Zero Motivation Dueling

DeletedUser21320

You get 8 duels for full energy. You get a lot of money and a nice dueling level to protect you from higher level players. You have fun dueling a lot, get a better dueling difference for yourself and more duel points for your town. You get great gear that's good enough to beat most people at your level.

Yes, you do level slowly but there is a lot of fun on the way.

This quote is from the World 11 thread.

Why do duelers get a huge benefit from zero motivation, while everyone else is penalized when their job motivation decreases even a little? If you duel all the time, shouldn't you get at least a little tired? Just a little careless?

I would have no problem with the extra money and duels if there was any cost or consequence at all. And not leveling up is *not* a cost, because that is exactly what the 0-motiv players want. It's win-win for them.

This means that the very people who are lobbying to be able to fight more duels against unarmed people can actually hide out from real duelers *in plain sight*. They don't even have to make it to a town to sleep. They are protected from danger by an invisible shield. What bravery!

DeletedUser

. . .

I love 0% dueling!!!!

Just check out my Signature ando Inventory... :laugh:
I´m only level 40!!!! :p

I think it´s the best way to achieve beeing one of the best players dueling...
All points put towards duels, the best equipment for your level...
The most enjoyable way of playing!!!! Jajaja...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

All these gains are because they don't stop dueling (because they don't care for exp), and I don't like penalizating people for don't caring about exp...

DeletedUser

Since my post is the source of the thread:

Dueling is extremely different then doing jobs. It is the only job where you can get hurt severely and lose 30% of your money. Yes you can get injured in other jobs, but a few LP deal with this problem. While dueling you are always risking 30% of your income.

Also! Something extremely important. When you win a duel, you get 30% of your opponent's cash. You already get only 1/3 of the loot. Motivation will make this even worse. I suppose you would not be willing to get your idea implemented but make duelers steal 100% of their victims' cash, right?

ZMD'ing makes your level increase anyway since it is more like low motivation dueling. While dueling you have a chance to get KO'd and be put out of action for 48 hours! I don't think there is a job which you can be banned from doing for 2 days.

While ZMD'ing you duel a lot but you accept the consequences - that you will level up way slower than the players around you. I enjoy the steady leveling because I can duel as mad in the meantime. We get our shield, but we pay the price for it.

If motivation ever affected duel loot, then as I said we should be able to steal 100% of our opponents cash. Just to equal it with doing jobs. This last paragraph is not a suggestion, simply a comparison to show you the negative side of your complaint.

DeletedUser21320

All these gains are because they don't stop dueling (because they don't care for exp), and I don't like penalizating people for don't caring about exp...

Read my post again. I don't like penalizing a quester who has to Guard the Fort for 50 hours to find a flag, either. But he needs to stop every 4-6 hours because his motivation drops, and his ability to do the job decreases. I'm just saying that fair is fair.

I started The West because it seemed to be different from Unreal Tournament and other shooters. It looked like you had other things to do. But the more changes I see coming, the less I want to play. Having fewer items and more unprovoked and unwanted duels jammed down our throats, constant calls for more dueler (boo hoo) advantages, and finally, an understanding of what 0-motiv dueling is really about, are decreasing my RL motivation to care about the game. And that upsets me.

DeletedUser

Read my post again. I don't like penalizing a quester who has to Guard the Fort for 50 hours to find a flag, either. But he needs to stop every 4-6 hours because his motivation drops, and his ability to do the job decreases. I'm just saying that fair is fair.

I started The West because it seemed to be different from Unreal Tournament and other shooters. It looked like you had other things to do. But the more changes I see coming, the less I want to play. Having fewer items and more unprovoked and unwanted duels jammed down our throats, constant calls for more dueler (boo hoo) advantages, and finally, an understanding of what 0-motiv dueling is really about, are decreasing my RL motivation to care about the game. And that upsets me.

do you think that more dueler advantages are bad? play at least once as a Dueler class duelist.
0motiv is for people that chose to have more wins and money than xp to level up, why is that wrong??

DeletedUser

If I ever had to choose between Worker and Dueler for a dueler character I would definitely choose the Worker class. Dueler's avatars suck for me and I would least get 20% more money in the bank and 5% more xp from doing jobs.

P.S. I am strictly opposed to giving new advantages to the soldier. It's a great class as it is, but duelers are completely useless.

DeletedUser

P.S. I am strictly opposed to giving new advantages to the soldier. It's a great class as it is, but duelers are completely useless.

