We're Wolves RP

DeletedUser14280

For the town of Silverly, 19th century wild west, werewolves had been a menace for a long time.

The thing about these werewolves was, they were normally ordinary men and women in their right minds,
but when they transformed, they became snarling beasts without any concept of morality or ethics.
Every full moon, the human residents of the town had to flee to Fort Crescendo, a nearby fort which even insane werewolves were smart enough to avoid.

This sorry cycle came to an end when a certain Dr. Jonathan Mortis came onto the scene, a couple of generations ago.
Using his sharp mind and his alchemical knowledge, he succeeded in turning lycanthropy from a deadly curse into a almost-harmless medical condition.

How did he do it? The answer is simple: He found a cure.
While Dr. Mortis couldn't cure the actual lycanthropy, he discovered a liquid solution (dubbed "Wolfscold") which suppressed their wolfen insanity (dubbed "Moon Frenzy") with incredible effectiveness.
Taken merely 4 times a year, Wolfscold caused werewolves who took it to keep their right minds all though their transformation.

With this solution, the lycanthropic threat disappeared almost overnight.
People once considered a danger by their neighbours instead became firm friends, entertaining as man until the full moon, then entertaining as wolf.
Silverly became a normal place to live, or at least, a peaceful place to live.

-----=====-----=====-----

Silverly, early 20th century.

"BRIIING, BRIIING!"
The officer on duty at the police station picked up the phone. "Silverly Police Department."
"It's happened again, chief. Our culprit has struck again, this time at the richest place in town."
The officer on duty growled and let out a few unintelligible grumbles. "Please tell me you've found out who he is this time."
"No good, this baddie never leaves much evidence. There's nothing here that can identify him precisely."
With another stream of indecipherable grumbles, the officer put down the phone, and sunk into the desk.

A monster was on the loose in Silverly, and nobody could tell who he (she?) was.
4 people attacked, the 3rd one dead, the only lead the investigative team could find was that the culprit was probably a barghest.
The next full moon was coming up soon; the officer wondered if he could employ a couple of people as sniffer dogs.

Did I overdo the introduction? My bad, I just love to write stories.
Anyway, in this RP, you get to play as a perfectly ordinary person in a perfectly ordinary town...except for werewolves!
No plotline required, although you can use the one in the introduction as a main plot point if you like, and I'd prefer it if you had one.

Now, there's a few lot of rules, mostly experimental, that I want you to follow in this RP.

One, definitely fill out a character sheet (see below). It's got nice bits and it'll help the rest of us continue if you're absent for some reason.

Two, comedy. During the RP, you can make your posts as long or as short as you like, but every few posts, you need to make a joke or otherwise do something comedic.
I'm hoping that having laughs in the RP will make it last longer, so at the very least, work a couple of hilarious adjectives in.
For example: "There was a pregnant pause. It gave birth to a lot of little pauses, each one more deeply embarrassing than its parent." (cribbed from Terry Pratchett).

Three, conversations. If two of you got into a conversation with each other and stuck to your own characters, you'd end up making 2 line posts for the length of a page.
So, I recommend that when you get a conversation, put a placeholder in the RP and work out a quick framework via PMing.
Then one of you write in the entire conversation into a post or two, leaving a break for someone to interrupt if you like. If you get the personality wrong, you can always edit it.

Four, Event Points, or EP for short.
Because this RP involves werewolves of the traditional kind, we need some way to make sure the RP is day-to-day rather than hour-to-hour. My solution is Event Points.
Basically, whenever there's an important scene in the RP (a major conversation, a fight, etc.), you deduct an Event Point from the pool. When these EP run out, close the day with an epilogue.
At the start of the next day in the RP, the EP pool fills up again. I say we start with 3 EP per day and see how that goes.
Also, while anything's going on which requires an EP, please don't do anything outside of the scene that requires a point too. The RP could get derailed that way.

Five, hang on, what was it, I'm thinking, I'm thinking...
Oh yes, Five, the full moon.for those of you playing werewolves, the full moon (when it comes around) will cause you to transform.
For the sake of simplicity (but totally not realism) and getting to transform more often, let's say that the full moon rises every 9 days and lasts for 3, making a 12 day cycle.

Have I covered everything really important so far? I think so. On to the character sheets!

Ones marked with an asterix are necessary, thank you!

