What would you do for swine flu?

• Thread starter DeletedUser14280
  • Start date

DeletedUser

It's pretty clear you've done zero reading about the swine flu and are basing your opinions on little to no real information.

It's not doctors who are analyzing the virus, it's scientists, there's a HUGE difference between what you're saying and the truth. Also, there is no cure for a virus because a virus always mutates, the only way to combat it at all is to create a vaccine. I'm not going to get into explaining to you what a vaccine is, if you wish to know then you can google it. The reason a vaccine wasn't created (and also why your "poor pigs" were "blamed") is because this is a flu that used to infect swine, which mutated and infected humans, that's it. It originated in swine, it's not like anyone is blaming them for engineering the virus.

It exists, Angel, to believe it doesn't is simply foolish and naive.

DeletedUser5046

im through reading about it just before i posted tat one... and well ive heard a lot of news about it...but seeing how te virus managed to be passed and cause death of others, im still wondering what if a person which only eat vegetables can get infected while he is away from te possible carriers of te illness? and seeing as how they count people who died instead of people who possibly will survive from tat flu is makin me sad...are they just waiting for someone to be infected again?

yes i know scientist are different from doctors...and they both are trying to find a cure for tat flu...tho i wished they should have instead seek a possible way to make it not to exist at all.

DeletedUser

I don't see the H1N1 virus as threatening to be a dangerous pandemic. Given that it is an entirely new influenza virus, which nobody has any developed immune response for, the fatality rate is extremely low. The best we can do imo is slow the spread of the virus as best we can, so that not too many people are ill at once, and treat it like any other 'flu. Soon enough our immune systems will learn to deal with it, just as with similar viruses.
The big danger would be if it mutated into a true killer virus before any vaccine or widespread immune response was developed.

DeletedUser5046

te first one isnt working on IE...anyway is it ture tat some vaccines contain extract of animals which is what caused te problem...just like some anti rabies ?

DeletedUser

Well WHO (World Health Organization) is about to declare H1N1 a pandemic. See article here:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-06/03/content_11477546.htm
GENEVA, June 2 (Xinhua) -- As the A/H1N1 flu virus spreads further around the world, the World Health Organization (WHO) is getting closer to declaring a full pandemic, a senior official of the UN agency said on Tuesday. "Globally we believe that we are at phase 5, but we are getting closer to phase 6," said WHO Assistant Director-general Dr. Keiji Fukuda, referring to the WHO's six-phase pandemic alert system.
The new virus is causing more and more infections in countries outside of North America, notably in Britain, Spain, Japan, Australia and Chile, Fukuda told a news conference in Geneva.
"We still are waiting for evidence of really widespread community activity in these countries," he said.
According to the WHO's current pandemic alert system, phase 6 will mean the A/H1N1 flu virus causes sustained and community-level human-to-human transmission in regions outside of North America, so far the only region where community-level outbreak has been confirmed.
So far the virus has caused nearly 19,000 cases of infections in 64 countries and regions, including 117 deaths, the WHO said.

DeletedUser

As I said, that doesn't mean anything.

The common flu would technically be a pandemic everytime flu season struck if it weren't for the fact that to qualify as a pandemic it has to be a new strain of virus. The effect still isn't any stronger than that of the normal flu. If you get the swine flu, assuming you're a reasonably healthy person, you may never even know and mistake it for the regular flu unless you actually get tested for the swine flu.

DeletedUser5046

if im not mistaken....te first filipino who has been said to have te flu is quarantined. . .now im feverish and sneezy...but i know it wasnt te virus tat cause tis but te rain.

DeletedUser

Just sharing the news Divest. George Hurst stated he didn't see H1N1 threatening to become a dangerous pandemic. Not sure if emphasis was on dangerous or pandemic but thought the information would be useful to those interested. :)

DeletedUser

I know, I know. :p

I just want to make sure that people don't get super paranoid. I remember when the SARS threat was going on and I wanted to slap everyone who was wearing a face mask silly.

DeletedUser

I see what you mean. Why do face masks make us want to do violent things? I always want to slap Michael Jackson when I see him in one. Although I usually always want to smack him. On the other hand, in the 80s he was thought of as fashion forward. I guess when the bird flu hit he really was fashion forward.

Maybe that should be a topic to debate. Instead of does tv/entertainment cause violence in teens it should be "Do face masks make people targets of violence"

DeletedUser

But there would be nothing to debate because the obvious answer is hell yes GRR

DeletedUser5046

face mask = both good and bad...but can do worst than better

DeletedUser

Worse in the way that the minute you put it on people want to kick your arse.

DeletedUser

Wrong. H1N1 is merely the official name the CDC has given swine flu. If you're talking about mutations, then they would designate a different name to it, such as H1N2, H2N2, etc.
Hehe, I wasn't wrong, just not specific.

