JR's Movie of the Week -- "Mad Max" Trilogy (1979-81-85)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Let's hope it's a good one. I've been renting most (if not all) the movies you suggest. All classics in my opinion.

DeletedUser8950

Alright late but here it is:

The matrix
300px-MatrixCover.jpg

The matrix-love it or hate it, this is the film that re-defined sci-fi films everywhere.

Gone are laser battles. Gone is the cliche plots all sci-fi's end up sharing. Gone is the giant spaceship battles.
Instead what we have is much more plot and character driven, with a intricate plot, and interesting characters. Although that's what I think makes this film so great, it also has some amazing special effects that can still be appreciated today over 10 years onwards.

I cannot be bothered to say much else, but I said I'd get a review up. This is one of the best films in the Sci-fi genre, up there with Star wars and blade runner. The sequels aren't the same, but this film is a must-watch experience.

DeletedUser

The film that defined the action genre for the 21th century. Now everyone want to put martial arts and slow mo to any place they possibly can. Defiantly a future classic, if it isn't one already. Also it proved that that sequels are an excellent way to .... up the first one.

DeletedUser

When I first saw this movie I was, Like most people, blown away by the speciel effects. It was a visual treat. The story wasn't too bad either although it has been done many times before. It reminded me of Star Wars stright away.

Unfortunately I feel that it has failed to last the test of time. Now that we are used to the visaul delights of this film, the plot of the story and the acting just don't attract the viewers attention. Keanu Reeves always sounds like he's going to say "Dude" at the end of every sentance. A legacy from his Bill & Ted days. The story, as I've said, well it's Star Wars isn't it? A nothing farm boy who feels he's destined for something more and low and behold he is. Tought by a guru who shows him what he's capable of and along with a bunch of side kicks and a love interest he saves the world.

The sequills were ok but got progressively worse in the plot as we got used the the visuals. The death scene of Trinity in the 3rd movie was painful to watch. Just die already.

Overall, a great breakthough movie. It will go down in history for it's stunning visuals and can still be good fun to watch but it doesn't have the edge any more that made it so originally striking.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thanks for your contributions guys and gals.

It's time for a new movie.

I don't know what to pick now, and work is hectic these days.
Suggestions are welcome.

DeletedUser

Can't say I've gotten around to see that one yet, sadly.
Heard about it years ago, and have wanted to see it ever since.
SOme things just end up getting delayed though, if you know what i mean.

Any other suggestions?

DeletedUser

I know I've suggested it, but it's just a question. Have you seen Pope of Greenwich Village yet?

DeletedUser

Hey njubs, how about letting me know when you pose a new movie, so I can change the title of the thread at the onset, instead of at the end of the week, when I finally get around to noticing you changed to a different movie, and you're ready to change to another movie? Omg, seriously.

DeletedUser

Full Metal Jacket (1987)

220px-Full_Metal_Jacket_poster.jpg

Directed by: Stanley Kubrick
Starring: Matthew Modine, Adam Baldwin, Vincent D'Onofrio, R. Lee Ermey

Looks like were back to 'Nam with this one. You may remember that some time ago I rewied another film about Vietnam, which was Apocalypse now. Well this one is nothing like the last one. Kubrick proves us that there is no genre he couldn't master.

The film is in two parts. The first one follows a group of recruits trough a brutal training course to become a US marine. Their drill officer Hartman has one mission and one mission only: To turn them into killing machines. Obviously not everyone is suited for the kind of training that they get. The film shows that what happens when one is pushed to far or in other words ,,totally section 8''.
The second part of the film focuses on the graduates who are sent to action. All the horrors are clearly portrayed, also the reasons why that war was so unpopular. Nevertheless Kubric adds many jokes and humorous situations into an otherwise serious film.

Pogue Colonel: Marine, what is that button on your body armor?
Private Joker: A peace symbol, sir.
Pogue Colonel: Where'd you get it?
Private Joker: I don't remember, sir.
Pogue Colonel: What is that you've got written on your helmet?
Private Joker: "Born to Kill", sir.
Pogue Colonel: You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?
Private Joker: No, sir.

DeletedUser

Love that movie.

Excellent.

Hmm... I might just see it real soon now that you've reminded me! :D

DeletedUser

I love this movie :)

"This is my rifle"
This is my gun"
"This is for fighting"
"This is for fun"

:hmf:

DeletedUser

Seems we are way overdue another movie guys and gals.

I guess we miight have had this movie at some time or another, but this movie deserves to be mentioned again.

This weeks movie is none other than the top ranked movie at IMDB.com.

"The Shawshank Redemption"

See it, discuss it, let's get going.
Hell, I have long procastinated buying my own copy but that changes this very weekend.

DeletedUser

So, anyone want to present a movie?

If not, I shall have one for you within the next few days.

DeletedUser

I could use a good movie to see..

John, have you seen these three people in a movie?

good_bad_ugly-219x300.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.