Auction House Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

why why why, these ups and downs add spice and interest.
Let's say something goes for ten times what it should, why is that a problem?
For the person that sells it it's brilliant. If they then post about it on the forum everyone and their uncle will put these things up then the price will plummet down.
I just don't get you guys...this would be fun fun fun.

DeletedUser

If you allow things to be sold for 10 times what they go for in the stores, it would allow a different method of cheating. One character who needs cash could auction off a cheap item, and then put a ridiculusly high bid on it from another account. I really hate that cheating has to be considered more than almost anything else in most suggestions, but thus is the world we live in.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
why why why, these ups and downs add spice and interest.
Let's say something goes for ten times what it should, why is that a problem?
For the person that sells it it's brilliant. If they then post about it on the forum everyone and their uncle will put these things up then the price will plummet down.
I just don't get you guys...this would be fun fun fun.

No Ulthor you didn't think that one through. I can see where your coming from but I think this needs to be patched up.

For example if I am selling a item, any item, in an attempt to transfer money...

My other account(s) can offer all it's money onto this one item, if the item is rubbish nobody will think about trying to out bid it. So my other account gets a useless item and the main account gets all of the money.

There's nothing natural to stop it (as far as I can see) no one would bother outbidding me for a grey boot.

There are ways around this though, we just need to discuss them :p

DeletedUser

So he will sell 50 such items at maximum price and the effect is comparable.

DeletedUser

But there would need to be another bidder to make the price go sky high. So you are talking about someone running three accounts to achieve what you are worried about AND them having two wealthy accounts to feed one poorer account. This is getting to the point where it is becoming extremely unfeasible. Also just disable biding on an item from the same ip and you have made multiing harder to do on this game than it is on any other.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
IP is a step in the right direction, they can do that for accounts in general. It's not a total block though because you can either move computers on reconnent to appear with another IP.

The account the money is going to doesn't need to be poor, it just needs to have a cheap item available, the farming accounts are expected to have money to spend because that's what they are there for.

Main account auctions rusty razor ($20)
Second account bids $750
Nobody wants the razor for that price
Main account receives the money
Second account has transfered the money

Even if somebody did outbid the $750 which would be unlikely because the item is nearly useless the main account would still receive the winning bid, actually making more money.

My ideas around this without market restirctions:
- Anonymous trade, no name viewing for the bidder or the seller
- Each continent sees a certain market (like distance trade), the only catch being the sellers items go into one of these at random. Unless the accounts walk around the whole map there would be no way of tracing the item.

A combination of the two, I hope you can understand the last one, it's farfetched but I think it would be highly effective.

DeletedUser

If someone is prepared to be running three computers to get a slight advantage in this game then thank goodness they are playing the game rather than engaging in crime. This is the level at which i say, ok if you really want to devote that much time and effort into cheating at a game then good luck to you.

You say; 'Main account receives the money' WRONG main account receives $1 because as you say 'nobody wants the razor at that price' so therefore the bidding has only gone up to $1. it works in the same way as a commission bid at auction, like ebay.

Anonymous trade-yes absolutely essential
Continental trade, no need, this is getting to the point of parania now.

Please remember that all a player has to do currently is take off his clothes so that the account he wants to feed can duel him.

DeletedUser

It seems some people are confused about the bidding system. The way I see it, this is ebay style (ie. the current price is the price of the second highest bid +1), not the traditional highest bid style.

DeletedUser1105

Diggo,

I was totally against most trading ideas, but this auction on really caught my eye.

There would be a lot of people wanting items for quests. This would stimulate a lot of bidding on items of this sort. It would involve people most likely paying over the odds for an item (can you imagine what a union flag would go for?). Yes, they may get the quest done quicker, but they will probably be skint for doing it, which would slow them down in other ways, as they couldn't then spend money re-arranging skill points or buying clothes to do certain jobs.

Yes, I think this 'maximum bid' idea is causing confusion. For those who don't use ebay, let me explain:

EBay's Help said:
When you place a bid, you enter the maximum amount you're willing to pay for the item. The seller and other bidders won't know your maximum bid amount.

ebay then places bids on your behalf starting with the next bid increment for the auction. We'll bid as much as necessary to make sure that you remain the high bidder (or to meet the reserve price). We'll keep bidding for you until bidding reaches your maximum amount.

If another bidder has placed the same bid before you or a higher maximum bid, we'll let you know that you've been outbid so that you can place another bid if you want. However, if no other bidder has a higher maximum bid at the end of the auction, you win the item even if your bid doesn't go as high as your maximum bid. You could pay significantly less than your maximum price. This means you don't have to keep coming back to re-bid every time another bid is placed.

You could say you are willing to pay up to $50 for an item. The system looks at the current bid (for example it's at $10). It then bids $11 for you. This bid remains until someone else comes and beats $11. So if someone bids $12, the system automatically bids $13 on your behalf.

