[SaltineJesus] Western Week of NonViolence and My Journey

DeletedUser1105

I fail to see how people will stop using violence in a situation where that person would 'normally' use violence, just because of some designated week.

People either have the self control and/or the patience to not resort to violence in any given situation or they don't. The fact that it is non-violence week will not change the outcome of any potentially violent situations.

DeletedUser

SJ, while I respect your ideals and opinions, there are, on this game, two character classes which, if not encourage violence, certainly make it an inevitability. I neither believe you to be fighting or battling, but you would appear to be fighting a losing battle. I myself am soldier class, and although in reality I am not a violent person, the escape from reality that this game offers is often violent and bloody. In this game, which I believe the aim of is to be highly ranked (obviously personal opinion), the way for myself to become so is through duelling other players as it gives me the most experience and money.

This is not a personal attack on you or your beliefs, I just personally believe the general objectives in this game to be counter-productive to what you're trying to achieve. So perhaps a nicer game would be more to your liking?

DeletedUser1105

I agree with steveland. It's like going onto the Tribal Wars forum and saying 'Nobody should attack anyone else this week'. It's not going to happen.

Even if it did, it acheives absolutely nothing. Me going duelling another character on a game is not a violent act in real life. It's a computer game.

I understand you may want to promote non-violence week. I don't agree that it will have any benefit, but I can see why you would. However, there is a time and a place for this, and I believe a game forum is not that place.

You would probably be offended if I declared the week after 'World Violence Week - go out and punch someone in the face!'.

Please keep these forums about The West, and not about anything else that has no significance to the game.

DeletedUser

Take this designated week as a string tied around one's finger to be conscious of those times in one's life where one is tempted to act with some sort of violence towards another and has the choice not to. I will not argue that the mechanics of this world permit violence, but this is a pact that says for just a few days we will all set it aside and reflect upon our own behavior. Perhaps something will stick, perhaps it won't, but with no attempt at all then progress is guaranteed to be frozen.

Whether or not you see the use in it is disheartening to me but ultimately not my objective. Are you saying that others have not the right to participate? Are you saying that they should be forbidden from making this gesture, no matter how small it might be?

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it."

One of the fathers of the nonviolence movement uttered this. Why do you suppose that is?

DeletedUser

Although this isn't simcity (or simwest), I have taken your comments on board SJ. And whether this was your intention or not, I will be conscious of non-violence week in real life, but will unfortunately choose to ignore it while in-game.

EDIT: And of course others have the right to participate, freedom of will being what it is.

DeletedUser1105

I am not saying people should be forbidden in taking part. I'm just saying that it has NO RELEVENCE in this game. In-game violence is not real violence. Nobody gets hurt, (except somebody's ego :-))

What I am saying is that this type of thing should find a better home elsewhere. It will not do anything at all.

Great, some people are not going to duel for week on an internet game.

Let's say, just for example, that EVERYBODY on The West signs up to this thing. Nobody duels for a week. What have you acheived?

Nothing.

People (in real life) who are going to be violent in any situation will be violent regardless of knowing it is non-violence week.

Anyway, I refuse to sign up to this silly idea either in real life or in game. I don't need to be preached at to be non-violent. People that need reminding to be non-violent are not going to change their ways anyway.

DeletedUser

I agree with steveland. It's like going onto the Tribal Wars forum and saying 'Nobody should attack anyone else this week'. It's not going to happen.

If you look at my initial post, a few people already have signed on. That seems to refute you quite quickly. If I was looking for 100% participation I would sooner have taken to drink.

Even if it did, it acheives absolutely nothing. Me going duelling another character on a game is not a violent act in real life. It's a computer game.

If you have never gotten up from a game of any kind with a frustration or anger due to what had been dealt to you I would seriously question your sincerity.

I understand you may want to promote non-violence week. I don't agree that it will have any benefit, but I can see why you would. However, there is a time and a place for this, and I believe a game forum is not that place.

Nonviolence to fully take root in the soul requires it to be incorporated in all areas of one's life.

You would probably be offended if I declared the week after 'World Violence Week - go out and punch someone in the face!'.

Me and the entire rational population of the planet. This argument does nothing for your cause. I aim for the good of humanity, you apparently have an anger management problem.

Please keep these forums about The West, and not about anything else that has no significance to the game.

Every time someone runs out of rational things to reply they turn to this. Towns have been run out, people have lost all they have worked for, bitter arguments have caused people to leave entirely. This absolutely has relevance.

Although this isn't simcity (or simwest), I have taken your comments on board SJ. And whether this was your intention or not, I will be conscious of non-violence week in real life, but will unfortunately choose to ignore it while in-game.

