Building a mosque near 9/11 site

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

This has cuased a huge outcry and debate across America what do you think is it part of healing and moving forward or is it perpetuating racial division and showing lack of respect to t hose who died in 9/11.

DeletedUser

I have no problem with the building of this Mosque, I can't see anyone on these forums actually opposing the building of the Mosque..

showing lack of respect to t hose who died in 9/11.

People seem to forget, or be willingly ignorant to the fact that Muslims have died on 9/11, whether in the attack, or rescue efforts.

perpetuating racial division

I COULD be wrong, but I swear I heard that the goal of the Mosque was to promote 'peace' or 'equality' or something of that sorts among all faiths.

DeletedUser

Because these people attacked due to a perceived intolerance of muslim culture. The mosque will show the muslim world that we are more accepting of their culture than jihadist propaganda and rhetoric would have them believe. There's no negotiating with those who are already terrorists and insurgents, but it will send a positive message to more moderate muslims around the world, making them less likely to support jihad.

DeletedUser16008

Don't see any problem with it at all. As usual a small minority give the rest a bad press, there is nothing wrong with 99.9% of Muslims, the sooner people realize its cause and effect that brings even the hardliners to other shores the better.

Ill probably get shot down here but do you even think 9/11 would have happened had a certain country not been messing around in the Middle East for the past 40 odd years ? and yes Muslims died there too so they are as much a victim as anyone else.

Come on its nothing to do with the religion nor is there a need to try and vilify the people who follow it. Its been like this in the past for all major religions yet they all profess to follow the same basic doctrine, so grow up your directing animosity at your own brothers

Build the Mosque I say get in the 21st century and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I can see why New Yorkers don't want the mosque there. Either way there is already a mosque close to were the towers were its either closer or 1 or 2 blocks farther away so I'm not exactly sure why this has got so much attention.

DeletedUser

I think itll bring more good than it possibly could bring bad. Theres really outcry about this?

DeletedUser

I think itll bring more good than it possibly could bring bad. Theres really outcry about this?

Yeah, people are even including it in political campaigns.

"Such and such support the Mosque, of those Muslims who killed 3,000 Americans, Don't vote!@!@!"

DeletedUser

There is already a mosque 5 blocks from ground zero as well welcomed Muslim prayers at the chapel in the pentagon 80 feet away. This mosque will bring no good and the people putting it there are doing it just to be edgy and provocative if not malicious.By all means they have the right to put it there but lets not kid ourselves into pretending they have any good intentions in mind. If someone could explain the good this would do I'm listening.

I'm not against the mosque in the same way I'm not for simply for the fact it shouldn't even be an issue. There is religious freedom in America and as long as there is no local laws in New York stopping them then they will build it.

DeletedUser13636

I think they should be able to build it. As always there will be people who decide they are not happy about this as with many other things. I wonder what the world would be like if we could actually satisfy everyone.

DeletedUser

There is already a mosque 5 blocks from ground zero as well welcomed Muslim prayers at the chapel in the pentagon 80 feet away. This mosque will bring no good and the people putting it there are doing it just to be edgy and provocative if not malicious.By all means they have the right to put it there but lets not kid ourselves into pretending they have any good intentions in mind. If someone could explain the good this would do I'm listening.

I'm not against the mosque in the same way I'm not for simply for the fact it shouldn't even be an issue. There is religious freedom in America and as long as there is no local laws in New York stopping them then they will build it.

Oh, cause I'm sure the thousands of Muslims around Ground Zero should suffice with that one place to worship their God.

The 'people', mainly Imam Rauf and his wife are known people for promoting peace. They've stated their goal is to actually have Westerns know what Muslims truly believe, and to improve Westerners ideas/relations with Muslims. The people behind the building of this Mosque have a track record of peaceful acts, what changes that now? Cause they 'intentionally' want to piss people off? Okay... :rolleyes:

This stuff is merely political bull. People who were okay with the Mosque at first, and okay with Imam Rauf and his wife, soon turned on them and the idea once the media caused such an outrage.

So, what're you assuming? They're terrorists, or they're just putting a building there to piss people off?

DeletedUser

If he is an extremist is not really the issue. While I don't think he is all that "extreme" there are situations and quotes from him that shows hes not as moderate as you say he is. He is a important individual in the Perdana group who is lead by a pretty strong anti Semite. Beyond that they donated money to a group which clashes with Israeli commandos pretty often.

I never said he was a terrorist, I never even said he was an extremist. If you honestly want to sit there and pretend that he is merely trying to unite people then by all means go ahead. In reality though they have one Mosque in the area than others could have been built slightly farther away. It doesn't hurt to have some compassion for people that lost loved ones in the attacks and build it a little farther away. If he really wanted to improve relations with Muslims in the are he would recognize that all this is doing is hurting those relations. If he truly wanted to help things he would back down and move to a site a few blocks away.

DeletedUser22575

If he is an extremist is not really the issue. While I don't think he is all that "extreme" there are situations and quotes from him that shows hes not as moderate as you say he is. He is a important individual in the Perdana group who is lead by a pretty strong anti Semite. Beyond that they donated money to a group which clashes with Israeli commandos pretty often.

I never said he was a terrorist, I never even said he was an extremist. If you honestly want to sit there and pretend that he is merely trying to unite people then by all means go ahead. In reality though they have one Mosque in the area than others could have been built slightly farther away. It doesn't hurt to have some compassion for people that lost loved ones in the attacks and build it a little farther away. If he really wanted to improve relations with Muslims in the are he would recognize that all this is doing is hurting those relations. If he truly wanted to help things he would back down and move to a site a few blocks away.

