1.29 ruins dueling

DeletedUser

The title of this thread is utterly wrong.
1.29 actually gave more importance and more challenge to duels.

Yes, it killed something, but that isn't duels.
It killed CAMPING.

So please, change the title into "1.29 ruined camping".

do you duel joxer? i mean other than in defense?

Not everyone wants to be part of dueling. if you take away the option of just travelling, no fighting, you loose half of the players.

so you are saying then over half the players of the west are townless? or just like the chance to escape?

As for chasing ghosts... now duelers 10% speed bonus finally become usefull. But I do believe it should be increased to at least 20% [and 30 or 40% for premium].

in my opinion, the non full premium worlds are the only place where the dueler speed bonus even has any meaning anymore. a 5 nugget click will make anyone faster

DeletedUser

do you duel joxer? i mean other than in defense?
No, I'm townless player who doesn't duel not even quest NPCs and I don't know what are NPC duels ppl are talking about.

Or if I'm not understandable, then in other words:
My head hurts, my feet stink and I hate Jesus.

DeletedUser9470

Basiclly just killed dueling. lucky if you can find 3 or 4 ppl to duel now, so much running around and time wasting. As far as im concerned just another nail in the coffin. I think theres only room for 1 more nail.

it has slowed down a bit, but not much, the way its going ill soon be over 5000 wins, im still getting 15 duels/day no probs.

DeletedUser

I have to say not ALL parts of the dueling change are bad. We get the obvious bad points but here are some good ones:

1. Someone said earlier to have some of your own soldiers on hand in a town. This is true and helps a town protect itself. Now if someone is there trying to duel ...they can duel back right away. I always thought it was ridiculous that you could not duel someone that was in your town. You have to travel to their city? Really dumb. Now you can. If this game started the opposite way and then you would have to travel to their city to duel them if they were in your town...you guys would be whining quite heavily.

2. How realistic is it that you can go to a city and duel someone when they may be 5 counties away? It isn't. So what if you have to chase! Stop being lazy. Chasing is a great part of the Old West. This adds more tactics to a great dueler ...as now someone can't just show up at their city. You want them? You go to them.

3. Help with people on long quest or duel journeys. Now someone can't just show up at your city and bring you all the way back home with a KO.

DeletedUser

2. How realistic is it that you can go to a city and duel someone when they may be 5 counties away? It isn't. So what if you have to chase! Stop being lazy. Chasing is a great part of the Old West. This adds more tactics to a great dueler ...as now someone can't just show up at their city. You want them? You go to them.

Ok then lets make it one hit in a duel and you are severely wounded. One or tow more hits and your dead forever no more game you have to restart. Reality doesn't count for anything its a game. Saying oh this is more realistic is a very very very poor argument. I don't see how it adds tactics for duelers other then they are 6 hours away better start working.

DeletedUser

It's a great argument because we now have to deal with it if we are playing ...period. Just trying to point out something decent. I can't get why anyone would like to duel or be dueled when you are not even in the same area. How does that work again? That is some Colt-45 from 1,000 miles away. haha.

DeletedUser22737

okay so it's tough to camp towns now, sure. i haven't tried this yet but is camping a fort before a battle easier now? i imaging you can pick off some of the people who are standing at the fort waiting to sign up or the people signed up but standing at a random job right?

DeletedUser

If anyone plays this game expecting it to be realistic then they need to be institutionalized.

DeletedUser

Right...they don't want it to be realistic for a game? Is that why the clothes, shoes, weapons match? Is that why fort battles? Is that why they have Western names for special weapons and clothing? Jesse James, Clint Eastwood, Wyatt Earp? Any of those characters/people NOT from the West?

You are taking things out of context. It is a game about the West, so yes, they will want it to be "realistic" for a game.

People hate change no matter if good or bad. That's human nature, but the bottom line is that it has changed and you can quit or deal with it. Looks like your only options.

DeletedUser

and yes Barry ..another good point. You can sit around a fort and get people who want to sneak in jobs before the battle. Before you could not if the city was far away ...

You know ...those 1,000 mile duels everyone seems to love. HAHAHA

DeletedUser

okay so it's tough to camp towns now, sure. i haven't tried this yet but is camping a fort before a battle easier now? i imaging you can pick off some of the people who are standing at the fort waiting to sign up or the people signed up but standing at a random job right?

sure you can. go stand at a fort with a towns worth of people in the barracks waiting to wake up. that will be easy pickens for them.

thats not even the problem. so far over half the job icons i check the red player dot disappears before i can even see if someone there is duelable.

i rarely if ever hit workers cuz it isnt much a challenge if you hit a builder, and i do like to win, but i still prefer to kick the butt of someone who may surprise me. everything is gonna be fair game soon enough

one thing that you could do is look at the upcoming fort battles and linger around. anyone who comes out alive not belonging to the fort will be fair game for awhile, unless they also run to the closest hotel

another thing i was thinking about, is the 10 minute countdown still. if you have to travel hours to a job icon or 20 minutes w/e the case may be. the countdown shouldnt be so long still. half the time or immediate.

things may settle themselves but so far it just seems as tho im chasing my tail trying to find a few duels

DeletedUser

Ok. what is your problem. a smart dueler has it easier now, waiting in the busier areas of the map, and getting more duels.

