who do not believe in these things.

So, what's your point?

That's not what most of us argue. It's your convenient reinterpretation, but it's not the argument.

See, that's the problem here. It's not belief. Evidence can be, and has been, presented on the existence of the pyramids. My friend visited them. There are modern documentaries, photos and videos of them. It's not some fantastical unsubstantiated notion allegorically written in a book written by men almost 2000 years ago, about events they allege happened hundreds, even thousands of years before they were born.

As to elephants, yep, I've seen and touched em. But, again, it falls into the same category as the pyramids, in that evidence can be, and has been, presented as to their existence.

So, simply stated, you can opt to believe unsubstantiated, even unfounded, fantastical stories written by long dead, bronze age (i.e., primitive) tribesmen, or you can examine available evidence on what is presently before us.

The problem I have with belief is simple. In most cases it's wishful thinking, shared fantasies that take the harshness of reality and sugarcoat it, turning it into something palatable.

Frankly, I prefer to wake up every morning to a hot cup of unsweetened reality.

DeletedUser10480

Again, Hellstrom gets his epistemology wrong.

In order to assert that "nothing is absolutely proven" he accepts the axiomatic concept of proof as a primary. He believes in proof as a self contradictory concept. In other words, Hellstrom accepts the validity of some kind of proof in his attempt to oppose the possibility of proof.

Most any 2nd year philosophy student would have this fallacy set excised from their mentality by now. Not him though.

As for 'God'. There is such a thing as a "Critical Atheist". A Critical Atheist is one who claims to know that no god exists as so described. For example, if someone claims that the word, 'god', refers to the entity that made the moon turn into gouda cheese last monday and I prove that the moon is not composed of cheese then they can claim that no god exists, according to the description of the attributes given to this 'god'.

DeletedUser

Again, Hellstrom gets his epistemology wrong.

In order to assert that "nothing is absolutely proven" he accepts the axiomatic concept of proof as a primary. He believes in proof as a self contradictory concept. In other words, Hellstrom accepts the validity of some kind of proof in his attempt to oppose the possibility of proof.

Most any 2nd year philosophy student would have this fallacy set excised from their mentality by now. Not him though.
Maybe you should have completed your third year. Excising anything from one's mentality is an abhorrent notion in philosophical studies. Anyhow, you claim a misnomer, as absolutism, which is the basis for absolute proof and not proof or contra-proof as the basis, is a debated issue unrelated to these discussions. "100% proven" is an absolute. I merely pointed out a flaw in his OP and then moved on, to address the topic.

DeletedUser10480

Sorry there, buddy. When I'm not banned from speaking in this public forum designed for members maybe you'll come back and agree to disagree.

The presumption of proof while relying on the validity of proof is a valid question.

of course, Everything you post runs freelance with 'proof'.

NEXT I AM WAITING FOR YOU TO PROPOSE THAT EVOLUTION IS NOT REAL?

Maybe the world is 4,000 years old.? Is that your position?

DeletedUser2676

Believe everything until it's proven otherwise :laugh:

It would be nice to follow that rule...no? :p

DeletedUser

I Don't Mind This.

Why?

Well Fredigar, I like your curiosity and appreciate you for asking.
I believe in Jesus Christ (maybe avoid religion here).

I and everyone in here for sure needs something to believe in because they need something to hold on to. Something that will stay constant and not change (to them at least). Maybe their girlfriends, money, clothes, songs, and cultures. Life is so full of change and people take comfort in knowing that thing they believe in will never change.

Ghost might exist if you believe in them. When you open your mind to them, they will come to you... everything becomes real.

There are people that say " they have seen Ghosts"

Here is story of one girl that believe in Ghosts!

My mom lives out in the country and one night my family was visiting, so I had to sleep in the living room. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a little boy in a sailor outfit in the window. He wasn't scary looking, but the fact he was there was unnerving. Was he watching us? Then years later, maybe 10 years, when my sister and I were visiting, we were out on the deck talking with my mom and stepdad and the topic of ghosts came up. My mom said there has always been something strange about my sister's presence. She could always feel something was odd. Anyway, my sister admitted to having seen a little sailor boy in her bedroom window. I have chills even now as I write this because I never spoke of that little boy...

Another time at my mom's, I was lying in my bed reading a book. I heard the sound when it started, and it was very familiar to me. It was a musical mug I had gotten for Valentine's day. It started playing a song when you picked it up only and it would stop a little while after you put it back down. So, I heard the song at first while I was reading and for a few seconds it didn't register what it was. Then I realized it was that cup and no one was in the room with me. Very eerie - my back turned and this cup is singing behind me. Like a slow music box tune. I turned around and no one was there but the song was still playing...

I have so many of these stories I could sit here and type all night long. All the musical toys going in my neice and nephew's bedroom when no one had been in there, coming home and your house is all lit up when you had no lights on, the thermostat being at 50 when you wake up in the morning, the closet light on after you just turned it off twice, the creaking of doors after you open them and they shut, the slam of a door in the back of the house when you are the only one home, the lights coming on when the bulbs are burned out, hearing someone walking down the hall, feeling someone behind you and you get that scared feeling that someone is there and they are getting closer...

When you open your mind to them, they will come to you...

Have you ever KNOWN that you put something somewhere, but when you went back to get it, it was somewhere else??? Think about that...

So, what i am trying to say is that you dont need proves to believe in something you never seen. Ghost might exist!:huh: BELIEVE IT OR NOT!

DeletedUser2676

Here is story of one girl that believe in Ghosts!

My mom lives out in the country and one night my family was visiting, so I had to sleep in the living room. I woke up in the middle of the night and saw a little boy in a sailor outfit in the window. He wasn't scary looking, but the fact he was there was unnerving. Was he watching us? Then years later, maybe 10 years, when my sister and I were visiting, we were out on the deck talking with my mom and stepdad and the topic of ghosts came up. My mom said there has always been something strange about my sister's presence. She could always feel something was odd. Anyway, my sister admitted to having seen a little sailor boy in her bedroom window. I have chills even now as I write this because I never spoke of that little boy...

I don't get it at all, how does that qualify as a ghost? :| It could be just someone in a sailor uniform, since that person's standing near the house, both of them saw it....it would have been different if one of them saw it and the other didn't :eek:hmy:

DeletedUser

I don't get it at all, how does that qualify as a ghost? :| It could be just someone in a sailor uniform, since that person's standing near the house, both of them saw it....it would have been different if one of them saw it and the other didn't :eek:hmy:

:eek:hmy: God!

Sailor Uniform! I dont think so Lol, yes both of them saw it and in different times. If you kept reading, that girl didn't see one ghost but many of them.
... bad spirit or ghosts living ....

dunno exactly but I believe they are bad spirits. I belive in Jesus Christ and the bible stories. I know the bibles says, everyone that is dead is dead. They will awake when Christ comes back to this world again. But the bible mentions good spirits and bad spirits. They do really exist.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT!:blink:

DeletedUser

Ghost might exist if you believe in them. When you open your mind to them, they will come to you... everything becomes real.

Does it become real, or become a belief.

If I open my mind to the possibility that my wallet is filled with fifties, do I become rich?

DeletedUser

Then the answer is no, you will not become rich. I will. For in a battle of beliefs, I believe I would pick your pocket, take your wallet and your cash, leaving you penniless. While the wallet would be yours, it would not be in your possession. ;)

Such is the state of beliefs: Whatever opportunes, becomes the dominant belief.

DeletedUser

Er...you do realize the question was for AG as a logical extension of her statement, "Ghost might exist if you believe in them. When you open your mind to them, they will come to you... everything becomes real." You may suffer from quite a few delusions, but I never believed that this was one of them.

And, I believe that I will easily catch you for stealing my wallet, take the money back, chop off your hands as retribution and leave you with an over-sized wallet as a hat. Therefore, I am still rich and you look quite silly.

DeletedUser

Hehe, yeah I know it was directed at AG, just figured I would have a bit of fun with all this "believing" silliness.

Oh and, "Whatever opportunes, becomes the dominant belief." ;)

DeletedUser

Does it become real, or become a belief.

If I open my mind to the possibility that my wallet is filled with fifties, do I become rich?

YES you will:cool:

Whatever you believe becomes your reality. BELIEVE IT OR NOT! It happens everyday. I have a friends and it is proven fact.
If you believe you can’t afford something, it becomes real. Your limited negative thinking will actually repel money. You’ll become sooo focused on staying inside that budget that you'll miss golden opportunities. Then you’ll start to believe that not only can’t you afford something, but you shouldn’t have it or don’t deserve it. Your world will actually start to shrink from your limited believe.

If you leave your options open, things can change and money can show up from an unexpected source. It’s the power of positive thinking and the law of attraction. It amazes me still, but I see it work in my life regularly.

Be careful with your believes and thoughts! Money is not everything ...dont believe in it completely.

If you want this change to happen to you then i can give you some simple steps. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.