West 2.0 discussion

DeletedUser

products drop rate question

Some products drop probability improved but on the other hand some are much lower-calumets from peace negotiations job for example.
Was that introduced on purpose to reduce availability of the certain products?

DeletedUser

can any CM or mod please give a brief update about what has been fixed\updated or changed last update ? would be nice to see what happened in tw 2.1 :p

seeing quite some stuff changed here is what i noticed briefly:

- you can open 15 instead of 10 quests now
- minimap looks different prolly to improve visibility
- some menu's look more practicle
- tw.db cloth calc dissapeared :(

all except the last 1 are great changes :), lets hope they also fixed the chat for godsake

edit: ow on german forums where CM's do communicate they call it 2.02

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser16008

can any CM or mod please give a brief update about what has been fixed\updated or changed last update ? would be nice to see what happened in tw 2.1 :p

seeing quite some stuff changed here is what i noticed briefly:

- you can open 15 instead of 10 quests now
- minimap looks different prolly to improve visibility
- some menu's look more practicle
- tw.db cloth calc dissapeared :(

all except the last 1 are great changes :), lets hope they also fixed the chat for godsake

edit: ow on german forums where CM's do communicate they call it 2.02

There are some fixes and as usual it disrupts other scripts like cloth calc.... incidentally regarding your quip about communication .net seems to be the forgotten server very often and you can't communicate to others when not informed of an update or its content. :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

probably there is some translate problem now ! duel report :
winner-is-male|vladelino gewinnt das Duell, bekommt 225 Erfahrungspunkte, 75 Duellerfahrung und erhält von ------- $ 265.

what means this ?> :p

DeletedUser34315

winner-is-male | vladelino wins the duel, you get 225 experience points, 75 duel experience and receives $ ------- 265th
I've had the same thing.

DeletedUser

Would be scary if your toon is male and it says 'winner-is-female' eh?

Deleted User - 1278415

In case there are players who can decypher (a bit of) German, here is a changelog of bugfix-update 2.02:

http://forum.the-west.de/showthread.php?p=701216#post701216

Lets see Google translate in action:

Hello, we are playing a bugfix update (version 2.02) a, fix some bug from version 2.0. Among other things, recreation, health points and dollars will now update properly again. Moreover, there are some minor improvements (for example, on the minimap). For the update, any world not be available for about 5-10 minutes.

The main new features of the update: bug fixes

Recovery points, money and life points are now correctly updated
Player profiles can be reported against
Missing graphics for quest rewards in the quest log is now in place
Problems solved ranks in fort battle chat
Improvements in the City forum error (wrong BB codes, survey Vesteckte and not hidden forums)
Ignore chatting working again
problems with false texts successes resolved
The tooltips of the Worlds at login are now back in the foreground
The Daily Task messages will now display correctly

Improvements
About the settings can now be configured so that the chat is open by default
Clearer animation work for started
Members of the bonus is now in any case three times as many as in Erfahurngspunkte version 1.36 (Even if one has not previously logged on the day)
Citations in the city forum are now better represented

Internet Explorer 8-and-9-users should temporarily switch to another browser because there are problems with starting work.

There may be problems with the fort battle chat. We are currently investigating this. If the chat does not work properly with you, I recommend to switch to IRC channels (eg webchat.quakenet.org). The problem is due to an error in the distribution of rights. the command / topic is still working, maybe this helps you somehow. Sorry for the problem, we try to remedy the problem as soon as possible.

We will record within the next 1-2 hours another bugfix update to fix the following issues will be: -In Fort battle chats can again be written Internet Explorer users can return to work , the number of players in a chat room is properly again shown stability improvements for Fort fights

DeletedUser6752

I think theres a section missing there about bugs added :whistle:

Surely you can't mean receiving this system message when replying to a whisper:

You have tried to send the message to player 'xxxxxxxxx', but unfortunately the player doesn't exist.

DeletedUser34464

FYI- bug fixes? Try again. still doesn't update properly. Maybe figure if it's in German we won't notice.

Bad Billy Jack

Surely you can't mean receiving this system message when replying to a whisper:

You have tried to send the message to player 'xxxxxxxxx', but unfortunately the player doesn't exist.

That error means player has gone offline.

Just like you cannot click on a player in chat to see profile or whisper. Player has gone off line.

Next bug, players in battle chat player listing remain listed when they go offline.

DeletedUser6752

That error means player has gone offline.

Just like you cannot click on a player in chat to see profile or whisper. Player has gone off line.

Next bug, players in battle chat player listing remain listed when they go offline.

If we didn't get that message in 1.36, I don't see how it is an improvement that we get it now.