The problem is camping is dead. dueling is still alive and well

I definately agree that the duel timer itself should be lower.

I'd say 2 mins at most for that

10 mins gives a player to much time to run away

DeletedUser

i like your idea of cutting the time in half. Seems like a reasonable point. I just like the fact you have to A) be where they are to duel them B) you can now duel someone in your own town (goes with A) ). I always thought not having those two things was very silly.

And yes ...you can camp fort battles areas and duel plenty. I imagine those will be dueling breeding grounds!

DeletedUser

Ok. what is your problem. a smart dueler has it easier now, waiting in the busier areas of the map, and getting more duels.

The problem is camping is dead. dueling is still alive and well

Yes, very easy if all you want is quantity, but getting quality duels, i.e. those that give you high XP is a real pain in the butt now.
I can find plenty of players lower rank than me but what are the rewards?
Perhaps I'll just hit builders, they are easy to find, then I can boast that I easily won 5000 duels and I'm obviously the best.....

DeletedUser25487

The problem isn't that attacking someone as becoming harder and more time consuming... location-based battles was necessary for this game to evolve. The problem is that "dueling" someone is no longer worth the effort. Duels are arguably the primary selling point for this game and the vast majority of players either do or have taken part in them... and at this point it is simply not worth it to spend the time and energy to chase someone down hoping to beat them for: some pocket change that they could make back in an hour of working a money job, and a loss of health that they will regenerate in a few hours at a hotel.

Two answers, in my mind:

1) Separate "fights" from "duels". Duels happen in towns and should be initiated at a saloon. Fights are location-based and constitute everything from a robbery to an assassination.

2) Make "fights" more important, with more lasting and substantive effects. A low percentage chance that a loser will drop a random inventory item (perhaps not random, but rather value-based depending on the disparity of damage done). Possible injuries sustained during combat that have stat or ability penalties, disabled limbs and such that heal independently of overall health points. While you might have a smaller percentage chance of an injury when losing a fight, or it's a minor effect, you are almost guaranteed of a major injury when you get KO'd. Then make KO's dramatically shorter so that the victim is injured and vulnerable, instead of getting a 2-day free pass to work jobs. This would help town vs. town fighting become more relevant.

I also think the next evolution is some sort of posse battle system, similar to fort battles but with far fewer losses and no transfer of ownership. This would give duelers and soldiers a way to fight their enemies without having to chase them across the countryside, especially when that involves leaving their town undefended.

DeletedUser16628

I just go to the nearest fort having a battle and hit every non allied players available.Done the worksite thing and bounties.will give it a chance.

DeletedUser9470

Yes, very easy if all you want is quantity, but getting quality duels, i.e. those that give you high XP is a real pain in the butt now.
I can find plenty of players lower rank than me but what are the rewards?
Perhaps I'll just hit builders, they are easy to find, then I can boast that I easily won 5000 duels and I'm obviously the best.....

haha, some just dont think do they?
dont knock 0% as you havent got a clue what it involves.

to get where i have managed to get, it will take you a years worth of duelling 15/20 duels a day that means duelling nearly everyone, you wont have time to look around and travel for builders only. also, when you do so much duelling be prepared to be duelled back. by guys 10 levels higher than you.

if you cannot find a "good duel" then you are blind, this update hasnt changed a thing in that regards. just duel the ones you duelled before, it just takes a bit longer.
quit whining, if i were you i would stick to farming pig pens and keep quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser14006

Well that's it for me on all worlds, I'll play 11 untill the nuggets run out. This has totaly ruined the game as far as dueling goes. I have a life, I can't spend all day on the game trying to find people to duel, chasing all over the map.

RIP The West......

This comment sums it up the best for me :)

Think I may as well respec to involve some tactics now because I sure as will not be wasting all my time travelling the map or all my nuggets warp travelling to them.

Will still continue to play but will no longer be bothered about duel rank, kills or anything competitive - simply not enough spare time to do so!

The only role I can see my dueling character pursuing will be that of a stalker gunslinger, finding one person and following them every where they go :D

DeletedUser

I like the dueling now as it is! In W Arizona I used to get camped and KOed every 2-3 days all the time. It was really frustrating :mad: !! Now I can´t get camped anymore :).

DeletedUser9470

I like the dueling now as it is! In W Arizona I used to get camped and KOed every 2-3 days all the time. It was really frustrating :mad: !! Now I can´t get camped anymore :).

if someone wants you dead you will die no matter what.
this update hasn't changed much along those lines. it will take a bit of time for duellers to adapt that's all.