But yes, someone with three accounts could easily do this, by getting both accounts to bid extortionatly high maximum bids.

Ulthor, you can't say that these 'traders' would scoop up all of the bargains if there was no minimum. Yes, they would get some of them, but if just one person has two extra accounts and makes them work 8 hours a day for a week at picking sugar, each account would have a guarenteed 224 sugar cane.

He then puts 448 sugar cane on the auction with no minimum price. He bids a maximum bid of $3 for each and every one of them (Only requiring $1344). What trader is going to outbid this, when the item only sells for $4 and is 100% of finding?

Yes, initially people may bid $2 and push his bid to the $3, meaning when he sells them he only makes $448 profit (still a nice profit). But, if he does this every week, people will stop bidding, leaving him to buy them at $1 a pop. He then makes a clear $3 profit on each item, or $1344. That's with only two accounts.

Yes, it seems like a lot of work, but people will do it. And LOTS of people will do it. This auction would be awash with really low level items being sold for really low prices, and it would look like a jumble sale.

DeletedUser

Taking your extreme example;
Firstly the motivation on picking sugar cane would go down.
So the guy works all week with three accounts to make $448! I think that is quite a waste of his time don't you?
How about there is a fee of $1 per item you put in the auction? I don't think it needs it but if you are concerned that is a way round it.

DeletedUser

Minimum price should be set to at least selling price at store. It's simple, because the item is auctioned for 24 hours. And you shoudn't using it for transfering things, also what is your intention then? To get as much profit as possible. Putting price under the selling price in stores is then out of play because it stinks with cheating. Why would you sell an item for less when you can get better price at shop?

DeletedUser1105

Why would you sell an item for less when you can get better price at shop?

Exactly. I see no reason to oppose putting a minimum sale price on.

And Ulthor, you've jumped on my lowest price there. That would be the minimum. It could also be £1344 per week. This is with only 3 accounts. From what I've seen, there seems to be people with many more than that. And motivation would not be a factor, because it doesn't lessen the chances of finding the product, which is 100% in this example.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

OK you win:)
What is to stop people putting loads of rubbish up on the off chance that someone bids on it?
There should be some cost or risk so there isn't just a load of noob rubbish cluttering the auction.
Maybe if it doesn't sell the item is lost?

DeletedUser

No, that is not a good idea, let's say that you are selling a very valuable item, but no one who want's it has enough money for it right now. Loosing the item is too much.

DeletedUser

mabey you pay a fee for every day you have it for sale?

when you put it out on the market you have to do like whit working time.

there whould be a drop down menu were you can pick how maney days you want the offer to run.

the longer it run the more you will have to pay.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
If someone is prepared to be running three computers to get a slight advantage in this game then thank goodness they are playing the game rather than engaging in crime. This is the level at which i say, ok if you really want to devote that much time and effort into cheating at a game then good luck to you.

You say; 'Main account receives the money' WRONG main account receives $1 because as you say 'nobody wants the razor at that price' so therefore the bidding has only gone up to $1. it works in the same way as a commission bid at auction, like ebay.

Anonymous trade-yes absolutely essential
Continental trade, no need, this is getting to the point of parania now.

Please remember that all a player has to do currently is take off his clothes so that the account he wants to feed can duel him.

No somebody is willing to pay for the razor, the second account just no one is willing to out bid it.

A lot of people will have more than one account, and almost everyone has 2+ computer in their house now. It's not much effort for me to walk downstairs and click the West or to unplug my wireless USB to reset my IP (takes all of 5 seconds).

I could unload thousands of dollars to me main account by just using a throwaway item and waiting the expected 24hours. The saves the multiaccounts an hour and most of their energy (compared to dueling) which I could pump back into working doubling my cash flow... if I was cheating.

The Ebay example is flawed because if I auctioned a crayon and then bidded against myself on my other account for £800 I would receive the £800 back. If I asked my brother to do it, he would effectivly be sending me £800 for a crayon, which would work well if borrowing was illegal.

This is the type of abuse you've been talking about in other threads, just much much easier/faster and just about anybody over the age of 8 will be able to do it.

DeletedUser

good idea stkli.

nashy. In the instance you are talking about then the razor has real value because a genuine competitor is bidding, so all that really means is that the account pushing player is losing their own money to push the account rather than getting one $1 less from outside their evil ring. Seems like a bum deal for the account-pusher.

Almost everyone has 2+ computers....dunno about that maybe in Beverly Hills.

The ebay account is absolutely pertinent because in the example you give you are losing an item worth that amount. The golden crayon you auction is worth $799 to someone else in order for your brother to be able to bid it up to $800.

and don't forget if you were account pushing in this way there is a far easier way to do it with duelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.