Community Reports Discussion

• Thread starter DeletedUser8627
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I like the idea of the bodyguard, but not this concept.

Why couldn't other players within the same duel range not be hired instead and paid a fee. That way, if you have a hard core dueller as your bodyguard, the attacker would not know and would end up duelling them instead - a much more interesting encounter - as that will then add an element of surprise and risk to duelling again. It could be setup so that you both have to be in the same county for it to work?

DeletedUser8627

Before everyone shoots down the bodyquard idea, or any topic in the CR, these are ideas and raw concepts that are being looked into. Doesn't mean that what you see there is final and will be placed into the game.

The idea of the CR reports is to provide the communities with feedback on what's actually happening internally and in turn get your feedback on what is being discussed by InnoGames.

DeletedUser34315

I like the idea of a bodyguard. It's nice to see a viable way for duelers to still have lots of targets and non-duelers to avoid getting dueled .

DeletedUser

It's just a little...dunno...strange that the idea of the bodyguard is someone with your own skills. Surely the concept should be more about picking the person with the best skills to be your bodyguard?!?

But yeah, overall the idea sounds damned good.

To prevent abuse, can the 'bodyguarding' be limited? By this I mean, you can't be someone else's bodyguard if you already bodyguard someone. IE only one bodyguard per player, and only 1 player per bodyguard.

delldell56

yeah, i am with supra in this. why would i hire a bodyguard that has the same (weak) dueling skils like me? remember when britney spears was young and still a star, she had a bodyguard that was like twice as tall and trice as wide. presidents and other people normally hire bodyguards that are taller and huge enough to form a wall around them, not guys that look like peter parker before a spider bit him or steve rogers before captain america. it's not criticism, just...something realistic. if you hire a bodyguard, it would be someone trained, armed and scary. this concept, the way i see it, is more like we are hiring a punchbag rather than a real bodyguard. hell, with the concept as it is presented now, i prefer to save my money and keep sending helenback and canufeelit to ko my duelers. they do it for free and for fun. oh, and they normally are highly skilled as duelers :p

the idea sounds nice but, really, a bodyguard should be someone able to protect the player who hired them, not just someone to take the punching for them. if not, would be easier and cheaper to go back to the times when we would crash someone with dueling skills to gain a ko protection. just saying.

DeletedUser34781

i like the idea of hidden bodyguards who are hired because lets face it they have duel skills.. not mirror your own when you are not duel skilled. imagine a so called good dueler thinks oh i'll duel this guy working and boom gets owned by the bodyguard.. awesome idea.

as far as concept goes im sure ive seen in many west movies where someone gets challenged to a duel but gets another man/woman to take their place as they suck.. would be ideal for non- duelers/ workers etc. having said that you would need to pay a premium.. like energy or automation.. 50 nuggets sound ok to me in theory for 2 weeks protection. and all those those dont use nuggets.. they 15 free would help in that. like twista said its just ideas and reactions.. dont shoot them down because of lack of imagination on your parts :)

DeletedUser30224

Don't know, the wording is quite confusing. They say that they decided on the bodyguard system but then didn't implement it because "dueling the bodyguard of a player is a very different gameplay as dueling the player and it would take away some strategic teamwork like raiding a town and just KOing everyone". While I agree with the bodyguard suggestion, I do not agree with the presented implementation at all.

Sure it would be fun to have choose a dueller to be your bodyguard while you work or are respecced to jobbing, maybe put a little armour on your name so that people know that you are made of tougher stuff than butter. But as everyone else agrees, the bodyguard should be a duel master ;)

Also did you get this: "We had a long discussion about how to save players from being dueled if they don't want to be dueled without taking away too many targets of the duelists who chose this direction for their character development. With this concept all players could be dueled, no matter if they belong to a town or not." That is gibberish to me :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34767

Duel protection

We had a long discussion about how to save players from being dueled if they don't want to be dueled without taking away too many targets of the duelists who chose this direction for their character development. With this concept all players could be dueled, no matter if they belong to a town or not. For us this is a good step because we don't want players who are member of a town to have a disadvantage that townless players don't have.