Name*: Okay, name of your character, fairly simple. One thing I might note, though, most werewolves like to give themselves pet names.
Age: Also simple. If a werewolf, you can note down when you got lycanthropy (although you don't have to).
Gender*: A-duh.
Characteristics*: The very most important details about your character's equipment or appearance.
Equipment: What you carry.
Appearance: What you look like.
Personality: Don't bother too much with this one, we'll see your character's personality when you play him/her.
Profession*: What you do for a living, be it horseshoe making or tax collection or even writing interactive storybooks. Barghests will likely be employed as sheepdogs.
Acquaintances: Any significant people you might have in your life. This is a little more important for werewolves, since they can't open the pantry/fridge too well in wolf form.
NPC behaviour*: A little bit about what your character normally does each day, so that we can play him/her if you can't get here.
Species*: Oh boy, this is tricky. Each species has different criteria.

Humans are just ordinary humans, no transformation at all.
While that makes them a little boring, they have the advantage of keeping their thumbs during the full moon.
Secondary Profession: Since humans don't transform, they have a little more time to work. List any additional professions or hobbies here, if you want.

Werewolves have lycanthropy (of course), which causes them to transform into wolves at the full moon (you know this).
The werewolves in this RP are different in that:
A) When the full moon is in the sky, they stay in wolf form, even during the daytime, for the whole three days. Prowling at night doesn't happen as much as you'd think.
B) Thanks to the Wolfscold Solution, werewolves in the town of Silverly have no bloodlust whatsoever. Werewolves in wolf form think exactly the same way as they do as humans.
Pet Name: As I said before, a lot of werewolves get pet names, typically one syllable. If you have one, put it here.
Wolf Attire*: There's a bit of a question mark over indecent exposure when it comes to werewolves. As a compromise, everyone in wolf form has to wear something, be it an anklet or a cape or just a collar.
Wolf Appearance: What you look like as a wolf, besides attire.
Wolf NPC Behaviour*: Well, you're not going to be doing the same thing as a wolf as you are in human form!
Moon Sensitivity: If you're highly sensitive, you might transform even before the full moon rises. If you're insensitive to the moon, you might only transform at night.

Barghests have a 50/50 chance of being born when two werewolves "get together".
Barghests are like werewolves except that:
A) They're permanantly in wolf form, moon or no moon.
B) That's not all bad, because they have slightly more flexible paws than normal wolves (or werewolves). Unfortunately, no thumbs, so not that special.
C) They can morph into full humans for a short time (no more than half an hour at a time, usually), complete with thumbs, anywhere, anytime, moon not needed.
However, a barghest's transformation is exhausting afterwards, meaning that they can't really do it more than once before needing to rest.
Human Appearance: What you look like in human form.
Barghest Attire*: For the same reason as werewolves.
Willpower: High willpower means that you can transform for longer and more often, while low willpower means you can't stay transformed for long at all, and get tired afterwards.

Also, Alchemy is available.
This is a special profession for those of you who want to create magic potions and curses, although both of those take a lot of time.
I don't recommend that you all be alchemists, there's only so much that can be accomplished through the use of their limited magics.
Specialty*: This is your area of expertise within alchemy, be it divination or froggification potions or something like that.

Oh, and there's two three rules I haven't mentioned yet:

Six, clothes aren't included in werewolf or barghest transformations. That means that it's not advisable at all to transform in public.
You can carry a backpack in wolf form that holds clothes if you really need to, but it's not exactly a fashion statement.

Seven, rules are made to be broken.
You're entirely welcome to bend any of these rules if you think you can make the story better that way.

Eight, because Johann did it: While barghests/werewolves can't speak English in wolf form, they can still bark, and any werewolf or barghest can translate those barks.
Humans can't understand canine, except with proper training. Proper training is not hard to come by.

That's all (boy, that was a lot!). Enjoy the RP.

