The West Newspaper - help wanted.

DeletedUser1105

I didn't understand a word of that Gem, but it sounded good! :D

I'll let you have whatever Da Twista comes up with and you can play with it :), thank you.

DeletedUser

im going to help promote this, and send a link to thread to the AH family. see if anyone wants to help.

DeletedUser

yup. already sent it to all our town founders, with links, and asked them to send it to their town members as well.

DeletedUser

i can send messgaes to the leaders of big towns i have some free time
i reckon thisl work

DeletedUser

as long as we got enough people spreading the news, we should be able to get this going.

DeletedUser8627

If someone can get me a design, (I see lots of people are interested so I won't apply for that!) I can make it into a full template with cross browser compatibility etc.
Maybe even a posting interface if you want to go down that route.

Sounds very nice :~

Posting interface? I'm not too sure what you are meaning on this...:huh:

I have been playing a little here, I have a newspaper page design at hand which is looking pretty good. But also got meself a scroll type effect which is looking even better.

Not sure how a scroll will fit into the theme of this but hey it's worth a try I'm sure. :)

I'll be sending my PM off in the morning though, going to sit tonight with some coffee and CS and play a little more.

DeletedUser

I'm a former newspaper reporter. What sort of stories did you have in mind.

DeletedUser1105

Any that are related to The West or this forum. It could be factual pieces about things like the next update, an opinion piece on things like duelling ethics or a report on a lively discussion happening in the forum.

Whoever wanted to do it would hopefully be able to come up with some ideas too, and we may get some from the rest of the community here. If we get up and running, the features reporter could ask for people to PM him with article ideas if none could be thought of.

DeletedUser

Well, if you think of an idea that merits a story, let me know. I'll do some interviews and crank out a story for publication.

DeletedUser

We'll see how it goes. I used to do a tribal newsletter back in my tribalwars.net days. But at some point it got to be a lot of work. So at this point I'll offer to pitch in and we'll see how things pan out. I can find some online stories if you want to see examples of my work.

DeletedUser5046

by te way...speaking of copyright...you know how much i love te campfire story thread..and we are somehow serious on making stories...

so i wanted to know if we can secure te stories...because they are precious to every RPers here...its from their own mind...they should have credits :)

DeletedUser

One thing I'd be curious about knowing, is how receptive people like Morthy or Gem or others are to this idea. Because some of the information we would want for stories would have to come from them. For example, I think a numbers story would be interesting, just in the sense of things like: how many servers around the globe play this game, how many countries, how many people are playing this specific server, how many play each world, how many staff oversee things. Things like that. What is the most common reason of bans. How many are issued a day or week. But for a lot of those answers, we'd need at least 15-30 minutes a week from someone in a position of authority.

DeletedUser

Im sorry if someone else has applied for this but I have some spare time and I wish to go for Reporter - Humour/Quirky.

Cheers.

DeletedUser1105

You are the first Teaandscones, so thank you. I'll PM you to discuss it further.

As for admin participation, I know Gem is positive about this and is working with Da Twista to come up with the design side of things. If you wanted more from her, you could ask (she is normally willing to help if she can).

As for Morthy, I have sent him a PM so we will see.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Old western newspapers were very basic, providing little to no graphics and organized in 4 to 7 columns, with the banner separated from the lower text by a double line and colums separated by single lines. Being as respectful as I possibly can, I just don't see that as something I would want to read here on the forums.

Which means you'll need to aim for something that "looks" authentic, but is entirely contrived.

You can replicate most templates on word or publisher anyway.
Ugh, you have got to be kidding. While rocneasta was a bit harsh with his/her initial post, he/she does have a point. If you work with limited software, you obtain limited results and you cannot readily grab a template and import it from a good program into a crappy one.

Also, Word, Publisher, and PowerPoint all really suck. Seriously, they're the most dang annoying programs out there if you want to produce quality presentation work. Part of the problem is that they hide much of the format information, so you spend half your time just trying to fight the program. Better to use OpenOffice programs, although they're not much better when it comes to desktop publishing.

I think rocneasta's point is valid, in that people with significant skill rarely like to volunteer their work just to watch it get butchered. Not to be critical, but I think they will need more to go on if you wish to obtain quality volunteers, including your expertise as an eic, in editing, layout, graphics, typography, English and/or journalism.

Moving on --- as it seems sdjx22 is endeavoring to be the editor-in-chief of a community newsletter, I think the initial scale and scope needs to be predetermined. For example, do you intend on displaying it in this forum, or do you intend on merely providing a link?

If it is the former, then the final document will need to be converted to a graphic (preferably jpg), placed on photobucket, and then displayed. You'll need to know the max graphic dimensions allowed on this forum.

If it is the latter, I recommend converting to pdf. If you're planning otherwise, you probably should inform prospective volunteers. Indesign is presently the best available tool for the job, but considering this isn't a job, you can get away with grossly limited software.

You'll need to consider content editing, to scale within the available space. This, and style continuity, requires more talent than merely drop and run, so a good grasp of the English language is insufficient. Writers don't like to contribute, just to watch their articles shortened (often referred to as draconian copy editing), so when it is done (and it will need to be done almost every time), it needs to be done respectfully. This skill is especially crucial if you're working with contributors that not applying inverted pyramid writing (i.e., not trained in old-school journalism).

To keep people interested, I think you should consider publishing it at least twice a month. And deadline is critical. There is absolutely no chance that you'll ever get all the content you wanted at the time you wanted it, so take what you have and run with it. Late publication has plenty of negatives. The ones relevant here would be:

• Irrelevance --- Articles are generally either news (timely) or features (evergreen). News articles are time-dependent and cannot be presented late without undermining the relevance. Old news is old news and people will more than likely have already heard about it from other means, thus making your newsletter irrelevant.

• Habit Forming / Catering --- if you put off a deadline to wait for people to get their content to you, they'll get into the habit of providing content late (this is especially true with volunteers).

• Dominoe Effect --- if you're late once, you'll have less time to get the next one out on time, which usually means you'll deliver the next one late too. And so on and so forth.

• Lowered Expectations --- A fanbase will develop if there are reliable release dates. The more unreliable, the more unlikely a fanbase (just like the anticipated Fort (hint)).
You must have a good grasp of the english language, by which I mean the ability to construct proper sentances/paragraphs and put together a well written article.
Actually, old western newspapers were notorious for poor grammar and spelling, so I think you'll do just fine. *smirk*

Alright, that's enough typing for me today.

DeletedUser

OK, Sdjx, you let me know what they say. And then give me a general or vague direction for a story or two and I'll contribute. I play in Worlds 1, 3 and 6, so I'm available in those in-game, although primarily in World 1 most often.

DeletedUser

i'm a full grown He, just to point out irrelevant thing :)

p.s. it's not that i'm saying i'm uber cool for knowing some layout/vector programs it's just that it's so simple to edit/design things in them rather than to go back to the program which in all fareness is not ment to be used that way