O.K. Not really fond of this idea, but as I am in a town by choice, it will not really change my play at all. If this does get implemented there needs to be some sort of protection for brand new players as the game does not really need townless newbies being hit in the first 48 hours they are in the game and have not even chosen a character class, a craft or even have acquired any gear beyond the starter items. Whether this is a certain number of hours or a level limit would be up to the developers. If they join a town, they are fair game just like any other player in a town.

Also we thought it might be worth a try to let players not only duel in a specific duel level range but on top of that, all players that have a higher dueling level.

Not sure why there was an upper limit anyway, but this should be o.k. May bug some high duel level players who were out of the range of most duelers, but if all the townless players are going to be fair game, then I don't see why high duel level players need a pass.

So how can players protect themselves from being dueled? Dueling is an important part of The West and also something that players should not be able to avoid without a noticeable disadvantage. We chose the Bodyguard system that many players have suggested already as well as a solution for duel protection. Bodyguards can be hired only by town members and will fight all duels instead of your character. As long as your character is under the protection of the bodyguard you won't lose any HP from duels. The bodyguards stats are a mirror of your stats and equipment so that he will always be exactly as strong as your own character. Activating the bodyguard brings a couple of disadvantages though. First, he will take 25% of all the money you make while playing as a fee. Furthermore, the money you lose for paying the bodyguard has to be at least $500 a week. This means that you have to play actively that you make at least $2000 a week in order to be able to pay the bodyguard (All numbers are of course just examples and not final yet). Also the bodyguard would go away and be blocked for a few weeks if you start a duel while the bodyguard is active. While we do like the general idea, we did not go further with it because dueling the bodyguard of a player is a very different gameplay as dueling the player and it would take away some strategic teamwork like raiding a town and just KOing everyone.

Don't like the bodyguard idea at all. If they do implement it, they need to come up with a plan other than having the bodyguard be the same stats / clothing as the purchaser. Put some mystery into this addition. Maybe have the option to hire a good, better or best bodyguard for increasing amounts of money. The good level would be the same stats, where the higher levels would have better duel skills.

This is probably an option I would not use anyway. Cowboy up, people. :)

DeletedUser

Or what about hiring an NPC dueler as bodyguard, and garnishyour wages according to level/skills.

For example, you can choose to pay 10% of all your in-game earnings to hire a decent bodyguard, 25% to hire a good bodyguard, 50% to hire an awesome one. Or have it cost an increasing number of nuggets (but low enough to keep it a paybale function for non-premium players).

But basically, a pay-or-tax to protect system, using NPC's so no one player can benefit more than another.

DeletedUser34546

I like the bodyguard idea, but again, not mirroring the skills. If a dueller is picking on a guy with a bible, he deserves to get surprised when the howdah wearing bodyguard steps out and blows him away.

DeletedUser30224

Or what about hiring an NPC dueler as bodyguard, and garnishyour wages according to level/skills.

For example, you can choose to pay 10% of all your in-game earnings to hire a decent bodyguard, 25% to hire a good bodyguard, 50% to hire an awesome one. Or have it cost an increasing number of nuggets (but low enough to keep it a paybale function for non-premium players).

But basically, a pay-or-tax to protect system, using NPC's so no one player can benefit more than another.

Me likes this as well.

DeletedUser

I don't like the idea of npc body guards.let the player hire a body guard from the bodyguard list which contain list of body guards around their level..and if a body guard is hired the player profile shown an icon of body guard and on clicking that the body guard player's profile will appear..and while dueling the player the attacker have to kill the body guard first..

DeletedUser

I like the idea of the bodyguard, but not this concept.

Why couldn't other players within the same duel range not be hired instead and paid a fee. That way, if you have a hard core dueller as your bodyguard, the attacker would not know and would end up duelling them instead - a much more interesting encounter - as that will then add an element of surprise and risk to duelling again. It could be setup so that you both have to be in the same county for it to work?

That sounds much better to me, and btw what if i manage to KO the bodyguard? Do i attack my intended victim or i am up against the same KOed bodyguard an hour later?