...Ah, one last thing. How about gathering at the post office to start, 2 days to full moon?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13682

Name*: Johann Blauvelt
Gender*: male
Characteristics*: carries custom engraved everything, with roses, for some reason
Equipment: Mauser Gewehr 1898, with scope, and modified 10 round magazine, instead of the usual 5, rifle, scope, and bayonet are all engraved with intricate roses. Reichs Revolver M1883, also with intricate roses
Appearance: A tall, blond haired, blue eyed, German-American. What did you expect?
Personality: Docile, maybe a bit much on the alcohol..
Profession*: Gunsmith, swordsmith
Acquaintances: a friend, named Autumn. She helps him out a lot, probably not anything serious, but who knows. She is pretty tall, red hair, green eyes.
NPC behaviour*: make swords and rifles, and do other stuff around the shop.
Species*: werewolf
Pet Name: Fall
Wolf Attire*: pants
Wolf Appearance: For some reason, his fur is the same color as Autumn's hair Whodathunk?
Wolf NPC Behaviour*: hunting stuff, observing people testing his work
Moon Sensitivity: changes to werewolf as soon as night hits on the first night of full moon, and turns back at dawnbreak on the day after the last day of the full moon.

DeletedUser14280

Name: Crimson Christian Walker (what a name!), prefers to be called Walker or Link.
Species: Barghest.
Characteristics: Link's most distinguishing feature is a thick streak of crimson hair running down his back, hence his given name.
Equipment: Link does delivery work for the post office, thus, he carries a specialized delivery bag during the day.
Personality: Makes an effort to love everyone and everything, but beware of attention seeking behaviour from him!
Profession: Has a job delivering for the post office for the last few years, including work experience. Loves his job.
Acquaintances: Both parents (Lily and James Walker) still around, has a human girlfriend (Alicia Winston) who takes him for walks every weekend.
NPC behaviour: Seeks to surpass all land speed records when delivering the mail, off-duty, he either practices swimming at a public pool, or plays in somebody else's garden.
Human Appearance: Colorless skin, retains a streak of red in his hair.
Barghest Attire: Two steel torcs, each one halfway up his forelegs.
Willpower:
Mid-high, but Link doesn't like to transform at all anymore.

Nothing was happening in the street.
Nothing at all. Perfectly ordinary street.
Nothing whatsoe-ZOOM!
A wolf flashed up the street and disappeared around the corner in an instant.

At the post office, Link screeched to a stop to get his mail for the day.
A hyperactive glance to his left revealed a personage, who was in the process of posting his letter before a Link-related gust blew him away.

DeletedUser13682

Johann was walking down the street, Reichsrevolver slung on a belt, and Gewehr 98 slung over his right shoulder. He was bringing back some food, including new canned food, just delivered to the town this morning, when a quick breeze came whooshing past him, or whatever quick breezes do, and knocked all the groceries out of Johann's hand. He ran after Link as fast as he could, loading his Gewehr on the way to the post office, seeing a man fall over, right when he got there. Johann walked up to Link, who was getting his mail. "You're getting slower Link. I almost caught up with you. But that's not important. You knocked my groceries to the ground, and wasted $70 in foodstuff. What did I say about running that fast? You need to be careful, or you'll get a bullet in your head."

DeletedUser14280

Link looked at Johann and said "Sorry about your groceries, I can go down to the store and help you get some more afterwards, if you like."
Though, since he was a wolf, it came out roughly as "Arf arf".
Then he began to trot out to deliver his letters.

(Anyone else, you're welcome to join in.)

DeletedUser13682

Johann laughed. Not many people understood Link's barks, but Johann did, being a werewolf. "That's fine, Link. I have enough. I just want you to be more careful. Not everybody in this town likes the company of werewolves and barghests." He looks around, almost nobody notices them, but if they do, they're nice, and say hi. "Most people like us, or at least tolerate us, but some people want us gone at least, or worse." Johann looks out into midfield, remembering the days of his youth, then snaps back to the present. "But anyway, let us talk about happier things. I'll walk with you on your mail route." Johann unloads his Gewehr, and reshoulders the rifle. "Tell me, Link. How's your family doing?"

DeletedUser14280

"That's fine, Link. I have enough. I just want you to be more careful. Not everybody in this town likes the company of werewolves and barghests."
"Woof woof." <What, you mean like that loony on Blaiston Street?>
"Yes, like him. Most people like us, or at least tolerate us, but some people want us gone at least, or worse." Johann continued.
"Arf." <I thought everyone liked dogs...>
"Let us talk about happier things. I'll walk with you on your mail route. Tell me, Link. How's your family doing?"

