Auction House Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
good idea stkli.

nashy. In the instance you are talking about then the razor has real value because a genuine competitor is bidding, so all that really means is that the account pushing player is losing their own money to push the account rather than getting one $1 less from outside their evil ring. Seems like a bum deal for the account-pusher.

Almost everyone has 2+ computers....dunno about that maybe in Beverly Hills.

The ebay account is absolutely pertinent because in the example you give you are losing an item worth that amount. The golden crayon you auction is worth $799 to someone else in order for your brother to be able to bid it up to $800.

and don't forget if you were account pushing in this way there is a far easier way to do it with duelling.

The items don't have to be worth the bid, the items can be useless.

Auctions don't work like that, if you want to place a huge bid on a worthless item then you can. The item could be on $5 on Ebay/Ingame and the next bid can be in the thousands.

Dueling takes time, energy and HP, this doesn't.

I'm not rich, I'm lower middle class in a rough area but I have a computer, my brother wants a laptop soon, there's a family computer and my mum has one too. I could even use my PSP or Playstation to play the game. Pulling the USB out is probably the easiest option though.

What I meant by 2+ computers is that everyone has access to them, I didn't mean I expected everyone to have two computers in their room.

The account pusher is losing the worker accounts money to their main account, that's what's meant to happen. I don't know what you mean by the 1$, bidders don't take it in turns to bid a dollar at a time. :unsure:

DeletedUser1105

Have you ever bid on ebay nashy? That is how we believe this should work.

You enter a maximum bid (the highest you are prepared to pay), and ebay places bids for you.

For example, there is a watch for sale and the highest bid so far is £10. You look at the watch and decide you want to bid, and are willing to pay £20 for it.

Ebay then places a bid that is higher than the current highest bid by the minimum amount allowed, for example £11.

Now, if nobody else bids, you get the watch at £11 despite being willing to pay £20.

If someone else bids £12 though, ebay knows that you are willing to pay more, so it will bid again for instantly, a bid of £13. This keeps going until either you win the item, or someone puts in a bid that is above your highest bid.

So in your example, you might bid $800 on another accounts item, but it would only bid in increments as other people bidded. You'd only pay $800 if someone else bid $799

DeletedUser

I know others have already explained this, but I'll try my hand at it.

An item is put up for sale, with a starting bid of $1.

First bidder places a maximum bid of $150 - the current bid is $1

Second bidder places a maximum bid of $25 - the current bid is $26 (first bidder is still in the lead)

Third bidder places a maximum bid of $95 - first bidder still has it with a current bid of $96

Fourth bidder places a maximum bid of $175 - fourth bidder has it with a bid of $151

Your maximum bid is just a way of saying that it's the most you'd be willing to pay if the price goes up. The burrent bid is based on previous bids and will raise up to your maximum as more people bid, unless someone bids higher than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Ok thanks, when I've used Ebay I normally just enter the amount I want to bid over the current price (which is normally a few pence :eek:) I knew you could set a maximum bid but I didn't think that was the norm.

How about 3 accounts?

Account 1: Rubbish item
Account 2: $999
Account 3: $1000

Would that work?

There's a person near me with 5 accounts, these things are possible (it's been reported).

If there's a limit it can't be too low but it must not allow multiaccounts to bid the price up at a convenient rate.

DeletedUser1105

That is correct, your example would work for a multi accounter. It would be harder though, because he'd have to earn all that money again before they could do this again.

DeletedUser

AH...

You obviously play WoW....
Anyways its a good idea.. having a Max and Min price. When the max price is hit the item is baught out.
Max price = 10% more than sellign price to a shop
Min price = 10% less than selling price to a shop

Also to implemnt an AH you need a new town building =)
Or a new use for the post office.

Diggo11

Minimum: Shop Sell Value
Maximum: Foreign Purchase Value

Simple yet effective. Less work for the mods, more practicle and stops cheating.

DeletedUser

I like diggos the most. Why would you spend more on an auction item than you would in a store? Id understand paying a little more to avoid travel but not much more so its not a big deal.