And just what does this have to do with either the US or the proposed mosque?

Take a look at who donates money to some of our politicians sometimes.

DeletedUser

Honestly, what's all this debating about?The New York Board, must want to show that USA is a country of many religions, and aswell, that they don't blame all Muslims for 9/11.The Al Khaidh are extremists who don't worship Allah, but they worship Bin Laden instead.

The Mosque is fine if it is built near 9/11, because I go to USA every year and I visit my friends in New York, and I actually prefer the Muslim New Yorkers than the others.Even though 9/11 was planned by a Muslim & carried out by Muslims, doesn't mean all Muslims are to blame.

DeletedUser22575

He has a pretty long track record of trying to unite people.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100828...uX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA2ltYW1iZWhpbmRueQ--

Where is your evidence showing otherwise?

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
s3k08m.jpg

It's going to be built in the ground zero coat factory, near the ground zero newsagents :p

Last edited:

DeletedUser

If you truly believe in freedom of religion you damn well will allow them to build near ground zero.
Some say they should build farther away.

Well, how far away is far enough away?
Any other special rules you want to apply whilst at it?

Hell, there's already a mosque in the area, and a few church according to Nashy's map. What's the big deal?

DeletedUser

Well as they have freedom of religion in USA, they shouldn't be able to stop it anyway.

DeletedUser

He's completely moderate. I'm pretty sure the general consensus of Imam Rauf and his wife, is that they promote peace, and all they're trying to do is prove that Muslims aren't all terrorists. I would love for you to prove otherwise, especially with those quotes; and no, him saying 9/11 was partly America's fault doesn't make him any more 'extreme'.

He has NO ties to Perdana actually. I know he has been invited to speak for them, cause y'know, he promotes peace, and that's what Perdana claims it does; but apart from that he has no ties with them.

I never said he was a terrorist, I never even said he was an extremist. If you honestly want to sit there and pretend that he is merely trying to unite people then by all means go ahead. In reality though they have one Mosque in the area than others could have been built slightly farther away. It doesn't hurt to have some compassion for people that lost loved ones in the attacks and build it a little farther away.

Okay, you seem to still lack the ability to figure out that hundreds of thousands of Muslims, who mind you were there BEFORE 9/11 can easily use only ONE Mosque? And seriously, what's the fricking difference between 12 and 2 blocks? People sound ridiculous on TV, when they're all like "Oh maybe a mile", or "Oh maybe 5 blocks", or "Oh 7 would be fine, it'd make me happy!" Who cares, it's in the general vicinity; I don't see everyone whining about the Mosque that's already there.

Compassion? :D
You seem to like to deny the fact that Muslims died in the attacks too. So those Muslim families are just put to the side?

Besides, I can't see how anyone's showing compassion by protesting this Mosque. Like seriously, we're America, we stand for freedom and all that. Extremists seek to destroy our system, and here we're allowing them to; by trying to deny Muslims the right to build a Mosque. So, protesting the Mosque shows compassion, because we're basically aiding the mission of the people who killed thousands of Americans. I see, I'm sure the people who died on 9/11 would love to see that.

-------------

On another note. This 'Mosque' is going to have a cultural center, or does; so it's rather like a JCC(Jewish Community Center). I used to go to one when I was little, although I was raised Catholic; I still went there to swim. Places like this have little schools, perhaps a little Temple/Mosque, swimming pools, weight rooms, etc. They also have little bulletin boards, exhibits, and little shows. So, you're basically able to bring the kids, get yourself educated on Islam, go swimming, and perhaps pray in the Mosque.

There is NO other Mosque in New York of this kind. Plus, people who are not Muslim will probably come to this place just to swim/lift weights like I did at a JCC when I was little. From there they can be educated, and people actually learn about true Muslims; rather than all of them being extremists like everyone implies.

Seems like a good way to promote Westerner-Muslim relations to me...

DeletedUser

The freedom of speech in USA should not co-incide with the fact extremists who were Muslims, but were not doing it for their God created 9/11.The Muslims have as much right as anyone else in the world to have a Religious Building to worship their God.As a matter of fact, one of my best friends who was Muslim was killed by a Heart-Attack, his family when I was at the funeral asked for a Catholic burial, because the fact their son always wanted to be Catholic, but he never really tried because he never wanted to offend his family, but one thing he did before he died, was to get planning permission for a Mosque to be built in my local town.And it was rejected seven times.Why?Because he was Muslim and he wanted a Mosque built to worship his God.After several days of debating, he himself got the permission and the funding to create Mosque.And from this day on, I took on the Board of Building it and I asked for it too be named after him.

The fact Muslims want a Mosque in NYC is a valid reason, because if you were a devout worshipper who moved to NYC for any reason would you want to not be able to go to your Mosque, because haters denied the valid reason.

DeletedUser

If you believe in the ideals of freedom of religion, then you must back the building of a mosque near ground zero by principle or you simply have no integrity.

It's easy to believe in freedom when you don't have to take the consequences of said freedom.
If freedom is a principle you believe in, then you must fight for the right of others to do things that you don't necessarily like.

Hell I'll fight for your right to believe any kind of stupid crap, and say no end of stupid things even if I'm violently opposed to it. That's what believing in freedom is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.