"Arf woof woof woof." <Just fine. we're going to go out to a restaurant tonight.>
"Really? Which one?"
"Voof." <Dunno.>
"Maybe it's De Keister's?"
"Voof." <Dunno.>

They walked on in silence for a few seconds, then the first house that Link delivered to came into view:
"Arf woof!" <There's the first house!>
"Huh, that was quick."
"Woof voof." <I strapped roller skates to your feet while you weren't looking.>

Link pranced up to the door, swung off his mailbag, undid the clasp, pawed through the letters, picked out the right one, nosed it under the door, picked up his mailbag again, gave two barks:
"Woof woof!" <You've got mail!>
...and galloped off.
"Awoof." <On to the next house.>
Johann looked at the house for a few seconds, "That was...professional."

(Event point used, 2 remaining.)

Deleted User - 819397

Name: Regal Bloggs
Race: Werewolf
Age*: 25
Characteristics: His hair and eyes are naturally royal blue. He despises guns, preferring to use his families' heirlooms: an axe and a shield.
Equipment: His families' heirlooms: an axe and a shield (woah, deja-vu)
Appearance: Tall, thin. Royal Blue hair and eyes.
Personality: Quiet...prefers to listen to others, only offering his opinion when he feels it counts. Very calm and peaceful.
Profession: antiques repairman
Acquaintances*: none. He is slightly a loner, although he does apparently have feelings for someone in town...he just doesn't show it outwardly.
NPC behavior: Listens to all opinions, weighing their importance against his own before saying anything.
Pet Name: Regal
Wolf Attire*: a sapphire necklace. It appears when he transforms, disappears when he returns to human.
Wolf Appearance: Fur is the same color as his hair in human form. Unusually long snout.
Wolf NPC Behaviour*: Avoiding contact with uninfected humans. He does not wish others to be like he is. Still is reserved, but more aggressive.
Moon Sensitivity: Transforms early if sky is clear the night before the full moon, otherwise as soon as the moon rises. Turns back at the end of the full moon if sky is clear, if sky is cloudy he remains as a wolf until the sun rises the next day.

Deleted User - 819397

Regal was coming back from getting more polish when he noticed Link and Johann standing outside a home. He walked over, raising a hand in greeting. "What brings you to this area of town?" Johann asked.
"Just enjoying the day..." Regal replied, although he kept glancing at a house a few doors away.
"Roof"
"No...I didn't steal anything from that house..."
"Roof Arf..ruf?"
"...I don't know..." Regal was beginning to regret his choice to come this way at all. Recognizing his discomfort, Johann stepped in.
"Link, I don't think Regal wants to talk about it or have his motives questioned. "
"Thank you...I don't..." Regal replied.

(I'm changing 2 things about my bio...I'll mark the changed areas with a *)

DeletedUser14280

For future reference, when Link talks, I hide what he says in invisible text next to the woof woofs.
Just highlight the entire post to see translations.

Also, I noticed that the Wolfscold Solution I introduced bears a bit of similarity to the Wolfsbane Potion in Harry Potter. Fancy that.

"Aruf, ruf ruf?" Link asked. <So, changing the subject, have you heard about the murderer on the loose?>
"No, no, I haven't at all!" Regal said wildly.
"Grruff woof." <I'm not accusing you, silly. No, someone unidentifiable has broken into three homes and assaulted the owners. He murdered the last one.>
"Can't the police stop him?" Johann asked.
"Voof." <That's the thing, they can't. The culprit is completely impossible to identify.>

DeletedUser13682

Johann thought for a minute about the killer. "I wonder if he used one of my rifles. It wouldn't be lifechanging to find out that they were. In fact, it would help a lot. I remember my rifles, their marks, and who all that stuff goes to. I could identify the killer if he had one of my rifles. But I doubt that, since he is probably from here, and knows that I can do that." Johann, trying to get to a different subject, went back to Link's plans tonight. "So Link, you havne't really mentioned your girlfriend much. How's she doing?"

Deleted User - 819397

Regal frowned. This killer wasn't exactly a common person if he had managed to break into three homes, assault three people, and kill one, all while avoiding detection, then there was something worrying going on for sure.

"Does anyone know ANYTHING about the murderer?" he asked, once again glancing at the house he kept looking at. "I'm not talking about like where they live or whatever...just anything..."

