1.29 ruins dueling

DeletedUser

It would be super awesome if you catch a serial camper - ZanyMan or Astrel on W11 or MashDk or Johnny Ringo W1 in your town, so you get the appearence (as you initiated the duel) and the tactics bonus (since you are in your own town). That would destroy camping forever.

DeletedUser9470

0% is far from dead. for sure thats the thing im trying out soon, allthough most who attend battles are way above my level...
ill give it a shot some time...
i still prefer going from town to town...
:D

DeletedUser16008

Still trying to keep an open mind and i like the update overall and want to like the dueling bit too but im Just not finding the time or inclination to do more than a couple of worlds. log in run around reset ( it takes ages to find targets now btw if your being picky )chat in rooms to say hi everytime etc etc add infinity...:(

Used to log in to other worlds while waiting for duels to finish and set up a few there. OK if your on just one world you got no major probs. Running a few properly is no longer possible.

Like derek i liked to sit with my feet up for a few hrs crack a bottle and kick back and go through a list of targets. Have a town raiding party with friends and goof off in chat. Now i find myself queing a sleep because i cant remember how long left to go on duels etc etc by the time ive checked things out and logged in and out etc etc ive lost interest. Also finding good targets i WANT to duel isnt the same as just queuing up whoever. Ill be deleting a couple of worlds this week as i cant be bothered with them now, one im so high up in dueling there wasnt many to duel as it was now its pointless trying. Im sure worlds will die out faster as a result of players not keeping multi toons going. Maybe thats what is best so ill save $20 a month on each world i quit thats one bonus.

It is now truly becoming a browser game of casual interest. Which is unfortunate.

OK i can understand it gives people a break from duelers but atm im hitting loads of people i wouldnt normally bother just for convenience.

Sure i can go to fort battles and find targets but it wont last long people will not go out to work if they keep getting hit but stay at the fort safe n sound. Naa the best option is to not be in any big group and just cane whoever you can find but how long that stays interesting im not too sure. As for killing them after ? well there are the offliners but if you go to the battle and win youll only have allies left there after, and if you die your back in bed. You can just NPC ko back home after anyway so it no biggie and wont be much of an option once it gets known. Plus no one takes cash to a regular battle so theres no gain there either.

Wheres the fun in having town wars when you cant get at the members very often ? maybe duel a couple is they are near town but its not much of a campaign now is it ?

Why not have a town war declaration so when towns do go to war they get the option of the old system as well as the new ? if players cant stand the heat then move towns, for a lot of us campers have become part of the daily evil but then again a 15 minute no sleep window would fix that fast enough.

As for 0 motive, well if they have just one world and dont care who they hit itll be virtually impossible to catch up with them unless your tenacious. So no it wont kill it but it will become essential to keep your dueling lvl down as low as possible so you dont run out of targets you can find in a sensible traveling distance.

ill be adapting and im using NPC far more to keep the motivation down but my gut feeling is the excitement of the duel will be gone as its too long between duels if your having a dueling night with mates to actually enjoy... Ill see friday when a few of us usually go out for a raid or two... the usual chaos of tagging and laying a town low we are at war with wont happen but I expect there will be a lot of bodies strewn all around the sector.

Fort maneuvers will become the norm in near dead worlds where not enough attend but would if it was instant with no risk, maybe thats the new night with mates having a riot, i wonder how long thats going to be interesting tho. Ive done a few and already the novelty has worn off... plus the numbers are down on real battle attendees i hope thats also a blip.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser22685

This has been a great update. Things were looking good and I was excited about the alliances, the bounties, the market, the new chats. Even the maneuvers were pretty cool. Then I tried to go on my first dueling trip. Now I hate this update.

I travelled to a town hoping to find some juicy targets. When I challenged one of them, I end up hours away from the rest of them and have to keep travelling between different random points on the map to try and find a target. It's rare to even find two duels at the same location. What used to take an hour now can take up to 6 hours, unless you're on one of the premium worlds in which case you can waste all your nuggets halving the waytime seven times per trip.

Dueling was the thing keeping me entertained in this game and giving me a reason to log in to my non-dueling worlds and queue up my few hours of work each time. I'm not going to go and impulsively quit the game, because I still love it and the people in it. However, I fear that many will go ahead and quit altogether, especially those that have hit level 99 and all that is keeping them even slightly entertained was dueling.