DeletedUser

I'm not into those maximums, let me tell you why...
What i think will be the most interesting aspect are the items that you can't buy in shops. The items that are found on jobs, the flags and hernadez swords, pieces of note, talismans etc. Also you may not have access to the store items.

let me say this quietly amongst grown ups we will be able to flush out account pushers by these means. When we see simple items going for too much [or too little if you guys will agree to it] then we can point the finger with some certainty. In the same way as account pushers have recently been caught combining on duelling others will have the spotlight of the world turned upon them by their bidding actions. This is one of the main reasons i'm so in favour of this form of trading it actually makes pushing visible. Now lets keep it low key folks. Don't start a topic about it. Let it be buried in this thread. Do you get my drift cognescenti?

DeletedUser

Ulthor the problem is that if the devs is gonna use our idea then it needs to be "clean"

it should not need to be looked after by the mods every day.
if there is no max or minimun then it will be open for abuse.

i understand what you say and in a perfect world i whould like this idea to be the same way as you do.

but sins some people like to cheat so that it looks like they are better then others we will need a way to make sure that they cant use this idea to do so.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Ok 40 squares on the map, I suggest these squares are grouped into 4 and every group of 4 has it's own market place.

When items go up for auction on the market the figures should be able to be checked via a building either in town and inbedded in the game. Items that are selling go to a random marketplace (or for programming, one that is changed daily).

If the Devs can create a marketplace this is not much extra. In my opinion this combined with the anonymous trading makes it totally clean.

--------------------------------

*scratch that*

I have a new brain wave :D

If we can not check price the item is currently being bidded for until after the auction time is up then there is no way of telling which item was listed by you.

DeletedUser

well what whould the point in all this be if we are not able to see what an item cost before after we have paid for it?

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
No that's not it at all, what I meant was the seller shouldn't be able to see able to see the winning bids until the item is sold.

If we had that I think there would be enough of each item selling to making it impossible to tell if the item was put their by your other account.

DeletedUser5046

i think the lists of the bidders should be arranged from highest to lowest..ofcourse highest at the top...
so everyone will know who are the bidders

DeletedUser1105

Do you get my drift cognescenti?[/I]

Again, with the confusing words! And, to make it look 'professional' ;), see this:

Noun
cognescenti
Common misspelling of cognoscenti.

But in seriousness, you make a good point. But one of Hightower's commandments on trading ideas is that the trades must not need to be looked at to stop abuse. This would involve monitoring to spot them, even though it would make it easier to spot.

DeletedUser

/signed etc.

With this, we'll need some more 'priceless' items to get some real bidding going - other than the few named weapons we have which aren't found in stores. You might also want to put 'unauctionable' restrictions on certain quest items, like Hernando's sword and the Part 2 note(Because this one can be easily found[and given as a reward]).

Diggo11

I'm not into those maximums, let me tell you why...
What i think will be the most interesting aspect are the items that you can't buy in shops. The items that are found on jobs, the flags and hernadez swords, pieces of note, talismans etc. Also you may not have access to the store items.
Ah thats where you overlooked something really stupid.

Just repeat so you know where I'm coming from.
Minimum: Shop Sale Price
Maximum: Foreign Purchase Price

This prevents cheating with shop items right? Well this is completely workable too. You see every item can be sold for X amount. But for non shop items they can't be purchased, so there is no foreign purchase price. Therefore for these items there is NO maximum value. Works better than I thought :D

DeletedUser

If they introduce this then what exactly is the point of investing in your town buildings?
People from big towns will buy items from their towns and put them up for auction. People from little towns will buy them at more than cost but less than the 400% or whatever it is now.
It has it's good and bad points I guess but I really don't like the idea of rewarding someone simply because they belong to a big town and have access to better gear to buy and place on the market. Kinda seems like exploiting the unfortunates who don't have supermarket access. But then it also gives them access to items they could not normally get.....hmm
But back to my original point..... Who is going to build their town up if everything is now purchasable without doing it?

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
If you don't build your town up you will be constantly in dept to the big boys (and without a good town!). If everyone stops building up their town the prices will skyrocket meaning people will actually build more often for the profit.

Being in a good town isn't luck it's whether you belong to a good group of players or not, the best players make the most money it wouldn't be right any other way. You say you'll feel exploited by not having "super market access" you can add that to you list of reasons why you should build too :p

Also not everything can be bought in a store.

Go forth and build :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.