Bodyguards

DeletedUser

Mercenaries?

How about making the soldier class "mercenary" able to bodyguard other players for a player-determined cost as well? This would be a nice way for them to earn money for the protection AND the won duels (or lose money in duels), making this like a job.

DeletedUser

You run into too many problems when hiring another player to protect you. The 2 players dueling levels won't be the same leaving gaps in protection. It can also be a way to cheat. NPC bodyguards is pretty much cheat proof.

Luap, I don't know about fluctuating prices dependent upon the market. I think fixed prices is the way to go. I really want to keep it very simple.

DeletedUser

I think the market aspect makes sense; there are a limited number of people to choose from, so the more get hired, the fewer remain, and the price would tend to go up as the supply diminished. You have a point about simplicity though.

DeletedUser

Most Chinese people do not eat dogs in America (There is an exception to every rule :)).

DeletedUser

Well I'm going to bump my own thread since there is a renewed backlash against hitting workers.

DeletedUser

Should your town fighters not be bodyguards to the town builders? I dunno Deni, seems alot of work for not much. You duel builders at your own risk from other town folks.

Diggo11

Dazzy - even Dee, the passionate dueller, believes this is a rational solution. It's coming across right now that you are being far to extreme and critical. Why don't you give us some suggestions rather than picking faults in absolutely everything?

BTW I'm still fine with this. My ambitions are to protect workers from campers, nothing more, and this would solve such an issue.

DeletedUser

I'm editing my post as I completely misread the previous post.

Dazzy, you have to admit, this is a way better solution than kicking people out of hotels or making them wait to enter a hotel. It let's dueling continue as is but adds an extra challenge to duelers looking for easy prey. I'm all for giving workers a fighting chance as long as it is not overwhelmingly biased for or against duelers. After all, duelers become so because they want to kick butt, not to be sitting ducks. If they wanted that they would have become workers :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

He was saying Dazzy was being too extreme and critical, and that you believe this is a rational solution.

DeletedUser

Oh! Lol. My apologies Diggo. That is what I get for trying to read the forums with little sleep and too much rum. I think I put commas where periods were and just got it all messed up.

Anyways, Diggo we should really try to iron some of this out because I like this far better than the hotel idea, plus what worker wouldn't want to see an attacker get their butt kicked by a bodyguard.

I was also thinking that if a player hires a bodyguard there should be some sort of indicator that they have one. Also, I was thinking of workers respeccing into duelers. Might they use this option when they are first entering the dueling arena in order to shield themselves from retaliation? It was just a thought. Not sure if that would be a problem or not. If it is the only way I can think to solve that would be to put restrictions on who can hire a bodyguard. Say if your dueling level is 10 levels above character level (or some other such number) that you do not have the option.

DeletedUser

I'm editing my post as I completely misread the previous post.

Dazzy, you have to admit, this is a way better solution than kicking people out of hotels or making them wait to enter a hotel. It let's dueling continue as is but adds an extra challenge to duelers looking for easy prey. I'm all for giving workers a fighting chance as long as it is not overwhelmingly biased for or against duelers. After all, duelers become so because they want to kick butt, not to be sitting ducks. If they wanted that they would have become workers :D

But...but...but...I want easy prey! I work my ass off to be a good dueler and I demand easy XP as reward. :laugh:

Sorry Deni, don't like it. Just another Dueler handicap :sad:

DeletedUser

Not really. You'd just be fighting with someone with appropriate skills for the dueling level they are. No different from targeting a soldier or dueler. Probably easier actually since the worker can't control stance or gear the bodyguard wears. Plus, if the workers want dueling to be a more even playing field they can pay for it. Plus I'd rather give something to the workers than take away things from the duelers.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I think we should just let the workers and their townmates fend for themselves rather than complicate the game with a system like this.

DeletedUser

I like the idea even if it prolly need some balance and such to make it fit into the game.

About the price it need to scale with your lvl.

Take for example a lvl 15-20 worker will have issue to spend like 200 each day as they offen donate alot of cash to their town aswell.

Or take a lvl 80 worker 200 is so little for that person he can hire 10 wiithout any issue (if you could that is)

So the price need to scale with your lvl in some way.

I also would like to suggest that there is a price range you can choice from as example 100 200 300 400 500 where 100 is you have decent skillpoints in duel skills and 500 you have pure skill points in duel.

About the difrent types of npc well i dont see the point about that just let it be random and let the cash dicide how good it will be.

With a few change this can be a great idea

DeletedUser

The idea calls for a scale based on the players level and different price ranges for the NPC. It's all in the first post.

Diggo11

Should I be glad I only read the edited version and not the original post :p

But to be honest this would minimally impact legitimate duellers. If a dueller wants xp then go and duel another dueller; if they want cash then they go duel an adventurer. Duellers really have no need to duel workers, so it shouldn't really affect anyone except weak campers picking on workers.

DeletedUser

Better it only affect those types of players than every player. Isn't that what the hotel thread was about? Stopping those sorts of players? Not to drag that into this one but if that is the main complaint then go with an idea that solves that specific problem rather than a broader idea that is unfair to most people.