Count to 00,000

DeletedUser31931

You can't just determine it on a level of maturity, however, because if you do not educate someone because of their lack of maturity, then it may well become a repeating cycle where they do not learn as they are not mature enough, but because they are not taught they do not mature (and so on).

Also in certain circumstances they are going to be able to something anyway, maturity be stuffed, so it makes sense for you to teach them based on age. Are the people in my age group the most mature group of human beings to exist? No, most certainly not, however, they should still be given the teaching because it may mean that they show maturity in that subject matter if nothing else. (Sex-Ed that is)

Last edited by a moderator:

Apelatia

If only that they were left ignorant of the whole idea until adulthood dawned upon them... But that is not possible in today's culture, what with how much of the music industry is, among other prominent things...

DeletedUser13682

*yawn*

I mean maturity not in the general actions and decision making processes and responses to stimui, along wiht general views of the world and how it works. What I mean by maturity, in this case, is the ability to understand and comprehend what is being taught to you. It makes no sense to teach sexual education courses to a toddler; they won't grok a thing. It's already too late to teach a 20 something the stuff; they'll probably have already done it! Early puberty would probably be the best time to educate, which generally happens over a wide variety of ages, though I guess it would be alright to get a mean age for puberty where it would be best to teach sexual education to the people.

DeletedUser31931

Again Apel, it's not even the state of the music industry or anything else to blame. We live in a digitized world, the great freedom of the internet it also it's greatest curse. Almost all information is available to almost anyone anywhere (although some of it will get you on a watch-list), but even then, people are always going to experiment, we have parts of our body and it is part of our culture as human beings (just as animals in general) that we know what to do with them instinctively, the people in my age group who will procreate before the age of consent, they're not doing it because the music industry told them to, they're not doing it because the internet told them to, neither of those things did and they wouldn't listen anyway, instead they do it because it is what seems natural to them and is both a sign of love and also a status symbol, and you can blame that on the music industry and whatever else you want as much as you like, but it'd be the case anyway, whether you like it or not. The question is no longer "What can we do to stop it?" Because you can't, teenagers are resourceful people and if you treat them like a human being they will act as such and you will be unable to stop them and so the question instead becomes "What can we do to make things as safe as possible?" and the answer there lies, as it often does, with education. If we teach people about the world, they are much better equipped to deal with it when they finally reach it. To deny someone that education is to deny them the basic abilities of critical reasoning and independent thought, as without that education they have no basic comparators, or at least that's my belief.

I do love to wax philosophical and ethical sometimes. What're your thoughts on the issue tiger?

EDIT: Also I hadn't seen your post when I wrote this johann, so a quick response before I grab some sleep: That's entirely what the point that my post was making as well, I'm glad that we are in agreement on this issue.

DeletedUser

My thoughts Zem? I agree that education and general awareness is the key. Trying to just ignore it is both ineffective and patronising. A kid need only look at animals mating (whether it be IRL or on a nature documentary) to see sex, so what's the point in trying to ignore it. I would also add in that there should be a general widespread sex ed age, probably during early teenage years, but if a child asks about it beforehand then I would think it would be important to answer their questions rather than just shun the child.

Apelatia

To deny that the music industry has an impact on many people's lives is, I believe, a false sentiment. I said, 'among other prominent things', so you don't need to lecture me.

I am in agreement that nowadays, it's nigh on impossible to restrict the information that can become available to teenagers, and so perhaps sex education is a good thing.

I do think that maturity is an issue though. Those that are mature in their thinking are a lot more likely to think before they act. ;)

DeletedUser36559

I agree with apelatia here sex ed is a good thing as teenagers need to learn about it and all the consequences associated with it. Each child should be given sex ed and only information which is appropriate for their age. It prepares them for life and also protects them from other dangers. It has been proven time and time again teens who are taught abstinence are much more likely to experiment which increases the risk of pregnancies, STDs, abortions. Abstinence will only lead to ignorance.

“I am convinced we don’t live in a generation of bad kids. We live in a generation of kids who know too much too soon.”

DeletedUser31931

I'd just like to disagree with your last statement Micky. Your quote is wrong in my opinion, because it's not a case that children know too much, it's that they learn only one side of the coin, example: They learn that sex and STDs exists, however, they do not learn about how STDs can be transmitted in various ways and the failsafes to protect yourself and the importance of seeing a doctor as soon as you think something is wrong (Or even if you don't but you think there could be a possibility due to a number of reasons (too graphic reasons to go into detail here)). If something like that happens then you run into problems, not because they know too much about sex, but because they don't know enough about the dangers of sex and how to deal with sex and most importantly what sex means in terms of relationships and also the dangers it presents. One of the things I think that ought to be given much more teaching on with consideration to sex is the way that it can fundamentally change the dynamic of a relationship, mainly because (when simplified) relationships can be split up into two categories, sexual and platonic and the difference between the two is massive in terms of how the function, and not enough is taught to teens about how sexual relationships differ and this can lead to problems because up until this point in their life they have only experienced platonic relationships and then when everything changes they aren't entirely ready.

DeletedUser31931

And after their brief period of intense debate, the forum settles down into the lull of counting once more...

DeletedUser28032

I know and I didn't even get chance to kill the conversation by saying "Why don't we make this a D&D topic?"

DeletedUser31931

I know why we shouldn't, because unfortunately, the D&D topic will kill the conversation all by itself. If we were going to have a true D&D section then we'd need a lot more active members for it to be worth anything.