Army

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser13682

i am joining jrotc in high school then after that, i want to join the paratroopers, hopefully the 101st does this seem like a good plan

DeletedUser

Okay, so the definition refers merely to a weapon(s) fired at an enemy(ies) in combat/conflict, and not the actual emotion? I don't doubt some people use anger as a utility to override fear, which is the dominating emotion when shots are fired. I don't recall ever firing while angry, although I did fire out of necessity, which had promptly overridden fear. Still, taking the comments as presented, "where shots are being fired in anger" infers others are shooting, and not necessarily me, anyone in the platoon, or even combat personnel. So then, is a civilian included in this list of the respected? I mean, what constitutes legitimacy? For that matter, why is it my words should carry more weight, when they are likely the exact same words I would have used regardless of any combat/conflict experiences?

What I mean to say is, it's like taking the word of a convicted criminal over that of a professor of criminology who has never committed a crime. Being "there" does not constitute someone as being an authority and there were plenty of people I knew in the military whose opinions do not deserve the merit badge of respect this anonymous poster offers.

DeletedUser13682

go through jrotc through high school, then after high school, join the paratroopers for about 10 years

DeletedUser

once again I didn't say he was right (I had forgotten about this thread infact until it got revived as the Alex is gone) in fact I agree with what you have stated in this thread. I was just providing information on the phrase and it's usage.

DeletedUser

I understood that David. I'm questioning the logic of the person who tossed me that anonymous criticism.

johann, that's not a goal or, if it is the goal, it shouldn't be. Ten years in the military doesn't provide you a future, or a pension, it only gives you something to do for 10 years. If you join the military, it should be to either obtain particular skills that you would like to transfer to civilian use, or you go in it as a career (which means you stay in it for at least 20 years). I also mentioned earlier that if you can enter as an officer, I would recommend that route. This means either attending OCS/OTC or obtaining a bachelors/masters degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13682

well, i want to learn some skills, but i really want to join because of my patriotic feelings to my country. and i want to work my way up and not get in as an officer from going to college for a few years. and i heard from a friend of a soldier that if he had stayed in for 10 years instead of 9 that he would have retirement

DeletedUser

Yeah, that's just not true. Retirement requires a minimum of 20 years, in which you will receive 50% of monthly pay. This is increased by 2.5% per year after 20 years, up to 75% (30 years). So, if you served 30 years, you would get 75% of pay on a monthly basis. Most retired military have found it more beneficial to retire after 20 years and use their military credentials to obtain a second career job, which will allow them to walk away with two retirement packages after 40 years of work (referred to double-dipping).

Now, retirement pay is dependent upon your rank, so if you want a good retirement package, you need to seriously consider obtaining an officer rank from the onset. So very few people become officers after becoming enlisted, it's not even worth considering.

This idea of "working your way up" has no true purpose, because you will simply not become an officer without somewhere along the lines obtaining a degree. And, despite the recruiter's sell, you will not be more respected merely for being enlisted before being an officer. Respect will be based on how you conduct yourself, how you manage others, and your rank. If enlisted personnel don't like you, they still have to follow your orders, but if a commanding officer doesn't like you, best get used to kissing the pavement.

Get your degree first, before entering the military. I recommend researching the Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program (BDCP). I think you'll find a reasonable option there to obtain your degree whilst paving the way for your military career. Also, you should discuss OCS (OTC if you're talking about British/Canadian/Australian military) with a recruiter, but accept nothing that is not written down. You are obligated to protect yourself, so ensure anything you sign states exactly what was agreed.

As to patriotism, that's a non-paying ticket. You're just going to be used and discarded. There's no great ticker-tape parade, no fanfare, no honor club for your time in service. If you wish to serve your country, there are plenty of social services that are far more beneficial to the nation, and which will provide you far more in the form of accomplishments and respect. Our military, for the most part, is not well-respected locally or abroad, and the use of our military is, at present, marginally patriotic in its application.

DeletedUser13682

still, i feel like joining, but maybe i will consider the BDCP and OCS

DeletedUser13682

finally! someone who doesnt want to fly an f22! so that makes you swedish?

DeletedUser

Yep. I'm not aiming to fly in the USAF. I'm aiming for the Flygvapnet. I'm a Swedish Cadet dispatched in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.