Books!!

DeletedUser

It;s in my to-do list, I'll probably go visit borders(U.S book store) soon and see if they have it.

Cool. Let me know what you think.
I was rather impressed myself, since my expectations were low.
The best however is that it's a finished series.

There are more books set in the same universe though.

DeletedUser

It;s in my to-do list, I'll probably go visit borders(U.S book store) soon and see if they have it.

if you are going to do borders go when there is a sale. if you have there card it will e-mail you when they have a sale if not I will let you know when a sale is.

DeletedUser

if you are going to do borders go when there is a sale. if you have there card it will e-mail you when they have a sale if not I will let you know when a sale is.

I don't usually buy the book, but rather sit there and read it. If it's really good, I'll buy it with my credit card, then return it for a full refund when I'm done reading;)

DeletedUser

I don't usually buy the book, but rather sit there and read it. If it's really good, I'll buy it with my credit card, then return it for a full refund when I'm done reading;)

hahaha Awesomely cheap.

Or you could use the local library....

DeletedUser

Seriously? lol I bought a few books a few weeks ago and came home to see that I already owned one of the books. Its sitting on the shelf next to the other one b/c I felt odd returning it. LOL

DeletedUser

hahaha Awesomely cheap.

Or you could use the local library....

LOL true :) The only sucky thing about that is if you dont live in a big town, you may have to wait for some books to be brought back or for them to get it shipped in from another library :mad:

DeletedUser

Your favourite Series? A Song of Ice and Fire - George R.R. Martin

Love it as well, and was impressed with the fact that there were no sacred cows and absolutely anyone could be killed off, but he's overdone it a bit. I'd probably agree with you on favorite series, but I just finished a new contender: K.J. Parker's Engineer Trilogy.

DeletedUser

Well, what is your favourite type of book? Fantasy but I enjoy other fiction and non-fiction as well.

Your personal favourite book? Lord Of The Rings

A series you would recommened?

I'm just going to list a lot of stuff that I've liked...

City of Thieves by David Benioff
Jim Butcher's Codex Allera series
Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire Misteries series
There is No Me Without You by Melissa Faye Green
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Anansi Boys and American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin

John Adams by David McCullough
Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney
Dune by Frank Herbert

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Ender's Game by Orson Scott
Card
Roger Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber series
Michael Moorcock's Elric series

(enough to start with)

DeletedUser

Love it as well, and was impressed with the fact that there were no sacred cows and absolutely anyone could be killed off, but he's overdone it a bit. I'd probably agree with you on favorite series, but I just finished a new contender: K.J. Parker's Engineer Trilogy.

I might have came by that one while browsing the fantasy section. Is that the one where he is some kind of shamed engineer, but he is still being asked to design how to defend a city from a siege?

DeletedUser

I might have came by that one while browsing the fantasy section. Is that the one where he is some kind of shamed engineer, but he is still being asked to design how to defend a city from a siege?

Yeah, that's book one. It might be the most original fantasy novel/series I've ever read. A few months ago I read a book by Stan Nicholls' called The Covenant Rising, which was the first book in a trilogy. One of the little blurbs made a big deal of the fact that it was written with "modern dialogue", I assume instead of the sort of pseudo Middle English of a lot of fantasy novels, but it just came off as being horribly written and anachronistic. It was so bad I had no interest in reading the rest of the trilogy, or his Orcs, which was critically acclaimed, possibly even deservingly so. The style of this series was similar, but executed so much better.

DeletedUser

Well, what is your favourite type of book? Fantasy but I enjoy other fiction and non-fiction as well.

Your personal favourite book? Lord Of The Rings

A series you would recommened?

I'm just going to list a lot of stuff that I've liked...

City of Thieves by David Benioff
Jim Butcher's Codex Allera series
Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire Misteries series
There is No Me Without You by Melissa Faye Green
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Anansi Boys and American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
John Adams by David McCullough
Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney
Dune by Frank Herbert
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Roger Zelazny's The Chronicles of Amber series
Michael Moorcock's Elric series

(enough to start with)

Did you see the time travelers wife? I heard the movie left out most of the book. Which is why I rarely go see movies made from books b/c I get mad when they leave the good stuff out

DeletedUser

Yeah, that's book one. It might be the most original fantasy novel/series I've ever read. A few months ago I read a book by Stan Nicholls' called The Covenant Rising, which was the first book in a trilogy. One of the little blurbs made a big deal of the fact that it was written with "modern dialogue", I assume instead of the sort of pseudo Middle English of a lot of fantasy novels, but it just came off as being horribly written and anachronistic. It was so bad I had no interest in reading the rest of the trilogy, or his Orcs, which was critically acclaimed, possibly even deservingly so. The style of this series was similar, but executed so much better.

Yeah, I got the hunch it was a good book from the short summary on the back, but I couldn't find it the next time it was there. Will definitely give it a try now.

DeletedUser

I keep forgetting...I wanted to put the quote that opens all three books in my sig. Doing it now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

So I started the first book in the Engineer trilogy. So far, it's been a fantastic reading(100 pages into the first book). Valense and Ziani are fascinating character(already!). Anyway, will probably continue reading it tomorrow.

DeletedUser

Hmm perhaps I should check it out as well

But first I got more Hemingway to read :p

DeletedUser

Genre: Science Fiction/Alternate History
Book: (I have one, but I can't remember it; I'm leaning towards War of the Worlds)
Series: The Inheritance Cycle
Author: (can't remember who it is)
Books I'd Recommend: