Heaven or Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser8950

If all those righteous christians go to heaven, I'd rather burn.
Seems like a better way to spend eternity.
Lol!:DYou must spread some Reputation around before giving it to John Rose agai
Nice hyperbole there Hellstromm(dont ask me why I put Divest earlier)

"
Hyperbole

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the term used in rhetoric. For the mathematical term, see Hyperbola.
Hyperbole (pronounced /haɪˈpɜrbəliː/ hye-PER-bə-lee[1]) comes from ancient Greek "ὑπερβολή" (meaning excess or exaggeration) and is a figure of speech in which statements are exaggerated. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is rarely meant to be taken literally.
Hyperbole is used to create emphasis. It is a literary device often used in poetry, and is frequently encountered in casual speech. It is also a visual technique in which a deliberate exaggeration of a particular part of an image is employed. An example is the exaggeration of a person's facial feature in a political cartoon."

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Good lord people, I log off for the night and I come back to WALLOFTEXTDOOM

DeletedUser

I think Darknoon is trying to point out what I was attempting to infer, which is that hyperbole does not mean what Divest thinks it means. :)

DeletedUser

I used it correctly: I said something, you guys took it out of context and exaggerated my claims via hyperbole (green magical dragon crap or whatever you ladies were saying).

DeletedUser

nope, wasn't taken out of context, nor was hyperbole presented. Fantastical ideas of what happens when you die are no more hyperbolic than the examples presented. In fact, the comment of "no life on Mars," and the comment about "rhino poop has no magical properties" are not hyperbole, nor fantasy, while the comment about no dancing purple dragons is a comparable fantasy to that of heaven & hell.

So sorry, no cookie for you.

DeletedUser

*Back to heaven or hell*

Well, in Hell you can not have a vehicle that runs on gasoline or has rubber tires because the extreme heat would synge them to a crisp. The constant meteorites striking and fireballs would also destroy the common electric car. You would have to walk, and would be unprotected so demons would grab you and torture you... Sounds fun if you are masochistic...

And in heaven, you can't have cars because they would obviously fall through the clouds, you would be able to fly and go everywhere, whoopie. It would be pointless to have a helicopter since you can fly, but you could still have one. Yay...
It really depends on your view of heaven, wether it be live in all things holy in the bible and no sins, or a life of milk and honey with 70 virgins...

I like heaven!

DeletedUser

nope, wasn't taken out of context, nor was hyperbole presented. Fantastical ideas of what happens when you die are no more hyperbolic than the examples presented.

None of which I presented. You see, unlike you ladies, I don't pretend to know what's going to happen after we die. I didn't state any fantastical ideas about what happens, all I said is that we have absolutely no clue. That was taken and exaggerated. You don't think your magical purple invisible rhino poop was taking what I said out of context and exaggerated? Then that's your silly opinion.

DeletedUser

None of which I presented. You see, unlike you ladies, I don't pretend to know what's going to happen after we die. I didn't state any fantastical ideas about what happens, all I said is that we have absolutely no clue.
Besides the fact that's "not all you said," it's also not true. We know exactly what happens to the brain when it is denied oxygen, and thus what occurs to the synaptic connections within the brain. Our personality, memory, etc are tied into all those continuously maintained electrical synaptic connections, like memory in your computer's RAM. Turn off the computer, all that is stored in RAM goes *poof.* When the human brain turns off, *poof*, there goes everything.

We also know full well what happens to the human body. It breaks down and becomes fertilizer, just like every other organic creature.

Now, if people want to believe that somehow all those synaptic connections are maintained 'outside' the human body, and floats up (or down), magically transported by winged (or horned) creatures into a haven of bliss (or a pit of misery), that's fantasy. It's not based on any evidence whatsoever. It's not what we don't know, it's what is exceedingly unlikely, based on our understanding of biology, organic chemistry, and human anatomy.

magical rhino poop is no more viable than heaven or hell, except in the fantasies maintained by those who wish to "believe." And, just because there happen to be a lot of people "believing" one fantasy or another, doesn't make one fantasy more plausible than another. But, to the point of what Adelei presented, it's not necessary to add, "that we know of..." because just such a disclaimer could be added to everything we say on every topic under the Sun (or over it, for that matter).

Look at those cartoons I posted earlier. Hyperbole is being demonstrated there. Look at the description posted by Darknoon. That is what hyperbole means. Look at your application of the word in these discussions. Doesn't resemble either the examples in those cartoons, nor the dictionary definition of the word. Stop being so stubborn. People make mistakes with words all the time, but when you get stubborn about it, it makes you look stupid, which I would like to believe is not the case.

DeletedUser

Besides the fact that's "not all you said," it's also not true. We know exactly what happens to the brain when it is denied oxygen, and thus what occurs to the synaptic connections within the brain. Our personality, memory, etc are tied into all those continuously maintained electrical synaptic connections, like memory in your computer's RAM. Turn off the computer, all that is stored in RAM goes *poof.* When the human brain turns off, *poof*, there goes everything.

We also know full well what happens to the human body. It breaks down and becomes fertilizer, just like every other organic creature.

