What do YOU really believe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

There have been hundreds of threads here about religion, but none about people's religions. I think this thread is warranted, because we're always arguing and we say the same things over and over, but we never put all the hate, prejudice, name calling and belittling aside and just talk about what we really believe.

Religion is a strange thing. When I was young, my mother told me about her beliefs and back then, they were good enough for me to adopt as my own, but recently my own thoughts and actions have forced me to think again about what I believe.

Thinking about religion, for me, brings immediatly to mind people who are despicable. TV Evangelists, Terrorists, Hate Churches and such. Yet, no matter how hard I try to dismiss religion and go about my life, it continually comes to the front of my mind, what do I believe in? Where am I going? Is there only one true religion?

I am a baptized mormon, however from the start, I've been very unorthadox. I don't go to church regularly, I have trouble sticking to rules from the church, specificlly the one about Caffeine (Where's my Dr Pepper?)

So, over the past few weeks, I've been thinking about religion and what it means to each of us. To some, it's a way to get ahead, others live by it, some literally live in it and others, like me, are a mixed bag of beliefs.

Does it really matter what we call our god? Does it truly matter if we call him The Great Spirit, God or Allah? My answer is No. I can't see God, and that's just what I chose to call him, being so petty as to say "Only the people who call me Allah will get into my Kingdom." That would rule out a huge number of his creations, I say "He" simply because it's simpler to type.

Does it matter weather we fast, pray or meditate? Once again, my answer is No. I cannot believe a higher power would be so closed minded that he would only accept if you knelt beside your bed, bowed towards Meccha or go on a spirit quest, why woul dhe only accept a single form or prayer?

What about where we go after we die? I am a believer in reincarnation, but if you believe we go to heaven, get lucky with 72 virgins, fall into a giant bowl of Jell-o or go to the Happy Hunting Grounds, I can't see God being angry at you because of it. If I'm wrong, well I'll see you at the Happy Hunting Grounds, won't I?

Do I believe in Satan, or some great tempter? Yes, but I also believe that no matter how badly you fail during life, you'll just come back to try again. Satan, once again, call him whatever you like, is ther because without trials, our lives would be simple and we wouldn't have to make hard, but good choices. Choices are what makes a person, make bad ones and you get to try again after you die, make good ones and you go on. Once again, that's just my belief.

If you were to name my religion, I would hope you would decide upon the word Toloerance, Because that's what I believe in. I believe, if you live a good life, no matter what you decide to call our creator(s), you go on, but if you don't you go backwards and have to go through this all again.

What do you believe? Tell me, please, I am very intrested.

I believe we could all go on if we just decided to be good people and focus on other people and not ourselves. In the end though, it's your life, live it the way you want to live it, I hope you decide to live in the service of others. This thread isn't to get people fighting, it's to promote good will and friendship to people, no matter what they believe in, both on these forums and in real life.

Peril

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It wouldn't be much of a debate if we don't debate beliefs but fine I guess ill be next.

I am a pentecostal Christian meaning I believe in most Christian beliefs.

I guess you can say there are many types of Christians but here are some of my Christian beliefs.

http://ag.org/top/Beliefs/Statement_of_Fundamental_Truths/sft_short.cfm

I think it matters what we call why because it helps distinguish our beliefs and religions.

I think prayers in my religion matters and fasting too. Now for me God accepts prayer if its from the heart. If not you just practically speaking.

I think people's fate after death depends on Judgment day.

I do believe in Satan and demons.

DeletedUser

Tanks for contributing, Yago. I read the link you posted, most of it seemed fine, but I couldn't get over number 15 on the list. It reads:

15: WE BELIEVE...A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire.

Isn't there a bunch of blurbs in the New Testament about not judging people? Doesn't that seem to be going against it?

DeletedUser

I sometimes believe that the Apocalypse has already happened and this is Hell... especially with the weather we've been having this summer. :mad:

DeletedUser

I believe... in The Onion.

Some may think the whole thing a parody, but there's more to it ;)

DeletedUser8950

Onion seems to be a representation of questioning and deciding for yourself imo, but I only have a limited understanding of the infinite layers.

DeletedUser

for me if I was to answer your post honestly this would be both difficult and easy. i am very happy that i dont know everything and i hope i never do. Life is an adventure for me. i choose not to believe in destiny or things preordained. i believe that we have the power to be the designers and architects of our lives. for that reason what we do and think matters. i feel honored to be a human being and i feel honored to be a woman. life is awesome but it is also really hard. our brains are complex and amazing and life is precious and unique. science has not been able to truly define, control or reproduce life force. we talk about time and space which we say we understand to be infinite at the same time that we have to admit that we cant truly comprehend what it really means for something to have no beginning or end. i cant know if there is a god or not in the same way that i cant really know these other things. but i dont believe that god (if there is such a thing) is wrapped up in any way in us or any other particular thing. if there is a god i expect it to have the decency to be something i truly cant fathom. here is another thing i dont know. people pray and they believe that when they do they obtain some kind of intercessory behavior or action from gods or saints. i dont believe that. but i do wonder if we can somehow extend our will as a force in the universe so i dont hesitate to try to do so... just call me willful :) i do seek the truth about things and i know this is very difficult because we are all so indoctrinated, but i like to try. i guess i cant say im religious but i can say i am spiritual, amazed, ignorant, open to possibility and happy.