Completely agreed

they're almost undefeatable when you challenge them
have access to better weapons
harder to pass out

While duelers...
hmmm
well that is it

DeletedUser21320

do you think that more dueler advantages are bad? play at least once as a Dueler class duelist.
0motiv is for people that chose to have more wins and money than xp to level up, why is that wrong??

I'm not at all interested in dueling. A) I find it rather boring; and B) it's really annoying to the people who choose not to duel.

I'd rather play with folks who can do something besides mindlessly attack others as much as possible. If it was possible to actually destroy the bullies, I'd be the guy doing the backshots, just to help the game.

And please read all of my note again before you ask me why I think it is wrong to gain a lot for nothing. I think I answered that question pretty clearly.

DeletedUser

And please read all of my note again before you ask me why I think it is wrong to gain a lot for nothing.

for nothing? they lose lots of health, risk losing money and dont get any xp!!!
jobs dont do far that damage, dont risk you losing money and you get xp

DeletedUser16628

I am both 0md and MD and I really like to 0md for 5-6 levels the switch back.I'm not a bully though prefer to hit 1 and move on unless it's grand blues then I prefer to ko all of them.

DeletedUser

I'd rather play with folks who can do something besides mindlessly attack others as much as possible.

You would rather play with people who schedule jobs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. I hope you got my point. So far all of your posts lack any base to support them. If you are afraid of bears, don't go in the woods. Don't play The West since it obviously is not your type of game. This is a game where there are challenges that you do not want to face.

DeletedUser

Not a peace game
Duels happen. You can't avoid them unless you be townless.

If you can't beat them, or don't like them, join them

DeletedUser21320

FWIW I'm not against dueling at all. Lots of people enjoy it. More power to them.

I *am* against the "let's-force-everyone-to-be-a-dueler-in-self-defense" philosophy. There's plenty of room in the game for multiple playing styles.

DeletedUser21320

Not a peace game
Duels happen. You can't avoid them unless you be townless.

If you can't beat them, or don't like them, join them

The roadmap says that in the future, even being townless won't prevent duels.

There's a reason that sheriffs were hired by towns. The townfolk got tired of having gunfights interrupting their lives. They hired gunfighters to be sheriffs to kill those who wanted to destroy the town, or to drive them out. Unfortunately, that can't happen to characters in the game. They just respawn, and don't even get their weapons taken away.

There are lots of games out there where the only objective is find a crock or loophole in the rules in order to destroy everyone else. I thought The West was different. I think it is. I hope it stays different.

If I wanted to play a shooter game, I'd play one where I don't waste time doing jobs, and other players can't hide from me by refusing to level up.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser21320

for nothing? they lose lots of health, risk losing money and dont get any xp!!!
jobs dont do far that damage, dont risk you losing money and you get xp

Jobs can do a lot of damage. At level 18 I took 239 damage out of 265 Health while Branding cattle. Read the entire thread about damage on the job. And the roadmap says the jobs are going to do even more damage in the future.

And the loss of XP isn't a loss, it's a gain. It's what the dueler wants.

I'm not answering any more of your trolls.

DeletedUser

Come on dude 239 HP is what you lose in 1 or 2 duels, at higher levels, 1 hit takes 239 HP.

DeletedUser20647

Jobs can do a lot of damage. At level 18 I took 239 damage out of 265 Health while Branding cattle. Read the entire thread about damage on the job. And the roadmap says the jobs are going to do even more damage in the future.

And the loss of XP isn't a loss, it's a gain. It's what the dueler wants.

I'm not answering any more of your trolls.

Are you seriously comparing damage from jobs to damage from duels? If you don't want to take that much damage, don't do branding cattle with 1 LP, wait 1 more level.

DeletedUser

Are you seriously comparing damage from jobs to damage from duels? If you don't want to take that much damage, don't do branding cattle with 1 LP, wait 1 more level.

Or buy clothing
and how time it took you to take that damage? 2 hours i think
this damage in duels you get from max 30 min

DeletedUser21320

No. I'm comparing damage from a job at level 18 with the damage I expect to do or take in a duel at level 18. Nothing more. Nothing less. I was merely refuting the assertion that jobs don't do damage. Over 90% damage from a single job seems moderately severe to me. And no dueler could possibly have done greater than 11% more damage than I took.

I was only at +1 because I forgot to change my coat.