Now, originally I came here for just a good old rant. But then while reading through the other posts in the thread (I didn't read the whole thing, that would've taken me almost as long as it does to string two duels together now), I saw that some people actually like the update, and their points are good. The reason this was brought in was to help balance out the camping sleep-duel players that don't have a problem dueling workers (such as myself :p) by giving the players the opportunity to hit them back where they stand and not have to travel all the way to the offender's town. This probably did need to happen, so it got me thinking.

/enter into I&B mode. This one doesn't involve cars n planes, I swear

Why not make it possible to duel both on the spot (possibly by clicking the round duel button on the player's profile) as well as through the saloon (by clicking the word "duel" in the saloon)? Then, we combine this with the >10 minute cooldown time between dueling and sleeping that was mentioned by someone (can't remember who) on the first page of the thread, unless you are below x% of your maximum health (so you are still able to sleep if your health is low, but you can't make yourself un-duelable). This way, duelers don't have to travel to all ends of the map to get some decent exp or wins, but towns still have protection against campers.

(If anyone actually read all that, let me know and I will give you some green rep :p)

EDIT (I forgot to put this in): There is a hotfix coming up before Halloween so that the Halloween quest can be implemented. Maybe if we cry enough they will bring the changes I proposed in at that time. Not that we should need to cry, it benefits both duelers and innocent victims of campers - so what's not to like?

Deleted User - 1693871

This update doesn't ruin duelling - it just means you need to use your brain a little bit more rather than going to a town and mindlessly clicking on 'duel' several times.

DeletedUser

@VK

Oh my god - 3030 duels won, 65 lost ?!? I understand why you say new dueling could be boring... And how on earth you found time enough to duel them anyway ?
Agree on numbers - definately goes down. But with new thing - dueling gets more interested. Its not anymore hack&slash. At last you pay attention on those red dots on map are actual players spread around.
OK its not perfect, like devs could add something like "trace target" so you follow victim till you catch it. They also announced ambushes to come, it opens more options than before...

@f1001

If you ask me, it is not workable to keep 2 dueling mechanisms altogether. "Tracing targets" if implemented should make new dueling system more entertaining. But thats just only an idea now...

DeletedUser22685

Possibly not, but I thought it was worth putting out there for the people that know. But I doubt it will get changed :(

DeletedUser2474

I have played this game from the very start when there was only 1 world. I was happy with the updates and could even enjoy the advantage of the 4 premium worlds. I don't mind if people want to buy skill and attribute points to beat me, that is their option. I play a dueler on 3 worlds and i have an adventurer, a worker and two fort fighters on the other worlds i am active on. With these 7 worlds that i play i was most excited about the dueling on 13 and 14. They provided the most enjoyment and allowed me to sit in the town chat and discuss all sorts of things with people while waiting for duels to finish.

I don't spend all my time dueling and then ducking into a hotel like a lot of the duelers around here do. I set up a few duels and then when they run out i set up a few more. I have no problems with people in town now being able to hit me back while i am dueling in the town so that part of the dueling update is fine. I am a dueler and dueling is what i do.

But.

What i don't like is that i now have a list of times for duel completion when i click on a town saloon. It is all based around how far each person is from the town itself. So i may be 15mins from the town and there might be people in the town to duel, plus a few who are about 15mins away from the town. If i were to select one of these targets who are away from the town, why don't the times now adjust. If i look at a job and then at my town i might have two different times for travel. If i click the job and then look back at my town the travel time adjusts for the distance from the new location i will be at. Dueling doesn't do this from saloons. So in effect the devs have short changed everyone.

Even this problem isn't the worst thing that will make my continued support of this game end. My biggest annoyance is that while before you could keep checking during a duel to watch for the player slipping into a hotel room, and then cancel that duel. Outcome the 12 energy points back and no travel time lost if you were already at the town. Now you could be traveling to someone who is a few hours away, have a few more duels lined up based on the new location that you are traveling too. And then find that the person you were heading for has slipped into a hotel. No problem, you cancel the duel. Outcome 12 energy points back and the travel time towards the new destination wasted. All future duels that you had setup are now going to take longer meaning that more of these targets are likely to end up in a hotel and you have just wasted your time.