DeletedUser14280

"Rrr-ruff." Link explained. <Apparently, the killer is a barghest, like me. The police aren't even sure about that, though.>
"Rrr-woof." <I'm nearly done with the deliveries, we could go down to the police station and ask if you wanted.>

(Go to the police station?)

DeletedUser13682

Johann thought this over. "Well, that means I can't help detect the weapon. Probably they used their claws anyway." He sighed, and grabbed his mail from Link's mail bag. "Bills, bills, bills. Hey, something from Autumn. Looks like she'll be back tomorrow." He tucked the letter into one of his pockets, and started heading toward the police station. "Come on. Let's see what the cops know about the barghest killer."

DeletedUser14280

Link and Johann, along with a somewhat shifty Regal, went to the police station to check up on the progress of the investigation.
When they got there...

"The killer's struck again?" Johann asked.
"That's right, and this time it was Preston Knight, the really rich guy." the officer on duty explained. "He's not dead, but he's kind've badly injured."
"Arf woof?" Link asked. <Can we talk to him?>
"What'd he say?" The officer couldn't understand Link.
"He asked if we could talk to Preston." Regal piped up.
The officer laughed, "Do you three fancy yourselves investigators? Don't worry, we can get this crook on our own, you don't need to help."

Deleted User - 819397

Regal frowned. "So now what's our next move?" he asked.

"Perhaps we could spread out and look for something suspicious around town?" Johann suggested.

"Sounds good to me..." Regal replied.

"Ruff arf!" <I'm for it.>

"I'll take the eastern portion...Regal, you take the northern, Link, with your speed, you could cover south and west...sound good?" Johann asked. Both Regal and Link nodded and headed off.

(Event point used. 1 remaining) (thx for letting me know Celxius)

DeletedUser13682

"Great. I always get stuck with the east. Even though it was my plan, I gave myself the east out of habit. And that's the exact opposite end of town from home." Johann sighed, and walked over to the east end of town. After a few hours of searching, and finding nothing except a bar specializing in Stroh 80, Johann's favorite drink, he walked back to the post office, carrying 5 bottles of Stroh in a backpack. "Well, I didn't find anything important, but I did get some Stroh 80. 160 proof alcohol. Great stuff. You guys should try some." Johann handed bottles of Stroh to Regal and Link, mayhaps Johann had a bit too much to drink?

DeletedUser14280

ZOOOOOM!
Link tore up the west side of town like a cheetah loaded with sugar.
ZOOOOOM!
He took a left turn into the public gardens.
ZOOOO-*trip*

CRASH! KABONG! BANG! Pingaling... PISH! KAPOW! BONG! WHACK! Gloing-oing-oing...

Link realised that he had merely fallen over after tripping, and the sound effects were coming out of his own muzzle.
Standing straight up, he marched over to the object that tripped him up.
<What's this? A bottle?>
He scooped it up in his paw. Out of the grass, he could see it clearly.
<It is a bottle! One of those magic ones. For alchemy or whatever. And it's full.>
He uncorked it with his teeth and took a whiff of the blue liquid inside.
<Mmm...smells like mint.>
Pushing the cork back on, Link picked up the bottle gingerly in his mouth and ran off to show Johann and Regal.

Back in front of the police station...
<Huh. Johann and Regal aren't back yet. Maybe I'll...>
Link poked his nose back into the police station and surreptitiously left the bottle of blue liquid on the table inside.
When he came outside again, he could see Regal coming back.

(This is shortly before Johann returns.)

Deleted User - 819397

Regal headed to the northern part of town. He was slightly mollified at the fact that Johann had inadvertently given him the area of town his house/workshop was at. He stopped off for a minute, checking on the artifact he had been repairing. Satisfied with the job so far, he started to walk out. Something made him grab his axe and shield on the way out, the axe partially hidden within the shield. He continued looking around the section he had been assigned, but found nothing of interest, so he headed back to where they had split up.

(this brings us all to Johann with the liquor, each with our own observations)

DeletedUser14280

Link took a bottle from Johann and looked at it.
"Wuff." <I don't like alcohol...>
"That's alright, you don't have to drink it, Link."
"Rr-ruff-ruff." <I found something interesting in the park.>
"Really? What was it?"
"Br-ruff-ruff." <One of those bottles that you use in alchemy. I left it just inside the station.>