Add-on The Saloon Bar - Older versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I hadn't tested it with any version beyond 3.0.* so it wouldn't install for 3.5.1. I've now tested in 3.5.1 and it seems to work fine so if you get the latest version it'll do the job for you.

DeletedUser

I am using the 'No Update' version because I lack enough knowledge to chance turning off the security features you mentioned in a previous post.

When I try to install that one Firefox gives me an 'not compatible' error.

DeletedUser

Don't want to turn off the security? Wise move. Always better to play it safe.

What version of Firefox are you running?

DeletedUser

doesnt wrk for me, i open my inventory, and i click update, and it tells me to open my inventory....wha???

DeletedUser

ack, should have been more specific, sorry!

This is the saloonbarNoUpdate.xpi

"The Saloon Bar 2.2 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 3.5.1."

DeletedUser

Huh...that shouldn't happen - but admittedly, I'm not exactly exhaustive with the testing and for some reason FF 3.5.1 makes my colours go into overdrive so I'm stuck back at 3.0.*.

Oh hang on, it was version 2.3 which had 3.5.1 compatibility. Perhaps I forgot to upload the no-update version.

Anyway, I've just uploaded version 2.4 and I'm fairly sure I got both version online. Would you mind downloading the updated file and giving it a try?

Thanks.

DeletedUser

Thank you Sir! Worked like a charm. One thing I just discovered that makes no sense to me but might to you...

The first few versions that I downloaded saved to desktop.....these last few are saving to my downloads folder (I seem to have no control over that during the process). No biggee, since I finally figured it out - but that might be a reason others were not being successful. They didn't realize the newer versions were being thrown in a new spot and they kept trying to update with an older one, but didn't realize it.

DeletedUser

That does sound weird but that's Firefox playing tricks on you and not anything that my extension's versions can have affected.

DeletedUser

To avoid the need for people to fuss about with security changes, I've added the extension to the official Mozilla web site. You can download it from here and it should, I believe, then update automatically.

DeletedUser

I've addressed a few issues in the latest version (2.6) - which is now available via the official Mozilla site. If you've already installed from this site, I believe you'll get the update automatically...eventually. Until the whole extension gets editorial approval on the site you may need to update manually. Sorry I can't be more positive - I tend to have the latest version so it's tough to test what happens if you don't!

Anyhow, the latest version means less scrolling. Yes, no more having to move up and down to find the job and then see what to wear. Equipment advice is now displayed in a static location. It's smaller but it's easy to find.

Meanwhile, I've found myself having to hunt down a job from time to time. Need a tool box for your fort but can't find the "Building windmills" job? Well, now you can sort your job list by name. Could it get any easy?

Finally, I've updated the calculations so that equipment you can't wear due to insufficient level is disregarded. If you've got equipment for the opposite sex then that might still show up in advice but, honestly, why are you still carrying those high heels around anyhow? You're never going to fit into them and purple's just not your colour...

DeletedUser

That is top class work. Very user friendly and great for multi world playing.

Well done Bevoir.

DeletedUser

Love this! Especially now that I know I have to have each slot occupied. :p

DeletedUser

If you get version 2.7 of the extension, that problem is fixed.

With older versions, you had to have each item (head, neck, body, shoes, weapon, product & horse) equipped or it wouldn't calculate your job advice. The latest version has that fixed - so it's now newbie friendly.

DeletedUser

Great idea

It's brilliant! Even if there's some bugs yet, it's still a brilliant idea. I'm going to download it now and in a couple days I'll let you know my opinion.

(Hey, have you thought of, say, integrating the toolbar with westats.com?)

DeletedUser

There aren't any reported bugs at the moment.

Integrating it with WestStats? Well, I originally wrote this because I'm too lazy to switch back and forth between a WestStats window and a West window. Plus I got bored waiting for the job calculator to reload each time I change the world setting on WestStats.

At first, I considered trying to use WestStats' job calculator but, besides not wanting to piggyback onto someone else's efforts (particularly without asking them) I wanted different things from the interface.

I still use Weststats and still think it's great but I wanted a clearer display of what best to wear for each job. I prefer the visual display in the Saloon Bar to the text-based tooltip you get hovering over a job on WestStats. Personal preference, obviously - but it's been my personal preferences driving this from the start. :dry:

The toolbar performs its own calculations and the results are comparable with WestStats. I won't say identical because I haven't checked every combination of jobs, equipment, skills and so on and because sometimes WestStats will suggest one option and the Saloon Bar another - both ending up with the same number of labour points.

So, at this point I'm kinda wondering what the point of integrating with any other site would be. Obviously, WestStats has plenty of stuff besides the job calculator (quest info, shop listings, best item for job details etc.) but my aim for the Saloon Bar is to provide at-your-fingertips help with the day-to-day, hour-to-hour stuff rather than duplicating reference material. The Saloon Bar provides the same information as the WestStats job calculator (as far as testing has shown) but without reload time (initialization and updates notwithstanding) and without sending your information anywhere or storing it (except for on your computer).

What other element of WestStats besides the job calculator do you think would be worth integrating?

My current thinking, incidentally, is to add a shopping assistant feature to the Saloon Bar. Obviously, the extension looks all through your inventory and whilst calculating what best to wear for all jobs it could make a note of useless objects which aren't the best thing you have to wear for any job. For example, why keep hold of the grey Indian necklace (+5 Animal Instinct) when you have the yellow Indian necklace (+7 Animal Instinct)? Why keep either of those if you have the golden Indian necklace (+8 Animal Instinct and more besides)?

So, the shopping assistant feature would give you a list of objects which could be sold without changing what jobs you can do or how well you can do them. What it would also do would be to give you a total of how much those items are worth. I figure it might be a useful tool to save you reaching for a calculator before going shopping. There's nothing worse than having your bank account maxed out and selling half your gear to buy that fancy coat only to find that you're 1000 short and you're going to be duel fodder for some time.

DeletedUser

So, the shopping assistant feature would give you a list of objects which could be sold without changing what jobs you can do or how well you can do them. What it would also do would be to give you a total of how much those items are worth. I figure it might be a useful tool to save you reaching for a calculator before going shopping. There's nothing worse than having your bank account maxed out and selling half your gear to buy that fancy coat only to find that you're 1000 short and you're going to be duel fodder for some time.

The West Insider does that. :)

DeletedUser

Well, I should've known that I'd never have an original thought about this stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.