DeletedUser

Tanks for contributing, Yago. I read the link you posted, most of it seemed fine, but I couldn't get over number 15 on the list. It reads:

15: WE BELIEVE...A Final Judgment Will Take Place for those who have rejected Christ. They will be judged for their sin and consigned to eternal punishment in a punishing lake of fire.

Isn't there a bunch of blurbs in the New Testament about not judging people? Doesn't that seem to be going against it?

Yeah they put it a bit harshly with the whole lake of fire.

OK. back on topic - I and many others interpret it as the Bible says not to judge because anyone can make mistakes. Anyone can slip up so try not to be quick to judge because even you can slip up make a mistake and your practically a hypocrite by judging others. If you judge someone cause they've lied then you might as well be giving yourself the same punishment because everyone has lied at least once. That's what the Bible means by that.

Do not judge is found in Matthew 7:1-5 If you keep reading it speaks about hypocrisy

1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Yeah they put it a bit harshly with the whole lake of fire.

They were kind of redudant too. They have a punishing lake of fire where non- believers will be punished :D

for me if I was to answer your post honestly this would be both difficult and easy. i am very happy that i dont know everything and i hope i never do. Life is an adventure for me. i choose not to believe in destiny or things preordained. i believe that we have the power to be the designers and architects of our lives. for that reason what we do and think matters. i feel honored to be a human being and i feel honored to be a woman. life is awesome but it is also really hard. our brains are complex and amazing and life is precious and unique. science has not been able to truly define, control or reproduce life force. we talk about time and space which we say we understand to be infinite at the same time that we have to admit that we cant truly comprehend what it really means for something to have no beginning or end. i cant know if there is a god or not in the same way that i cant really know these other things. but i dont believe that god (if there is such a thing) is wrapped up in any way in us or any other particular thing. if there is a god i expect it to have the decency to be something i truly cant fathom. here is another thing i dont know. people pray and they believe that when they do they obtain some kind of intercessory behavior or action from gods or saints. i dont believe that. but i do wonder if we can somehow extend our will as a force in the universe so i dont hesitate to try to do so... just call me willful :) i do seek the truth about things and i know this is very difficult because we are all so indoctrinated, but i like to try. i guess i cant say im religious but i can say i am spiritual, amazed, ignorant, open to possibility and happy.

If you ask me, that's a good way to be! :)

I believe... in The Onion.

Some may think the whole thing a parody, but there's more to it ;)

The onion soured me, when they made fun of Call of Duty :mad: That's just uncalled for, man! :D

DeletedUser

I take the Flying spaghetti monsters name in vain. He touched me with his noodley appendages in the most innappropriate of places, I underwent 8 years of Psychiatric therapy, 4 of those years spend in a mental asylum, with a counted 34 suicide attempts, and two times I tried to dive from the staircase with guards. That flying spaghetti monster violated the sanctuary of my body with his disgusting and repulsive noodley tentacles, and I swear on his name that I will knife off his noodles and eat his Meaty ball brains!!!

DeletedUser

I am, as it has been made apparent, one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

We only believe what the Bible teaches and do not follow man-made doctrines and traditions.

That also meaning, that we believe Jehovah is God's name.
Jesus is his Son
And Holy Spirit is God's active force.
And that they are all seperate, and not part of a trinity.

We only believe 144,000 individuals will go to heaven, and the rest will inherit a paradise Earth and live forever in perfection.

And that there is no burning hell.

Along with any other Biblical teaching.

DeletedUser

We only believe 144,000 individuals will go to heaven, and the rest will inherit a paradise Earth and live forever in perfection.

That's intresting, do you know what caused your religion's high ups to decide on that number? I have another question too, are you one of those 144,000 people, or is this like a, these are the 144 thousand best people?

DeletedUser

Well, let me see, it wasn't my religion, it was the Bible, but sure, what have you read that it was?

And no, im not one of those people, I have the hope of living on Earth, and you are one of those if you are given the invitation to do so. Done as in Romans 8:16.

DeletedUser16628

Born and raised roman catholic.Got married in a very large catholic church 11 yrs ago but have since changed my views and now prefer to worship the sun.

DeletedUser

Born and raised roman catholic.Got married in a very large catholic church 11 yrs ago but have since changed my views and now prefer to worship the sun.

I hear that works for some people :)

Well, Blondie, I haven't read much about your religion, I was just wondering how they decided on that number.

DeletedUser

The rest of the Bible points to mankind living forever on Earth, however Jesus then spoke to his apostles speaking of the going to heaven, and in Revelation, the number of those who are "Bought from the Earth" are 144,000.

DeletedUser

The rest of the Bible points to mankind living forever on Earth, however Jesus then spoke to his apostles speaking of the going to heaven, and in Revelation, the number of those who are "Bought from the Earth" are 144,000.

I believe Blondies beliefs to be pretty damn dumb.
But hey, I believe all religion is bullcrap.

Onionism/atheism is the only logical option.

DeletedUser

There is no logic in atheism, just guesses and assumptions. besides, i thought this was going to be a non-bash thread. But hey, you can't be that fortunate when JR rolls in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.