What would you do for swine flu?

• Thread starter DeletedUser14280
  • Start date

DeletedUser14280

I'd include a bit of background about swine flu,
but I'm sure you can all do a Google search to find news.

What would you do if someone came to work/school/your house with swine flu?

What would you do if you caught the flu? How would you go to work/school?

What would you do about swine flu across the world?

DeletedUser

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Divest again."

I suppose if I had the swine flu I would do what I always do when I'm ill. I would go to the doctors and follow his treatment/advice.

If someone around me got the swine flu I hope they would do the same. I can't really do anything for those in the world that have it that I don't know. It's not as if its the plague.

DeletedUser14280

Do you think it might be possible, with a little work, to create doses of the vaccine in universites?
That would probably help, if it makes a pandemic.

DeletedUser

I'm sure they are working on it. They always try to make vaccines for things like this. Honestly I don't see where this is a debate worthy topic. No one is going to come out and seriously make a case for "Yay! Swine Flu is awesome".

DeletedUser

I'm pretty sure one will be made, or is being made, but that's not going to help while it's being spread around, that's not the way vaccine's work.

I think people are making waaaaay too big a deal with this whole swine flu thing. The people who died were either ill-treated or under nourished. On top of that, did you know that the regular flu would technically be considered a pandemic everytime it struck if it weren't for the technicality that the word pandemic only encompasses new strains of viruses?

If I had the swine flu I would do what every other person with common sense would do: See a doctor, follow his orders, and rest.

DeletedUser

1) I wouldn't know, if anyone around me had the swine flu. And if that person knows for sure, s/he must have been with a doctor to detect and would have been put under quarantine, so wouldn't be at my home/work/school anyway.

2) I wouldn't know, if I had swine flu, unless I went to a doctor, who'd put me under quarantine, so I couldn't visit school/work/etc.

3) Virology isn't exactly my field of expertise, so I would do nothing at all.

Swine flu is nothing to worry about, it is quite infective, but that's about it. The death rate is about the same or even lower than with your common flu (counting immediate deaths due to the virus itself; if you take superinfection into account we have about 20k deaths/year here in Germany due to common flu, which isn't even close to the deaths related with swine flu)

DeletedUser14280

Do you suppose that terrorists might try to make a really deadly version of it?

DeletedUser

If terrorists were going to engage in biological warfare they would most likely use the smallpox virus, not the swine flu.

DeletedUser

Do you suppose that terrorists might try to make a really deadly version of it?

If you call the departments of defense of several "western" nations terrorists, then yes. Otherwise not at all.
You'll need terrorists like James Bond rogues, that can afford all the equipment and knowledge needed to grow and manipulate a deadly virus. Neither IRA, ETA nor the islamistic terrorists live in a secret volcano/sea base/on the moon though (as far as I know), so the threat is quite small compared with atomic weapons e.g., with the ingredients and knowledge you probably can buy from Russia or other Ex-USSR states. And there's no real terrorist threat with A-weapons either.

DeletedUser

With that logic, they could always pay someone else to do the engineering.

DeletedUser

just saying that there are by far not as many people on this planet that know how to deal with a virus than physicians who know about how to build the a-bomb.
Keeping a virus is just a lot more difficult than having some uranium.
You need high tech labs to grow a virus and keep it "alive"; atomic material stays radioactive, no matter how bad you treat it.
There are maybe three dozen S4 labs around the globe, if anyone buys lab equipment which is needed in a lab like this, I doubt it goes unnoticed and I also doubt you can produce that stuff on your own; unlike some lead walls to protect the surroundings from radiation that you can buy on any junkyard.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Swine flu is nothing to worry about, it is quite infective, but that's about it. The death rate is about the same or even lower than with your common flu (counting immediate deaths due to the virus itself; if you take superinfection into account we have about 20k deaths/year here in Germany due to common flu, which isn't even close to the deaths related with swine flu)

While it indeed seems to have about the same level of mortality as regular seasonal flu, the distribution of infections and deaths is different. In regular flu, the majority of fatalities occur in the very young or old. With H1N1 the distribution of deaths by age is much flatter meaning that a significantly higher proportion are among those who would normally shrug off seasonal flu.