You're a good soul, child.

DeletedUser

I want to be barbie myself! ;)

SaltineJesus said:
You're a good soul, child.
I realise this wasn't your intention, but I do find being called "child" rather patronising.

DeletedUser

I view myself as a child as well, if that helps any. There is a stark difference between being childlike and childish and I refer to the former when I speak. Many important things we forget in the course of growing old.

DeletedUser

I want to have a Barbie in my town! Only Barbies older than 18 years can be invited!

DeletedUser

Someone isn't going to think "Actually, I won't batter this guy with a metal bar - it's non-violence week'.

Good sir, I am offended by this.

I think it every day~

As to your other question, I'm a man who loves God and reason. How else should I portray myself?

A fro, a goatee, and a big, golden cross hanging from your neck in multi-colored robes. :D

I myself am soldier class, and although in reality I am not a violent person, the escape from reality that this game offers is often violent and bloody.

A soldier represents freedom. A soldier represents a shield for those whom they defend with their lives. Each soldier is an individual, but as a whole, they represent their country and the lives of all those who wish to continue living happily in this world. They do not promote violence; quite the opposite. They promote peace, and respect, and dignity. It is true they are sent off to wage bloody battles in the name of their countries, but it is we who send them to protect freedom, not they who wish to go to war.

Though, I don't know if I can say this anymore with the utmost confidence for the American soldiers I see today. It seems some morals have dropped, or they're too desperate for extra man power. Either way, what I see them do from time to time makes me sick.

Lastly, bloody and violent? In this game? Yeah, real **** we got going on here. I wish I could just fade out of existence when I'm killed and wake up in a 5 star hotel. Come on.

If you look at my initial post, a few people already have signed on. That seems to refute you quite quickly. If I was looking for 100% participation I would sooner have taken to drink.

Sometimes I think you might need one.

If you have never gotten up from a game of any kind with a frustration or anger due to what had been dealt to you I would seriously question your sincerity.

Truest thing I've seen you write since you started posting.

This would actually be a good thing. You need a better title, though. Something along the lines of "Release stress through unrestricted social interactions week".

You forget, point*****s love this type of thinking. It is not completely about The West, but at least it has some connection.

Plus, you seem to enjoy the debate. :p

Take this designated week as a string tied around one's finger to be conscious of those times in one's life where one is tempted to act with some sort of violence towards another and has the choice not to. I will not argue that the mechanics of this world permit violence, but this is a pact that says for just a few days we will all set it aside and reflect upon our own behavior. Perhaps something will stick, perhaps it won't, but with no attempt at all then progress is guaranteed to be frozen.

And over in Iran we see.... Heads flying! Chicka chicka bow wow.

DeletedUser

Don't think it hasn't occured to me. Better men than I have turned to it.

SaltineJesus, are you a Preacher or something?

I know you are a Religious person, but I don't hold anything against from you though, just asking.

DeletedUser

Black Jack said:
A soldier represents freedom. A soldier represents a shield for those whom they defend with their lives. Each soldier is an individual, but as a whole, they represent their country and the lives of all those who wish to continue living happily in this world. They do not promote violence; quite the opposite. They promote peace, and respect, and dignity. It is true they are sent off to wage bloody battles in the name of their countries, but it is we who send them to protect freedom, not they who wish to go to war.

Yes I agree. I never said otherwise.

Though, I don't know if I can say this anymore with the utmost confidence for the American soldiers I see today. It seems some morals have dropped, or they're too desperate for extra man power. Either way, what I see them do from time to time makes me sick.

Kind of contradicts the previous paragraph, no?

Lastly, bloody and violent? In this game? Yeah, real **** we got going on here. I wish I could just fade out of existence when I'm killed and wake up in a 5 star hotel. Come on.

Ok you've proved me wrong. I am flawed, unlike you, Black Jack! :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

No need to get sarcastic with me. If you want bloody and violent, this really isn't it.

I wasn't contradicting myself. There was a time when soldiers were at least well-behaved and could be respected. I'm saying that since this current war has been so prolonged, I'm seeing more and more videos of soldiers in Iraq terrorizing the citizens. I can understand boredom, but they don't need to be having fun at the expense of others.

DeletedUser

I know it's not bloody and violent. And yes, I did get it wrong. It just seemed to me like you were trying to prove who had the biggest pair, going off on such a long-winded rant. But as I can see from this post, you can be respectful at times.

Soldiers: Well behaved, respected: yes (sometimes at least).

But I refuse to believe that any soldier who joins the army isn't there because of the "action" factor.