The present virus, this particular flu virus is not swine flu. It is a quadruple reassortment virus, which means it is comprised of four different types of influenza virus. -- http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/qa.htm

There is absolutely NO evidence to support this, especially considering that most of the recent deaths have been children under 2. As far as the CDC can tell, the older a person gets, the more immunity they have to it. PLEASE stop spreading fearmongering half-truths.
I obtained the information from the World Health Organization (WHO), that gave comparable fatality rates, noting this particular strain of influenza showing a 0.4% fatality rate in Mexico (admittedly lower in other countries, but still significantly higher than most previously encountered strains, which induced epidemics, yet had less than a 0.1% fatality rate).

A face mask is going to do very little to stop the small particles that are exhaled by an infected patient. It's a nice little thing you can do to help, but it's ultimately up to the medical staff to follow proper procedure. Don't get me wrong, it's recommended that you do wear a face mask, but it only helps, not entirely prevents, and even then it's not really all that effective.
There are different types of face masks. Most people tend to pick up the wrong ones. The ones most commonly used are for dust, pollen, and other allergens. This is the wrong one to purchase or use in these circumstances. One should purchase an N95 or better face mask. Me, I just pick up a few from the doctor's office most everytime I visit, but i'm cheap that way. :p

In short, if you believe you have the swine flu and are showing symptoms, seek medical treatment as soon as possible
I stand corrected on that point, thank you. My only excuse on this is I'm old-school, brought up with the idea there's not treatment for the flu except to stay at home and shut up. Noting this, i'm still skeptical that receiving the vaccine "while" you're infected would make much of a difference and have been unable to find any information to contradict my skepticism.

DeletedUser

Btw, I have asthma and barely survived bouts of pneumonia, so i don't think "paranoia" is such a bad idea.

(and no, i'm not sickly, just susceptible)

DeletedUser

If you've got prior medical conditions then you should definitely be wary, but I wouldn't quite say paranoid. When I think of paranoid, I think of people who walk around with face masks and rubber gloves everywhere they go.

Hehe, I wasn't wrong, just not specific.

The present virus, this particular flu virus is not swine flu. It is a quadruple reassortment virus, which means it is comprised of four different types of influenza virus. -- http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/qa.htm

But it's clear that what everyone is referring to is the "swine flu". It's very clear that it's not the same swine flu that effects pigs, but it's still called swine flu, especially for all intents and purposes in this thread. It's true that we're not sure where the virus originated from.

I obtained the information from the World Health Organization (WHO), that gave comparable fatality rates, noting this particular strain of influenza showing a 0.4% fatality rate in Mexico (admittedly lower in other countries, but still significantly higher than most previously encountered strains, which induced epidemics, yet had less than a 0.1% fatality rate).

You claimed that it had a higher mortality rate than most other flus. I said that it doesn't even have a higher mortality rate than the seasonal flu. I would think that's the most common flu, at the very least.

There are different types of face masks. Most people tend to pick up the wrong ones. The ones most commonly used are for dust, pollen, and other allergens. This is the wrong one to purchase or use in these circumstances. One should purchase an N95 or better face mask. Me, I just pick up a few from the doctor's office most everytime I visit, but i'm cheap that way. :p

Those are respirators, not face masks. I'm a stickler for this information because I used to work for a medical supply company that would receive calls asking all kinds of crazy questions regarding face masks and respirators. Medical staff are equipped with respirators. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

But it's clear that what everyone is referring to is the "swine flu". It's very clear that it's not the same swine flu that effects pigs, but it's still called swine flu, especially for all intents and purposes in this thread. It's true that we're not sure where the virus originated from.
People called it swine flu because that is what they originally thought it was. Blame the media for not letting that title die.

You claimed that it had a higher mortality rate than most other flus. I said that it doesn't even have a higher mortality rate than the seasonal flu. I would think that's the most common flu, at the very least.
Umm, I have no explanation as to why Shih is [beep] (to be more blunt, he's lieing). The conservative reports indicate seasonal influenza fatality is significantly less than 1 to 1000 (0.05%), although CDC has varianced it from 0.06% to 0.24%, which still puts it at a far lower mortality rate.

Medical staff are equipped with respirators. :p
omg, i can't believe you're going to play semantics. You're evil!

DeletedUser

Well, we're playing with estimates here and the mortality rate for the Swine Flu has been dropping like NASDAQ as the CDC is finally getting through their backlog and confirming all the people with swine flu. My prediction: By the time this is all over, the Swine flu mortality rate will be below that of the seasonal flu. Not to mention that about 80% of the deaths are coming from Mexico which is hardly a model example. Remove Mexico from the equation and people are gonna be calling me Nostradamus.

And you're right, I am evil! Muahaha. You know what's evil? Being strapped to a desk for eight hours a day, every day. That's evil.