HelenBack

If we didn't get that message in 1.36, I don't see how it is an improvement that we get it now.

There used to be an error in v1.36 that said a player didn't exist if you had misspelled their name... but this error is happening when the person you were chatting to goes offline. Rather than say "The person you sent this to is offline", it tells you they don't exist. Even after you have been whispering with them for a while and use the same chat.
:rolleyes:

And ya... Fort Battle Ranks do not show in the chat anymore... People have to check in the Battle Screen to see if they were ranked. Some peeps don't see any ranks and get upset without realizing it's a bug and people have been ranked... Sometimes they storm off before you can explain the situation.
:blink:

DeletedUser

I have noticed the majority of issues has been "getting used to" the game having changed. A lot of players, including myself, were used to how the game was. We would mumble, grumble, complain about how it was, but we knew it and were confident in our understanding of where things were and how things worked.

The game is different now. It's the same game at the core. Most of the mechanics are the same, but the presentation is different and many of the functions have changed, so we're having to relearn the game. That's disheartening for a lot of players who felt they were experts. But, geez, it's a game and it's in many ways better than it was before. I have played around in the game and gotten used to many of the changes and, quite frankly, I like it more than the previous version. Sure, it has a higher learning curve than the previous game, but there are more tutorials too. It's a little more complicated, a little more variety, but I quite like the game being "more" than it was.

I haven't been participating in this and other trolling threads primarily because I have been looking at what can be done to "improve" upon what has already been done. Let's face it, the game isn't going to be reverted back to West 1.0, so the only way is forward. Jump in Beta and point out what needs to be fixed or improved upon... that's how you get the game to where you want it.

But seriously, what's the point of all this trolling? Encouraging a mass-exodus? Does that make you feel important? Is this whole scene honestly more important than the floods, hurricanes, wars, and starvation that are devastating this world? No, of course not... perspective.

And in perspective, this is a game, so how about we move to being productive instead of destructive, to improve upon our form of entertainment? I would like to see more of you in Beta, posing your "recommendations" and pointing out the bugs so the developers can fix them.

http://forum.beta.the-west.net/
http://beta.the-west.net/

Thanks,
Hellstromm

DeletedUser22685

I have played around in the game and gotten used to many of the changes and, quite frankly, I like it more than the previous version.

Have you tried building a fort after the update? The insane amount of products required combined with the torturous product drop rates makes fort building hell. These are the two things I hate most about the new version. Other than that, I wouldn't disagree with you. The job times are not as bad as people are making them out to be, it's just that the drop rate of both products and items is now a hell of a lot worse than it was before, combine that with the fact that motivation still drops 5% for 2 minute jobs and that's where the hatred of the new job system comes from, people just blame it on the job times because that was the obvious change and they think that's what's ruined jobbing.

Hellstromm said:
And in perspective, this is a game, so how about we move to being productive instead of destructive, to improve upon our form of entertainment? I would like to see more of you in Beta, posing your "recommendations" and pointing out the bugs so the developers can fix them.

We tried that, it didn't work. I can understand that the devs were losing players and probably close to losing money on The West, which is why they had such determination to roll out this update as soon as possible without listening to people who said things that would slow them down. However, some of the things that were complained about would not have defeated the purpose of the 2.0 update if changed. Things such as chat, fort requirements, drop rates and motivation. Little things like that would make this update so much more bearable for the players and still kept the major changes that were intended with 2.0 such as job times and grouping and the new map.

However people still need to take heed of what Hellstromm has said. We have pages of complaining in this and other threads, but barely a full page of 2.0 related suggestions in Ideas & Brainfarts, with a number of the suggestions that have been posted there involving a roll back of the job system or other fundamental parts of 2.0 which has been stated a number of times by our CMs and the devs as out of the question. Maybe I'll do something about that and create my own thread in I&B with a realistic list of improvements for Version 2.0.

DeletedUser6752

The message behind your post seems to be, in essence, 'if you're serious about making the game better, either join Beta or shut up' and 'it's only a game, and there are people dying all over the world from tragedy upon tragedy, so you should be ashamed of yourselves for making such a big deal about a game'.

It's possible that some of us don't have the time to 'jump into beta' - honestly, I've been a beta tester before and from what I've seen of what people seem to think of beta, your actual testing base is woefully small. I have gotten the distinct impression over the past few years that most consider Beta to be no more than a free way to get the jump on others in finding out about changes, updates and especially new quests. Lots of talk about Beta that show it's considered just another playing world - the majority of people in Beta seem to be there to use it as a means to perfect their gameplay and not to try to improve the game itself.
As for me, if I had the time I would join Beta, but I've been having less and less time to play in the regular worlds and there's no way I would have the time to spend in Beta to do what should be done. But in the same light, the new gameplay has been giving me less and less time away from the keyboard - before I could set a job for 1 hour and walk away to do other things; now I set 8 jobs for 15 seconds each and it's done in 2 minutes. Oh yes, I can set a longer-term job for 30 minutes, 1 hour, 1:30 or 2 hours - and come away with a fraction of the results I would have seen before. I just do not see the update as a good tradeoff - I'm running out of crafting supplies and the jobs I can queue to try and replenish supplies simply cannot keep pace with 3 measly crafting jobs per day for the dailies. It's things like that which fall far short of being the siren song to lure me back to the game I was hooked on for 4+ years.

Perspective? You tell us to have perspective relative to the real world? I live in New Jersey, sir, 30 minutes from the shore - what is left of it - and most everybody in my town was without power or heat for 12 days of below-40 degree weather after the recent hurricane. I went outside twice a night in 21-degree cold to put gas in a generator, and I have friends in New York who are still not back on their feet. So yes, I do have perspective, and I do know that this is 'just' a game.
But it's a game where, until recently, I was willing to pay for premium features - it was a game that helped me relax after work and on the weekends. So yes, I also see it as a form of entertainment. And right now, at least in my own mind, I can honestly categorize it with NewsRadio after Phil Hartman died and The Office after Steve Carell left. It's still entertainment by definition, but it no longer entertains me.
What do I hope to accomplish by railing against the changes that I know, in my heart of hearts, will not be revoked and probably not even revised? Tell me honestly, how many avenues of communication are open to the player community in order to express our dissatisfaction with the changes we have been trying to deal with for the past 3 weeks? Do you honestly think we should just shut up and accept things we don't like without expressing our concerns? if so you can go back page upon page in these forums and see that that isn't how we roll. We're a very vocal bunch - not always polite and not always well-expressed, but we try to make our feelings known. If we like something we'll say so. if we don't like something - we'll really say so. That hasn't changed since the game began - we're an international community with members all over the globe; members from every walk of life, every age bracket, every religion, every cultural group you care to point out. We're all different in so many ways, but we're all alike in that we grew to love this game.

Consider the concept of artistic ownership - an author writes a book that means what he intended for it to mean. But as soon as it's read, it also means what the reader perceived it to mean, even if it doesn't match the author's intended meaning. Once it leaves the author's hands he has no control over what it means, and its meaning is always changing. This game legally belongs to Inno, but we all consider it to be our game as well - many of us have paid money to play (some more than others, and yet others considerably more) and we've invested a lot of time in the game as well; we've for better of worse become invested in our characters and in the game. So whether or not it makes sense to anybody else, we also consider this our game. And while we could easily (?) just stop playing and walk away for good, most of us would rather fight to keep it enjoyable. We've made friends here as well and would probably lose touch with them if we left the game - there are as many 'valid' reasons for not wanting to leave the game as there are people who play.

But don't mistake our "trolling" - if that's what you want to call it - for wanton, random venom spewing. We like this game, we've been playing this game for a long time, and given enough motivation we would like to continue playing this game for the foreseeable future. But when such huge changes come our way and the greater part of the game becomes so different that we're no longer comfortable with it - well, it would be stupid NOT to say something. We just tend to choose the easiest, most convenient method of expressing ourselves, which in this case is this particular thread (and maybe a few others). Would you rather that we didn't care enough to complain about things?

And if you care to peel away the rough shell of the messages behind all these posts, you'll find that by and large we are pointing out specific things about the changes that we find distressing. the message is there - it merely wants someone who is willing to see it and understand it.

WanderingStranger

And if you care to peel away the rough shell of the messages behind all these posts, you'll find that by and large we are pointing out specific things about the changes that we find distressing. the message is there - it merely wants someone who is willing to see it and understand it.

I agree. The basic themes are "Forts Building Requirements" (HQs will probably never be built fully or even more than a level or 2) and "Jobs". People blame the time but I posted a while back I didnt mind that. Having 0 Motivation after less than an hour of doing a job or doing a job 20 times for a single drop when you need dozens of them are what annoy people.

I currently dont have a job and can spend many hours a day here. I can only imagine what someone who can only que up 2 hours(4 times) of building windmills is thinking.

Thats an average of 5 days for 1 drop. Total number needed for a fort? 108. 540 days for 1 non-premium player who doesnt play all day like me to collect the tool boxes needed for a single fort. Not to mention all of the other products.

I wouldnt bother if I wasnt premium and had a lot of time so I can see why others dont.

Last edited: