Add-on The Saloon Bar - Older versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

The saloonbar won't work in the new world of the west.nl (dutch world)

Any idea what could be wrong? New instal, or the saloonbar not compatible with new worlds?

DeletedUser

I've never tested the extension outside of the .net servers...until now. I've just created a Dutch account and tested the saloonbar and it works just fine.

The likely explanation is that you're not running the latest version of the extension. Before version 2.7, the update failed (silently) if you weren't wearing all possible equipment, riding a horse and carrying around some product. Given that you say the world is new it's possible that you haven't got yourself a donkey yet and with older versions that's a problem.

Download the latest version and see if that helps. Let me know if it doesn't.

DeletedUser

it works now! Thnxs,

I had an older version indeed. Didn't know you had an update :)

Thnxs for the q awnser

DeletedUser

At some point, it should start updating automatically. Basically, it needs the editors at the Mozilla site to approve it so it's no longer an "experimental" add-on.

Glad it works anyway.

DeletedUser

Ok - I've got a question for anyone "official"...

If the Saloon Bar was updated to allow it to switch your currently equipped gear around would that contravene the rules on automation? It's saving a maximum of 7 clicks by the user and I am in no way suggesting that it would schedule jobs for you - simply take some of the mouse-work out of changing your clothing etc.

DeletedUser

Yeah, pretty much.

I'm not actually sure whether it's possible or not to implement - I just don't want to waste time trying if it's not going to be legal.

DeletedUser

iv just set it up looks good it's sure easyer than changeing tabs to weststats

DeletedUser8269

I've addressed a few issues in the latest version (2.6) - which is now available via the official Mozilla site. If you've already installed from this site, I believe you'll get the update automatically...eventually. Until the whole extension gets editorial approval on the site you may need to update manually. Sorry I can't be more positive - I tend to have the latest version so it's tough to test what happens if you don't!

Anyhow, the latest version means less scrolling. Yes, no more having to move up and down to find the job and then see what to wear. Equipment advice is now displayed in a static location. It's smaller but it's easy to find.

Meanwhile, I've found myself having to hunt down a job from time to time. Need a tool box for your fort but can't find the "Building windmills" job? Well, now you can sort your job list by name. Could it get any easy?

Finally, I've updated the calculations so that equipment you can't wear due to insufficient level is disregarded. If you've got equipment for the opposite sex then that might still show up in advice but, honestly, why are you still carrying those high heels around anyhow? You're never going to fit into them and purple's just not your colour...

"but, honestly, why are you still carrying those high heels around anyhow?"
Ehrm... because after finding them its the safest way to keep the money ? If I sell everything I find and I cant use, like female clothing, Im just duelling lodder.
I havent tried it yet tbh. I will soon probably. But if it advises me to wear the High Heels because I have them in my inventory since I have nowhere to store $2000 orso, in my opinion thats a bug.
Maybe I overread it but basically 1 quick question : The lastest version, does it calculate everything correct ? (including combinations of items sets which occur a lot, mostly a donkey and tequila orso)

Cheers,
Gryph

DeletedUser

Fair point. I could address the gender problem.

Does it calculate everything correctly with regards to combinations of item sets? Possibly not. It will only make suggestions including items from one set. Therefore, if a better option exists using a combination of item sets, this won't be calculated correctly.

I might try to address that at some point but it's a complex problem to work out. The gender one...? Not so complex.

DeletedUser8269

hmmm I cant get it to work, not sure whats wrong

Firefox 3.5.2
Saloon Bar 2.8
English version of TheWest (world 3)

Clicking 'Update Details' doesnt do anything at all. Firefox also keeps responding so not like the import is happening on the background and Im not patient enough :)

Any ideas ?

Gryph

DeletedUser

Sounds like something's causing it to bug out during the job calculations.

Try uninstalling version 2.8 and using version 2.7. I've tried 2.8 myself without seeing any problems but 2.7 has been out there for longer so it has been through more road-testing.

Oh - before you uninstall - can you confirm whether clicking Update Details without having your inventory open pops up a message telling you to open your inventory?

Apologies for the inconvenience...

DeletedUser8269

No problem for the inconveniences, bugs happen (Im a software engineer myself :p)
But I cant confirm what you're asking. It doesnt matter what I do, what screen I have open, if its a random internet site, The West, or The West inventory page.
Just nothing happens. At all. The 'Update Details' more acts like an image to me than a button.

Could it have something to do with Firefox 3.5.2 ? In all posts I have only read its been tested up to 3.5.1 ....

Edit :
When I close down and start a new session and havent opened my inventory yet, it does give me the popup.
When I then open my inventory and Update Details, nothing happens
When I then open a random other page nothing happens again, it doesnt give me the popup anymore. Only the first time it seems

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

No problem for the inconveniences, bugs happen (Im a software engineer myself :p)
Ahh, marvellous. Always good to deal with someone who knows about decent bug reports. ;)

But I cant confirm what you're asking. It doesnt matter what I do, what screen I have open, if its a random internet site, The West, or The West inventory page.
Just nothing happens. At all. The 'Update Details' more acts like an image to me than a button.

Could it have something to do with Firefox 3.5.2 ? In all posts I have only read its been tested up to 3.5.1 ....

When I checked it last night I was using the latest download of FF - so unless 3.5.2 came out this morning it's unlikely to be that.

When I close down and start a new session and havent opened my inventory yet, it does give me the popup.

Great. That at least means that the JavaScript is coherent. Although, obviously, it would be strange if it were syntactically correct on one installation and not on another...

When I then open my inventory and Update Details, nothing happens

Mundo bizarro. What level/class/sex is your character?

When I then open a random other page nothing happens again, it doesnt give me the popup anymore. Only the first time it seems

It'll only ever do anything if the page in the main FF window is a logged in session of The West. If you try it on something like this forum, it'll just ignore you.

Can you try installing version and seeing if that works? It'd help to know whether it's something particular to the latest version of the add-on or whether it's something particular to you.

DeletedUser8269

Im a level 80 male adventurer (with about 300 items in inventory)
Checking all possible options to see if I can make some sense out of it (reproduction etc).

Will try 2.7 soon I think, though my daughter is waking up so I have to get her out of bed too)

keep you updated, Im interested in where the bug is too

UPDATE :
Deinstalled 2.8
Installed 2.7
Working fine now (with 2.7)

First impression: Very nice tool, but why dont you make the job icons a lot smaller ? I can do all but 8 jobs atm, and Im also intereseted in the other 8 since I want to be able to do them and therefore know how much labour Im short. That means (still) quite some scrolling. Id try resizing the job images and make sure at least 4, preferrably 6 each row.
Or maybe add a popupsearchcontrol right beneath the Name, Money, Exp, Luck and Total icons (same control as in the mini-map in The West itself) so people can choose the job there too. There is enough space I think t make the list contain all jobs without scrollbar, and then let people decide what to use.
I'd definately prefer the popupsearchcontrol :)

Anyway, I still cant get 2.8 to work at Firefox 3.5.2 :p

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Why not make the job icons a lot smaller? Clarity, I guess. Six per row would have a lot of people squinting. Well, that and inertia. I've just used the default image size and nobody has suggested that it might be good to have it otherwise. Until now.

With regards to the 8 jobs you've got outstanding, I take it you've worked out that "Hide Impossible Jobs" can be unchecked so the outstanding jobs are visible, right?

The drop down control like used in the minimap would be fairly straight-forward to add anyhow.

Still no luck with 2.8, huh? Ok...time to take that offline and work out what the hell's going on with it. Thanks for the update.

DeletedUser8269

Ofcourse I noticed the checkbox, I just meant with the 8 outstanding jobs, I just want to see ALL jobs that exist. Then its a long list with large icons.
In my personal opinion, it hurts my eyes :p

if you can make it without scrolling, I think you're making everyone happy.
maybe you could even replace the icons with just (clickable) text. Then the list of jobs might even fit without scrolling either.

and if Im bugging you sorry. I just hate scrolling. :p

DeletedUser

Naah - not bugging me at all. Feedback's good.

Usually, I only tend to look at the tops of the lists (best jobs for money, experience or luck) so I don't find that I scroll much - which is why it hasn't bothered me.

I would guess that the best solution all round is to have an options dialog which allows you to select between:

• Large Icons
  • Small Icons
  • Small Icons with Text
  • Text Only
Then it's up to each individual to choose their preference.

What I wouldn't want to do is switch it to small icons or text only only to have a bunch of other users complain that things are too small/ugly. :dry:

It's certainly something I'll put on my list of things to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.