Now, if people want to believe that somehow all those synaptic connections are maintained 'outside' the human body, and floats up (or down), magically transported by winged (or horned) creatures into a haven of bliss (or a pit of misery), that's fantasy. It's not based on any evidence whatsoever. It's not what we don't know, it's what is exceedingly unlikely, based on our understanding of biology, organic chemistry, and human anatomy.

magical rhino poop is no more viable than heaven or hell, except in the fantasies maintained by those who wish to "believe." And, just because there happen to be a lot of people "believing" one fantasy or another, doesn't make one fantasy more plausible than another. But, to the point of what Adelei presented, it's not necessary to add, "that we know of..." because just such a disclaimer could be added to everything we say on every topic under the Sun (or over it, for that matter).

Look at those cartoons I posted earlier. Hyperbole is being demonstrated there. Look at the description posted by Darknoon. That is what hyperbole means. Look at your application of the word in these discussions. Doesn't resemble either the examples in those cartoons, nor the dictionary definition of the word. Stop being so stubborn. People make mistakes with words all the time, but when you get stubborn about it, it makes you look stupid, which I would like to believe is not the case.

Soul=!Mind. Once we shed our wretched flesh, our soul is whisked to the heavens above to spend all eternity in God's grace!!!

Well, at least my soul will. Unbelievers will have theirs burn forever in hellfire. Tough luck.

DeletedUser

I can't imagine what it's like to cease to exist... it's almost disturbing to the point where if I believed that there would be nothing, I would just give up right now. Why continue if it's all so meaningless? If it's all just a big black nothing without consciousness...

I have an inability to understand what nothingness is, I think. I don't know what to believe, but I sure as hell don't want to come to terms that there very well could be nothing. I would rather operate on a "what if" and keep going the way I'm going and sort out the issues later.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

And that's the bite. Indeed Divest, that is the very reason why people create beliefs, religions, fantastical notions about "souls spirited away into cloudy neverlands." Man has evolved to the point they realize there's really no point to our existence, except to propagate the species. So, we create reasons. Wealth, fame, notoriety, limited-frame perspectives on immortality through children, art, music, constructs, and fantasies of an afterlife. All of these provide the fulfillment of purpose. Some actually serve to assist in the propagation, or survival, of the species, while most serve merely to assuage the insecurities imposed by cold, hard truth.

DeletedUser

Now, if people want to believe that somehow all those synaptic connections are maintained 'outside' the human body, and floats up (or down), magically transported by winged (or horned) creatures into a haven of bliss (or a pit of misery), that's fantasy.

Actually, isn't that Faith?

People make mistakes with words all the time, but when you get stubborn about it, it makes you look stupid, which I would like to believe is not the case.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."
Mark Twain (not exact but close enough on the wording)

NEVER ARGUE WITH A FOOL

It is best not to argue,
But if you do at all,
Never do so with a fool.
A fool can defeat all.

He does not care for the facts.
He does not know debate.
He’s a stranger to reason.
Logic he can negate.

In the end the fool will win,
His logic is so strong!
Decides what he does not like
And then it must be wrong!

It’s better to keep quiet
When challenged by a fool.
Else, to prove his own wisdom,
He will make you a tool.

It is hence my policy
To not respond to those
Who ask questions not to learn
But to be bellicose.

DeletedUser

Hmm, believing in a fantasy is merely belief. Living their lives according to those beliefs is faith. Oh, and Mark Twain was too caught up in appearances, a product of his time. To label someone a fool denies you, the person, an opportunity to learn a different perspective or, at the very least, an awareness that someone would actually maintain such a perspective. Still, his words are sound and once I determine there is nothing more to learn or teach, or very little in contrast to the pitfalls, I discontinue a debate.

DeletedUser

Oh for the sake of St.Patrick! Can we just stop trying to maul each other and get back to the original thread?

DeletedUser

Uh... this is kind of... you know, the thread.

I mean, this isn't placed in Off Topic to where this is a counting thread. A new path was taken and it all led up to this point -- to this very discussion we're having. What you're basically asking us to do is start over and that is the very thing I'm not willing to do.

DeletedUser

I can't imagine what it's like to cease to exist... it's almost disturbing to the point where if I believed that there would be nothing, I would just give up right now. Why continue if it's all so meaningless? If it's all just a big black nothing without consciousness...

I have an inability to understand what nothingness is, I think. I don't know what to believe, but I sure as hell don't want to come to terms that there very well could be nothing. I would rather operate on a "what if" and keep going the way I'm going and sort out the issues later.

This is the old, "I don't like it so it must not be true", argument...

DeletedUser

Soul=!Mind. Once we shed our wretched flesh, our soul is whisked to the heavens above to spend all eternity in God's grace!!!

Well, at least my soul will. Unbelievers will have theirs burn forever in hellfire. Tough luck.

We have as much reason to believe in a "soul" as we do in those pesky invisible flying dragons doing the tango on my forehead (they really give me a headache at this time in the morning).

DeletedUser

If that's all you got out of my statement then you missed the entire point.

No, that's all your statement was.

Yeah? And so? Does that mean it's not true? Does that mean we should qualify "there is no afterlife" with "that we are aware of" because YOU would "give up" and feel "it's all so meaningless"?

What is true, is true. What you feel about it is completely meaningless...

So you have an inability to understand what nothingness is... First, like you have an ability to understand what perfection is? In the case of heaven, it is supposed to be perfectly wonderful, in the case of hell, perfectly awful.

Second, so what? Assuming that is what actually is, your inability to understand has absolutely no effect on what actually is...

And, what you "want to come to terms with" is irrelevant. Reality doesn't care what you'd "rather", either.

Status
Not open for further replies.