Auction House Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Noone has come up with a way to exploit this that hasn't been answered. The bidding has to be worldwide because that way there will be multiple items up and you will not know which one you are bidding on. It also need to be worldwide to get maximum value from rare items. So unless i'm missing something all objections on the grounds of account-pushing have been answered.

DeletedUser

I would make purchased items unsellable. (This doesn't include found ones) This way there will not be such numbers of "All best stuff" wearing people. Also you can sell thing unless you bought it.

DeletedUser

I would make purchased items unsellable. (This doesn't include found ones) This way there will not be such numbers of "All best stuff" wearing people. Also you can sell thing unless you bought it.

You are saying that the only things that can be put up for auction are items that haven't been bought in shops?

Yes that makes a lot of sense and overcomes some of the concerns people have about this.

Agreed

DeletedUser5046

hmmm... can we still auction some stuffs we have on our backpacks that are common?

i mean it will be for the benefit of players who wanted an instant 'lift' for their quest items but ofcourse there will be no exp gained on that matter...

and i just thought if there will be required level and skills in trading before you can be part of the auctioned item...

level 1 - 5 -> blue/grey/indian necklace

level 20 - up -> special items

DeletedUser

Ok, would this idea require another building? Like an Auction House to be unlocked?
Or would be open for use as soon as the General Store is built?
Would it available for the entire world regardless of citizenship?
Wouldn't then require an alternate menu icon to be installed on the sidebar of your play field? There is an empty slot on the right hand side (just under settings). That would be an appropriate place to put it...

Drat! If only i knew how to make screenshots (like runeneo does) then I'd create a list of what I'm envsioning...

Let's say you decide to post Beans (Product price: $6 / resale value: $3) on the auction block. According to the idea as i understand it the minimum bid would be $1???

How about the very elusive Union Flag (product price: $86 / resale value: $43). What would the minimum bid start at? What would stop the adventures from finding 20 of these and setting them to be auctioned off with starting price of $300?

DeletedUser

Noone has come up with a way to exploit this that hasn't been answered. The bidding has to be worldwide because that way there will be multiple items up and you will not know which one you are bidding on.

Actually, if you know *when* a given item will be going on the block, you can watch for it. The chances of 2 of the same item going on the block at the same instant are low, unless you have a *huge* world (as a guess I'd say > 1 million players -- just a guess though).

My idea for nerfing that advantage is to build in a random delay of, say, 1-4 hours after the time you submit your item before it hits the list. That way, you really have no way to know if that one is your one. This is fairly realistic in that it takes time IRL for things to be communicated and shared -- especially in the pre-computer era! ;)

With that adjustment, I think we've defeated the possibility of easy collusion.

DeletedUser1105

Ok, let's sum this up again with the new points on board and try to refine it:

The Problem
Many, many people are crying out for trade to be implemented, as a way of being able to buy items off other players and sell unwanted items to other players.

Other Ideas
There have been many ideas about trade on here, but none that sufficiently solve the abuse aspect. Hopefully, this one will.

The Proposal
That an 'Auction House' be implemented, allowing players to purchase items off other players.

The Set Up
The initial set up could be one of two ways:
1) It is just an inbuilt system that everyone has access to at all times or
2) It is a new building or an upgrade of the general store and must be built by a town to allow members to use the auction house.

It would be very difficult for this to work if you have to visit a specific town, so the idea is that this 'Auction House' would link to a central system that is accessible from anywhere. Anyone wishing to sell anything would drag and drop the item into the 'auction house' in their town. The item would then go into a central pool of items, visible to anyone. Anyone can then bid on any item.

Those wishing to buy would then be able to see those items and be able to place a maximum bid on them [just like ebay] The money would be taken from their account. If they were unsuccessful it would be returned.

The Auction Rules
  • No 'groups' of items, or multiple items. Each item must be an individual lot.
  • The auction would not show the name of either the seller nor the bidders. Each person would just see what the current bid was, and be able to put their own bid in.
  • Each item would have to be in the auction for 24 hours. At the end of this time (and there would be a timer for each item, to allow for last minute out-bidding) the item goes to the highest bidder.
  • Every auction would have a minimum starting price of it's sell price.
  • Items purchasable in shops would have a maximum sell price of their foreign sell price. All other items would have no maximum price.
  • Items put up for auction would be un-retractable, but items with no bids after the 24 hours would be returned to the seller's inventory.
  • The bidding system would work in the same way as ebay's, with maximum bids being used to bid on behalf of the bidders.
  • The seller would be able to set a minimum sell price.
  • Items would have a 'minimum increment' rule. For example, up to $100 you can raise the bid by a minimum of $5, but after $20000 you can only raise the bid by $250.
VISUAL AIDS

This is just my view, I am sure there are better ways.

To get to the auction house: click on 'General Store' and then the new 'Auction House' button:

The auction house:

• You can drag items into the auction house. It asks you to confirm (in the same way it would if you were selling to the general store) and also to put your minimum sale price in.
  • Each item would be in it's own category to try and ease congestion and make it easier to find what you want.
  • Each item would be in order of time remaining on the auction.
  • The main screen will show a) The current bid (Which will be in green if this bid is yours), b) The time remaining and c) Your maximum bid (in red if it has been beaten. To see/do anything else, you would click on the item.
  • You can hover over each item and see the details (as you can in the general store/gunsmith/tailor).
  • To bid, you click on the item you wish to buy. A box comes up (like the tick/cross one when you buy/sell in a store) asking you what your MAXIMUM bid is.

In the example below, you can see that the player has bid a maximum bid on the third gun but has been outbid. The red text allows you to easily identify that you have been outbid.

It also shows clearly in the green text that the player is the current highest bidder on the 2nd gun. It also shows that the players maximum bid of $17500 has not been reached, so despite being willing to pay that much, if the auction ended now he would get it for the lower price.

This is just a mock up, and I would hope that the developers could come up with a much nicer solution than I have (my artistic skills are very limited!).

Are there any questions or comments about this proposal now? Can we have a quick show of posts of people who like/dislike the idea (not the mocked up design)?

DeletedUser

As this has gone to the development discussions section, I shall lock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.