Attacking Workers at 0% Motivation - The Best Ranking Tactic?

DeletedUser1105

First off, I don't want to go down whether or not it is ethical or moral to attack workers. That's been discussed numerous times.

What I am interested in is town rankings. Obviously, forts are very important for town rankings. But I think attacking workers is a very valid tactic for getting ahead in town rankings.

For those that don't know, duel points on the town rankings are calculated like this:

(Duels Won minus Duels Lost) multiplied by 5. So every duel you win is worth 5 points, and every duel you lose takes 5 points off.

It is fairly obvious then, that winning a lot more duels than you lose will get you more points, which brings me to my main point.

Dueling workers repeatedly at 0% motivation is GOOD for town rankings. It makes sense as the best way to get ahead.

With most workers, decent duelers are going to win a lot more than they lose. Doing so at 0% motivation stops your dueling level from rising so you can hit those workers again and again.

If two towns are 1000 points apart in the town rankings table, all it will require is the town behind to win 500 points worth of duels (100 duels). This would also have the affect of taking 500 points off the town in front.

The easiest way to win? Attacking easy targets.

I wonder if this is what the developers intended by calculating duel points like that?

DeletedUser

Now you have opened the Pandora's box

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The OP is correct.
Also just like power-leveling in dueling, now you can also ranking-leveling between sister/family towns...but ranking-leveling leave at least a town having zero score in dueling.

DeletedUser

Interesting theory.
But duels are only one factor in the rankings and if a town attempts to improve their overall rank by concentrating on improving dueling rank, they may just find that the other factors start to decline.

First of all, I can see their own workers leaving. If they're consistently attacking workers, you better believe there will be retaliation, and their own workers will be the main targets. If their workers start to leave, they will have no one to improve the fort(s) they may own. So right there, members decline and fort points don't go up.

A town that attacks up to 100 workers is going to develop a very poor reputation (in my opinion). Will they have the support needed to defend or attack a fort? Perhaps not. Will they be able to attract other players to join the town? Perhaps not.

But, yeah, interesting theory. I wonder if anyone will try to put it in practice.

DeletedUser

Duels can make a huge difference in town rankings. In World 1 The Shadow City is #1 by a chunk of points because of all their duel wins. In TSC, it's like a requirement to be good a dueling.

But of course, they also have a 0 motivation dueler with 2724 wins. That's 13620 town points just from 1 player.

So if a town has multiple 0 motivation duelers, then bam, they'll be #1 for sure. And I think this certainly would skew the town rankings.

I must note that the player I mentioned attacks whoever, so don't confuse him with cowards who just hit workers all the time.

DeletedUser

i thought the same as evil monkey its pretty good strategy

a town with 4-7 zero motivation duelers can have well minimum 50 wins in a day which means 250 points each day and also its unlimited not like limited building construction

DeletedUser

This ranking, like the dueling ranking, is of very limited value. Both allow you to spam attacks to achieve the highest numbers, but those numbers really don't mean anything in terms of determining who is the best dueler or which is the best town.

If you're into that sort of thing, knock yourself out. Personally, I think it's a rather hollow victory in terms of this game.

DeletedUser1105

But it is still a victory, of sorts, and so it will be pursued. To be the number 1 town in a world is a big deal to a lot of towns, so I can imagine this zero motivation dueling increasing.

HotnSexy, I don't want this to turn into another worker debate thread, so please don't post troll comments - "cowards who just hit workers all the time.".

DeletedUser

just as a side note

in world 8 LN gunfighter have no fort but they are ranked in top 25 because of their dueling (no 0 motivation lol)

on the other hand Amnesia is ranked in top 15 with 30 duel points only

DeletedUser

Troll comments huh? Maybe you should re-read your first post...I thought this would turn into a worker debate after reading that post.
Just don't want people thinking the player I noted got to where he was by dueling only workers.

Anyway, there's nothing to be done about 0 motivation duelers getting their town to the top by dueling workers/easy targets. There really aren't any safeguards against that.

But as a world develops more, you'll know who are the true top towns and who got there by taking the easy way.

