This forum: Finally getting our genders straight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I thought gender was supposed to be irrelevent in these enlightened times !?

DeletedUser14280

That's true, gender is irrelevent.
Gender-specific PRONOUNS, though, are not.

...Does that make sense? I think it does...

DeletedUser

so i didn't know what a/s/l is. so i looked it up. it is age/sex/location for those people that don't know. i dont want to, or care to, know any persons a/s/l. why would anyone want people to know this about them anyways?

DeletedUser

This forum: Finally getting our genders straight!
Just out of curiosity, do a lot of people here have trouble getting their gender straight?

DeletedUser14280

We have a bit of trouble getting other people's genders straight.
Truth be told, I don't know which Angelaih013 is...

DeletedUser

LOL

Fun celxius. I have a better idea. Make a rule that you need to put on your sign if you are male of female.

*perfect*

DeletedUser

What does it matter what gender the person you are speaking to is?
Im not sure but, When i first got on this forum i couldve sworn i though gem was a guy lol;) (no offence Gem) This would actually be a good idea for this forum. Because there are some names that you can go wrong with. sk8er*MAN* is easy to tell. Obviously..

DeletedUser14280

John Rose is easy to tell, too...at least until you get to the Rose.

Should I create another mockup?
I had another idea of where to stick the gender thing.

...Actually, no, I could just tell.
We could have the gender entry next to location, on our posts, on text.

DeletedUser3717

What does it matter what gender the person you are speaking to is?

So we can haz them on our msnz and 1337 seek themz kay?

But as it so happens I agree with Monkey, Who cares? If somebody accidentaly calls you a male or a female correct them, problem solved :)

DeletedUser

The only time I'd see it as offensive is if it happened in a face-to-face encounter. I did have a friend years ago who was called sir when she was being fitted for a pair of shoes. I would have been irate, but she thought it was hilarious.

DeletedUser14280

If I might resurrect this thread...

I noticed that the Giant in the Playground forum has a similar design to this one.
I suspect that that one and this one use the same forum software.

I also noticed that some (not all) of the people at GitP's forum, had their genders clearly indicated.
With that in mind, I doubt it'd be hard to put genders into this forum, too.

DeletedUser

If I might resurrect this thread...

I noticed that the Giant in the Playground forum has a similar design to this one.
I suspect that that one and this one use the same forum software.

I also noticed that some (not all) of the people at GitP's forum, had their genders clearly indicated.
With that in mind, I doubt it'd be hard to put genders into this forum, too.

You bumped the thread to repeat something I already said...

it would just require enabling the gender field in profiles.

My source was the vBulletin manual. Did you assume I was guessing?

DeletedUser14280

You bumped the thread to repeat something I already said...
My bad, I probably didn't notice that one.
But you also said in that post:
I really don't see why it's necessary. As far as adding an icon by the user's name goes, I don't think it would be possible in vBulletin without using a hack.
...And the thingies in GitP do have little gender icons.

So, should the gender field be enabled?

DeletedUser

I certainly don't want people to know my gender. I used to use a non-specific username because of all the men on the internet piggybacking females. Now, it won't happen here as I am a moderator however in every other game I play I do not tell anyone I am a girl.

This is a private thing to know about someone, and should be given with trust, not because you have to. There is always a chance someone would lie anyway (like the popular tactic -- pretend to be a girl to get people to be nice to you, or to sucker some guys in).

I strongly feel this information should be kept private, unless given by the person.

Also: I quite like it when I get called a man. I've been preened by the internet for a long time. Quite nice to be taken seriously mentally, then people know you're a girl. You still get that respect of earning it properly, not by kudos. Beauty and brains ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.