I notice a number of people who seem to say that this update is great have all cited the end of camping as the big benefit for them. What end of camping. The people who before would sit in a town ready to hit everyone are now going to be sitting at the job sites and fort locations hitting everyone. The chance that you can hit someone back who is camping you at a job site is pretty small. You are out there because you are working. If you were in your town you could attack the person back and slip straight into your hotel.

If the dueling was changed to anyone who sets a duel against someone who is still awake when they select the duel. Should still be able to finish that duel even if the person enters a hotel. Maybe if the person has low health they can avoid KO and simply be "Stunned" since they are technically already sleeping but that way people don't get burned for actually attempting to duel in this new system.

So there are both good and bad things coming out of this and all the previous updates. I can see how a lot of non duelers are going to love this update but i am not one of them. I am going to continue for now with my characters but i am not filled with confidence regarding the dueling system as it stands.

Sorry for the extended reply but to leave you with one last question.
Why change the dueling system that has been in place from the very start of the very first world? It is not an improvement like the 1hr jobs on the premium worlds or like adding the forts to the game. Not even like the sheriff or the market updates. It is a shift in the game that has changed the dynamics of what a lot of people started playing the game for. The ability to buy skills and items from jobs are all add-ons to the game not a re-write of the system.

DeletedUser

But we like mindlessly clicking on duel several times!

+1. Now dueling is as boring as Tribalwars for example. I didn't came here to spend hours for searching targets that move around the map. I really do hope that atleast hey will add a feature that will locate suitable targets near you.

DeletedUser

Dueling was boring to me from the start. As Felicity said, till this update it was mindless clicking on a duel button. Now you'll have to think.

This thread should also be renamed into "campers unite!".

DeletedUser

The update is not ruining the duel, instead it makes duel more fun to play. Smart dueler has to plan out whom to be dueled based on the distances. Perhaps the developer should add a function that list out all duelable targets for each counties regardless from which town, and sorted by distance.

DeletedUser

Well I have to say that the duelers and soldiers in my town ALL love this new update!

But then again none of them used to just sit in towns camping..... so maybe thats the issue here?

DeletedUser9470

o% at my level hasnt changed (hardly), instead of queueing up 2-3 players and moving on to next town, im queueing up players constantly, i check the times, if one of my targets is way out i cancel it. all in all it works out near enough the same, maybe a tad longer.

i know its fun to ko a whole town and thus there you are talking specific targets.
that camping fun is out the door.

so if you are high level like vic then for sure it is different, nevertheless i am sure you can queue up 10/15 duels/day even if some are quite far apart.

so the main issue brought up in this post is the deletion of town war duelling.
that is something the devs should look at as is in their interest to keep players happy.

i think the solution could go along the lines of:
1 possibility to declare war on a town.
2 if a war is declared on a town the saloon of that town becomes a battlefield where you could duel anyone of that town as before.

DeletedUser

i think the solution could go along the lines of:
1 possibility to declare war on a town.
2 if a war is declared on a town the saloon of that town becomes a battlefield where you could duel anyone of that town as before.

What he just said.

DeletedUser26759

Basiclly just killed dueling. lucky if you can find 3 or 4 ppl to duel now, so much running around and time wasting. As far as im concerned just another nail in the coffin. I think theres only room for 1 more nail.

Great new feature, hope they keep it :)

DeletedUser

The problem I have with this update is as follows. There are really only two options when it comes to conflict between towns these are fort fights and duels. There are cities that specialize in both. The advantage has been giving to those that are fort fighting towns. This update has taken away any major power the dueling towns had by stripping their ability to inflict damage on the enemy. This is why I like Neo's suggestion. It allows conflict to happen but keeps the update at the same time.

DeletedUser

Dueling was boring to me from the start. As Felicity said, till this update it was mindless clicking on a duel button. Now you'll have to think.

This thread should also be renamed into "campers unite!".

1 star.you are terrible.it's all about dueling and not forum "expert" (who know everything)

DeletedUser

Well guys. Do you know that you CAN still select people from the saloon? My bro does that! But you will go to the location where the player is!! But it will be more time wasting now.. C´mon guys! Dueling is not THAT hard!! I can duel people in W12 just fine :).