In addition with this working age group suffering higher rates of infection and deaths than normal there is a much higher risk of disruption to the supply lines needed to fight the infection.

DeletedUser

First to point out that swine flu is not the same as the present paranoia response to this latest virus, H1N1. The problem with H1N1 is that it has a higher mortality rate (3 times higher than more commonly encountered flus), and what Metalax said, in that it isn't taking out merely the weak, but just about anyone.

I would not go to the doctor, I would not go to a medical facility, at least not without being courteous enough to wear a face mask first. The problem with pandemics is the reaction people have to them. They run to the first place they think of, which is the hospital. In doing so, they spread the virus to the very people whose job it is to save lives, thereby crippling the nation's entire medical support system and possibly infecting hundreds of already medically weakened patients.

If you have the virus, stay home, leave everyone alone, and kick it. If it gets bad, then call 911, but definitely let them know you believe you have the virus.

Vaccines are PREVENTIVE. They serve little to no purpose on those who are already dealing with the flu. Once you have it, it's a matter of staying hydrated, insulated, and isolated.

DeletedUser

First to point out that swine flu is not the same as the present paranoia response to this latest virus, H1N1.

Wrong. H1N1 is merely the official name the CDC has given swine flu. If you're talking about mutations, then they would designate a different name to it, such as H1N2, H2N2, etc.

The problem with H1N1 is that it has a higher mortality rate (3 times higher than more commonly encountered flus), and what Metalax said, in that it isn't taking out merely the weak, but just about anyone.

There is absolutely NO evidence to support this, especially considering that most of the recent deaths have been children under 2. As far as the CDC can tell, the older a person gets, the more immunity they have to it. PLEASE stop spreading fearmongering half-truths.

I would not go to the doctor, I would not go to a medical facility, at least not without being courteous enough to wear a face mask first.

Unfortunately it lies on the backs of those medical workers who wish to prevent themeselves from getting the flu to wear respirators and follow proper respiratory and personal hygiene techniques. A face mask is going to do very little to stop the small particles that are exhaled by an infected patient. It's a nice little thing you can do to help, but it's ultimately up to the medical staff to follow proper procedure. Don't get me wrong, it's recommended that you do wear a face mask, but it only helps, not entirely prevents, and even then it's not really all that effective.

If you have the virus, stay home, leave everyone alone, and kick it. If it gets bad, then call 911, but definitely let them know you believe you have the virus.

The symptoms are the same for the regular flu, so there's no way to know you have the virus until you've actually gone and been tested and prescribed treatment. Aside from that, treatment can help fight the virus, so simply locking yourself in your bedroom by yourself could possibly be the worst thing you can do, depending on your history of susceptibility to respiratory illness.

In short, if you believe you have the swine flu and are showing symptoms, seek medical treatment as soon as possible:

"Empiric antiviral treatment is recommended for any ill person suspected to have swine influenza A (H1N1) virus infection. Antiviral treatment with either zanamivir alone or with a combination of oseltamivir and either amantadine or rimantadine should be initiated as soon as possible after the onset of symptoms"

Vaccines are PREVENTIVE. They serve little to no purpose on those who are already dealing with the flu. Once you have it, it's a matter of staying hydrated, insulated, and isolated.

This is probably the one correct thing you've said so far.

DeletedUser5046

well...as for te signs if you have a swine flu or NH1N1 . . . its like when you sneeze people already think you already caught te virus o_O even if it wasnt tat bad at all... i think people are exaggerating about te illness...tat is why i myself dun believe it exist.

DeletedUser5046

well i dun trust doctors tat much...i think at some point they can turn silly fever into a worse case...

like your going to be confined just for a headache...

really ..its not tat easy for me to believe..

and if it really exist ..why te hell they have to let it exist instead of prevent it from being what it is today....a.k.a. a VIRUS

then blame te poor pigs about it?