DeletedUser1105

You could have made that point without calling people who play a certain way 'cowards'.

How is my post trolling?

I am merely opening this up to discussion. I was hoping it would develop onto a discussion about whether the revamped rankings are good enough and whether they need to be looked at, because does the current set up encourage zero motivation duelers? Is that a good or a bad thing?

But I have no desire to go through the whole issue of whether it is right to hit workers or not. Merely to discuss the way town rankings are worked out and the effect that will invariably have on the way some towns approach the game.

DeletedUser

I was hoping it would develop onto a discussion about whether the revamped rankings are good enough and whether they need to be looked at, because does the current set up encourage zero motivation duelers? Is that a good or a bad thing?

In that case, I think that yes, it needs to be looked at. When any one tactic (such as zero motivation dueling) skews the rankings for an entire town, there is a problem with that ranking.

Now, I have to say, I don't know how you could include any kind of dueling statistics into town rankings without it skewing the results. I think that town rankings and dueling statistics simply do not mix. And, for that matter, I don't believe we have an accurate measure using statistics, on duelers, period.

DeletedUser1105

And, for that matter, I don't believe we have an accurate measure using statistics, on duelers, period.

Do you think there could be one?

It seems there needs to be something to measure them, is what we have merely the best of a bad bunch of options?

DeletedUser

Do you think there could be one?

It seems there needs to be something to measure them, is what we have merely the best of a bad bunch of options?

Maybe I'm not creative enough, but I don't know how to measure it.

Wins - no, Zero motivation duels.
Highest Hits - no, anti-resistance fighters may not get the highest hits, but they may still be better than those that do.
Highest damage in a duel - no, resistance builds may not hit often, but that doesn't mean one of them couldn't be the best build on the server
Dueling level - no, we all know problems with the dueling level like that it again excludes Zero motivation duels, and is more about spamming attacks rather than being good at your attacks.
Dueling win / loss percentage - no, someone may lose a lot early in their career but still be the best dueler on the server.

Etc...

DeletedUser

For those that don't know, duel points on the town rankings are calculated like this:
(Duels Won minus Duels Lost) multiplied by 5. So every duel you win is worth 5 points, and every duel you lose takes 5 points off.

Basically you lose 5 points for every duel loss ONLY IF your town has a POSITIVE win/loss number.

The correct calculation is:
Duels Won minus Duels Lost =
(positive win/loss number) times 5 = town points given
(NEGATIVE win/loss number) = ZERO town points given.

In short if your town has a winning dueling record you gain points, if your town has a losing dueling record you get NO points [and NO penalty either].
===============================
Regarding your conclusion that 0 motivation dueling is the best way to improve town dueling points is 100% correct. I think it is an unintended consequence, that probably should be changed, but in the mean time, go for it.

DeletedUser1105

You are correct. I should have mentioned that you can only lose points until your duel points reach zero.

Would the be any way of combining those factors Adelei, maybe with some others, to get a fairer result?

DeletedUser

Would the be any way of combining those factors Adelei, maybe with some others, to get a fairer result?

As I said, I guess I'm not creative enough. I don't know how to make a really good dueling criteria to measure what it means to be a good dueler that can't be skewed by one of the many different play-styles of this game.

DeletedUser

Regarding dueling. I feel the most important stats are:
average XP gained per win [determine average for the world/game, the farther you are away from that average good/bad the greater the reward / penalty should be, perhaps consider average zero percentile and go from their positive & negative]
total number of duels
win/loss percentage [with a time weight toward current events, rather than past beat downs]

I think the key out of all of them is average XP per win, the higher the number the better a "pure" dueler you are, since you have repeatedly proven you can beat higher dueling levels. I would say the average is probably low-mid 40's. Obivously someone that is MUCH higher or lower than that should either gain or lose lots of duel ranking positions as a result. [In one world I average about 80 XP and 75% winning percentage or much better than average].

Also someone with a higher XP average and a somewhat lower winning percentage is probably a better dueler than someone with a lower XP average and a higher winning percentage. [ie one dueler is taking the risk of dueling better players, while the other one is mainly dueling easy targets]