DeletedUser34546

I don't like the idea of npc body guards.let the player hire a body guard from the bodyguard list which contain list of body guards around their level..and if a body guard is hired the player profile shown an icon of body guard and on clicking that the body guard player's profile will appear..and while dueling the player the attacker have to kill the body guard first..

But, a player can be attacked without warning -- so I see no reason why a warning should be given to the attacker that they have a body guard. Make those who do the attacking, realise they might have a surprise waiting for them.

As for earlier in the thread about dueling levels etc. I still think that any lvl 120 should be able to hit any other lvl 120. But, with this setup, it would improve things. It still would improve it a lot more if ff'ing skills were mostly aim and dodge, then the FF'ers would hit back too.

DeletedUser34781

i like that idea.. 'are you sure you wish to duel this player,he/she is using a bodyguard' type of pop up... theres a first warning to the attacker.. if goes ahead with it they must like their skills and duel set up.. and if they get crushed its not like they were not warned :)

DeletedUser33353

As long as you get the win, exp points, and money/bounty the real player has.....why not? Something new to think about in the dueling game.

delldell56

oooh, kalip. just think of this from this point of view. if someone like you gets dueled, you wouldn't hire a bodyguard to avenge you, but go smack some sense into the poor fool who was stupid enough to pick you as a victim. gives you more satisfaction. why would someone with dueling skills and experience hire a bodyguard? now, if someone as sissy as me gets dueled and hires a bodyguard, why on earth would i want to hire some weak idiot who mirrors my skills, stances, gear and weapon? as neuth said, imagine the challenge's surprise when he goes after someone with a bible and finds himself chopped off in bits and pieces by someone with a howdah's. that would give me reasons to pay for someone to guard me. i can't imagine chuck norris wanting to pay some staff to keep him safe, but i can clearly see why i would pay chuck norris to keep me safe.

Snr Sarg

Meh, what a dumb idea. As a dueler on some worlds, maybe I should be able to hire a NPC hitman to duel your NPC bodyguard?

Why should my character lose HP, or get KOed, if yours doesn't.

In fact, as I don't have many fort skills, can I hire a bodyguard to do my fort battles for me too?

And then, can I hire an Adventurer to find my stuff for me

Just stupid, and as always, picking on the duellers

DeletedUser33353

oooh, kalip. just think of this from this point of view. if someone like you gets dueled, you wouldn't hire a bodyguard to avenge you, but go smack some sense into the poor fool who was stupid enough to pick you as a victim. gives you more satisfaction. why would someone with dueling skills and experience hire a bodyguard? now, if someone as sissy as me gets dueled and hires a bodyguard, why on earth would i want to hire some weak idiot who mirrors my skills, stances, gear and weapon? as neuth said, imagine the challenge's surprise when he goes after someone with a bible and finds himself chopped off in bits and pieces by someone with a howdah's. that would give me reasons to pay for someone to guard me. i can't imagine chuck norris wanting to pay some staff to keep him safe, but i can clearly see why i would pay chuck norris to keep me safe.

Just thinking of the options Senorita Dell.....we have both traveled down this road before. Dueling is stale, peeps whine about getting dueled, yada yada yada, boo hoo. At least this is an attempt of something from the devs... Bad points, of course.....but always good to see something new. As far as a bodyguard mirroring skills, well....we all know that is wrong. But better posters than I have already made that point.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34546

Meh, what a dumb idea. As a dueler on some worlds, maybe I should be able to hire a NPC hitman to duel your NPC bodyguard?

Why should my character lose HP, or get KOed, if yours doesn't.

In fact, as I don't have many fort skills, can I hire a bodyguard to do my fort battles for me too?

And then, can I hire an Adventurer to find my stuff for me

Just stupid, and as always, picking on the duellers

As a dueller, I like it. Too many duellers don't hit other duellers, and this adds an element of surprise to it, a better challenge when you are going after someone, and is a far better proposal than the previous ones about hitting 0 motivation or the arena ideas.

As for hiring an advent to find stuff for you -- many people do that already, they buy the items the advents find on the market. And you can go to a fort battle yourself already, you don't need a bodyguard for that. :)